Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sir James Dyson plan to fill UK's engineering vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Sir James Dyson plan to fill UK's engineering vacuum
Original Message   Mar 10, 2010 11:04 am
James Dyson has voiced his feelings in regard to what it will take to save Britain's manufacturing industry in a report commissioned by the country's Conservative Party.  An interesting read and plenty of UK reader comments follow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/7400742/Sir-James-Dyson-plan-to-fill-UKs-engineering-vacuum.html

M00seUK and vacmanuk, I'll be glad to learn what you think.

Venson

Replies: 40 - 49 of 78Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
M00seUK

Re: Sir James Dyson plan to fill UK's engineering vacuum
Reply #40   Apr 28, 2010 3:03 am
Two pieces of news off the back of the Dyson R&D job announcement this week...

Sunday Times Rich List 2010
Whilst I personally think these lists are little more than speculation, if you do follow them you might be interested to learn that James Dyson has seen his net worth rise 64 per cent from GBP 560m to GBP 920m
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8117554.Dyson_cleans_up_in_the_rich_list/

Royal approval for AirBlade
The Sun newspaper reports that Buckingham Palace has been fitted out with the Dyson AirBlade and illustrated by a mock-up photo of the Queen using the hand drier. Perfect news fodder for getting their message in to the tabloids - Dyson's PR machine is as well oiled as ever.

Venson

Reply #41   Apr 28, 2010 3:20 am
M00seUK wrote:
. . . Dyson's PR machine is as well oiled as ever.

Hi MOOseUK,

These days that's what it's all about.  Hearsay, sound bytes and video clips to make you feel "fluffy" inside.  I'd ask if in reality the queen sent someone off to Harrod's or wherever to buy a houseful of fans or if Dyson somehow "contributed" to the effort.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #42   Apr 28, 2010 7:12 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Not having a fan that has to have its impellers cleaned because of dust forming on them is better in my book Carmine. When Dyson first launched the upright vac in the UK hardly anyone bought them because they were too expensive. However prices do drop due to demand and purchase. It wont be long before Dyson brings a small model to the market. It is a clean proposition when considering an air fan.

No blades to clean and concern about in AC. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #43   Apr 28, 2010 7:14 am
M00seUK wrote:
Two pieces of news off the back of the Dyson R&D job announcement this week...

Sunday Times Rich List 2010
Whilst I personally think these lists are little more than speculation, if you do follow them you might be interested to learn that James Dyson has seen his net worth rise 64 per cent from GBP 560m to GBP 920m
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8117554.Dyson_cleans_up_in_the_rich_list/

Royal approval for AirBlade
The Sun newspaper reports that Buckingham Palace has been fitted out with the Dyson AirBlade and illustrated by a mock-up photo of the Queen using the hand drier. Perfect news fodder for getting their message in to the tabloids - Dyson's PR machine is as well oiled as ever.

Spelled vacuum wrong in the first sentence.  And is using 2008 financial and wealth results.  Dah!  It's 2010.  Sir James is living in the past glory days.  Time to get a new gig/rap. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 28, 2010 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #44   Apr 28, 2010 5:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Spelled vacuum wrong in the first sentence.  And is using 2008 financial and wealth results.  Dah!  It's 2010.  Sir James is living in the past glory days.  Time to get a new gig/rap. 

Carmine D.

1) Vacuum spelling: It's a local newspaper - they probably can't afford to employ a sub-editor at the moment.
2) 2008 results: To be fair, Dyson only currently have public accounts made up to 31 Dec 2008.
M00seUK

Reply #45   Apr 28, 2010 5:43 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi MOOseUK,

These days that's what it's all about.  Hearsay, sound bytes and video clips to make you feel "fluffy" inside.  I'd ask if in reality the queen sent someone off to Harrod's or wherever to buy a houseful of fans or if Dyson somehow "contributed" to the effort.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson, yes indeed. There's been a fair number of British companies with good consumer products, but most haven't a clue when it came to good PR. Many had this 'old school' business attitude and were deep down resentful of enquires from journalists. It would be fair to say that Dyson quickly embraced the American style of PR and haven't looked back since.

With the 'royal' airblade sales, I'm sure Dyson would have considered supplying them at cost, if asked. But, I'd imagine the Royal family aren't pushed when it comes to building maintenance costs and so equally, Dyson could have called the shots. One of the benefits of having a unique product offering.
vacmanuk

Reply #46   Apr 28, 2010 5:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
No blades to clean and concern about in AC. 

Carmine D.

Air conditioning to my mind is a heavy air/fridge coolant cooled unit. Desk fans and large stand fans are what Dyson's new fan could in theory replace.
CarmineD

Reply #47   Apr 28, 2010 7:08 pm
M00seUK wrote:
1) Vacuum spelling: It's a local newspaper - they probably can't afford to employ a sub-editor at the moment.
2) 2008 results: To be fair, Dyson only currently have public accounts made up to 31 Dec 2008.

M00seUK:

You can only spend what you have now, not what you had Dec 31, 2008.  WRT spelling vacuum, who needs an editor to get it right?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #48   Apr 28, 2010 7:11 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Air conditioning to my mind is a heavy air/fridge coolant cooled unit. Desk fans and large stand fans are what Dyson's new fan could in theory replace.

Not so in the USA.  A/C units both window and room are lightweight, portable and available at prices comparable to dyson's 10-12 inch desk top fan at $300.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #49   May 3, 2010 9:02 am
EU countries came to the financial rescue of Greece this weekend.  Word in the news here is the UK is next to go belly up, even before Italy, Ireland, Spain and Portugal, with debt levels comparable to Greece and worse.

Carmine D.

Replies: 40 - 49 of 78Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42