Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > CR's BEST and WORST Cleaning Products

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

CR's BEST and WORST Cleaning Products
Original Message   Apr 26, 2010 7:19 pm
http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/365/best-and-worst-cleaning-products/m

Excerpted from current month's Consumer Reports.

Enjoy.

Carmine D.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: CR's BEST and WORST Cleaning Products
Reply #9   Apr 28, 2010 7:26 am
Interestingly the electric HOOVER floor washer was first marketed by HOOVER in the late 50's and not very popular for the prices.  In 2000, after HOOVER was acquired by MAYTAG, HOOVER reintroed the product as the Floormate.  It was an instant success and has been selling at all big box retailers since in the $100-$160 price range depending on attachments and solutions.  I have and use one for the last 6 years.  First, for my daughter's house, and now mine two.  Same machine.  Dual use.  Still as good as new.  Perfect, it's not.  But useful and worth the money.  Most definitely.  ESpecially for me, who doesn't like to use a mop.  Recently, the baptism fount at the church overflowed.  No one looking after it while it was being filled.  The Sea of Galilee all over the altar and floor.  7:30 and Mass staring at 8 with persons arriving.  As I was assisting the custodian with mops, I kept thinking if I only had my HOOVER FM this 30 minute 2 man job would be done in 10 minutes.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #10   Apr 28, 2010 7:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Interestingly the electric HOOVER floor washer was first marketed by HOOVER in the late 50's and not very popular for the prices.  In 2000, after HOOVER was acquired by MAYTAG, HOOVER reintroed the product as the Floormate.  It was an instant success and has been selling at all big box retailers since in the $100-$160 price range depending on attachments and solutions.  I have and use one for the last 6 years.  First, for my daughter's house, and now mine two.  Same machine.  Dual use.  Still as good as new.  Perfect, it's not.  But useful and worth the money.  Most definitely.  ESpecially for me, who doesn't like to use a mop.  Recently, the baptism fount at the church overflowed.  No one looking after it while it was being filled.  The Sea of Galilee all over the altar and floor.  7:30 and Mass staring at 8 with persons arriving.  As I was assisting the custodian with mops, I kept thinking if I only had my HOOVER FM this 30 minute 2 man job would be done in 10 minutes.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

I have found that a little simple green / greased lightening and some off the stove  hot  water really works great in my spinscrub.....then a water/rinse after a couple hrs..my spinscrub really does a great job on my very light tan carpet.....tried it on my tile in the kitchen...not great...not bad/wife not impressed...will continue to do it by hand. the only thing id change on it would be some slightly stiffer brushes..but its by far the best in-home carpet cleaner for the money...wonder if dyson will design one?hmmm

turtle

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #11   Apr 29, 2010 12:34 pm
hooverman wrote:
Its due to Hoover's exclusive SpinScrub that OUTPERFORMS its competitors.  Not even a RotoVac or commercial carpet cleaner machines can outdo a Hoover SpinScrub Steam Vac.  I've used rental machines & had carpet cleaned by pros; then used the SpinScrub classic (pulled more dirt) & scrubbed away all the stains that nothing else touched.  If I had carpet, I'd buy the Platinum shampooer (but want to know how good it is) but with the FloorMATE SpinScrub, that shows how much dirt can come off your hard floors too.  EMBARRASSING to live with filthy carpets/floors--that's what a Hoover's recovery tank shows after cleaning!

How good does a Steam Vac do on hard floors vs. a FloorMATE?  The SV's bristles are longer than the bristles on the FM; hoping the SV cleans the grout better than a FM?

I have a Hoover Spinscrub classic, and I would disagree with you somewhat.   Between what the pets bring in and what various members of the family spill, the Hoover does fairly well.  It does dry the carpeting fairly well.  However, it does not clean as well as a professional cleaning by Stanley Steemer.   Some stains, such as when the dog puked on the floor and it interacted with the furniture stain were not removable by any means.  Unfortunately,the dog made this mess in the middle of the night and it wasn't discovered for 12 hours.  Even though the Hoover's a good machine, it may pay to occasionally have a professional clean your carpeting. 

CR was generally positive on the Rug Doctor, but said that it left carpets wetter than others.  I assume that's because Rug Doctor has a real pump to spray the cleaning solution into the carpeting.   I don't know if CR resprayed the carpeting with each of the 20 passes that they made.  My understanding of Rug Doctor machines is that you spray only once, but you can go over the carpeting multiple times without spraying solution.  The RugDoctor reviews on the costco.com web site are all excellent.  In addition, the Rug Doctor has the Carpet and Rug Institute Seal of Approval.  From costco ad: "The Rug Doctor Mighty Pro is the only extractor for the consumer market that is approved for superior cleaning by the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI). The CRI Seal of Approval program identifies effective carpet cleaning solutions and equipment that clean carpet right the first time and protects a facility's carpet investment."   

This message was modified Apr 29, 2010 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
hooverman

Reply #12   Apr 29, 2010 8:49 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Having HAD a Hoover Floormate SpinScrub hard floor cleaner and then a Dirt Devil / Vax model I can testify that despite the brushes, having to take it out, fill it up, use it, clean it, switch it off is far harder than cleaning with a steam mop. Over grout lines and "off ground," surfaces, steam mops without brushes still remove the dirt faster on microfibre cloths than having the brushes attack it. I was shocked the first time I used a steam mop just after using the Hoover model on my parents simple flat vinyl kitchen floor. That and the fact that when the floor was being sucked up to dry the surfaces there aren't any trail lines left by the wheels on the steam mop because there aren't any - unlike the electrical brush assisted "wash" vacuums. Brushes are fine with carpets however but for hard floors, my vote goes to the cheap and better thought out steam mop.

U can cut those green scrub pads (available at grocery store's cleaning aisle) & put them on the FloorMate's SpinScrub brushes or put a 1" spring (4 oz pressure) inside the brush (between spray bar & brush under nozzle) & the FM will do heavy-duty scrubbing of the DIRTIEST floors.  Or U can remove the nozzle when the FM is on WET SCRUB mode; then put on the nozzle & move switch to WET PICKUP mode.  I do both tricks & my floors have never been so clean & had that lustrous shine til after "floormating" the floors.
CarmineD

Reply #13   May 2, 2010 7:57 am
hooverman wrote:
U can cut those green scrub pads (available at grocery store's cleaning aisle) & put them on the FloorMate's SpinScrub brushes or put a 1" spring (4 oz pressure) inside the brush (between spray bar & brush under nozzle) & the FM will do heavy-duty scrubbing of the DIRTIEST floors.  Or U can remove the nozzle when the FM is on WET SCRUB mode; then put on the nozzle & move switch to WET PICKUP mode.  I do both tricks & my floors have never been so clean & had that lustrous shine til after "floormating" the floors.

You have me scratching my head on these suggestions.  How exactly do these little cut out green pads stay affixed to the FM's spin scrub brushes during operation?  With grout lines in the tile and back and forth FM motions, I envision these pads getting spun out into space and all over the floor.  What's your trick?

Carmine D.

hooverman

Reply #14   May 2, 2010 6:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You have me scratching my head on these suggestions.  How exactly do these little cut out green pads stay affixed to the FM's spin scrub brushes during operation?  With grout lines in the tile and back and forth FM motions, I envision these pads getting spun out into space and all over the floor.  What's your trick?

Carmine D.

Converting a FloorMATE SpinScrub to a "Super FloorMATE"

If U look under the SpinScrub brushes; U will see 6 or 7 Phillips screws (depends on mdl)

1. Remove the Phillips screws
  2. Cut the green scrubber pads into 1" squares (6 squares for 13" models [H3000, H3010, H3030, H3050]; 7 for 15" mdls [H3040, H3044, H3045, H3060])
  3. Poke hole on CENTER of the 1" square pads
  4. Replace screws with pads onto brushes
  5. Re-attach the SpinScrub brushes onto FloorMATE
  6. Now your "modified" Super FloorMATE can scrub away the most stubborn dirt that the FloorMATE's bristles couldn't touch!

The scrubber pads will work better on the Grout SpinScrub brushes (grey bristles) than the white SS brushes.  Sometimes this trick might stop the brushes (when using the white brushes) thanks to the brush motor's sensitive overload protector.

Overall I think the H3000 style FM is the best of all FMs; not sure about the H3030/H3040/H3060 style FMs.

retardturtle1

Reply #15   May 2, 2010 8:09 pm
hooverman wrote:
Converting a FloorMATE SpinScrub to a "Super FloorMATE"

If U look under the SpinScrub brushes; U will see 6 or 7 Phillips screws (depends on mdl)

1. Remove the Phillips screws
  2. Cut the green scrubber pads into 1" squares (6 squares for 13" models [H3000, H3010, H3030, H3050]; 7 for 15" mdls [H3040, H3044, H3045, H3060])
  3. Poke hole on CENTER of the 1" square pads
  4. Replace screws with pads onto brushes
  5. Re-attach the SpinScrub brushes onto FloorMATE
  6. Now your "modified" Super FloorMATE can scrub away the most stubborn dirt that the FloorMATE's bristles couldn't touch!

The scrubber pads will work better on the Grout SpinScrub brushes (grey bristles) than the white SS brushes.  Sometimes this trick might stop the brushes (when using the white brushes) thanks to the brush motor's sensitive overload protector.

Overall I think the H3000 style FM is the best of all FMs; not sure about the H3030/H3040/H3060 style FMs.

HI  hooverman....Nifty idea...make the best of what you have and make it work for you....i like the way u think and look forward to reading more about your ideas.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #16   May 3, 2010 6:57 am
What's the usage/run time for the pads before they wear out and/or wear thru the screws and fall off the brushes?

Carmine D.

hooverman

Reply #17   May 3, 2010 5:28 pm
CarmineD wrote:
What's the usage/run time for the pads before they wear out and/or wear thru the screws and fall off the brushes?

Carmine D.

Not sure about how long the pads will last before changing them; will have to see later on.
CarmineD

Reply #18   May 4, 2010 8:35 am
hooverman wrote:
Not sure about how long the pads will last before changing them; will have to see later on.

Ball park estimate is fine.  One usage, two, multiple.  Trying to determine if your trick is more economical than purchasing the attachments that come with the FM.

Carmine D.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42