Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dysons filtration?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dysons filtration?
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm
How sealed are Dysons? And how good is their filtration? I know the uprights - at least the older, older ones like the DC07 and such might have potential problems with sealing, such as show in this video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ However there could simply be something wrong w/ that one, who knows. BUT ANYWAYS, are the NEWER uprights COMPLETELY sealed? What about their canisters, such as the DC22, 23? Like does any air blow out of the cord reel or such, or ONLY out of the exhaust where it's SUPPOSED to come out from?
Replies: 155 - 164 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: Dysons filtration?
Reply #155   Apr 21, 2010 4:29 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
The thing is though, is a clean fan system better than dirty fan though? Ive seen good vacuums last for years in both camps and both are relatively great at pick up.

Both systems are bagged/filter...and outer bag as filter......id say the fan first would be the best at deep cleaning. but the clean air would  filter better...

quieter (some) ....and dont have to worry about  fan breaking...washing the outter bag. ..but a sanitaire comm is a true cleaning beast...i had a 684 and gifted to my sis in law.

either of the above are still better than bagless......just my point of view/pref.

turtle

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #156   Apr 21, 2010 4:55 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Both systems are bagged/filter...and outer bag as filter......id say the fan first would be the best at deep cleaning. but the clean air would  filter better...

quieter (some) ....and dont have to worry about  fan breaking...washing the outter bag. ..but a sanitaire comm is a true cleaning beast...i had a 684 and gifted to my sis in law.

either of the above are still better than bagless......just my point of view/pref.

turtle

Just to play devil's advocate, since our little devil dustmite hasn't responded, doesn't the Dyson have a nice premotor filter to keep the motor clean?   It seems like the talk of leakage has been with the seals going into the dirt canister, but not so much dirt into the motor.  I certainly don't work on Dysons or any other vacuum, so I can't say whether the motors stay clean. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
retardturtle1

Reply #157   Apr 21, 2010 6:34 pm
Severus wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate, since our little devil dustmite hasn't responded, doesn't the Dyson have a nice premotor filter to keep the motor clean?   It seems like the talk of leakage has been with the seals going into the dirt canister, but not so much dirt into the motor.  I certainly don't work on Dysons or any other vacuum, so I can't say whether the motors stay clean. 

Hi Severus

On my dc7 i noticed a very faint dusting just aft my pre mtr filter aft a weeks worth of use.....and a faint amount after the post hepa

on its lower spine...but not every week , just from time to time....pre filter was spotless......so im only guessing a seal leak/leaks at the

filters...but never any problems with upper seals. Id say they do filter very well...as they should due to its thickness (pre mtr).

Better filter media (cut to fit ?) thinner that filters just as well yet not as restrictive would improve suction/perf is a test i wished i had done on it .

I think it would be worth a try....just to see... they also have charcoal filter inserts for the dysons post/pre mtr....a worthy investment.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #158   Apr 22, 2010 9:09 am
Severus wrote:

Hi Severus:

For the most part, save some examples provided here and elsewhere, the post multi-cyclones filtering is decent on dysons.  At issue, at least for me, from my personal and professional perpsectives is the dyson cyclones' filtration.  Root 3 is the most dyson advanced cyclonic system.  Fine dust and dirt lodges/accumulates in the cyclone separators over time and with use.  This is the quintessential operational/performance advantages of good bagged vacuums over bagless, even the Root 3 dysons.  if I am correct, most industry professionals and vacuum makers will tell you this too.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #159   Apr 22, 2010 2:26 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Severus:

For the most part, save some examples provided here and elsewhere, the post multi-cyclones filtering is decent on dysons.  At issue, at least for me, from my personal and professional perpsectives is the dyson cyclones' filtration.  Root 3 is the most dyson advanced cyclonic system.  Fine dust and dirt lodges/accumulates in the cyclone separators over time and with use.  This is the quintessential operational/performance advantages of good bagged vacuums over bagless, even the Root 3 dysons.  if I am correct, most industry professionals and vacuum makers will tell you this too.

Carmine D.

Hi carmine

Not worked on any dyson above the dc14.....but noticed this build-up also....some more than others...some none at all.

Would have figured dyson would have dealt with this issue by now....or is this no longer a problem.....does the pre filter seem a little too

thick to you....why foam? do you just not like the filters (pre and post) themselves......

turtle

Venson

Reply #160   Apr 22, 2010 3:32 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi carmine

....why foam? turtle

Foam cleans up very easily and its economical -- or should be.  The foam pre-filter in my Kenmore Iridium was easy to remove and replace.  Just a drop of dish detergent along with a few squeezes until the water ran clear under a running tap and it came clean as a whistle.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #161   Apr 22, 2010 4:42 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi carmine

Not worked on any dyson above the dc14.....but noticed this build-up also....some more than others...some none at all.

Would have figured dyson would have dealt with this issue by now....or is this no longer a problem.....does the pre filter seem a little too

thick to you....why foam? do you just not like the filters (pre and post) themselves......

turtle

Hello turtle1:

The dyson fix IMHO came after the now famous ASA decision which nixed dyson's use of its mantra:  Never clogs, never loses suction.  The fixes are: Dyson added Root 3 cyclones, an additional core separator for fine dust/dirt; dyson discontinued the DC07 which doesn't have Root 3, and is phasing out the DC14 too, which doesn't have it.  Plus dyson reduced the filter cleaning maintenance times from 6-9 months [on the DC07 and DC14] to 2-3 months on all models after.  Plus dyson reduced the Air Watts on these later models and reduced the dirt bin capacities too.  

When dyson finally uses its DDM in a full size bagless vacuum [cann/upright] with Air Watts comparable to DC07/DC14 and equivalent sized dirt bins of these models and reverts back to 6-9 months for filter maintenance under normal conditions, then and only then will dyson have addressed the weaknesses in its cyclones.  More likely, if dyson is willing to eat some much deserved crow after bashing paper bags and the vacuum industry for using them, dyson will produce/market a bagged full size vacuum with DDM.  The latter may happen before DDM is used by dyson in a full size bagless vacuum with all the specs I named above from DC07 and DC14 [AW, dirt bin size and 6-9 month filter service]. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 22, 2010 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #162   Apr 22, 2010 6:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello turtle1:

The dyson fix IMHO came after the now famous ASA decision which nixed dyson's use of its mantra:  Never clogs, never loses suction.  The fixes are: Dyson added Root 3 cyclones, an additional core separator for fine dust/dirt; dyson discontinued the DC07 which doesn't have Root 3, and is phasing out the DC14 too, which doesn't have it.  Plus dyson reduced the filter cleaning maintenance times from 6-9 months [on the DC07 and DC14] to 2-3 months on all models after.  Plus dyson reduced the Air Watts on these later models and reduced the dirt bin capacities too.  

When dyson finally uses its DDM in a full size bagless vacuum [cann/upright] with Air Watts comparable to DC07/DC14 and equivalent sized dirt bins of these models and reverts back to 6-9 months for filter maintenance under normal conditions, then and only then will dyson have addressed the weaknesses in its cyclones.  More likely, if dyson is willing to eat some much deserved crow after bashing paper bags and the vacuum industry for using them, dyson will produce/market a bagged full size vacuum with DDM.  The latter may happen before DDM is used by dyson in a full size bagless vacuum with all the specs I named above from DC07 and DC14 [AW, dirt bin size and 6-9 month filter service]. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Very interesting......i figured the increase in airwatts would overwhelm the root3......could the 7 handle more airwatts than what its currently rated at....you think.

So whats your take on the pre filter.....your views.

turtle

retardturtle1

Reply #163   Apr 22, 2010 6:28 pm
Venson wrote:
Foam cleans up very easily and its economical -- or should be.  The foam pre-filter in my Kenmore Iridium was easy to remove and replace.  Just a drop of dish detergent along with a few squeezes until the water ran clear under a running tap and it came clean as a whistle.

Venson

Hi Venson

I like the easy clean up of them.....but the pre on the dyson is pretty thick/somewhat dense ....seems like it would be a bit constrictive..not the best for airflow/suction

id say....but could be wrong on that.  Not seen the pre/mtr  for the iridium yet..... how thick is it compaired to the dysons and is your foam as dense.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #164   Apr 22, 2010 8:38 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

Very interesting......i figured the increase in airwatts would overwhelm the root3......could the 7 handle more airwatts than what its currently rated at....you think.

So whats your take on the pre filter.....your views.

turtle

Of much more concern to me turtle1 than pre-post motor filters for $15 and $30 that require mandatory washing every 2-3 months under normal use conditions for the warranty, which is a huge concern, is this:

Cyclone assembly

$75.99

Replacement cyclone assembly.

Part No. 904861-47

Cyclone assembly

Carmine D.

Replies: 155 - 164 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42