Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dysons filtration?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dysons filtration?
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm
How sealed are Dysons? And how good is their filtration? I know the uprights - at least the older, older ones like the DC07 and such might have potential problems with sealing, such as show in this video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ However there could simply be something wrong w/ that one, who knows. BUT ANYWAYS, are the NEWER uprights COMPLETELY sealed? What about their canisters, such as the DC22, 23? Like does any air blow out of the cord reel or such, or ONLY out of the exhaust where it's SUPPOSED to come out from?
Replies: 147 - 156 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dysons filtration?
Reply #147   Apr 20, 2010 7:20 am
vacmanuk wrote:
No I'm not a fan of British Allergy Foundation because many years ago I wrote to them on numerous occassions asking them how they could endorse Dyson vacuums based on the fact that once they get emptied dust flies out. Their reply was that the companies like Dyson pay the BAF for their name. It's a simple as that. I'm dubious when it comes to companies like BAF after replies like that!

The question/answer is can a entity which charges for its seal, assuming it still does and you are correct, still provide a valuable service to consumers.  They have to survive to stay in business.  Charging is a way.  Is it for the approval?  Is it for the testing to deem worthy?  Both?   Probably the latter.  If the product meets minimal standards it's deemed worthy.  If it is so bad, I suspect rather than diminish the value of the seal, especially for other paying product brands who will pull their membership, the entity would refund the money and say sorry.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 20, 2010 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #148   Apr 20, 2010 1:32 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
MM just look for yourself when dust statically clings to the outer side of the acrylic bin once it has been emptied!

To be fair guys we can go on and on about Dyson filtration until the cows come home and who said what and who is incorrect. End of the day Dysons and any other bagless cyclonic just isn't healthy. I've raised this issue before and I'll say it again - bags are healthier even if they do clog up and if the medical profession such as surgeries and hospitals still use vacuums with bags then there's something in that use (surely it costs more?) alone to why bagged vacuums are better, and even if buyers have to buy bags, they still have to buy drive belts for other Dyson models or anything else that happens to go wrong with it.

excellent point.......it all goes in the bag where it belongs ..keeping filters clean ....to filter.  if its the hospital standard...then its  great for in home use.

Good quality bags and filters makes for an unbeatable clean....cant get any better than that.

turtle

retardturtle1

Reply #149   Apr 20, 2010 2:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The question/answer is can a entity which charges for its seal, assuming it still does and you are correct, still provide a valuable service to consumers.  They have to survive to stay in business.  Charging is a way.  Is it for the approval?  Is it for the testing to deem worthy?  Both?   Probably the latter.  If the product meets minimal standards it's deemed worthy.  If it is so bad, I suspect rather than diminish the value of the seal, especially for other paying product brands who will pull their membership, the entity would refund the money and say sorry.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Id like to see some long term tests....say a couple of years [2 and 5] down the road. Give the vac to a fam. of 4....in your avg home, [with annual service/maint ] then do the

same rigorous testing that was done when it was new.....i would think this would answer alot of questions/solve problems on overall

performance and build quality...how sealed is the hepa system now...or the vacuum itself....i without a doubt believe a bagged vacuum will outperform/ filter and 

prove itself to be more durable than any bagless [of equal value] across the board...... several years down the road in uncontrolled real life  enviorments...those that

have proven themselves would recieve ...say the'  ULTRA platinum seal of appvl from  the CRI-BAF-CR-ect.

turtle

HARDSELL

Reply #150   Apr 20, 2010 5:56 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

Id like to see some long term tests....say a couple of years [2 and 5] down the road. Give the vac to a fam. of 4....in your avg home, [with annual service/maint ] then do the

same rigorous testing that was done when it was new.....i would think this would answer alot of questions/solve problems on overall

performance and build quality...how sealed is the hepa system now...or the vacuum itself....i without a doubt believe a bagged vacuum will outperform/ filter and 

prove itself to be more durable than any bagless [of equal value] across the board...... several years down the road in uncontrolled real life  enviorments...those that

have proven themselves would recieve ...say the'  ULTRA platinum seal of appvl from  the CRI-BAF-CR-ect.

turtle

What is included in the annual service and what does it cost?
retardturtle1

Reply #151   Apr 20, 2010 6:44 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
What is included in the annual service and what does it cost?

Repair/replace whats  broke/broken...new belts, bag ,filters, clean out roller bearings ..check out  motor, take body apart and wash inside and out

...polish up the outside. keep it looking and running as good as the day you bought from us.....3yrs top to bottom coverage 5 yrs motor....min.

on any and all vacs bought from us......if you buy elswhere and bring to us its 29.99  for our outstanding full service perfomed by yours truely.

anything worth keeping is worth the maint......no matter what you have or who made it.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #152   Apr 21, 2010 7:11 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

turtle

Hello turtle:

The closest thing that comes to your recommendation is the CR reliability data for vacuums.  It comes with alot of caveats in the interpretations of results.  The American Society for Testing and Materials [ASTM] was used for a long time in the vacuum industry as the standard for testing vacuum product performance especially with suction and pick up.  Ultimately, it comes down to vacuum customers and vacuum stores.  Word of mouth among the front line vacuum businesses and their clientele which spreads throughout the industry and markets. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 21, 2010 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #153   Apr 21, 2010 9:30 am
retardturtle1 wrote:

excellent point.......it all goes in the bag where it belongs ..keeping filters clean ....to filter.  if its the hospital standard...then its  great for in home use.

Good quality bags and filters makes for an unbeatable clean....cant get any better than that.

turtle

Pretty much strait forward and to the point, The cleaner that does the best job of keeping dirty air and debris out oif the fans,bearings,etc. will last the longest.

A clean running electric motor is a happy electric motor. So are we in agreement that a bagged, filtered , is the best for vacuum motor applications?

Fan first machines clean very well but require more maintainence, by pass top load uprights are the way to go.And even a true 2 motor upright is a dirt eating machine that will last for an average of 20 years in household aplications.

Any body remember the E-LUX D2...........

mole

vacmanuk

Reply #154   Apr 21, 2010 1:31 pm
mole wrote:
Pretty much strait forward and to the point, The cleaner that does the best job of keeping dirty air and debris out oif the fans,bearings,etc. will last the longest.

A clean running electric motor is a happy electric motor. So are we in agreement that a bagged, filtered , is the best for vacuum motor applications?

Fan first machines clean very well but require more maintainence, by pass top load uprights are the way to go.And even a true 2 motor upright is a dirt eating machine that will last for an average of 20 years in household aplications.

Any body remember the E-LUX D2...........

mole

The thing is though, is a clean fan system better than dirty fan though? Ive seen good vacuums last for years in both camps and both are relatively great at pick up.
retardturtle1

Reply #155   Apr 21, 2010 4:29 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
The thing is though, is a clean fan system better than dirty fan though? Ive seen good vacuums last for years in both camps and both are relatively great at pick up.

Both systems are bagged/filter...and outer bag as filter......id say the fan first would be the best at deep cleaning. but the clean air would  filter better...

quieter (some) ....and dont have to worry about  fan breaking...washing the outter bag. ..but a sanitaire comm is a true cleaning beast...i had a 684 and gifted to my sis in law.

either of the above are still better than bagless......just my point of view/pref.

turtle

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #156   Apr 21, 2010 4:55 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Both systems are bagged/filter...and outer bag as filter......id say the fan first would be the best at deep cleaning. but the clean air would  filter better...

quieter (some) ....and dont have to worry about  fan breaking...washing the outter bag. ..but a sanitaire comm is a true cleaning beast...i had a 684 and gifted to my sis in law.

either of the above are still better than bagless......just my point of view/pref.

turtle

Just to play devil's advocate, since our little devil dustmite hasn't responded, doesn't the Dyson have a nice premotor filter to keep the motor clean?   It seems like the talk of leakage has been with the seals going into the dirt canister, but not so much dirt into the motor.  I certainly don't work on Dysons or any other vacuum, so I can't say whether the motors stay clean. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 147 - 156 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42