Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dysons filtration?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dysons filtration?
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm
How sealed are Dysons? And how good is their filtration? I know the uprights - at least the older, older ones like the DC07 and such might have potential problems with sealing, such as show in this video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ However there could simply be something wrong w/ that one, who knows. BUT ANYWAYS, are the NEWER uprights COMPLETELY sealed? What about their canisters, such as the DC22, 23? Like does any air blow out of the cord reel or such, or ONLY out of the exhaust where it's SUPPOSED to come out from?
Replies: 135 - 144 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dysons filtration?
Reply #135   Apr 18, 2010 1:52 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
LOL I can see myself being overcome by incense at this rate, Venson!

vacmanUK, I was being facetious.  Although, in the Jerry Ruben MIELE/dyson demo he does what you suggest.  He places some cotton like substance over the seal/housing of the filter and it flies into space.

WRT incense, good Catholic altar boy training allowed me to develop an immunity to the incense smell/smoke that still is effective today after all these years.  Nothing like first hand real life experience and training to last one's entire lifetime.  Live long live strong.

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #136   Apr 18, 2010 10:43 pm

vacmanuk:

So how rigorous is the testing by the British Allergy Foundation which certifies the filtration of the Dyson vacuums?   Has "Which?"  found any problems with Dyson's filtration?  I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the filtration testing that is done across the pond is a little more rigorous that what is done here.    I was a little surprised to see that almost every vacuum tested by Consumer Reports has an excellent score for filtration. 

I did notice on another vacuum blog a thread entitled:  

Allergy Season-Dyson gets put up-Rainbow gets used

http://www.vacuumland.org/TD/THREADS/MODERN/8615.htm?13

Apparently there are at least some Dyson users (more generally bagless vacuum users), who have problems with emptying a bagless vacuum during allergy seasons.

This message was modified Apr 18, 2010 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
vacmanuk

Reply #137   Apr 19, 2010 7:18 am
At last! It all boils down to testing by organisations and not true findings by the owners of vacuums such as Dyson.

Silly me, here was me thinking I had found a forum by vacuum cleaner owners who could relay their own experiences instead of relying on what larger companies find.
CarmineD

Reply #138   Apr 19, 2010 7:33 am
Hi SEVERUS:

I don't know about the BAF but I find a rating saying "allergy and asthma friendly" slightly disconcerting.  I enjoyed the vacuumland posts/readings.  Always impressed when current users and buyers draw/compare on experiences with vacuums from by-gone eras.  I listen to them because we have a common reference as a perspective.  Plus a few UK buyers and users in there who I suspect are more honest brokers than a few dyson banner wavers here.

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #139   Apr 19, 2010 10:23 am
vacmanuk wrote:
At last! It all boils down to testing by organisations and not true findings by the owners of vacuums such as Dyson.

Silly me, here was me thinking I had found a forum by vacuum cleaner owners who could relay their own experiences instead of relying on what larger companies find.

Certainly both individuals and organizations can provide useful information.   Hopefully we're capable of weighing each one appropriately in making a final decision.   Judging by your comments, am I to assume that you don't place much trust in the results of Which? and the British Allergy Foundation?

In all honesty, it's not always easy to know who to trust for information.   If you placed one cup of dirt in both a Dyson (or any bagless dirt canister) and a cup of identical waste in the bag of a bagged vacuum, turned on each vacuum for 1 minute to rearrange the dirt, and then asked consumers to tell you which picked up more dirt, I suspect that 90% would say that the bagless did - just due to how the dirt is presented.   
This message was modified Apr 19, 2010 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #140   Apr 19, 2010 11:49 am
Everyone's home is diffierent.  The stuff I vacuum up here in New York, by way of lifestyle and nature of place, may not at all be the stuff someone else has to go after in a surban home in Airizona.  I'm pretty sure it can be taken as a given that a large part of what we get during cleaning is human and animal detrius but the type of stuff we track in like sand or powdery dirt can be purely particular to place.  As well what happens when the baby gets hold of the talcum powder?  What does it mean if get the vacuum out only every couple of weeks as opposed to every other day?  I don't think that testing, no matter how comprehensive, can always suit everybody's individual situation.

There are other challenges as well.  During my time at the last place I managed an office, I definitely recall that either the newly installed low pile carpet or the padding that came with it bore some unknown sort of white powdery dust that did not seem to go away even after months of regular and frequent vacuuming.  This dust was always visible on vacuum brushrolls and other ares in the dirt path.  And because it was powdery in type, it always challenged the filtration and performance capability of both the very good bagged and bagless machines I used because powder can quickly choke up the action of either. 

I never did get rid of it and figured the only way to do that was to have a professional service in to thoroughly clean the rug.  I had a good argument in that who knew how much of that strange stuff we were breathing in but my employer would have never gone for paying for cleaning it because the rug was a brand new installation.

The worth of some tests and their results, sames as beauty, rests in the eye of the beholder.  Tell folks that a vacuum releases zero microns of what it takes in and you may leave them behind scratching their heads.  (Ask the next person you pass on the street, "How big is a micron?")  Show them that a machine can lift several bowling $#%* and they start salivating as they go for their wallets.

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #141   Apr 19, 2010 12:00 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
DIB I'm really asking....Is Dyson a Sealed System? A simple Yes or No is fine.

Did I miss the Answering Response anywhere? I'll try again... I'm really asking....Is Dyson a Sealed System? A simple Yes or No is fine.
vacmanuk

Reply #142   Apr 19, 2010 2:46 pm
Severus wrote:
Certainly both individuals and organizations can provide useful information.   Hopefully we're capable of weighing each one appropriately in making a final decision.   Judging by your comments, am I to assume that you don't place much trust in the results of Which? and the British Allergy Foundation?

In all honesty, it's not always easy to know who to trust for information.   If you placed one cup of dirt in both a Dyson (or any bagless dirt canister) and a cup of identical waste in the bag of a bagged vacuum, turned on each vacuum for 1 minute to rearrange the dirt, and then asked consumers to tell you which picked up more dirt, I suspect that 90% would say that the bagless did - just due to how the dirt is presented.   

No I'm not a fan of British Allergy Foundation because many years ago I wrote to them on numerous occassions asking them how they could endorse Dyson vacuums based on the fact that once they get emptied dust flies out. Their reply was that the companies like Dyson pay the BAF for their name. It's a simple as that. I'm dubious when it comes to companies like BAF after replies like that!
Venson

Reply #143   Apr 19, 2010 2:51 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
No I'm not a fan of British Allergy Foundation because many years ago I wrote to them on numerous occassions asking them how they could endorse Dyson vacuums based on the fact that once they get emptied dust flies out. Their reply was that the companies like Dyson pay the BAF for their name. It's a simple as that. I'm dubious when it comes to companies like BAF after replies like that!

Sounds a lot like acquiring Good Housekeeping magazine's seal of approval here.  Don't know if the mag is still in existence but it appeared pretty free with its commendations.

Venson

retardturtle1

Reply #144   Apr 19, 2010 9:28 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Retardturtle,

Between Carmine, Mole, Venson (aka Severus), Procare and Lucky I’d say they have about 150-175 years of vacuum cleaner understanding and history between them.  Over and over they want to tell stories of how the Dyson is leaking dust on the suction side (upstream of the suction motor) and they want others to believe it. - And now you’re doing the same.  I say it’s an old con and boldface lie.  Why not help your cohorts and shoot video demonstrating this anomaly…  dust leaking (dust exhausting/being blown from the suction side) into a home or into someone’s lungs.  And good luck, cause you’ll need it…  it’s akin to pushin rope.

This message was modified Apr 20, 2010 by retardturtle1
Replies: 135 - 144 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42