Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dysons filtration?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dysons filtration?
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm
How sealed are Dysons? And how good is their filtration? I know the uprights - at least the older, older ones like the DC07 and such might have potential problems with sealing, such as show in this video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ However there could simply be something wrong w/ that one, who knows. BUT ANYWAYS, are the NEWER uprights COMPLETELY sealed? What about their canisters, such as the DC22, 23? Like does any air blow out of the cord reel or such, or ONLY out of the exhaust where it's SUPPOSED to come out from?
Replies: 72 - 81 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dysons filtration?
Reply #72   Apr 14, 2010 8:50 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Dib

cant say i can...i was given the dc7 in perfect condition and gave it away  as such.  i had it less than a year...vacuum everyday with it...no pets.

In that time of use  thats all i ever saw...was the tiny bit from time to time... no extended  long term personal use knowledge beyond that.

The dysons i have worked on in the past were way beyond words and a couple belonged to an indoor petting zoo.....and animal shelters. so a

little dust leak was the least of their problems.

turtle

Hello turtle:

I agree.  Bigger problems with DC07 and DC14 are: weak brush bar, gawdawful clutch, convoluted dirt path, difficult hose and attachment use, unreasonable[6-9 months is much too long] filter cleaning schedules.  Plus the claims, subsequently dropped by dyson/revised after legal actions:  Never clogs, never loses suction.  Finally, the high prices which is hurting dyson sales at the big box retail stores.  If not dropped much lower, the competition will run dyson out of dodge.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #73   Apr 14, 2010 12:28 pm
I wouldn't be so sure about that. For a start Dyson may have done little success in the U.S according to you but worldwide the patents and designs will go on for years until of course Dyson may well think about changing strategy and give up making vacuum cleaners altogether. The rivals such as Vax, TTi, Hoover etc - they're all in catch up mode and using current cyclonic systems that still need two filters washed and cleaned for optimum hygiene. Then again the owners for most of the time won't touch the filters until suction starts to weaken or until something goes wrong. That's when people start to question the brand or when something isn't as durable. It is also down to the brand/manufacturer - currently I'm in discussion with Vax who have failed to point out that the filter shroud in their Mach Air can be twisted and unlocked to be cleaned out - yet it mentions nothing of this in the user manual.

This morning for example I spent discussing  a problem of "suction problems," with a woman I don't know on the internet. I came across a review she had written about her Dyson upright. The model concerned isn't unknown to me but I did find it unusual that she moaned about the machine's lack of suction and hunger for drive belts until I asked her what is lying around her carpets for a brush bar to be attracted to it. The answer was clear as day; wool that she knits with, curtains that have tie backs that drag on the floor and bits of carpet her husband can't be arsed to nail to the floor. It's no wonder that her new product has a hunger for drive belts if stuff like that is lying on the floor.

Her next issue was with the filter design as it "keeps clogging," and her biggest mistake (and I dont know why owners do it, but they seem to think vacuums dry out filters) was to wash the filter shroud and then just place it into the machine, thinking that it would work. The clogged dirt that she couldn't be arsed to take out then clung to the wet shroud, the water leaked into the motor and she questions why there is smoke coming out?! No wonder Dyson didn't honour her guarantee!

The fact is that despite the problems Dyson has with "never loses suction," owners aren't as honest as they appear. Sure if it clogs the first time you switch it on or the filter doesn't last as long as the manual suggests it all comes down to simple maintenance and that is something owners won't do despite the user manual suggesting it should be done. The second aspect is that some people just don't realise how dirty their homes are! I've seen it working with a cleaning firm when people are shocked of the amount of rubbish that comes out of their carpets never mind the upholstery they sit on daily. Dysons in general homes aren't emptied until the bins are bursting with dirt and I think personally that's terribly wrong with owners expectations that their vacuums should work all of the time. That's what you get if you advertise machines that "never lose suction," - inherent laziness due to the owner who can't be arsed to empty their vacuum cleaner or check the filters and hose/dust channels.
This message was modified Apr 14, 2010 by vacmanuk
Hertz

Reply #74   Apr 14, 2010 12:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello turtle:

I agree.  Bigger problems with DC07 and DC14 are: weak brush bar, gawdawful clutch, convoluted dirt path, difficult hose and attachment use, unreasonable[6-9 months is much too long] filter cleaning schedules.  Plus the claims, subsequently dropped by dyson/revised after legal actions:  Never clogs, never loses suction.  Finally, the high prices which is hurting dyson sales at the big box retail stores.  If not dropped much lower, the competition will run dyson out of dodge.

Carmine D.

I can agree that the brush bars and clutches were overall simply decent quality - and low quality given the price - but aside from that they are great machines. However, I find your claim that they will be "run out of dodge" highly amusing considering they're still doing GREAT even in this economy; Dyson isn't going anywhere anytime soon buddy.
Hertz

Reply #75   Apr 14, 2010 12:35 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. For a start Dyson may have done little success in the U.S according to you but worldwide the patents and designs will go on for years until of course Dyson may well think about changing strategy and give up making vacuum cleaners altogether. The rivals such as Vax, TTi, Hoover etc - they're all in catch up mode and using current cyclonic systems that still need two filters washed and cleaned for optimum hygiene. Then again the owners for most of the time won't touch the filters until suction starts to weaken or until something goes wrong. That's when people start to question the brand or when something isn't as durable. It is also down to the brand/manufacturer - currently I'm in discussion with Vax who have failed to point out that the filter shroud in their Mach Air can be twisted and unlocked to be cleaned out - yet it mentions nothing of this in the user manual.

This morning for example I spent discussing  a problem of "suction problems," with a woman I don't know on the internet. I came across a review she had written about her Dyson upright. The model concerned isn't unknown to me but I did find it unusual that she moaned about the machine's lack of suction and hunger for drive belts until I asked her what is lying around her carpets for a brush bar to be attracted to it. The answer was clear as day; wool that she knits with, curtains that have tie backs that drag on the floor and bits of carpet her husband can't be arsed to nail to the floor. It's no wonder that her new product has a hunger for drive belts if stuff like that is lying on the floor.

Her next issue was with the filter design as it "keeps clogging," and her biggest mistake (and I dont know why owners do it, but they seem to think vacuums dry out filters) was to wash the filter shroud and then just place it into the machine, thinking that it would work. The clogged dirt that she couldn't be arsed to take out then clung to the wet shroud, the water leaked into the motor and she questions why there is smoke coming out?! No wonder Dyson didn't honour her guarantee!

The fact is that despite the problems Dyson has with "never loses suction," owners aren't as honest as they appear. Sure if it clogs the first time you switch it on or the filter doesn't last as long as the manual suggests it all comes down to simple maintenance and that is something owners won't do despite the user manual suggesting it should be done. The second aspect is that some people just don't realise how dirty their homes are! I've seen it working with a cleaning firm when people are shocked of the amount of rubbish that comes out of their carpets never mind the upholstery they sit on daily. Dysons in general homes aren't emptied until the bins are bursting with dirt and I think personally that's terribly wrong with owners expectations that their vacuums should work all of the time. That's what you get if you advertise machines that "never lose suction," - inherent laziness due to the owner who can't be arsed to empty their vacuum cleaner or check the filters and hose/dust channels.

Excellent points about why Dyson dislodged their claims from their advertising campaigns vacmanuk. Are you reading this CarmineD?! Dysons WILL NOT CLOG under normal use or if properly maintained - which isn't of course to say if you suck up a lego it won't clog - which happened to my neighbors DC17 that I nicely unclogged for them - - but, under normal use a Dyson WILL NOT clog, however given these claims the average consumer wistfully never maintains their arguably high quality appliance and thus - like with *ANYTHING* - it will eventually break down.
Hertz

Reply #76   Apr 14, 2010 12:40 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Retardturtle,

Between Carmine, Mole, Venson (aka Severus), Procare and Lucky I’d say they have about 150-175 years of vacuum cleaner understanding and history between them.  Over and over they want to tell stories of how the Dyson is leaking dust on the suction side (upstream of the suction motor) and they want others to believe it. - And now you’re doing the same.  I say it’s an old con and boldface lie.  Why not help your cohorts and shoot video demonstrating this anomaly…  dust leaking (dust exhausting/being blown from the suction side) into a home or into someone’s lungs.  And good luck, cause you’ll need it…  it’s akin to pushin rope.

DIB, dude, you need to seriously jump off Dysons junk sometimes man. I like you, and your passion for Dysons which I share, but you need to realize retardturtle is just being completely honest. His point WAS IN DEFENSE OF DYSON - if there was even any side he was trying to take - in that ANY machine will leak a little bit of dust, and his Dyson - only leaked a *SMALL* amount, and for the engineering, overall quality, performance, and features of a Dyson, I would say a *SMALL* amount is perfectly acceptable. Besides, I have a feeling newer machines are better sealed. I mean, they DO receive approvals by Asthma and Allergy foundations. I would assume they says something about their filtration. Also, FOR ANY OF YOU DOUBTING DYSONS FILTRATION, EVEN MIELE ACKNOWLEDGES THEIR COMPARATIVELY GREAT FILTRATION! Read: http://www.mieleusa.com/images/mieleusa/miele_filtration/emission-chart.jpg A Dyson DC25 WAS PROVEN BY MIELE to capture more fine particles than a frickin SEBO!!! IF that's the case, I can only applaud Sir James Dyson over and over for his quality workmanship and engineering on his high quality product.
CarmineD

Reply #77   Apr 14, 2010 12:51 pm
As I understand these are the facts and circumstances that brought down dyson's mantra: Never clogs, never loses suction.
  • A 2006/07 ruling by the ASA [Advertising Standards Agency].  
  • About 3 dozen disgruntled dyson buyers/users, maybe more, joined by 2 vacuum companies filed a class action grievance against dyson. 
  • The crux of their grievance was that dyson vacuum filters clogged and the vacuums lost suction, contrary to dyson's printed claims to the contrary. 
  • The ASA, a European adjudication body for consumers and manufacturers/their products, agreed with dyson buyers and users and the vacuum companies. 
  • In its decision to Sir James and dyson, the ASA advised dyson under penalty of legal actions for non-comformance, to cease and desist from using the mantra in written format. 
  • Sir James and dyson complied.  
  • The dyson claims went away. 
  • In addition, dyson reduced the time periods for required filter maintenance from 6-9 months to 2-3 months on future models. 
  • Dyson also made its 5 year limited warranty contingent on users following the new filter service/maintenance instructions.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 14, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #78   Apr 14, 2010 1:18 pm
Hertz wrote:
DIB, dude, you need to seriously jump off Dysons junk sometimes man. I like you, and your passion for Dysons which I share, but you need to realize retardturtle is just being completely honest. His point WAS IN DEFENSE OF DYSON - if there was even any side he was trying to take - in that ANY machine will leak a little bit of dust, and his Dyson - only leaked a *SMALL* amount, and for the engineering, overall quality, performance, and features of a Dyson, I would say a *SMALL* amount is perfectly acceptable. Besides, I have a feeling newer machines are better sealed. I mean, they DO receive approvals by Asthma and Allergy foundations. I would assume they says something about their filtration. Also, FOR ANY OF YOU DOUBTING DYSONS FILTRATION, EVEN MIELE ACKNOWLEDGES THEIR COMPARATIVELY GREAT FILTRATION! Read: http://www.mieleusa.com/images/mieleusa/miele_filtration/emission-chart.jpg A Dyson DC25 WAS PROVEN BY MIELE to capture more fine particles than a frickin SEBO!!! IF that's the case, I can only applaud Sir James Dyson over and over for his quality workmanship and engineering on his high quality product.

You do well to follow your own advice.  I never said dyson's filtration was bad.  I answered your questions.  DC07 and DC14 do not have completely sealed vacuums/systems.  That's a fact.  I recused myself on other/later dyson models.  I said I don't know for sure and don't have enough proof, YET.  I said that I would hope and trust dyson improved with time.  Based on the fact that dyson improved its brush rolls.  That's either a neutral statement or a compliment, surely not biased.  I further said that dyson doesn't claim its vacuums to have completely sealed air intake/exhaust systems.  That's a fact.  A claim which I said dyson would surely make if it were the case.  That's an opinion. 

BTW, just in case you missed an important point in turtle's commentary, I'll reiterate here for you.  Turtle gifted his dyson DC07 away after a year for being duly under impressed by it for the price.  I agree with turtle and others on this point for reasons already provided:  Very weak brush roll and gawdawful clutch.  You agreed with me too: You conceded that DC07 and DC14 have weak brush rolls and the clutches are terrible.  Does this make me biased or honest?

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #79   Apr 14, 2010 2:54 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Lying is an opposing viewpoint?  HALARIOUS!

You guys never quit.   Where’s your outrage at Porcare’s, Carmine’s, and Mole’s lies of the suction side of a Dyson vacuum leaking dust into the environment?  This is an old-school con.  Going after and exposing the lying of Dyson - the competing manufacturers and their representatives (the competing independent vacuum dealer) is long overdue.  Is this a problem?

I have not read anywhere that a Dyson is a SEALED SYSTEM vacuum. Where did you get the information that it is? Try taking a Particle meter to a Dyson and see for yourself that they leak.
vacmanuk

Reply #80   Apr 14, 2010 3:02 pm
How much are particle meters anyway? The thing is despite a particle meter being used, you'd have to do it in controlled areas that aren't polluted and even Miele's fan man on You Tube's particle meter picks up a lot of dust in his shop at times before his meter bit is put at the vent of the active/HEPA filter exhausts on the Miele.
CarmineD

Reply #81   Apr 14, 2010 4:41 pm
I excerpted this from the Allergy Buyers Web Site, not MIELE's site.  It was posted here initially by SEVERUS.  I've highlighted the relevant part/point of discussion.

Miele S7280 Salsa in a hot mango red color will add some fun to your vacuuming experience. The luxury S7280 line of upright vacuums feature a new innovative design with a swivel neck, 360° swivel casters, retracting rear wheels, and ergonomic handle for maximum agility and minimum exertion from the user. Its sealed HEPA filtration system is impeccable and bags and filters are extremely easy to replace. Perfect for all floor types and above floor cleaning featuring automatic carpet height adjustment, variable suction adjustment, fingertip brush roll and power controls, 12 ft extra reach hose, telescopic suction wand and 3 onboard accessory tools! These vacuums are a complete package with all the necessities and more!

Impeccable is defined as faultless [as without any faults], flawless [as without any flaws].  Simple and strong words. 

MIELE product literature claims its vacuum products have A SEALED SYSTEM with the designation [TM].  If I'm not wrong, the TM designation makes the claim legitimate. 

Carmine D. 

Replies: 72 - 81 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42