Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dysons filtration?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dysons filtration?
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm
How sealed are Dysons? And how good is their filtration? I know the uprights - at least the older, older ones like the DC07 and such might have potential problems with sealing, such as show in this video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ However there could simply be something wrong w/ that one, who knows. BUT ANYWAYS, are the NEWER uprights COMPLETELY sealed? What about their canisters, such as the DC22, 23? Like does any air blow out of the cord reel or such, or ONLY out of the exhaust where it's SUPPOSED to come out from?
Replies: 48 - 57 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Hertz

Re: Dysons filtration?
Reply #48   Apr 13, 2010 12:06 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Having worked on many DC07 and DC14s that are still under warranty, I've concluded that the gaskets which seal the air intake/dirt paths are flimsy for the price of the vacuum.  If they have them.  [Some of the paths, like the air way U tube/joint have no gasket/seal.  Just plastic on plastic.]  Soleplate gaskets too, top and bottom?  Flimsy, and the cheapest and worse I've ever seen on soleplates on any vacuums in the industry.  They lose their shape in short order.  All these gasket seals are coated with dust/dirt that leaks out. They are out of shape from their original new condition.  They are chintzy and don't hold their form.  Period. 

Look at the bin holder cavity where the inlet/outlet tubes run up and down a DC07/DC14.  Especially after use.  Or when you remove to dump the bin.  What do you see? Honestly? The whole area is coated with dust and dirt.  The more dirt you pack in the bin, the more you'll find on the vacuum behind the bin.  Now, check the exhaust filters on any DC07 and 14 dyson vacuums that are used in homes with a pet[s].  What do you find?  Honestly?  You'll find pet hair.  Pet hair passes through the shroud and cyclones all the time on these models.  Hopefully the gasket and seal on the exhaust filter housing is tightly fitted.  Not loosened from use and movement [common problem], else it won't prevent the hair from leaking out into the room air before getting filtered. 

There are design/function shortcomings for these models to have been discontinued.  There are valid reasons that all the dyson models that came after these have filter cleaning and maintenance schedules that are halved in time from these.  Finally, there are legal reasons that these and other dyson vacuums no longer claim the mantra: Never clogs and never loses suction.  They never will again.

Pick your battles to fight and win.  DC07 and DC14 are over and done with.  They were taken off the market by Sir James and dyson.  White flagged.  Threw in the towel.  Scrubbed completely.  They're history now except for the poor buyers and users who got taken in by them. 

WRT later dyson models, both canns and uprights after DC07 and DC14, I can't offer any personal and professional experience, YET.  Except this observation which I'll share since you asked: While dyson currently offers free asthma and allergy kits on purchases of all new dyson vacuums, it is conspicuously silent and nebulous on the HEPA filtration specs and sealed clean air systems of its line up.  This begs the question: Why?  Dyson merely says the vacuums are rated asthma and allergy friendly by the BAF.  Whatever that means.

Carmine D.

I can tell you from first hand observations that the seals are VERY high quality on Dyson machines. I haven't extensively examined the DC07 or 14, but on the 17 the seals are excellent. Yes, there is a small layer of dust on the seal, but nothing OUTSIDE of the seal; no dust re-enters the room, if so, then very little. They're high quality seals that are built to last. Again, I'm not too knowledgeable on the quality of the 07 and 14, but the 17 is a high quality machine that I've used in my own home and it has performed miraculously. One time it even filled the bin damn near to the brim even after vacuuming with my Kirby G4. Yes, you read it correctly. Amazing technology in these machines. Did you know that Dyson spends an average of $300,000 to design the mere BRUSHROLL in their machines? What other company does that? I'm sure there are some, but relatively few I bet. Also, check this link out: http://www.dustfluffgrit.blogspot.com/ Shows about Dysons engineering and research. Again, given that the DC07's and 14's are still available elsewhere in the world, I doubt they're really as flawed as you say. To me it seems as though you're biased, CarmineD.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #49   Apr 13, 2010 12:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Having worked on many DC07 and DC14s that are still under warranty, I've concluded that the gaskets which seal the air intake/dirt paths are flimsy for the price of the vacuum.  If they have them.  [Some of the paths, like the air way U tube/joint have no gasket/seal.  Just plastic on plastic.]  Soleplate gaskets too, top and bottom?  Flimsy, and the cheapest and worse I've ever seen on soleplates on any vacuums in the industry.  They lose their shape in short order.  All these gasket seals are coated with dust/dirt that leaks out. They are out of shape from their original new condition.  They are chintzy and don't hold their form.  Period. 

Look at the bin holder cavity where the inlet/outlet tubes run up and down a DC07/DC14.  Especially after use.  Or when you remove to dump the bin.  What do you see? Honestly? The whole area is coated with dust and dirt.  The more dirt you pack in the bin, the more you'll find on the vacuum behind the bin.  Now, check the exhaust filters on any DC07 and 14 dyson vacuums that are used in homes with a pet[s].  What do you find?  Honestly?  You'll find pet hair.  Pet hair passes through the shroud and cyclones all the time on these models.  Hopefully the gasket and seal on the exhaust filter housing is tightly fitted.  Not loosened from use and movement [common problem], else it won't prevent the hair from leaking out into the room air before getting filtered. 

There are design/function shortcomings for these models to have been discontinued.  There are valid reasons that all the dyson models that came after these have filter cleaning and maintenance schedules that are halved in time from these.  Finally, there are legal reasons that these and other dyson vacuums no longer claim the mantra: Never clogs and never loses suction.  They never will again.

Pick your battles to fight and win.  DC07 and DC14 are over and done with.  They were taken off the market by Sir James and dyson.  White flagged.  Threw in the towel.  Scrubbed completely.  They're history now except for the poor buyers and users who got taken in by them. 

WRT later dyson models, both canns and uprights after DC07 and DC14, I can't offer any personal and professional experience, YET.  Except this observation which I'll share since you asked: While dyson currently offers free asthma and allergy kits on purchases of all new dyson vacuums, it is conspicuously silent and nebulous on the HEPA filtration specs and sealed clean air systems of its line up.  This begs the question: Why?  Dyson merely says the vacuums are rated asthma and allergy friendly by the BAF.  Whatever that means.

Carmine D.

Carmine, stop!  You’re embarrassing yourself!

Lets see…  you exhibit much Dyson-envy, narcissism and now the traits of a fool.  I just decimated and exposed the old-con…  Dyson’s leak (spew) dust on the suction side and here you are, 12 hrs later saying Dyson’s spew on the suction side too.  It’s over!  Your day in the sun (lying to make a buck - lying to a trusting consumer like you did as an independent dealer) is over.  Retire already!

CarmineD

Reply #50   Apr 13, 2010 12:56 pm
Hertz wrote:
I can tell you from first hand observations that the seals are VERY high quality on Dyson machines. I haven't extensively examined the DC07 or 14, but on the 17 the seals are excellent. Yes, there is a small layer of dust on the seal, but nothing OUTSIDE of the seal; no dust re-enters the room, if so, then very little. They're high quality seals that are built to last. Again, I'm not too knowledgeable on the quality of the 07 and 14, but the 17 is a high quality machine that I've used in my own home and it has performed miraculously. One time it even filled the bin damn near to the brim even after vacuuming with my Kirby G4. Yes, you read it correctly. Amazing technology in these machines. Did you know that Dyson spends an average of $300,000 to design the mere BRUSHROLL in their machines? What other company does that? I'm sure there are some, but relatively few I bet. Also, check this link out: http://www.dustfluffgrit.blogspot.com/ Shows about Dysons engineering and research. Again, given that the DC07's and 14's are still available elsewhere in the world, I doubt they're really as flawed as you say. To me it seems as though you're biased, CarmineD.

You asked the question here specifically about the DC07.  I answered you with personal and professional proof.  As have several others who are still active professionals in the industry.  If I [we] don't give you the answer you like and want, and that makes me [us] biased, then so be it.  I'm biased toward the truth.  As the saying goes, the truth hurts.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #51   Apr 13, 2010 12:59 pm
Dib-stir, I retired with 55 years in the business to a comfortable life in the Las Vegas blue skies and abundant sunshine.  What is your claim to business fame here and anywhere beside spewing the same old dyson how great thou art lines?  As I recall you bought your dyson DC15, no longer made and marketed, for $300 on clearance sale years ago. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 13, 2010 by CarmineD
Hertz

Reply #52   Apr 13, 2010 1:07 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You asked the question here specifically about the DC07.  I answered you with personal and professional proof.  As have several others who are still active professionals in the industry.  If I [we] don't give you the answer you like and want, and that makes me [us] biased, then so be it.  I'm biased toward the truth.  As the saying goes, the truth hurts.

Carmine D.

No, you merely answered with text. That's not proof in the least. I'm telling you from MY experience that the Dyson seals are of GREAT quality and also letting you know how ridiculous it sounds for someone to mention that they will "dry rot." Foam dry rots, not rubber - at least not the kind Dyson seemingly uses. I'm telling YOU the truth that after multiple years of ownership of a DC17 by a family who uses it frequently (not mine, but a neighbors), and whom haven't even cleaned out the filter after a year or so until I told them about it - not ONE thing has gone wrong with it, it has seen abuse time and again - I even tried somewhat standing on it and it held up FINE, yes I knew that was kind of stupid considering it wasn't even mine, but I did it cautiously :P - and the seals and sole plate are still COMPLETELY intact. Again, I would just say you're biased, unless there's pictorial evidence of your claim.
CarmineD

Reply #53   Apr 13, 2010 1:14 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Not so in the UK; the DC14 Origin and DC14 Overdrive are two of the best selling models. They are even on the UK website which shows only current Dyson models that are being sold nationwide.

Dyson USA has the DC14 All Floors for $399.  The real question is how many at that price does it sell.  Most retailers who still have these oldies in stock sell them at discounts below the dyson MAP.  An good indication that they are going the obsolete route to oblivion for all the reasons already provided. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #54   Apr 13, 2010 1:20 pm
Hertz wrote:
No, you merely answered with text. That's not proof in the least. I'm telling you from MY experience that the Dyson seals are of GREAT quality and also letting you know how ridiculous it sounds for someone to mention that they will "dry rot." Foam dry rots, not rubber - at least not the kind Dyson seemingly uses. I'm telling YOU the truth that after multiple years of ownership of a DC17 by a family who uses it frequently (not mine, but a neighbors), and whom haven't even cleaned out the filter after a year or so until I told them about it - not ONE thing has gone wrong with it, it has seen abuse time and again - I even tried somewhat standing on it and it held up FINE, yes I knew that was kind of stupid considering it wasn't even mine, but I did it cautiously :P - and the seals and sole plate are still COMPLETELY intact. Again, I would just say you're biased, unless there's pictorial evidence of your claim.

I answered you about the seals and gaskets on the DC07 and DC14.  Once I have proof on the DC17, I'll draw conclusions on it and, if asked, report on them just as I did for you.  I would hope and trust after the shortfalls with DC07 and DC14, dyson got better. I have no proof yet that is the case for the gaskets and seals on the DC17.  I know from personal and professional readings that the brush roll on DC17's are superior to DC07 and DC14.  Consumer Reports confirms this too for DC17 with its test ratings.  Dyson does not call its system sealed.  A claim I'm sure it would make if it could just as others in the industry who can and do.

I don't have pictorial proof.  So sorry.  But, if I did, I suspect you would be doubtful of its authenticity.  Just as you and Dib-stir are not taking seriously Jerry Ruben's Youtube video for dyson.  Which can easily be reproduced and not a hoax.  I recall years ago our Forum Moderator here saying that he sees dirt on the DC07's air in/outlet tubes [behind the dirt bin] based on viewings of various display models in big box stores.  How does it get there? Leakage?  If I'm wrong maybe Mike W. will correct me.  Please do.  

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #55   Apr 13, 2010 1:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dib-stir, I retired with 55 years in the business to a comfortable life in the Las Vegas blue skies and abundant sunshine.  What is your claim to business fame here and anywhere beside spewing the same old dyson how great thou art lines?  As I recall you bought your dyson DC15, no longer made and marketed, for $300 on clearance sale years ago. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

It's over!  You've given away many con’s ways and their trickery’s and thrown many of your cohort independent vacuum cleaner dealer con-buddies under the bus and you've outlived your usefulness.  Look around; no consumer wants to talk with you!  Where are they?  By comparison, go to the site Gasko use to participate in and the dude is an icon amongst the consumer.  The consumer is a lot wiser (self-educated) than your old-school days.  No-doubt you turned off many consumers to the site.  How do I know?  Gasko's numbers are probably 200 to 1 (for ever 1 consumer who comes here seeking you out, he had 200 that sought him out).  You've outlived your usefulness...  you’re livin in the past, retire already - it's over!

Dyson Invents Big

CarmineD

Reply #56   Apr 13, 2010 1:44 pm
Dib-stir, you keep telling me to retire.  I am retired.  Have been for over 3 years.  And loving it.  You keep making the threads here personal and attacking me rather than the facts.  You are living in the past.  Tom Gasko works for RICCAR/SIMPLICITY and has for a year or more.  Not dyson.  How about you? 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #57   Apr 13, 2010 1:55 pm
Then if think so highly  of Tom ,why dont you go to work with him at TACONY.

Then you both can do oohs and ahhs and gaga over the vacuum collection that no one cares about.

BTW all this techno babble you and i spew about  cleaners means nothing to the avarage consumer,

What benefit does the product provide for the user that should be the foremost question.As long as the customer likes the machine thats all that matters.They dont care what we think about them.

I can hear aunt Tilly  rushing to the living room closet now because she just can't wait to clean her floors and scatter rugs.

Boy are you excited right about now Bonehead,

THE BEST CLEANER THAT A PERSON CAN USE IS THE ONE THEY CAN USE[GOT IT]'' GOOD.'''''

mole

Replies: 48 - 57 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42