Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

VDTA 2010
Original Message   Jan 8, 2010 8:43 am
Tho a couple of months away, the VDTA is slotted for Vegas this year AND central vacuum systems, tho relatively new venue to the vacuum trade organization, are getting increased emphasis.

Carmine D.

Replies: 35 - 44 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mole

Re: VDTA 2010
Reply #35   Apr 11, 2010 2:29 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well, the U.S have Bosch's uprights in the form of Vax USA. As for their cylinders, they make different ones per country as do most of the brands. Here in the UK although Bosch is seen as a cheaper compact to Miele or Sebo, their biggest downside is that the bags are hard to find and of a practical nature, the tubes and hoses never stick together despite their friction fit design. Bosch are a smaller company when it comes to floorcare. They had a few problems in the 1990s with their upright vacs and them took them off the market. Vax on the other hand kept the design and has continued to sell those heavy uprights known initially as the AVC series and now VX: (X3 in the U.S)

This was the upright sold as the bagless jet,they also sold a bagged version also,some even sold under the siemens label,powerfull suction but  proved to be problematic and were  quickly shunned by the dealers,I know that there are a few around and are being blown out at $99.00
vacmanuk

Reply #36   Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm
Siemens and Bosch are the same company; in the UK for example Bosch make brilliant household appliances; we had a Bosch dishwasher for 15 years, our oven is 20 years old and will need replacing soon. The Siemens brand dress everything up in stainless steel finishes compared to the literal white and black limited colours offered on Bosch and as a result hike the prices up accordingly. I only know of a few people who buy Siemens over Bosch because of the elevated prices. Electrolux also have that problem in the UK with John Lewis products since their laundry machines are rebadged Zanussi models and then the price hike and promise of "German engineering," with their AEG brand, when in actual fact all of their machines are made in China!
Venson

Reply #37   Apr 11, 2010 4:26 pm
Both Bosch and Sebo are heavy hitters when it comes to price.  You should have seen the prices on Bosch dishwashers untli as of late.  Miele has an advantage due to being established on the market in many areas -- not just vacuums.

Bosch, even when it was picked up by a relatively well-known vendor like Sears as an add-on to its vacuum roster, it wasn't getting what it wanted saleswise and stopped the line intended for America.  Even at $750 for its high-end model, far less than Miele's top of the line vac but probably about as good, it didn't seem to get off the ground except for some of its less expensive models.  Maybe more advertising with that slight bit of snob appeal that Miele always goes for would have helped. 

The same applies for Sebo since it is basically an indie vendor offering here .  However, I don't see it in as many shops carrying it as I do offering Miele and don't know if it would be counter productive to carry both brands.  A product's lack of visibilty is the one reservation that will me to second thoughts when it comes to buying.  No matter how great I may think a vac is, I want to be sure that I can find consumables and maintenance without problem.  Thus, if I didn't see something show up frequently, at least in indie shops in my local vicinity I'd automatically start to wonder how easy it would be to get fresh bags, filters, etc., when I need them.

Venson

Venson

Reply #38   Apr 11, 2010 5:46 pm
Hey vacmanuk,

I downloaded teh Sebo D4 manual and am saved because it's both in German and English.

Vielen Dank,

Venson

vacmanuk

Reply #39   Apr 11, 2010 6:12 pm
I saw that myself - normally the German manuals are both in English and German.

Granted the new D series looks a little like Vorwerk's Tiger but only a little...

http://www.staubsaugerservice-albay.de/data/gallery/tiger%20251eb%20350%20t%C3%BCten%20zubeh%C3%B6r200808081644217.jpg

Or the Panasonic MCE 800 series:

This message was modified Apr 11, 2010 by vacmanuk
Venson

Reply #40   Apr 11, 2010 11:37 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I saw that myself - normally the German manuals are both in English and German.

Granted the new D series looks a little like Vorwerk's Tiger but only a little...

Hey vacmanuk,

You go! So glad you checked that out.  Though there's little similarity to the Vorwerk Tiger, the design makes me think of the Nilfisk 930 in a roundabout way.  My reason is for this is due to the airflow draw being channeled to originate above the bag.  I don't know if the involvement of gravity was meant to be a key part in dust handling but the set up does to some degree allow dust to fall and collect at the bottom of the bag and leave the top portion of the bag more freed up for allowing optimal airflow.  The Nilfisk 930's filtration medium are housed in the cleaner's lid

http://webparts.nilfisk-advance.com/pdf/Instruction%20for%20use%20GD%20930%20EU.pdf

In response to the poster making mention of the conically shaped hose this was traditionally a trait of American made Electroluxes and also Nilfisk for many years.  Smaller point of entry with larger point of exit was to lessen possibility of clogging.

That said, the rest of this rather inttricately designed Sebo is quite interesting.  The manual shows how the airbelt is set up and how it muffles sound and subdues the motor exhaust.  I also think the "hospital" filter in teh bottom of the machine posibbly doubles its filtering ability by the way it has to be folded over on itself for installation.

For those not familiar with Verwerk vacuums, this is what Vorwerk Tiger canister I made mention of  looks like now.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Apr 11, 2010 by Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #41   Apr 12, 2010 8:56 pm
There are a few people I know who own Vorwerk vacs in the UK but they are very rare and the stick / upright version is more popular here. Of those nearest to me who have sampled my Sebo uprights, they usually buy Sebo in the end because bags are cheaper and the machines are better thought out. Mind you I do like some of the looks of current Vorwerk models.
vacomatic

Reply #42   May 1, 2010 12:50 am
A large local vac chain here in Oregon that carries Sebo told me they may not carry the D series because "today there are too many high end canisters in the marketplace". 
However, the C series was/is looking dated compared to the current and upgraded Mieles.  Also glad to hear Sebo's finally offering a filtrette style bag in a canister.

At least Sebo did not make the mistake Miele did with the S5 series and put a filtrette bag in an undersized dust chamber, resulting in dust leakage and clogging of the HEPA filter.
That's never been a problem with the older Blue Moon I use.
CarmineD

Reply #43   May 1, 2010 8:58 am
vacomatic wrote:
A large local vac chain here in Oregon that carries Sebo told me they may not carry the D series because "today there are too many high end canisters in the marketplace". 
However, the C series was/is looking dated compared to the current and upgraded Mieles.  Also glad to hear Sebo's finally offering a filtrette style bag in a canister.

At least Sebo did not make the mistake Miele did with the S5 series and put a filtrette bag in an undersized dust chamber, resulting in dust leakage and clogging of the HEPA filter.

Vacomatic:

You posted under the VDTA thread.  Did you attend?

Are you saying any oversized filtrette [paper byt cloth like] not just MIELE, causes dust to leak out into the bag compartment and pre-post motor filters?  Or something else?

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #44   May 1, 2010 9:17 am
vacomatic wrote:

The S5s?  I don't whom it was that told you that but the high filtration bags I've been using in my S5980 Capricorn have not ever leaked. My cleaner is moving on toward two years of age and the biggest part of my worries about bags is paying for them.

In any event, the bag chamber is clean as a whistle.  That's the first thing I look for with any vacuum I use because a clean bag chamber is a sure indicator that a very  good part of what you pick up is and will be captured. Thus, I don't havew to give a thought to whether significant quantities of dust or dirt are gathering on motor componsnts.  The pre-filter and HEPA are clean too.  My S5 series machine is probably the only bagged cannister that I've owned that compares to Filter Queen -- my personal benchmark -- for best in show dust retention.

Miele had the foresight to place a fill-tube that fits into the bag collar and eliminates the blowback issue found in the less expensive but good Kenmore I might well have bought..  Kenmore yet insists on depending on the pressure seal between the lid and the bag holder to defeat leakage at the bag collar and it doesn't work well as it could.   Though not a major issue, one would think that someone would have started thinking about the matter as soon as they'd thought about upping their prices.

The Kenmore problem is best dealt with by not letting disposable bags get beyond the three-fourths full point.  On the other hand the generously sized bag in my Capricorn keeps me going.  Its inner layers contain dirt well but still allow good airflow until the bag is full.

Venson

Replies: 35 - 44 of 63Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42