Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sir James Dyson plan to fill UK's engineering vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Sir James Dyson plan to fill UK's engineering vacuum
Original Message   Mar 10, 2010 11:04 am
James Dyson has voiced his feelings in regard to what it will take to save Britain's manufacturing industry in a report commissioned by the country's Conservative Party.  An interesting read and plenty of UK reader comments follow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/7400742/Sir-James-Dyson-plan-to-fill-UKs-engineering-vacuum.html

M00seUK and vacmanuk, I'll be glad to learn what you think.

Venson

Replies: 27 - 36 of 78Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Sir James Dyson plan to fill UK's engineering vacuum
Reply #27   Mar 17, 2010 1:20 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Hi Carmine, can you explain to me why I should pay any real attention to the 'reported' values placed on people who compile for Forbes and the various 'Rich lists'?

Yes I can.  If you are in business these persons on the Forbes list are excellent source of business.  If you are an investor [read gambler], the businesses run by these individuals are excellent places to put your money. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #28   Mar 17, 2010 2:41 pm
i think we're going off topic here though. It's one thing being in a business, owning a business and building investments. A lot of it has to do with Economy.
CarmineD

Reply #29   Mar 17, 2010 6:19 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
i think we're going off topic here though. It's one thing being in a business, owning a business and building investments. A lot of it has to do with Economy.

As I recall the evolution of Forbes wealthiest and Sir James Dyson, it originated in March 2008 when Sir James was featured by and in gthe Forbes World's Richest for his $1.6 B dyson enterprise with Forbes commentary and numbers on his latest business invention the dyson Air Blade.  At that point in time, Dib-ster a fellow country man of yours, posted the Forbes link and summary here and ir received alot of follow up posts.  I don't recall any objections then that such posts/discussions are off-topic: i.e economic related versus vacuums related. 

Recent and past discussions about irobot for the most part have been off topic but related to vacuums on the fringes.  The fact that in the first 6 months of their launch in the Fall of 2002 in the US, over a half million irobots were sold.  Since then, the sales estimates in the US are tens of millions.  In the spring of 2006 when the company went public, irobot's stock price was $12 plus per share.  Recently, SEVERUS posted a link here which reported irobot's international sales increased in the last quarter by over 30 percent.  To which I posted that the stock price, despite the worse recession since the Great Depression of the 1930's was holding steady at $17 plus.  Are these discussions off topic?  In the strictest sense, perhaps.  But with a more broad view they probably explain why other vacuum makers, who were talked about as developing robotics for years and years here, have not entered the market. 

As a courtesy to those who ask here, if questions are directed to me whether directly on topic or on the fringes, or economic in nature, I will answer here if I know the answer.  Posters frequently PM me too with questions and I will answer in that venue when they do.  As you have in the past.  I much prefer that the questions posed directly to me be edited out before I post the answers, if they are deemed off topic.  Rather than have my posts with the answers edited off and be told that the answers are off topic. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #30   Mar 19, 2010 3:37 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Dibster:

I was a successful independent vacuum business owner/operator for over 40 years.  I didn't slave to any boss except me.  I didn't make my fortune by suing others and/or bashing my competition.  I had no business complaints filed against me by any customers in all that time.  I sold the business to another independent who still has the store and business in the same location.  Then, I spent 1the next 15 years as a self-employed industry consultant before retiring in August 2006.  I have degrees in accounting, economics and business from what many would consider an Ivy League University.  I think that I know and speak authoritatively on all matters of vacuum related business.  I also know good business leaders and wise business decisions.  Just as I know and recognize the bad ones.  Big and/or small men and/or women with and without rock throwing abilitie have no bearing on the successful outcomes of businesses.  Both sized men/women are equally capable and/or incapable of being good and/or bad business managers. 

After more than 3 years into retirement, I'm pleased to say I still receive offers of employment and contractual bid requests.  All of which I have so far graciously turned down.  

Carmine D.

Carmen,

Let's hope people avoid putting their hard-earned money and their kids into so-called Ivy League universities you attended. These educations seem to a tanked for you... or certainly in terms of dollar value they been a loser. Again, you're in no position to criticize men like James Dyson outside of your scope... that is, swapping parts, stocking your store and maybe just maybe evaluating apples to apples.

You need to haul-a$$ to a shrink and have that jealously and lying beyond belief checked out.   But of course, many in your trade suffer with this too.

Dyson Invents Big
This message was modified Mar 19, 2010 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #31   Mar 19, 2010 4:37 pm
Dibster:

I attended and graduated with these degrees on a full ride scholarship making the dean's list every semester and graduating in just 3 years working full-time all the while.

I know you are jealous of me/my success.  But isn't this thread about Sir James Dyson?  Not me.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig wrote:

Carmen,

Let's hope people avoid putting their hard-earned money and their kids into so-called Ivy League universities you attended. These educations seem to a tanked for you... or certainly in terms of dollar value they been a loser. Again, you're in no position to criticize men like James Dyson outside of your scope... that is, swapping parts, stocking your store and maybe just maybe evaluating apples to apples.

You need to haul-a$$ to a shrink and have that jealously and lying beyond belief checked out.   But of course, many in your trade suffer with this too.

Dyson Invents Big
This message was modified Mar 19, 2010 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #32   Apr 26, 2010 7:33 am
Dyson is in the news today with ambitious plans scale up new product development, by employing 350 more people in R&D - doubling the number of existing staff:-

Dyson goes on recruitment drive to develop its brave new world

"The British company whose futuristic designs led to the reinvention of the vacuum cleaner is planning to push the boundaries still further by hiring 350 engineers and scientists to work on new products."

James Dyson: “We are doing very well despite the recession and we have made the decision to increase our spend on R&D. It may be difficult to find 350 suitably qualified people, [but] despite the country’s failing in investment in education in the engineering sector I am sure we will find the right people. It is vital that Dyson continues to invest to stay at the forefront of industry.”

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/industrials/article7107878.ece

If they indeed follow this though, it's certainly a bold move for the company. Coming out of a recession and adding, say, 50 skilled positions would be encouraging - 350 positions is something else. For a private company, they must have a fair amount of board-level optimism and funding in place.

CarmineD

Reply #33   Apr 26, 2010 8:01 am
Thanks M00seUK for the dyson update.  As usual sounds great.  Makes for great press.  Especially in the politically charged air of UK these days.  If Tony Blair or the Liberal democrats defeat David Cameron, Sir James bold strategy may wane.

Of note in the article, dyson financial results for 2009 have not been issued yet.  Sir James is still despondent over Tony Blair's snub/thumbs downon dyson's engineering HS.  Seems dyson is turning away from vacuums for more pie in the sky inventions.  Nice to dream big. 

Not noted ion the article, Euro is taking a beating with the financial crisis in Greece.  At $1.38 now I believe if not lower.  Expected to go lower.  Other countries in Europe can follow Greece too, downward.  Housing market is suffering in the UK as badly as the USA.  Maybe worse.  All doesn't bode well for the new bold dyson strategy.  Is it more politics and personal?  Time will tell. 

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #34   Apr 26, 2010 9:40 am
Hello Carmine,
Always glad to have your unique take on positive news for Dyson, lest this place ever become a fawning Dyson worship forum.

I'd hope that whatever government is formed in the upcoming elections, that they realise the long-term gains of encouraging high-tech innovation, alongside the returns in the short-term (when times are good) from the financial services.

I'm still not personally 100% sure if the fortunes of the Euro directly affect Dyson? It's reported that Dyson products are imported in to the UK, then exported to the various markets, presumably with value-added, which classes them partially as a net export, by value. While the exchange rate of Euro would influence the value of exports to Europe, I don't think it would effect, for example, the value of exports to North America, which would be covered by the USD / GBP exchange rate. At least, that's the argument we often hear in the UK, against adapting the Euro, is that it would restrict businesses here to a common rate.

What I observe from this announcement is that Dyson is more than a little PR savvy. In one swoop, they project a message that:- 1) Their products are reportedly very popular 2) They have a pledge towards dramatically increasing their UK-based skilled workforce 3) They're getting the word out there that they're hiring (who needs to rely on expensive recruitment agencies, if you're high profile enough?).

There also give themselves some 'wiggle room'. They could announce in 6 months time that they could only fill 50 of the positions locally and the other 300 R&D jobs will be filled internationally. Now, there's nothing uncommon with that - plenty of businesses fill their research positions across the world, wherever they can find the right talent. However, Dyson is frequently put under the great scrutiny from a cynical British public, aided with the help of the cynical British press.

Going by a flurry of recent patent filings, with high quality drawings, it looks highly likely that later in the year Dyson will announce a range of kitchen appliances, which will feature in most cases, their digital motor technology. If the trials of these products have been positive, then they'll be looking to prepare and capitalise with some spotless PR and the added optimism that an increase in revenue can support all these new job positions.
Venson

Reply #35   Apr 26, 2010 1:17 pm
Hiya MOOseUK,

Hope all is well for you on your side of the sea.  We'll have to see how this announcement proves out.  It sounds no more than a non-commital chat with the press.  People do it all the time for the sake of business.  You do have to entertain them now and then so they'll keep your name out in front of the public for reasons other than scandal.

At the tail-end of the article: The company’s recruitment drive comes after new figures revealed that there has been no relief from the downsizing of British industry. Statistics from the CBI last week showed that while the manufacturing industry is beginning to recover, deep job cuts of last year are not being reversed. Long-term statistics revealed that the British manufacturing sector has failed to raise employment levels since 2004. The company’s recruitment drive comes after new figures revealed that there has been no relief from the downsizing of British industry. Statistics from the CBI last week showed that while the manufacturing industry is beginning to recover, deep job cuts of last year are not being reversed. Long-term statistics revealed that the British manufacturing sector has failed to raise employment levels since 2004. The company’s recruitment drive comes after new figures revealed that there has been no relief from the downsizing of British industry. Statistics from the CBI last week showed that while the manufacturing industry is beginning to recover, deep job cuts of last year are not being reversed. Long-term statistics revealed that the British manufacturing sector has failed to raise employment levels since 2004. The company’s recruitment drive comes after new figures revealed that there has been no relief from the downsizing of British industry. Statistics from the CBI last week showed that while the manufacturing industry is beginning to recover, deep job cuts of last year are not being reversed. Long-term statistics revealed that the British manufacturing sector has failed to raise employment levels since 2004.

At the beginning of the article 560 jobs were regarded as lost due to the company's moving work elsewhere.  350 jobs lost doest quite match the amount lost.  As well, there comes another statement by Dyson himself as to the big IF of finding enough qualified persons for the proposed research and development positons -- It may be difficult to find 350 suitably qualified people, [but] despite the country’s failing in investment in education in the engineering sector I am sure we will find the right people.

Sounds to me like a deliberate opening and excuse for backing off on this whole deal later on.  In any event, we're not talking either skilled or unskilled labor here -- we're talking about the acqusition of real talent -- especially in light of the work called for and the salary proposed.  People just don't give away 45,000 pound yearly salaries and  I doubt if those of a mind to do business are prepared to wait for UK education standards to rise to their level of requirement if they are as low as Dyson's iindictment\ infers.  That kind of thing does not happen over night.

Last of all, worldwide economic improvement should be his barometer since he sells worldwide.  Thus far even myself -- just another dumb shopper -- does not see the advantage in his claimed intentions in that, bottom line, you have to have someone to sell the stuff you develop to.  Research and develop all you want but if there's no one to buy the final product, what's the good?

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #36   Apr 26, 2010 1:31 pm
Hello Venson, M00seUK:

Seems my unique view is shared.  I have from the start cast a very weary eye on all things dyson, as Sir James is not a business man let alone a vacuum man.  He got lucky thanks to the persuasion of BEST BUY management to launch in the USA and 2 successful lawsuits with windfall profits.  3 cheers for all the dyson patents and political manuevering in the UK.  Maybe dyson can finally get a dishwasher to market after 3 years plus of patent filing.  Sadly patent laws accomplish just the opposite of their intent.  Especially when you have filers sitting on patents for years without ever bringing a product to market with the patent.   

Carmine D.

Replies: 27 - 36 of 78Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42