Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dysons filtration?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dysons filtration?
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 12:46 pm
How sealed are Dysons? And how good is their filtration? I know the uprights - at least the older, older ones like the DC07 and such might have potential problems with sealing, such as show in this video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXA0N0V2uOQ However there could simply be something wrong w/ that one, who knows. BUT ANYWAYS, are the NEWER uprights COMPLETELY sealed? What about their canisters, such as the DC22, 23? Like does any air blow out of the cord reel or such, or ONLY out of the exhaust where it's SUPPOSED to come out from?
Replies: 15 - 24 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Dysons filtration?
Reply #15   Feb 11, 2010 2:27 pm
Severus wrote:
Dustmite,

Don't get your panties in a wad.  Dysons aren't meant for the tiny percentage of people who have really serious allergies.  Miele does make 0 emissions vacuum - confirmed by independent lab tests.  It's expensive, and the bags and filters are expensive.  If you have a medical condition, you likely need to spend the money on such things.  

Have you repeated the man's tests with your own particle counter?  Or does Dyson even claim to have 0 emissions?  If not, then let it go.  It's really not a big deal.  Given that Hertz has no problem emptying a bagless vacuum, it isn't even important whether Dyson is completely sealed.  Completely sealed is for people who live in bubbles or have serious medical conditions.  The wind blowing will expose you to more allergens than you'll be exposed to with most modern vacuum cleaners. 

Look Goof,

Straight men do not wear panties...get it straight!

This guy has been established as a con by many vac guys.  I can care less if you get-it.

Hertz

Reply #16   Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm
DIB, QUIT INSULTING PEOPLE! It makes you look like a child! I really appreciate you're passion for Dysons, but please, for your own sake, stop insulting people who don't agree with you - argue sure, but "goof"? No need dude, unless you were simply kidding around :P I do however agree that this guy is simply a Miele suck up as he even sates that "Sebo's are not sealed vacuums" - BAHAHAHAHA! What a chump. Anyways, I'm really curious if Dysons are completely sealed from a Design standpoint - like how much effort did they put in to make sure the system is air tight. This matters because A.) Dust will fly into the other housings of the unit and gunk it up and B.) Air born allergens from outside aren't as harmful as those being sucked out of the rug. Either way, I'm sure it's not a big deal in terms of vacuuming cleanliness, as they're obviously sealed ENOUGH, but I'm just wondering if they're COMPLETELY sealed? Can someone at least answer if there's any air coming out of the cord rewind on the canister models?
vacmanuk

Reply #17   Feb 11, 2010 6:00 pm
Yet again Dib your argument about choking bags is flawed - if they contain dust in the first place then they aren't harming the lungs as much as Dyson or any other bin that requires secondary cleaning on the filters. And that's before you even touch the pre and after motor filters that are caked in dust on many bagless vacs. Just because you can't see the dust doesnt mean it's not airborne the moment a bagless cyclonic dust bin has been opened.
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #18   Feb 11, 2010 6:00 pm
Hertz wrote:
DIB, QUIT INSULTING PEOPLE! It makes you look like a child! I really appreciate you're passion for Dysons, but please, for your own sake, stop insulting people who don't agree with you - argue sure, but "goof"? No need dude, unless you were simply kidding around :P I do however agree that this guy is simply a Miele suck up as he even sates that "Sebo's are not sealed vacuums" - BAHAHAHAHA! What a chump. Anyways, I'm really curious if Dysons are completely sealed from a Design standpoint - like how much effort did they put in to make sure the system is air tight. This matters because A.) Dust will fly into the other housings of the unit and gunk it up and B.) Air born allergens from outside aren't as harmful as those being sucked out of the rug. Either way, I'm sure it's not a big deal in terms of vacuuming cleanliness, as they're obviously sealed ENOUGH, but I'm just wondering if they're COMPLETELY sealed? Can someone at least answer if there's any air coming out of the cord rewind on the canister models?

According to this web site:  http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.com/dyson-stowaway-dc23-motorhead-canister-vacuum-cleaners.html?itemId=2420, the Dyson DC23 has sealed HEPA filtration - "We tested the sealed HEPA filtration system to confirm that it expels only clean air. The HEPA filter is washable and the vacuum is bagless, which means no vacuum cleaner bag costs! We found that the bin to be hygienic and easy to empty."

There are links to other Dyson vacuums, so you can read their comments on them as well. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Just

Reply #19   Feb 11, 2010 6:18 pm
Just poking my nose in to say "I told you so:"

Opinion to follow,

I think Dysons look pretty neat.  I have never used one but would like to try one just for the heck of it.  I wish they were a little more wallet friendly for a plastic machine, but hey they are all going plastic. 

I think the comment in an  above post is right on.  Even if a machine is totally sealed, once you go to empty the dust container, it is going to be open so it's all moot anyway.

Look at Filter Queen.  A fine machine, great suction, good durability, good filteration.  BUT--you end up taking it outside and dumping it like a shop-vac.  Something seems lost in the process for me.  The old Kirbys were not so great filteration, and then you dumped them on a newspaper and let more dirt fly. Still there is nothing that I could say bad about a Kirby.  But I will always admit to being partial.  The Rainbow was supposed to trap all the dirt in water washed air.  But there is some dirt that is hydrophobic and would escape in the air path.  It was good in theory. 

In the end you could do worse than a Dyson,  you may be able to do better; but it's you that you have to please.  If you like it, it works for you, you can afford it. Go for it.

Venson

Reply #20   Feb 11, 2010 6:49 pm
Just wrote:
Just poking my nose in to say "I told you so:"

Opinion to follow,

. . . In the end you could do worse than a Dyson,  you may be able to do better; but it's you that you have to please.  If you like it, it works for you, you can afford it. Go for it.

Just, that's not fair!  You're stating perfect common sense.

Venson

Hertz

Reply #21   Feb 11, 2010 7:31 pm
Thank you all, and it's good to know the Dyson is completely sealed. It's not so much that it's not releasing dirty air back, it's that they took the time to put quality construction into the machine and design, which is evident of it being completely sealed. I was just curious more than ever, but thanks all you guys :D
procare

Reply #22   Feb 11, 2010 8:01 pm
   Dyson as well as other bagless that have come in for repair have had leakage and don't completely seal. At first they will , then will eventually lose their seal. As evidenced by dust on the body and where the bin is sitting. The worst that I have seen in leakage was the Fantom while it was uot. Dyson is not as bad but does leak..
Hertz

Reply #23   Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm
procare wrote:
   Dyson as well as other bagless that have come in for repair have had leakage and don't completely seal. At first they will , then will eventually lose their seal. As evidenced by dust on the body and where the bin is sitting. The worst that I have seen in leakage was the Fantom while it was uot. Dyson is not as bad but does leak..

I have a feeling that this was due to A.) Improper use B.) Improper maintenance C.) Them being older models. Their canisters - which I am mainly interested in - are VERY simply in their seals (only two through out the whole system in terms of cyclone bin assembly connection - and thus given that their newer uprights seal well - from what I've gathered, I could only imaging their canisters are excellent. Again, just as I have been logically enlightened on this forum, if it leaks a TEENY bit out, big deal? As soon as you go to change a bag or empty the cup you'll get a TEENY bit of dust flying around anyways, so it's not that big of a deal. Still, complete sealing's always nice B)
Venson

Reply #24   Feb 11, 2010 9:54 pm
If the issue is zero blowback, the best bet is a central vacuum that exhaust to the outside of your living space. It doesn't get any better than that.

Venson

Replies: 15 - 24 of 194Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42