Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson sues...
Original Message   Jan 27, 2010 5:28 pm
Dyson sues rival Vax over vacuum cleaner design
Dyson has launched legal action against rival manufacturer Vax, claiming the design of its Mach Zen vacuum cleaner is an infringement of the registered design of its first "bagless" Dyson cylinder vacuum, launched 15 years ago.

The company's founder and inventor James Dyson – who revolutionised the domestic appliance market with the product – said the Chinese-owned rival had "flagrantly copied" Dyson's iconic design and pledged to set a precedent on behalf of all designers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/27/dyson-sues-vax

Replies: 25 - 34 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Dyson sues...
Reply #25   Jan 29, 2010 2:11 pm
M00seUK wrote:
What's the issue? I'm stating a likely, if cynical, view for all this. I don't represent or speak for anyone. Yes, a lawsuit shouldn't be brought for these reasons, but doesn't mean it isn't

The lawsuit is the vehicle to get publicity and tell the story of the communist sponsoring (perhaps) and aiding their manufacture’s in buying up American and UK brand names and then knocking-off or nearly knocking-off ‘the countrymen they sell to’ story needs to get out and be told repeatedly (in the press and in schools).  People in the UK and American need to decide what they need most...  home grown inventions and innovations and protecting these assets that are proven wealth creators and job creators (short and long term) or do they need cheap goods 'screw anyone-at any cost.’

Dyson Invents Big

CarmineD

Reply #26   Jan 29, 2010 2:16 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
The lawsuit is the vehicle to get publicity and tell the story of the communist sponsoring (perhaps) and aiding their manufacture’s in buying up American and UK brand names and then knocking-off or nearly knocking-off ‘the countrymen they sell to’ story needs to get out and be told repeatedly (in the press and in schools).  People in the UK and American need to decide what they need most...  home grown inventions and innovations and protecting these assets that are proven wealth creators and job creators (short and long term) or do they need cheap goods 'screw anyone-at any cost.’

Dyson Invents Big

The UK trade law is clear.  15 years on design unless product is marketed then 10 years.  Whatever happens earlier.  The issue is: Does the supposed Vax copy violate the law?  The UK courts will determine the answer [fortunately] based on the written law not emotions.  I note with interest Vax's defense.  It's not arguing the letter/time of the law which to me seems like a definite win for Vax, but the principle of the law:  Vax claims it doesn't copy dyson, period end of story.  Vax asserts a cadre of in-house designers to claim credit for the design.  Very interesting IMHO.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 29, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #27   Jan 29, 2010 7:51 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
VacmanUK,

I guess putting locks on the door to your home is out of the question, and if a robber or opportunist takes something that’s yours and you want it back...then this makes you an infamous bully.

Any idiot with brain matter can design and build the [what’s mostly a] silly little vacuum cleaner anyway they choose, but Amway (working with Bissell), Hoover UK, Hoover/Maytag, TTI (Hoover USA and VAX, and/or other manufacturers) leach vice lead.  Society needs leaders more than suckers (suck the life from others), and that’s history and a demonstrable fact and not an opinion.

Do you think TTI/Dirt Devil's using Model numbers that parallel Dyson's is an attempt to con the public or is it an attempt to separate and differentiate themselves (from Dyson) in the mind of the public?

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/01/dirt-devil-launches-high-powered-vacuum-cleaners-195683

Dyson Invents Big
 I dont know DIB, but its a hell of a funny that for all that Dysons remain to be unique, they weren't first to create a clear dust bin or adding colour on their models. How pedantic do you want to become? I don't see past companies taking Dyson to court simply because Dyson have used something similar.

For the record I don't think that Dirt Devil are out to snag Dyson would be customers by using a "DC" code. I'm assuming that they've used up virtually every model number they've had with the preceding "DD/Dirt Devil," letters on past models. After all, in Europe and UK Dirt Devil don't just make floorcare appliances and most of their entire ranges have the "DD" lettering identifier. Also, Dirt Devil as you may know aren't a premium brand and will probably never be a premium brand thanks to their budget builds and market share. Thus consumers aren't going to be easily fooled by a Dyson like model just because Dirt Devil happens to have a "DC" in the model name.
CarmineD

Reply #28   Jan 30, 2010 11:28 am
vacmanuk wrote:
 I dont know DIB, but its a hell of a funny that for all that Dysons remain to be unique, they weren't first to create a clear dust bin or adding colour on their models. How pedantic do you want to become? I don't see past companies taking Dyson to court simply because Dyson have used something similar.

For the record I don't think that Dirt Devil are out to snag Dyson would be customers by using a "DC" code. I'm assuming that they've used up virtually every model number they've had with the preceding "DD/Dirt Devil," letters on past models. After all, in Europe and UK Dirt Devil don't just make floorcare appliances and most of their entire ranges have the "DD" lettering identifier. Also, Dirt Devil as you may know aren't a premium brand and will probably never be a premium brand thanks to their budget builds and market share. Thus consumers aren't going to be easily fooled by a Dyson like model just because Dirt Devil happens to have a "DC" in the model name.

Agree with you vacmanuk.  Vacuum and car makers are copycats.  When Lexus launched in 1998 it copied the model numbers and series of Mercedes Benz and BMW on class and motor size.  No lawsuits.  If anything, customers are confused by the alphabets and numbers and don't rely on them for buying.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #29   Jan 30, 2010 12:07 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
VacmanUK,

I guess putting locks on the door to your home is out of the question, and if a robber or opportunist takes something that’s yours and you want it back...then this makes you an infamous bully.

Any idiot with brain matter can design and build the [what’s mostly a] silly little vacuum cleaner anyway they choose, but Amway (working with Bissell), Hoover UK, Hoover/Maytag, TTI (Hoover USA and VAX, and/or other manufacturers) leach vice lead.  Society needs leaders more than suckers (suck the life from others), and that’s history and a demonstrable fact and not an opinion.

Do you think TTI/Dirt Devil's using Model numbers that parallel Dyson's is an attempt to con the public or is it an attempt to separate and differentiate themselves (from Dyson) in the mind of the public?

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/01/dirt-devil-launches-high-powered-vacuum-cleaners-195683

Dyson Invents Big
vacmanuk wrote:

I'll address one point.

Of...  DCC017 | DC17 or DCC019 | DC19
Given that Red TTI has a history of taking what they did not create and then saying Red ran out of name/combination choices or letter/number combination choices is laughable.

CarmineD

Reply #30   Jan 30, 2010 4:14 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
I'll address one point.

Of...  DCC017 | DC17 or DCC019 | DC19
Given that Red TTI has a history of taking what they did not create and then saying Red ran out of name/combination choices or letter/number combination choices is laughable.

The issues are: Do the DD models with similar numbers pawn themselves off as dysons and thereby profit from doing so?  Proving the latter is very hard to do if DD vacuum sales exceed those of dyson sales.  And, last I heard they do and have for many years.  Using similar numbers as dyson is funny IMHO and more a barb at Sir James and dyson.  Your emotional insanity over it is extremely laughable to me.  I suspect when Lexus emulated the models numbers of the prime luxury car makers MB and BMW in 1998 it was for the same reason[s].  As I said most customers pay little or no attention to the alphabet and number models whether cars or vacuums.  As Shakespeare says:  Much to do about nothing.  And: Me thinks you doth protest too much.  Have your pick/both.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 30, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #31   Jan 31, 2010 6:36 am
CarmineD wrote:
The issues are: Do the DD models with similar numbers pawn themselves off as dysons and thereby profit from doing so?  Proving the latter is very hard to do if DD vacuum sales exceed those of dyson sales.  And, last I heard they do and have for many years.  Using similar numbers as dyson is funny IMHO and more a barb at Sir James and dyson.  Your emotional insanity over it is extremely laughable to me.  I suspect when Lexus emulated the models numbers of the prime luxury car makers MB and BMW in 1998 it was for the same reason[s].  As I said most customers pay little or no attention to the alphabet and number models whether cars or vacuums.  As Shakespeare says:  Much to do about nothing.  And: Me thinks you doth protest too much.  Have your pick/both.

Carmine D.

I don't buy/accept the glowing dyson self-made claims that its sales lead the industry.  Show me the proof.

Carmine D. 

vacmanuk

Reply #32   Jan 31, 2010 6:06 pm
Well if you think my suggestion that the TTi policy of using similar Dyson codes are laughable, I think you're under false pretences to think buyers could ever be confused between a Dyson and a Dirt Devil.
CarmineD

Reply #33   Feb 1, 2010 6:22 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Well if you think my suggestion that the TTi policy of using similar Dyson codes are laughable, I think you're under false pretences to think buyers could ever be confused between a Dyson and a Dirt Devil.

As many consumers find it laughable that the cheaper TTI HOOVER models [$100-$250] continually whoop dysons [$500 plus] in the CR ratings and rankings.  Dyson just doesn't get any respect by the industry experts.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #34   Feb 1, 2010 7:33 am
CarmineD wrote:
As many consumers find it laughable that the cheaper TTI HOOVER models [$100-$250] continually whoop dysons [$500 plus] in the CR ratings and rankings.  Dyson just doesn't get any respect by the industry experts.

Carmine D.

Speaking of laughable.  How do you think CR got the name of Clown Reports ?
Replies: 25 - 34 of 53Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42