Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
HeyVerne

A possibility
Original Message   Jan 20, 2010 11:17 am
Hey guys I saw this pair online - what do you think?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: A possibility
Reply #1   Jan 20, 2010 11:58 am
HeyVerne wrote:
Hey guys I saw this pair online - what do you think?

Vern, your link did not work.  Here is the fix...  go back re-edit/redo the hyperlink (pair online).  Firefox never puts links correctly the first time, you have to post once and then go back and re-edit the hyperlink.  When you go back you'll see some javascript language there, just erase this and past the original URL again.

Example:

Dyson - how it works without a re-edit.

Dyson - how it works after a re-edit (posting once and then going back a second time to re-edit).
This message was modified Jan 20, 2010 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #2   Jan 20, 2010 12:43 pm
DIB:

Thanks for posting the dyson Web Site.  I scrolled down and noted as I posted that dyson is now sold in only 6 countries worldwide:  UK, USA, CAN, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA and Austria.  I note the change is as of January 1, 2010.  If I recall correctly, maybe not, dyson retrenched from over 31 countries at the height of its sales curve back to 6 now.  I suspect the cut back is in hope of reducing expenses and costs, primarily transportation which are high for appliances like vacuums, and improve profits by eliminating markets that are not profit makers, but losses, for the company.  Have to wait and see if the move by Sir James is successful and to what degee. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #3   Jan 20, 2010 1:07 pm
Dib-ster:

The upshot of dyson's retrenchment of global markets sadly is that more than likely employees will probably have to be let go.  Not a good thing for dyson and its workforce.  Hopefully, other vacuum companies will pick them up and/or the layoff will be temporary.  If the economic tsunami abates perhaps they will be re-employed and/or reduced to part time employees rather than unemployment. 

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #4   Jan 20, 2010 5:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

Thanks for posting the dyson Web Site.  I scrolled down and noted as I posted that dyson is now sold in only 6 countries worldwide:  UK, USA, CAN, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA and Austria.  I note the change is as of January 1, 2010.  If I recall correctly, maybe not, dyson retrenched from over 31 countries at the height of its sales curve back to 6 now.  I suspect the cut back is in hope of reducing expenses and costs, primarily transportation which are high for appliances like vacuums, and improve profits by eliminating markets that are not profit makers, but losses, for the company.  Have to wait and see if the move by Sir James is successful and to what degee. 

Carmine D.

Not sure what your news on Dyson sale being restricted to 6 countries is based on, but going by the web site drop down on the Dyson web site, it's products are shown as being sold in the following locations :-
  • United Kingdom
  • Japan
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • China
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Indonesia
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Turkey
  • United Arab Emirates
  • USA
With regards to Dyson's own view on recent performance, they provide the following text on recent press releases, etc. :-

Dyson began fourteen years ago with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. We are now the world's number one vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK, US, Tokyo, Western Europe and Australasia.

• The headquarters at Malmesbury, Wiltshire is home to around 300 engineers and scientists who constantly strive to develop new and better technologies.
• Over the last five years, Dyson has quadrupled the amount it invests on RDD

The other day, the following statement was issued:-

Dyson Plans To Expand Facility In Malaysia

LONDON, Jan 16 (Bernama) -- Dyson Limited, the world's largest vacuum cleaner manufacturer, plans to expand its production facility in Malaysia, said its International and Commercial Director Sir Richard Needham.

The company had just closed its manufacturing facility in China, and was taking steps to move them to Malaysia, particularly for its new products, he told reporters here.

Dyson controls 35 per cent of the world's vacuum cleaner market by value and is the number one seller in United States, Europe, Australasia and Russia and number two in Japan.

...its Malaysian facility in Johor also produced the bladeless fan which had sold out its three month production in Australia in merely one week.

---

No mention of radical action being taken in the face of supposed falling sales...
This message was modified Jan 20, 2010 by M00seUK
CarmineD

Reply #5   Jan 20, 2010 6:54 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Not sure what your news on Dyson sale being restricted to 6 countries is based on, but going by the web site drop down on the Dyson web site, it's products are shown as being sold in the following locations :-
  • United Kingdom
  • Japan
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • China
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Indonesia
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Turkey
  • United Arab Emirates
  • USA
With regards to Dyson's own view on recent performance, they provide the following text on recent press releases, etc. :-

Dyson began fourteen years ago with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. We are now the world's number one vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK, US, Tokyo, Western Europe and Australasia.

• The headquarters at Malmesbury, Wiltshire is home to around 300 engineers and scientists who constantly strive to develop new and better technologies.
• Over the last five years, Dyson has quadrupled the amount it invests on RDD

The other day, the following statement was issued:-

Dyson Plans To Expand Facility In Malaysia

LONDON, Jan 16 (Bernama) -- Dyson Limited, the world's largest vacuum cleaner manufacturer, plans to expand its production facility in Malaysia, said its International and Commercial Director Sir Richard Needham.

The company had just closed its manufacturing facility in China, and was taking steps to move them to Malaysia, particularly for its new products, he told reporters here.

Dyson controls 35 per cent of the world's vacuum cleaner market by value and is the number one seller in United States, Europe, Australasia and Russia and number two in Japan.

...its Malaysian facility in Johor also produced the bladeless fan which had sold out its three month production in Australia in merely one week.

---

No mention of radical action being taken in the face of supposed falling sales...

Hello M00seUK:

While I'd really like to believe you, sadly my drop down shows 6 countries only and has since January 1.  This conforms with rumors I heard that dyson planned a huge cut back in markets that were severely hit by the economic global malaise.   Perhaps with the dyson downsizing, closing the factory in China, which I understand was the model of sophisticated robotics that built the DDM, is a logical business move.  It will take time, money and effort to rebuild and assimilate those operations into the existing/expanded Malay plant.  Probably months.  It would have made more sense from a business continuity approach, if the China operations were phased out over time while transitioning to the Malays.  When cost cutting is key, dyson like other companies doesn't have the financial luxury to overlap costly operations at 2 different sites at the same time. 

WRT dyson's self-reporting on its status, I'm suspect.  It's like asking the Democrats last night on the eve of the Senate election in Massachusetts if Martha Coakley would be victorious.  They all, starting with President Obama down to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, predicted a Democratic win.  They would have been right too except after all the votes were counted, Scott Brown ended up with more by a margin of 52% to 47 %.  Strange too, because only 30 days ago, Coakley at a 30 point lead in the polls.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #6   Jan 20, 2010 7:34 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello M00seUK:

While I'd really like to believe you, sadly my drop down shows 6 countries only and has since January 1.  This conforms with rumors I heard that dyson planned a huge cut back in markets that were severely hit by the economic global malaise.   Perhaps with the dyson downsizing, closing the factory in China, which I understand was the model of sophisticated robotics that built the DDM, is a logical business move.  It will take time, money and effort to rebuild and assimilate those operations into the existing/expanded Malay plant.  Probably months.  It would have made more sense from a business continuity approach, if the China operations were phased out over time while transitioning to the Malays.  When cost cutting is key, dyson like other companies don't have the financial luxury to overlap operations at 2 different sites at the same time. 

WRT dyson's self-reporting on its status, I'm suspect.  It's like asking the Democrats last night on the eve of the Senate election in Massachusetts if Martha Coakley would be victorious.  They all, starting with President Obama down to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, predicted a Democratic win.  They would have been right too except after all the votes were counted, Scott Brown ended up with more by a margin of 52% to 47 %.  Strange too, because only 30 days ago, Coakley at a 30 point lead in the polls.

Carmine D.

Hello Carmine - I think you're mistaken. It only show the 6 locations you've stated when you click on it, but if you click and drag down the box on the right-hand side, you should find it scrolls and reveals the ones I've given above. Let me know if you can confirm that and we'll put that part of the conspiracy theory to bed.

I agree that the Dyson statement that they're shut down production in China and are in process of moving to Malaysia sounds revealing. If I recall correctly, the Dyson Digital Motor and Airblade production took place in China. The Dyson Digital Motor V2 (the smaller version, used in the handheld vac / air multiplier) is shown to be produced on a largely automated production line. Not sure if this is in China or not, but it's modular design makes it look like it could be packed up and shipped anywhere at a moments notice - however I would suspect that this is already in Malaysia. In turn inventories for the DDM V1 and Airblade might be relatively stable, with the downturn in the construction market and it not being subject to seasonal demand, making a move for this line feasible. As ever, lots of speculation on what we don't really know in reality.

If Dyson truly did sell it's 3-month production of blade-less fans within one week at around 200 GBP a pop, then it certainly sounds like it well on it's way for RoI for that product. The sales margin must be crazy.
This message was modified Jan 20, 2010 by M00seUK
CarmineD

Reply #7   Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Hello Carmine - I think you're mistaken. It only show the 6 locations you've stated when you click on it, but if you click and drag down the box on the right-hand side, you should find it scrolls and reveals the ones I've given above. Let me know if you can confirm that and we'll put that part of the conspiracy theory to bed.

I agree that the Dyson statement that they're shut down production in China and are in process of moving to Malaysia sounds revealing. If I recall correctly, the Dyson Digital Motor and Airblade production took place in China. The Dyson Digital Motor V2 (the smaller version, used in the handheld vac / air multiplier) is shown to be produced on a largely automated production line. Not sure if this is in China or not, but it's modular design makes it look like it could be packed up and shipped anywhere at a moments notice - however I would suspect that this is already in Malaysia. In turn inventories for the DDM V1 and Airblade might be relatively stable, with the downturn in the construction market and it not being subject to seasonal demand, making a move for this line feasible. As ever, lots of speculation on what we don't really know in reality.

If Dyson truly did sell it's 3-month production of blade-less fans within one week at around 200 GBP a pop, then it certainly sounds like it well on it's way for RoI for that product. The sales margin must be crazy.

Sorry M00seUK.  Unless you have a Mighty Mouse and I have a weakling I only show 6 countries with all my clicking and dragging.   I hope I'm wrong and dyson is going great guns worldwide with sales.  But I have no verification of that at this time.  In fact, just the opposite.  Prior to the Web Site change on January 1, 2010, I read accounts on the internet of falling dyson sales, by non-dyson sources, in foreign countries that showed year over year declines that put at risk keeping the markets open.  Ireland is one country/market that comes to mind off the top of my head.  Tho you show it as still available.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #8   Jan 20, 2010 10:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Sorry M00seUK.  Unless you have a Mighty Mouse and I have a weakling I only show 6 countries with all my clicking and dragging.   I hope I'm wrong and dyson is going great guns worldwide with sales.  But I have no verification of that at this time.  In fact, just the opposite.  Prior to the Web Site change on January 1, 2010, I read accounts on the internet of falling dyson sales, by non-dyson sources, in foreign countries that showed year over year declines that put at risk keeping the markets open.  Ireland is one country/market that comes to mind off the top of my head.  Tho you show it as still available.

Carmine D.

Moose is correct Carmine.  Maybe your computer is like Oreck.  Poor performer.

Here is a likn for Belgium  http://www.dyson.be/    -  Czech Republic  http://www.cz.dyson.com/

There are many more as Moose stated.

CarmineD

Reply #9   Jan 21, 2010 6:44 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Moose is correct Carmine.  Maybe your computer is like Oreck.  Poor performer.

Here is a likn for Belgium  http://www.dyson.be/    -  Czech Republic  http://www.cz.dyson.com/

There are many more as Moose stated.

Hello HS:

Your link works as well as the dyson site drop down.  I'll stick with my ORECK, thank you. 

The irony of bad financial news, especially for companies use to having and reporting just good news for years, no matter how they couch it, twist it, spin it, and attempt to corroborate it in a good light, its still bad news.   

For bad news, here is one dyson user's account.  There's more too.  Carmine D.

Photo of Katherine I.

Katherine I.

Boston, MA

4/9/2008

The Dyson lossed suction.  Can you believe it?  The commercials claim Dyson vacuum cleaners will NEVER lose suction.  So, I bought one because they couldn't make such a claim on TV if it weren't true, right?  RIGHT?!  hehe.
I ask the clerk if they repair a lot of Dyson's.  She says, "Yeah, especially yellow ones like yours."  (Hmm.  Sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting for some young lawyer whose dream of retiring early is one class action away.)  She takes the Dyson and my credit card, charges the standard fee of $29.99 promising to call if the bill will exceed $80, and return it within 7 business days.  They call 4 days later.  It's ready.  I owe $23 more.  "It was clogged with cat hair," the same clerk says.  "Oooh," I say.  
Back home:  Vv v v v rrrrrrrrmmm.  "Here kitty, kitty, kitty!"  *Purrr*

This message was modified Jan 21, 2010 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #10   Jan 21, 2010 7:21 am
Non sequitur (pronounced /nɒnˈsɛkwɪtər/) is Latin for "it does not follow." It is most often used as a noun to describe illogical statements.

Non sequitur may refer to:

• Non sequitur, an irrelevant, often humorous comment to a preceding topic or statement.
  • Non sequitur (logic), a logical fallacy where a stated conclusion is not supported by its premise.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42