Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
HeyVerne

A possibility
Original Message   Jan 20, 2010 11:17 am
Hey guys I saw this pair online - what do you think?
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: A possibility
Reply #11   Jan 21, 2010 7:31 am
Hi M00seUK:

I thought the same after reading your and HS's posts.  Vatican 11 scrubbed Latin as the official language of the Mass in favor of the the vernacular.  While I prefer Latin myself, I must admit that the masses have rallied around the Masses in their native tongue.

However, with Sir James keeping news, especially bad, close to his vest, whether he used Latin or not, it would not matter.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #12   Jan 21, 2010 8:42 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS:

Your link works as well as the dyson site drop down.  I'll stick with my ORECK, thank you. 

The irony of bad financial news, especially for companies use to having and reporting just good news for years, no matter how they couch it, twist it, spin it, and attempt to corroborate it in a good light, its still bad news.   

For bad news, here is one dyson user's account.  There's more too.  Carmine D.

Photo of Katherine I.

Katherine I.

Boston, MA

4/9/2008

The Dyson lossed suction.  Can you believe it?  The commercials claim Dyson vacuum cleaners will NEVER lose suction.  So, I bought one because they couldn't make such a claim on TV if it weren't true, right?  RIGHT?!  hehe.
I ask the clerk if they repair a lot of Dyson's.  She says, "Yeah, especially yellow ones like yours."  (Hmm.  Sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting for some young lawyer whose dream of retiring early is one class action away.)  She takes the Dyson and my credit card, charges the standard fee of $29.99 promising to call if the bill will exceed $80, and return it within 7 business days.  They call 4 days later.  It's ready.  I owe $23 more.  "It was clogged with cat hair," the same clerk says.  "Oooh," I say.  
Back home:  Vv v v v rrrrrrrrmmm.  "Here kitty, kitty, kitty!"  *Purrr*

Being an honest company Dyson does not edit out the negative reviews.  Oreck on the other hand seems to only allow positive reviews on their site.  We know that all users are not satisfied with Oreck.  I just did not bother to post on the Oreck site.

BTW, I ask again.  How do all the vac shops make a profit since most do not repair Dysons?  Do you think the vac shop referenced by the lady above made his living repairing Dysons?  I suspect all depend on all the other brand repairs to make their profits.

If you really want to add meat to your argument why not tell us the % of negatives vs positives on Dyson reviews.  They receive more stars on any site I have visited.  Keep trying.

CarmineD

Reply #13   Jan 21, 2010 8:51 am
HARDSELL wrote:

Being an honest company Dyson does not edit out the negative reviews.  Oreck on the other hand seems to only allow positive reviews on their site.  We know that all users are not satisfied with Oreck.  I just did not bother to post on the Oreck site.

BTW, I ask again.  How do all the vac shops make a profit since most do not repair Dysons?  Do you think the vac shop referenced by the lady above made his living repairing Dysons?  I suspect all depend on all the other brand repairs to make their profits.

If you really want to add meat to your argument why not tell us the % of negatives vs positives on Dyson reviews.  They receive more stars on any site I have visited.  Keep trying.

HS:

I've suggested before and again:  Jon Huntsman's book: "Winners never cheat."

As Katherine I from Mass notes in her comments about her dyson repair:  If dyson said on TV:  Never clogs, never loses suction, it must be true, right?  Sadly, wrong.  For Katherine and other dyson buyers who bought into the superior dyson pitch [some even say lies] over the product performance.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Jan 21, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #14   Jan 21, 2010 8:58 am
HARDSELL wrote:

HS:

That is a soup question worthy of answer.  Correcting you:  Most indies do not sell new dysons.  Most do repair them and as you see from above the standard dyson fee charged at least by this shop is $53-$80 +, depending on whether one/more of the lifetime dyson filters need replacement .  Some would say the cost of a new HOOVER TEMPO with a ONE year unconditional warranty, which by chance Consumer Reports consistently rates over any/all dysons ranging in price from $400 up to $600. 

Gee!  I think I just answered the SEVERUS question to you:  What vacuum gives the most bang for the buck.  See what you can do even without a doctorate degree in Philosophy.  Provide meaningful information with answers to questions.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #15   Jan 21, 2010 10:31 am
CarmineD wrote:

HS:

That is a soup question worthy of answer.  Correcting you:  Most indies do not sell new dysons.  Most do repair them and as you see from above the standard dyson fee charged at least by this shop is $53-$80 +, depending on whether one/more of the lifetime dyson filters need replacement .  Some would say the cost of a new HOOVER TEMPO with a ONE year unconditional warranty, which by chance Consumer Reports consistently rates over any/all dysons ranging in price from $400 up to $600. 

Gee!  I think I just answered the SEVERUS question to you:  What vacuum gives the most bang for the buck.  See what you can do even without a doctorate degree in Philosophy.  Provide meaningful information with answers to questions.

Carmine D.

You corrected nothing.  I never said that inides sell Dyson.  I simply implied that all the other brands have so many problems that the indies make good profits keeping them running.  OTH, Dyson seems to be non profitable because repairs are too few to support an indie.

More would say that the throw away Tempo is not as good as Dyson.  Some also say that Oreck gives the least bang for the buck.  I told Severus that cleaning performance (to me) was the most bang for the buck in a vacuum.  I suppose I added another refurb t the Oreck list.

HARDSELL

Reply #16   Jan 21, 2010 10:36 am
CarmineD wrote:

HS:

I've suggested before and again:  Jon Huntsman's book: "Winners never cheat."

As Katherine I from Mass notes in her comments about her dyson repair:  If dyson said on TV:  Never clogs, never loses suction, it must be true, right?  Sadly, wrong.  For Katherine and other dyson buyers who bought into the superior dyson pitch [some even say lies] over the product performance.

Carmine D. 

You are only assuming the problem was Dyson's.  You did not see the condition of the vac.  If it was overfilled I would expect the cat hair to be trapped.  Most pet owners are not savy enough to know that the hair can clog.  Why not contact the shop and see what they say? I would suspect that most vac problems are user related as they are in most consumer goods. 
CarmineD

Reply #17   Jan 21, 2010 1:07 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
You are only assuming the problem was Dyson's.  You did not see the condition of the vac.  If it was overfilled I would expect the cat hair to be trapped.  Most pet owners are not savy enough to know that the hair can clog.  Why not contact the shop and see what they say? I would suspect that most vac problems are user related as they are in most consumer goods. 

HS:

Probably a mix of both user and product related problems.  Consumers don't read manuals and follow directions correctly.  The more complicated/expensive the vacuum brand, the higher the repair and maintenance costs: i.e dyson repairs.  As Tom G and others stated, dysons really need to be demoed properly to customers. Dysons, as bagless vacuums, require meticulous care to dump the dirt bin faithfully and clean/wash the filters regularly.  In a way, just like Rainbows.

The simpler/easier the vacuums, the less expensive the repairs.  It would take 5-10 ORECK/TEMPO repairs to make the profit from one dyson repair.  Factor this into the SEVERUS question:  What vacuum[s] provide[s] the most bang for the buck?  Brands with less expensive repairs and/or user friendly repairs: i.e repairs that can be done by users like ORECK and HOOVER TEMPO rate higher grades for customers than dysons which rate lower grades.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #18   Jan 21, 2010 1:10 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

You corrected nothing.  I never said that inides sell Dyson.  I simply implied that all the other brands have so many problems that the indies make good profits keeping them running.  OTH, Dyson seems to be non profitable because repairs are too few to support an indie.

More would say that the throw away Tempo is not as good as Dyson.  Some also say that Oreck gives the least bang for the buck.  I told Severus that cleaning performance (to me) was the most bang for the buck in a vacuum.  I suppose I added another refurb t the Oreck list.

HS:

While it appears less likely to toss a $500 vacuum versus a $50, I have seen as many dysons in city dumps and trash as HOOVER Tempos.  The decision to toss is a personal/people one based on costs to repair not necessarily a product one.  Certainly from my own personal research, the brand most likely not to be claimed both before and/or after repair is dyson.  Hence, the huge and pervasive sale of dyson refurbs.  As you noted in the example, the vacuum store clerk said if the dyson repair exceeded $80, the customer would get called to get an okay to proceed.  The dyson repair if filters were needed easily would have cost $120.  $53 for the service and another $60 for filters for a total of $113 before tax.  The price of 2 new Tempo's and one rebuilt Oreck.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #19   Jan 21, 2010 5:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:

HS:

While it appears less likely to toss a $500 vacuum versus a $50, I have seen as many dysons in city dumps and trash as HOOVER Tempos.  The decision to toss is a personal/people one based on costs to repair not necessarily a product one.  Certainly from my own personal research, the brand most likely not to be claimed both before and/or after repair is dyson.  Hence, the huge and pervasive sale of dyson refurbs.  As you noted in the example, the vacuum store clerk said if the dyson repair exceeded $80, the customer would get called to get an okay to proceed.  The dyson repair if filters were needed easily would have cost $120.  $53 for the service and another $60 for filters for a total of $113 before tax.  The price of 2 new Tempo's and one rebuilt Oreck.

Carmine D. 

Spend  a few $ and continue using the Dyson.  The problem would not occur with Oreck because it would not pick up enough to clog.

Buy an Oreck to use electricity and live in filth.  Buy a Dyson and maintain a clean home.

Or buy a Tempo and Oreck to half ast do as much as a single Dyson. 

CarmineD

Reply #20   Jan 21, 2010 7:44 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Spend  a few $ and continue using the Dyson.  The problem would not occur with Oreck because it would not pick up enough to clog.

Buy an Oreck to use electricity and live in filth.  Buy a Dyson and maintain a clean home.

Or buy a Tempo and Oreck to half ast do as much as a single Dyson. 

HS:

Using both a HOOVER TEMPO and ORECK XL Classic for rug/floor cleaning, I replace the paper bags in each about every two months.  When I do insert a new bag, I opine that the full paper bags contain about 5 times more dirt [conservatively speaking] than a full DC07 dirt bin.  I wouldn't expect 20 percent of the dirt I normally pick up with my $75 HOOVER TEMPO and/or $150 ORECK to clog any vacuum let alone one that retails for $400 plus like dyson.   I must admit however I might be wrong.  Maybe it can.  Perhaps that is the reason you sold your DC07 after 3 years and bought/currently use a HOOVER Platinum bagged Lightweight.  Having used both these models, HOOVER bagged Platinum light and DC07 pink, I would vote for the HOOVER too just as you.  The bag has a usable capacity comparable to my ORECK and slighly more than my HOOVER TEMPO.

Carmine D.

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42