Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm
Shark is going after the Dyson Ball pretty hard with the Navigator product.  It claims no loss of suction and claims its just as easy to maneuver as the Dyson Ball.  After acknowledging Dyson as the first to offer no loss of suction, they go for the throat.  They do a direct comparison to a Dyson Ball and state that they are equal in all ways (easy to maneuver, no loss of suction, 5 year warranty) but price.  For less than $200 you can get a Shark Navigator with a free steam cleaner thrown in to boot. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 91 - 100 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Re: Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Reply #91   Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm
For what it's worth, I used to wash the cyclone assembly on my Eureka 4885 dual cyclone.   Other than Dyson, what bagless vacuums CAN'T have their cyclones washed?  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #92   Apr 28, 2010 4:31 pm
Severus wrote:
For what it's worth, I used to wash the cyclone assembly on my Eureka 4885 dual cyclone.   Other than Dyson, what bagless vacuums CAN'T have their cyclones washed?  

Hi SEVERUS:

Cyclones and/or shrouds?  In the EUREKA Whirlwind cyclone bagless uprights, the shroud and bins were washable.  The cyclones were contained and sealed and atop the bin/shroud.  Perhaps the difference is Venson's LG bagless clone is a cann vice an upright.  Different dirt path/cyclone operations on canns versus uprights.  Maybe.

Carmine D. 

retardturtle1

Reply #93   Apr 28, 2010 6:08 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi SEVERUS:

Thanks SEVERUS.  Shark, despite its chintziness at $150 has the edge over dyson on the cyclones.  I'm not an expert on patent filing but I presume Shark obtained the patent for its Navigator with Infinity Technology [washable cyclones] the same way as any/all product makers:  Submitted the proper filings and paid the fees.  Infinity means forever as in lifetime and its symbol which never ends [continuous vertical 8].  The cyclones are the first line of defense for filtering dirt in all bagless vacuums.  Cyclones get clogged with dirt after use and over time.  It is inevitable.  The cyclone clogging degrades vacuum suction and operations.  Keeping the cyclones squeaky clean prolongs the efficiency of the cyclones, filters, and the motor, hence the vacuum operations.  Unlike dyson which requires/demands filter cleaning every 2-3 months, Shark says just a rinsing 2 times a year for filter maintenance.  Shark Navigator's washable cyclones make the difference.

IMHO, introducing water to a dyson cyclone assembly produces a muddy muck that dries rock hard and kills the operations of the cyclones alot quicker than a rusty spring.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

Had a chance yesterday to look at one already taken somewhat apart  at Wally....ill say that ease of cleaning/cyclones/ect  would be a breeze on it but im not too sure on how well the brushroll/powerhead  will be at deep cleaning  (prefer a full size suction motor driven roller....just me. ) Pretty light....quality of plastic is pretty good for what you pay......not bad for a bagless...anxious to hear some first use feedback on this one.

turtle

CarmineD

Reply #94   Apr 29, 2010 8:08 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

Had a chance yesterday to look at one already taken somewhat apart  at Wally....ill say that ease of cleaning/cyclones/ect  would be a breeze on it but im not too sure on how well the brushroll/powerhead  will be at deep cleaning  (prefer a full size suction motor driven roller....just me. ) Pretty light....quality of plastic is pretty good for what you pay......not bad for a bagless...anxious to hear some first use feedback on this one.

turtle

Hello turtle:

Agree with you. 

Of note, at least to me, it appears most bagless upright and cann vacuums have disguised/veiled the cyclones from customers' view but clearly let the dirt show in the bins for dumping.  Except Shark Navigator which puts the cyclones behind clear plastic so users can see the dirt in them and also wash clean.  That gives Shark Navigator the edge in bagless from my perspective.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 29, 2010 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #95   Apr 29, 2010 8:38 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello turtle:

Agree with you. 

Of note, at least to me, it appears most bagless upright and cann vacuums have disguised/veiled the cyclones from customers' view but clearly let the dirt show in the bins for dumping.  Except Shark Navigator which puts the cyclones behind clear plastic so users can see the dirt in them and also wash clean.  That gives Shark Navigator the edge in bagless from my perspective.

Carmine D.

How do you think it will perform on edge cleaning.

All machines that I have used with front exhaust are useless on hard surface vacuuming.

CarmineD

Reply #96   Apr 29, 2010 9:16 am
HARDSELL wrote:
How do you think it will perform on edge cleaning.

All machines that I have used with front exhaust are useless on hard surface vacuuming.

HS:

One of the attachments on board is 24 inch long combo wand/crevice tool.  In concert with the quick release hose and high suction, edge cleaning at least with the attachments should be decent for this Shark Navigator, a lightweight upright.  Not sure YET about the edge cleaning at the nozzle head. 

When the upright is in the prone position exhaust expels up and outward, not straight ahead.  In attachment mode, the exhaust, by turning the vacuum around for tool use, expels to the rear of the vacuum and user.  Shouldn't be a problem.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 29, 2010 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #97   Apr 29, 2010 10:19 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

One of the attachments on board is 24 inch long combo wand/crevice tool.  In concert with the quick release hose and high suction, edge cleaning at least with the attachments should be decent for this Shark Navigator, a lightweight upright.  Not sure YET about the edge cleaning at the nozzle head. 

When the upright is in the prone position exhaust expels up and outward, not straight ahead.  In attachment mode, the exhaust, by turning the vacuum around for tool use, expels to the rear of the vacuum and user.  Shouldn't be a problem.

Carmine D.

I have read reports that the when using the hose it tips the vacuum over easily.  Also that the hose suction is reduced drastically with tool useage.  The cleaning path is reported to be narrow and edge cleaning is poor.  It weighs more than the DC24.

Who vacuums hard surfaces with an upright in the prone position.  By doing this one could probably blow the cobwebs from the ceiling.  A good upright can be used on hard surfaces without tools.  So I do see this as a problem.  At least for me.

Venson

Reply #98   Apr 29, 2010 11:25 am
This unfortunately will not be a year for doing any at-home testing at my place.  However, if had mad money I'd bring one home in a shot.

Due to its basically low price, it's not the kind of machine I'd expect perfection from.  Perfection appears starts at about 350 bucks higher than this machine sells for.  In any event, perfect is as perfect does.  Just below you will find an image of the Navigator's predecessor, the EP621.  It had strong suction and did well on carpeting.  It's main fault was the pleated filter it used for filtration.  The filter wasn't easy to keep clean and needed to be replaced every few months at a cost of about fifteen bucks or so.

Though it had a stretch hose it was not great at firmly standing its ground for above the floor work but I found it not that big a deal.  I simply held onto the handle of the machine if I had to reach.  The Navigator's power nozzle is basically a rehash of the EP621's.

The Navigator, a big improvement on an existing idea,  trumps the EP621 in that it's employing real cyclonics for dust separation.  I never had any problems with the EP621's exhaust and would not anticipate problems in the same area with the Navigator.  As for other faults like instability while using the hose it will probably prove a small thing for users it best suits.  I don't particularly see the Navigator in play as main cleaning tool in larger homes except as a supplemental machine, however in my neck of the woods -- lots of small apartment dwellers in need of all the space they can get the Navigator should do well.  Strong suction, decent cleaning and in need of a minimal amount of storage space.  Though I wouldn't consider a place for this machine in one of teh Rockefelllers' homes, thrift and decent performance will most likely make the Navigator worth the time and investment for many buyers.

Venson

Lucky1

Reply #99   Apr 29, 2010 11:58 am
Venson wrote:
This unfortunately will not be a year for doing any at-home testing at my place.  However, if had mad money I'd bring one home in a shot.

Due to its basically low price, it's not the kind of machine I'd expect perfection from.  Perfection appears starts at about 350 bucks higher than this machine sells for.  In any event, perfect is as perfect does.  Just below you will find an image of the Navigator's predecessor, the EP621.  It had strong suction and did well on carpeting.  It's main fault was the pleated filter it used for filtration.  The filter wasn't easy to keep clean and needed to be replaced every few months at a cost of about fifteen bucks or so.

Though it had a stretch hose it was not great at firmly standing its ground for above the floor work but I found it not that big a deal.  I simply held onto the handle of the machine if I had to reach.  The Navigator's power nozzle is basically a rehash of the EP621's.

The Navigator, a big improvement on an existing idea,  trumps the EP621 in that it's employing real cyclonics for dust separation.  I never had any problems with the EP621's exhaust and would not anticipate problems in the same area with the Navigator.  As for other faults like instability while using the hose it will probably prove a small thing for users it best suits.  I don't particularly see the Navigator in play as main cleaning tool in larger homes except as a supplemental machine, however in my neck of the woods -- lots of small apartment dwellers in need of all the space they can get the Navigator should do well.  Strong suction, decent cleaning and in need of a minimal amount of storage space.  Though I wouldn't consider a place for this machine in one of teh Rockefelllers' homes, thrift and decent performance will most likely make the Navigator worth the time and investment for many buyers.

Venson

You do realize by buying a Shark you will only encourage Euro Pro! LOL
Venson

Reply #100   Apr 29, 2010 12:07 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
You do realize by buying a Shark you will only encourage Euro Pro! LOL

Yes, I know!  Has there been any improvement on the customer service end?

Venson

Replies: 91 - 100 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42