Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:23 pm
Shark is going after the Dyson Ball pretty hard with the Navigator product.  It claims no loss of suction and claims its just as easy to maneuver as the Dyson Ball.  After acknowledging Dyson as the first to offer no loss of suction, they go for the throat.  They do a direct comparison to a Dyson Ball and state that they are equal in all ways (easy to maneuver, no loss of suction, 5 year warranty) but price.  For less than $200 you can get a Shark Navigator with a free steam cleaner thrown in to boot. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 101 - 110 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Shark Navigator - a flagrant Dyson copy at 1/3 the price?
Reply #101   Apr 29, 2010 1:57 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I have read reports that the when using the hose it tips the vacuum over easily.  Also that the hose suction is reduced drastically with tool useage.  The cleaning path is reported to be narrow and edge cleaning is poor.  It weighs more than the DC24.

Who vacuums hard surfaces with an upright in the prone position.  By doing this one could probably blow the cobwebs from the ceiling.  A good upright can be used on hard surfaces without tools.  So I do see this as a problem.  At least for me.

First some clarification:  Prone as in the handle is in the normal user position.  

Since you use a DC24, I read all the same criticisms you mention about the Shark Navigator about DC24.  Weight is 12 pounds for the DC24 and 15 pounds for the Navigator.  Both classified as lightweights. 

W*M and COSTCO are both recent retailers of the Shark Navigator.  Unfortunately, so new that there are no reviews of the Shark Navigator on their sites.  In fact it's not even on the COSTCO web site yet.  Difference in price between the two is huge.  That gives the edge to Shark as a lightweight upright.  Shark is $150.  DC24 is $300 and more.  I like the brush roll in the Shark much better than DC24.  DC24 is almost more vacuum stick like.  Shark is, at least, comparable to a decent size power head brush roll.  More what I would expect from a lightweight upright.  Plus, the washable cyclones puts the Shark over the edge for my liking versus a DC24.  Plus filter cleaning is only twice a year on Shark Naviogator versus 4-6 times per annum for DC24.

Here are some reviews on the Shark if you're interested. 

http://www.vacuumwizard.com/shark-navigator-vacuum.html

BEST BUY Shark Navigator reviews rate it 4.7 stars out of 5:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shark+-+Navigator+No+Loss+of+Suction+Upright+Vacuum+-+Lavender/9350588.p?skuId=9350588&id=1218089484682

Perfect it's not.  Worth $150.  Most definitely.

Here is the dyson Brushbar

$18.99

Replacement brush bar assembly for your Dyson DC24.

Part No. 917390-02

Brushbar

I could not locate a picture of the Shark Navigator brush roller.  Here is a product video for the Shark Navigator on the Bed Bath And Beyond Web Site which takes only 1 minute and 35 seconds.  You get a very good perspective of the brush roller in use on floors and rugs as well as some of the other features you asked about and are discussed above, if you're interested.  Like all the dysons, Shark Navigator comes with a 5 year warranty.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16586927

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 29, 2010 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #102   Apr 29, 2010 4:02 pm
CarmineD wrote:
First some clarification:  Prone as in the handle is in the normal user position.  

Since you use a DC24, I read all the same criticisms you mention about the Shark Navigator about DC24.  Weight is 12 pounds for the DC24 and 15 pounds for the Navigator.  Both classified as lightweights. 

W*M and COSTCO are both recent retailers of the Shark Navigator.  Unfortunately, so new that there are no reviews of the Shark Navigator on their sites.  In fact it's not even on the COSTCO web site yet.  Difference in price between the two is huge.  That gives the edge to Shark as a lightweight upright.  Shark is $150.  DC24 is $300 and more.  I like the brush roll in the Shark much better than DC24.  DC24 is almost more vacuum stick like.  Shark is, at least, comparable to a decent size power head brush roll.  More what I would expect from a lightweight upright.  Plus, the washable cyclones puts the Shark over the edge for my liking versus a DC24.  Plus filter cleaning is only twice a year on Shark Naviogator versus 4-6 times per annum for DC24.

Here are some reviews on the Shark if you're interested. 

http://www.vacuumwizard.com/shark-navigator-vacuum.html

BEST BUY Shark Navigator reviews rate it 4.7 stars out of 5:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shark+-+Navigator+No+Loss+of+Suction+Upright+Vacuum+-+Lavender/9350588.p?skuId=9350588&id=1218089484682

Perfect it's not.  Worth $150.  Most definitely.

Here is the dyson Brushbar

$18.99

Replacement brush bar assembly for your Dyson DC24.

Part No. 917390-02

Brushbar

Carmine D.

Prone is a downard position.  Mostly referred to as face down (and lying down).  So I have to assume you mean lean the vac forward rather than lay the handle down in a backwards motion.  How do you vacuum like that?

I was giving realistic opinions of users and not making any comparison to Dyson other than weight since you mentioned that it was a lightweight.  Neither you nor I can say which is better from personal experience.  However, a narrow vacuum path is a criticism.  Also weak motor prone to failure.  Can't leave out bad brush rolls (freezing).

I found 173 reviews of the Navigator on WM site.  Oldest dated 7-30-09.  Perhaps your computer is lagging as are you.  On the other hand I think it is another of your BS attempts to avoid others from finding the negatives. 

There are numerous other sites with reviews also.

CarmineD

Reply #103   Apr 29, 2010 7:48 pm
Hardshell peanut brain:

I use prone position to mean handle in the user position.  Prone because if the user lets the handle go in this position, most uprights are 'prone' to fall down. 

I admit I looked quickly at the W*M site.  Why?  You tend to kow tow W*M and its customers with your impugning remarks because Wal*Mart kicked dyson out several years ago.

So, instead I deliberately used BEST BUY, the company that sells the most dyson product and the place where you bought your dyson DC07, to show customer reviews are 4.7 stars out of 5 for the Shark Navigator.  Plus, Bed Bath and Beyond, a one time dyson vacuum retailer strictly at dyson MAP, which now runs a Shark Navigator video on it's vacuum page.  Are you seeing a trend here yet hardshell.

In any event, put whatever bagless upright you want against the Shark Navigator in a comparative analysis both as an upright and with attachments.  It fares as well as all the others if not better.  The reason these and other big box retailers advertise, promote and sell Shark Navigators.

I know that must break your dyson heart.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 29, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #104   Apr 30, 2010 7:57 am
From the W*M web site for vacuums.  Of 173 reviews by Walmart customers the Shark Navigator gets almost 5 stars.  Picture gives a good view of the lightweight bagless vacuum, its brush roll and see thru washable cyclones and bin.  This is either a W*M exclusive or not the latest Shark Navigator [latter is more likely the case] which is available in Lavender now.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 30, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #105   Apr 30, 2010 8:50 am
QVC sells the Shark navigator Lavender for $170.  Here's a video from its web site which gives a good sense of the noise level during operation with and without the brush roll engaged.  The TV demo-ers are talking in their regular voices while taking the Shark Navigator through its steps.  Also demoes and features the extra long hose for vacuuming steps and stairwells.  QVC calls the Shark Navigator a top rated seller with 91 percent of the buyers recommending to others.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.COLL.item.V29525.desc.Shark-Navigator-Upright-Vacuum-w-Power-Brush-Accessories

Impressive for the price. Note the "Never Loses Suction" imprinted on the latest Shark Navigator Lavender in the demoes vice the previous Shark Model which does not carry the claim.  I suspect the patent receipt makes the difference in the usage of this product claim on the Shark Navigator.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 30, 2010 by CarmineD
retardturtle1

Reply #106   May 2, 2010 6:32 pm
tCarmineD wrote:
QVC sells the Shark navigator Lavender for $170.  Here's a video from its web site which gives a good sense of the noise level during operation with and without the brush roll engaged.  The TV demo-ers are talking in their regular voices while taking the Shark Navigator through its steps.  Also demoes and features the extra long hose for vacuuming steps and stairwells.  QVC calls the Shark Navigator a top rated seller with 91 percent of the buyers recommending to others.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.CM_SCID.COLL.item.V29525.desc.Shark-Navigator-Upright-Vacuum-w-Power-Brush-Accessories

Impressive for the price. Note the "Never Loses Suction" imprinted on the latest Shark Navigator Lavender in the demoes vice the previous Shark Model which does not carry the claim.  I suspect the patent receipt makes the difference in the usage of this product claim on the Shark Navigator.

Carmine D.

Ive  read and seen where the dyson brushroll has undergone alot of r&d...to make it as good or better than the rest. yet many still say its sub par and doesnt deep clean. ...and if the build up of dirt in the cyclones has been an issue since the start with dyson why have they yet to fix this problem/s....or at least make the cyclones washable......shark seems to have addressed these issues from what ive read...why is dyson not  using 400 engineers to address the issues that have been a problem from the start....yet a ball was the more important issue..airmuscle tech .....why complicate the simple....shark seems to have kept it simple and address dysons issues at a third to half the price

turtle

This message was modified May 2, 2010 by retardturtle1
CarmineD

Reply #107   May 3, 2010 7:04 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
Ive  read and seen where the dyson brushroll has undergone alot of r&d...to make it as good or better than the rest. yet many still say its sub par and doesnt deep clean. ...and if the build up of dirt in the cyclones has been an issue since the start with dyson why have they yet to fix this problem/s....or at least make the cyclones washable......shark seems to have addressed these issues from what ive read...why is dyson not  using 400 engineers to address the issues that have been a problem from the start....yet a ball was the more important issue..airmuscle tech .....why complicate the simple....shark seems to have kept it simple and address dysons issues at a third to half the price

turtle

To dyson's credit, it finally after 8 consecutive years of worst uprights and cyclinders ratings in Europe earned respect from Which? for its products.  Sadly, it hasn't done the same in the USA with Consumer Reports.  Got on the fringes of top 10 with DC17 at a 10/11 rating but never higher.  Some here indluding dyson fans maintained that winning CR's respect in the reviews and ratings was tantamount to success.  Hasn't happened yet and it's been 8 years since the USA launch.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #108   May 3, 2010 7:43 am
The thing is though, I don't consider this Shark to be a proper upright vacuum. It looks like a stick vac with a powered motor head on it, similar to Sebo's Felix upright. Therefore can it actually be a flagrant copy of Dyson at the third of price? That filtration system also looks very similar to the one adopted on Bissell's Easy Vac too:

This message was modified May 3, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #109   May 3, 2010 8:01 am
vacmanuk wrote:
The thing is though, I don't consider this Shark to be a proper upright vacuum. It looks like a stick vac with a powered motor head on it, similar to Sebo's Felix upright. Therefore can it actually be a flagrant copy of Dyson at the third of price? That filtration system also looks very similar to the one adopted on Bissell's Easy Vac too:

The Shark Navigator Pet is classified as a lightweight at 15 pounds.  Comes with a 5 year warranty.  Tools and hose length for stairs equal those of a full size vacuum making it a formidable contender against full size uprights and canisters.  I believe you are posting a picture of a previous and earlier Shark Navigator, not the latest.  Much to the chagrin of other bagless uprights the Shark Navigator Pet has the claim: Never loses suction embedded into the vacuum.  After all the industry dust up on this claim, I contend the washable cyclones and twice yearly filter cleaning on Shark Navigator [vice the dyson 4-6 times per year cleaning and others] make the difference in the usage of the product claim with Shark Navigator.  The brush roll in size and form on the Shark Navigator is comparable to a decent size power head nozzle.  Better easily IMHO than a DC24 which sells for $399.  As good a brush roll perhaps even better than an ORECK.  Shark Navigator is slightly stiffer.  I don't believe CR has rated and reviewed yet.  It should be interesting to see how well it fares.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 3, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #110   May 3, 2010 8:14 am
I'm going by the Lavender one that was shown before I posted a picture of the Bissel Easy Vac. Has anyone actually bought this Shark Navigator?? Otherwise we'll be fleeing back and forth with facts, figures and speculations at this rate.
Replies: 101 - 110 of 157Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42