Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC23 Motorhead issues

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Scott3085

Dyson DC23 Motorhead issues
Original Message   Nov 21, 2009 10:32 am
Hi everyone, I purchased a DC 23 Motorhead back in July because up until that point, I had only great experiences with Dyson products.   Previously, I had owned a DC 07 and gifted my DC17 animal to my parents.   The canister was working great until just last week.   When I was vacuuming, the motor in the powerhead kept going on and off by itself.   I checked the brush roll and there aren't any obstructions.  The vacuum gets VERY light use as I have a Miele that is also used in the mix.   My cleaning woman also only uses her vacuum so I'm estimating that the Dyson is used maybe once every other week.   I feel that for a four month old vacuum, this kind of problem is unacceptable.  Based on my previous experiences, I hadn't been concerned about product repair.  However, now that I do have a problem, is it true that this vacuum can't be fixed by an indep. shop?   Does anyone have good customer service experiences with Dyson?  I'm tempted to sell it on Craigslist and just be done with bagless.  The thought of having to ship my vacuum to Dyson on my dime is very unappealing.  At least my Miele is 9 years old and still going strong!   Thanks for any advice.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC23 Motorhead issues
Reply #4   Nov 22, 2009 7:50 am
Scott3085 wrote:
Hi everyone, I purchased a DC 23 Motorhead back in July because up until that point, I had only great experiences with Dyson products.   Previously, I had owned a DC 07 and gifted my DC17 animal to my parents.   The canister was working great until just last week.   When I was vacuuming, the motor in the powerhead kept going on and off by itself.   I checked the brush roll and there aren't any obstructions.  The vacuum gets VERY light use as I have a Miele that is also used in the mix.   My cleaning woman also only uses her vacuum so I'm estimating that the Dyson is used maybe once every other week.   I feel that for a four month old vacuum, this kind of problem is unacceptable.  Based on my previous experiences, I hadn't been concerned about product repair.  However, now that I do have a problem, is it true that this vacuum can't be fixed by an indep. shop?   Does anyone have good customer service experiences with Dyson?  I'm tempted to sell it on Craigslist and just be done with bagless.  The thought of having to ship my vacuum to Dyson on my dime is very unappealing.  At least my Miele is 9 years old and still going strong!   Thanks for any advice.
Venson wrote:
Hi Scott3058, If the power nozzle is losing power and not stalling, I'd take it in to an indie shop and ask them to check and test all electrical connections from the hose handle to the power nozzle. Hopefully, all it might mean is the replacement of an external part of your machine and not the whole thing. I would think Dyson would cover the replacement of a bad hose wand or PN after only four months. Venson

Hello Scott3058:

Too bad about your new dyson DC23.  It happens with the best of vacuum products.  An independent vacuum store which is authorized by dyson can assist you without having to ship the whole unit back to dyson at your expense and waiting several weeks for a repair/repacement.  Unfortunately, authorized dyson dealers are few and far between.  If you take your new DC23 to a non-dyson vacuum store, the dyson warranty will be void and you'll most likely be charged too. 

Here's a suggestion which builds on Venson's advice.  Take your hose, wands, and power head back to the retailer where you bought the DC23.  Ask the store staff, being sure to have a supervisor present, if you can test your dyson parts on a DC23 store display.  Test your hose, then your wands, then the power head until you discover the source of the problem[s].  After you know the source of the problem for sure, then contact the dyson helpline and/or a dyson authorized dealer and present your problem and ask for a solution.  The resolution should be a new part replacement.  Voila.  You're back in business.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 22, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #5   Nov 22, 2009 7:56 am
CarmineD wrote:
dyson DiB:

Having used this telephone feature, I was not impressed.   First, the time delay in finally getting a person to talk with.  Second, the lack of help that was provided.  It appears that the responders have a "canned" menu that they speak from.  If and when the quation/issue deviates from their routine, they can't/don't provide any useful advice.

Carmine D.

That seems to be today's trend.  I called Hoover two times with questions about the platinum.  BTW, this is supposed to be a department dedicated to the PLATINUM series.  I was not impressed. except they did speak ENGLISH.

CarmineD

Reply #6   Nov 22, 2009 8:02 am
HARDSELL wrote:
That seems to be today's trend.  I called Hoover two times with questions about the platinum.  BTW, this is supposed to be a department dedicated to the PLATINUM series.  I was not impressed. except they did speak ENGLISH.

Have to agree with you HS.  I used the HOOVER helpline for a TEMPO about a year ago, TTI owned, and was not impressed either.  However, 3 years ago when I used the helpline, still Maytag owned, for a Floormate, I was very impressed.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #7   Nov 22, 2009 8:51 am
CarmineD wrote:
Have to agree with you HS.  I used the HOOVER helpline for a TEMPO about a year ago, TTI owned, and was not impressed either.  However, 3 years ago when I used the helpline, still Maytag owned, for a Floormate, I was very impressed.

Carmine D.

Most (not all) helplines should be called talklines.  Not much help offered.  The telephone companies have some of the poorest communications. They should be excellent communicators.

About all you get is select from the following menu about a dozen times.   Finally you are told to hold for the next available attentant. You hold for several minutes before reaching an attendant.  After all that work they will usually transfer you and often disconnect in the transfer.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #8   Nov 22, 2009 11:58 am
CarmineD wrote:
dyson DiB:

Having used this telephone feature, I was not impressed.   First, the time delay in finally getting a person to talk with.  Second, the lack of help that was provided.  It appears that the responders have a "canned" menu that they speak from.  If and when the quation/issue deviates from their routine, they can't/don't provide any useful advice.

Carmine D.

Many have called Dyson and report (online on reviews) how helpful Dyson's helpline is.  Canned?  My auto mechanic repairs my car via canned knowledge.  BTW, Universities graduate doctors and scientists via canned textbooks.  You're complaining of Dyson cause that's what you do and you do it, over and over and over and over again.  When you called did you talk to someone from India or from Chicago (spoke and could be understood)?  I have no doubt you calling Dyson Helpline is one of your 'lets see how far I can yank and run this guy/gal around,' and lets see how much vacuum-smarter you are than those you fleece.  The fact you could not diagnose the Dyson yourself puts you more into a rubber band swapper category vice 'know your stuff' category.

DIB
This message was modified Nov 22, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #9   Nov 22, 2009 3:09 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Many have called Dyson and report (online on reviews) how helpful Dyson's helpline is.  Canned?  My auto mechanic repairs my car via canned knowledge.  BTW, Universities graduate doctors and scientists via canned textbooks.  You're complaining of Dyson cause that's what you do and you do it, over and over and over and over again.  When you called did you talk to someone from India or from Chicago (spoke and could be understood)?  I have no doubt you calling Dyson Helpline is one of your 'lets see how far I can yank and run this guy/gal around,' and lets see how much vacuum-smarter you are than those you fleece.  The fact you could not diagnose the Dyson yourself puts you more into a rubber band swapper category vice 'know your stuff' category.

DIB

dyson DiB:

If I were looking to pick a "canned" beef with dyson/its helpline, spending a few hundred dollars of my own cash money to purchase a new DC07 pink is not the way to do it.  I report the facts/circumstances as I see them.  If it offends you, my answer to you is tough.  When I plunk my money down for a product, I get to determine how well my money was spent and why.  Not you for me. 

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #10   Nov 23, 2009 3:22 pm
Maybe one day Dyson will hire and then actually LISTEN to Vacuum Professionals instead of Bean Counters and Marketing People. Until then there will be tons of Box Store Discounts, Coupons, refurbs, fleabay sales and TV Shopping offers all with NO SERVICE. CUSTOMER Satisfaction is the furthest thing from that companies mind. Initial SALES is what it's all about. There's one born every minute-the Dyson motto.
Scott3085

Reply #11   Nov 28, 2009 4:50 pm
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me some advice.  I did end up calling Dyson and they were great about referring me to a nearby service center to have my cleaner repaired.  I was told, depending on the problem, my repair could take anywhere from one week to over a month.  I found it quite interesting that the authorized repair center carried no actual Dyson products.  They strictly sold Miele and Sanitaire.  I think I plan on having my Dyson repaired and then I'm going to sell it.  I've been thinking about the central vac route but not sure I want to invest that much money.  Besides, my downstairs isn't that big and I think I'd go nuts with the hose.  So, given that I already own a Miele canister, and I'm going to be looking for an upright to handle strictly carpet duty.  I'll save that for another post.
CarmineD

Reply #12   Nov 29, 2009 7:02 am
Scott3085 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me some advice.  I did end up calling Dyson and they were great about referring me to a nearby service center to have my cleaner repaired.  I was told, depending on the problem, my repair could take anywhere from one week to over a month.  I found it quite interesting that the authorized repair center carried no actual Dyson products.  They strictly sold Miele and Sanitaire.  I think I plan on having my Dyson repaired and then I'm going to sell it.  I've been thinking about the central vac route but not sure I want to invest that much money.  Besides, my downstairs isn't that big and I think I'd go nuts with the hose.  So, given that I already own a Miele canister, and I'm going to be looking for an upright to handle strictly carpet duty.  I'll save that for another post.

Hello Scott,

Dyson authorized repair shops are few and far between, as I mentioned in my pprevious post to you.  Recently I was in Orange County California, Anaheim, to visit Disneyland for the 81 Birthday of Mickey.  I picked up the yellow pages and thumbed through the vacuum pages.  Not a dyson dealer, ad, vacuum reference to be found.  Surprised me... but such is life.  I suspect out of sheer necessity dyson has informal arrangements with independent vacuum store owners/operators, like the one referred by dyson to you, to assist in those remote [non-dyson] geographic locations.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #13   Nov 29, 2009 10:11 pm
Scott3085 wrote:

Scott the simple reason why they don't have repair centers that sell Dyson is that Dyson won't let Retailers make any money selling them. They undercut the dealers with huge discounts to BBS stores, honor coupons, have flooded the market with refurbs & Ebay and sell on TV all for less money than a dealer can. What is the incentive for a Dealer to put out money for inventory that won't return enough profit to justify it. There are many more vacuums from manufacturers that offer better returns and will let a Dealer make a living. Owning and taking a risk on a business is not an altruistic endeavor to worship Mr Dyson. Hell, if so, why doesn't Mr Dyson make HIS company a not for profit?. THE ONLY REASONS A DEALER HANDLES DYSON WARRANTEES are: They pay a little better than most MFGrs (but there are many dealers talking about slow re-embursement checks as of late) and the number 1 reason.... THEY GET CUSTOMERS INTO THEY STORE TO SELL THEM ANOTHER COMPANIES VACUUM!
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42