Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover/Dirt Devil/Vax

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Hoover/Dirt Devil/Vax
Original Message   Oct 26, 2009 9:30 am
TTI Bought Royal and then Hoover USA. Vax was acquired by Royal prior to that.

There seem to be similarities certain Bissell carpet cleaners share with these brands. Anyone know anything about this?

The D/D i vac seems to have disappeared from their website. It was Vax before that, Bosch before that, Siemens before that. Anyone know where the original design came from? The new D/D Gator vac looks similar to Shark/EuroPro, especially the power nozzle. 

Finally, from the first time I saw the Shark cordless power sweeper, I thought it would make one heck of a battery operated power nozzle! Instant upgrade for older canisters, and power sweeping under beds and couches for uprights.  The tray would catch the heavy objects.  Good idea, even if I did think of it.

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Hoover/Dirt Devil/Vax
Reply #12   Nov 13, 2009 12:56 pm
procare wrote:
  Before I leave this site for awhile there is also Miracle Mate and one other  that the name isn't remembered right now but I will get back to you on that.

Procare

Health Mor's Filter Queen.  Rainbow.  There are German and Italian brands of vacuums sold in the USA too that are not illustrated on the map.  Perhaps there are some footnotes that accompany the map that are omitted and not included. 

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #13   Nov 13, 2009 1:10 pm
Miracle mate is mfg in Canada, right? I think Airstorm has been dropped, leaving only Patriot from Schoettler. Superior Mfg produces Water Matic/Filter Magic (I think these differ only in the size of the bucket) plus the dry p/u only Trendvac. And don't forget Silver King, they still have a website up. Metropolitan. BK200, the last remnant of Airway  design.  Aerus/Lux  was assembled in El Paso, TX from parts made in Mexico. I heard rumors of the Bristol/Piney Flats complex being used again, but that does not mean they make the parts.  Kirby now assembles their units from parts made all over the world.  I don't know about Rainbow, Filter Queen and Oreck, how much of their units are actually made here in the US, and how much is outsourced.

I think the point Tacony is trying to make about the Simplicity/ Riccar lines is that they are all made in the US, even the motors. The injection molding is done at the plant. So the customer can spend anywhere from $200.00 to $1500.00 for a quality, all American-made vacuum cleaner that is truly MADE in the USA. The specialty expensive DTD brands comprise a very small segment of the total vacuum cleaner market.  I think the disposable vacuum trend, along with bagless vacuums, and expensive DTD are pushing the thinking consumer in the direction of central vacuum systems.  Just for fun I recently made two lists of vacuum manufacturers, one of consumer/domestic manufacturers/brand name portable vacuums, and one of central vacuums.  I came up with just over 50 in each list. I expect the number of available brands of portable vacuums will continue to decrease while the central vac makers stay the same or increase.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #14   Nov 13, 2009 2:35 pm
procare wrote:
Very Interesting map. Not included in U.S. -Tristar, Aerus/Lux, Fairfax, Air Storm, Rainbow,. All are made and sold in U.S.A. Makes me think they want people believe they are the only American cleaners beside KIrby,Oreck and themselves made here for people that buy American.

Procare

That could very well be.

DIB

DysonInventsBig

Reply #15   Nov 13, 2009 2:41 pm
Trebor wrote:
Interesting, DIB

Thanks for posting the map

Trebor

You're welcome.  Check this out...
DIB

Click for story  More here.  There is a small audio file (a speaker icon - mid page/above article) that accompanies the story.  If the page hangs up upon loading - hit refresh.
This message was modified Nov 13, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Scott

Reply #16   Nov 13, 2009 2:49 pm
Trebor wrote:
Miracle mate is mfg in Canada, right?

Yes, Miracle Mate is manufactured and headquartered in Richmond, BC. Though It is my understanding they had a branch plant located in Blaine, Washington to supply the US market.
This message was modified Nov 13, 2009 by Scott
Trebor

American made vacuums
Reply #17   Nov 13, 2009 4:36 pm
Kirbys are assembled in Cleveland, OH from parts made elsewhere. Look at a Sentria Box

Does anyone know for certain about Oreck? Do they use American made motors? Do their own injection molding?

This would be a very interesting topic to research.

Trebor
This message was modified Nov 13, 2009 by Trebor
procare

Reply #18   Nov 13, 2009 5:07 pm
                     Aerus / Lux machines are manufactured in Brstol. The Era Fresh upright is imported. 

Procare                                                                                                                                   

CarmineD

Re: American made vacuums
Reply #19   Nov 13, 2009 6:09 pm
Trebor wrote:
Kirbys are assembled in Cleveland, OH from parts made elsewhere. Look at a Sentria Box

Does anyone know for certain about Oreck? Do they use American made motors? Do their own injection molding?

This would be a very interesting topic to research.

Trebor

Hello Trebor:

The federal government thru its agencies like the Federal Trade Commission regulates/oversees the requirements for brands using the claim on their products:  MADE IN THE USA.  To make the claim, the majority of parts and labor have to be made/performed in the USA.  With ORECK vacuums, which are comprised of 30 plus individual components and/or parts, the overwhelming majority of the vacuum's parts, including the vacuum motors, are USA made.  Else, ORECK could not/would not be allowed to make the claim.  Yes, the companies have to provide proof for the claim that is subject to government review/oversight and if found lacking penalties including not using the claim.

Hope this info clarifies for you/others.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #20   Nov 13, 2009 9:25 pm
OH look at you Patriotic lot! Mind you I am slightly jealous - do wish we could have more U.S brands here in the U.K Im totally disappointed to read of another disaster - Chrysler are to stop putting badges on their cars and replaced with Lancia. What a way to go; : (
HARDSELL

Re: American made vacuums
Reply #21   Nov 14, 2009 8:23 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Trebor:

The federal government thru its agencies like the Federal Trade Commission regulates/oversees the requirements for brands using the claim on their products:  MADE IN THE USA.  To make the claim, the majority of parts and labor have to be made/performed in the USA.  With ORECK vacuums, which are comprised of 30 plus individual components and/or parts, the overwhelming majority of the vacuum's parts, including the vacuum motors, are USA made.  Else, ORECK could not/would not be allowed to make the claim.  Yes, the companies have to provide proof for the claim that is subject to government review/oversight and if found lacking penalties including not using the claim.

Hope this info clarifies for you/others.

Carmine D.

Any outsourced parts should also qualify as being MADE IN THE USA if they comprise a significant portion of the units cost. 

Exporting products out of the US can be costly if they fail to qualify as USA origin.  In addition to significant fines the exporter may have to forfeit the goods to the government of the country of destination.

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42