Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > dyson going bankrupt?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

dyson going bankrupt?
Original Message   Sep 21, 2009 1:34 pm
Hello dyson DIB:

I heard a rumor today and figure the only way to confirm it is to run it by you.  The grapevine is saying dyson is going bankrupt soon?  Any truth to it?

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Sep 21, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 15 - 24 of 48Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: dyson going bankrupt?
Reply #15   Oct 23, 2009 12:18 am
Trebor wrote:
Fantom benefited from the licensing of Dyson technology, but so did Dyson, with millions in royalties collected. Why did he do this? HE NEEDED THE MONEY!

I know James was a backyard inventor who created a company and a product with his name. Just because it is different doesn't automatically make it better, and just because it was better then doesn't make it better now because the competition continues to improve. A Model T and a Crown Victoria are both Ford cars, and have a lot of similarities, that does not mean they have the same performance levels and features.

The disposable bag technology has improved in three distinct ways 1) better filtration 2) much better performance as the bag fills, and 3) increased usable bag capacity. The Mieles of today are quieter and more powerful than their predecesors, many of which are still running well and cleaning after 20 years. How many Dysons, other than those in collections and museums, are still working after that long? The value for the money just isn't there with Dyson, as evidenced by the many of them in repair shops all over the US and Great Britain.

This message was modified Oct 23, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #16   Oct 23, 2009 7:39 am
Trebor wrote:
Fantom benefited from the licensing of Dyson technology, but so did Dyson, with millions in royalties collected. Why did he do this? HE NEEDED THE MONEY!

I know James was a backyard inventor who created a company and a product with his name. Just because it is different doesn't automatically make it better, and just because it was better then doesn't make it better now because the competition continues to improve. A Model T and a Crown Victoria are both Ford cars, and have a lot of similarities, that does not mean they have the same performance levels and features.

The disposable bag technology has improved in three distinct ways 1) better filtration 2) much better performance as the bag fills, and 3) increased usable bag capacity. The Mieles of today are quieter and more powerful than their predecesors, many of which are still running well and cleaning after 20 years. How many Dysons, other than those in collections and museums, are still working after that long? The value for the money just isn't there with Dyson, as evidenced by the many of them in repair shops all over the US and Great Britain.

Trebor:

Sir James is one of the luckiest business men in the industry that I know.  Success with 2 lawsuits provided him the "seed" money to grow his brand/products that their sales never did.  First, the royalties on another brand's sales allowed him to build the plant in Malmesbury.  By doing so, dyson expanded vacuum production to 30,000 units a month in the UK.  Then, the HOOVER money to move production to Malaysia and go global.  The plant in the UK was too small for global production.  He should have known that when he built it.  As the business gurus will tell you, making money is the easy part, especially in Sir James' case.  Sustaining it year over year is the hard part.

I wish him luck.  He going to need it.

Carmine D.

M00seUK

Reply #17   Oct 23, 2009 9:43 am
CarmineD wrote:
Trebor:

Sir James is one of the luckiest business men in the industry that I know.  Success with 2 lawsuits provided him the "seed" money to grow his brand/products that their sales never did.  First, the royalties on another brand's sales allowed him to build the plant in Malmesbury.  By doing so, dyson expanded vacuum production to 30,000 units a month in the UK.  Then, the HOOVER money to move production to Malaysia and go global.  The plant in the UK was too small for global production.  He should have known that when he built it.  As the business gurus will tell you, making money is the easy part, especially in Sir James' case.  Sustaining it year over year is the hard part.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine - an objective series of points there that I agree with 100%. Perhaps to add that Dyson was a touch naive in presuming that he'd be able to get planning permission to extend the UK production if needed. The irony being that if he'd simply set up production overseas from day 1, he'd have avoided being labelled as a some type of national traitor, by an often cynical British media. Still, you could argue that the desire to claw back some respect with innovative new products, help drives him further than it otherwise might have. Such is business life.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #18   Oct 23, 2009 12:34 pm
Trebor wrote:

CarmineD wrote:
Trebor:

Carmine D.

Carmine,

You’re in no position to lecture or condemn or comment of real-men and real-leaders and real-doers.  Is it a big risk owning a small mom and pop that most consumers would rather drive past and onto a non-pressure or non-bias retailer?  You twist and turn and I love it!  Anyone taking your business advice is certainly doomed or at least doomed to an uneventful life and low-pay.

Forty-two years in the business and nothing.  Greater society is waiting for great men and women to step forward....  Sorry for all your bad luck or was it the poor choice and fear of the unknown? - That is, stepping outside the lavishly comfortable and awe inspiring establishment you’ve painstaking whittled out?

In the big picture, 42 years of hunkering down is most unimpressive.

DIB
This message was modified Oct 23, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #19   Oct 23, 2009 1:02 pm
Dyson DIB:

Without answering my question, I got the answer.  The only thing you can run is your mouth.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #20   Oct 23, 2009 1:12 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
. . . . Is it a big risk owning a small mom and pop that most consumers would rather drive past and onto a non-pressure or non-bias retailer?  You twist and turn and I love it!  Anyone taking your business advice is certainly doomed or at least doom to an uneventful life and low-pay.<BR><BR>Forty-two years in the business and nothing.  Greater society is waiting for great men and women to step forward....  Sorry for all your bad luck or was it the poor choice and fear of the unknown? - That is, stepping outside the lavishly comfortable and awe inspiring establishment you’ve painstaking whittled out?<BR><BR>In the big picture, 42 years of hunkering down is most unimpressive.<BR><BR><BR>DIB

Oh! You've forgotten to state what you've done with the last 43 years of your life?

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #21   Oct 23, 2009 4:59 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Hi Carmine - an objective series of points there that I agree with 100%. Perhaps to add that Dyson was a touch naive in presuming that he'd be able to get planning permission to extend the UK production if needed. The irony being that if he'd simply set up production overseas from day 1, he'd have avoided being labelled as a some type of national traitor, by an often cynical British media. Still, you could argue that the desire to claw back some respect with innovative new products, help drives him further than it otherwise might have. Such is business life.

Hello M00seUK:

The Malmesbury plant, any UK location for that matter, provided considerably less costs for freight and distribution of dyson product to the UK markets, while it was still a home grown/sold brand. 

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #22   Oct 23, 2009 5:19 pm
Having been witness to the dismantling of Electrolux Corp USA, I can testify that outsourcing production never produces the savings in real life that it does on paper. First there is the language barrier, and almost certainly a time differential. Quality control issues become much more complicated to manage. But, the laid off workers' wages pay and benefits then are used to fund enormous unearned and undesrved bonuses to executives for lowering product quality and putting hard working people out of work. They don't even deal with the irate customers, because the customer call center is outsourced as well!  We have reached the place where we reward criminal behavior and punish the honest hard-working stiff.  If James had said "Look, I need to expand, or I am going to have to outsource, he would have won his expansion rights. But it was probably all smoke and mirrors anyway. He learned well from the US corporations he dealt with, and their attorneys. I am sure the bankruptcy is being precisely orchestrated for maximum profit for Sir James, no matter how profuse his crocodile tears.
This message was modified Oct 23, 2009 by Trebor
Trebor

Reply #23   Oct 24, 2009 9:25 am
To be fair to James Dyson (don't faint DIB) Those two lawsuits were justified. The first was filed against Amway because they had paid 25K front money to James to study the plans, decided they were not interested in manufacturing,  andthen introduced their own version, confident their pockets were deeper and they would bankrupt James. The second was filed against Hoover UK for their 'Triple Vortex' cyclonic. They claimed they were using an old concept for separating sand from oil (Right. Anyone want to buy a bridge?)

Despite a stipulation from the judge barring Hoover UK from seeking the removal of a temporary injunction delaying their entry into bagless cyclonic vaccums, Hoover did so anyway.  The subterfuge shown by these two corpoate behemoths was obvious and just verdicts were rendered, one in the US against Amway, and one in the UK against Hoover. Unfortunately, James appears to have developed a taste for suing as a means of profit.  The 90 pound weakling bulks up at the gym and turns into the town bully, alas. His cause was just, but justice can be corrupted.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #24   Oct 24, 2009 11:51 am
Trebor wrote:
To be fair to James Dyson (don't faint DIB) Those two lawsuits were justified. The first was filed against Amway because they had paid 25K front money to James to study the plans, decided they were not interested in manufacturing,  andthen introduced their own version, confident their pockets were deeper and they would bankrupt James. The second was filed against Hoover UK for their 'Triple Vortex' cyclonic. They claimed they were using an old concept for separating sand from oil (Right. Anyone want to buy a bridge?)

Despite a stipulation from the judge barring Hoover UK from seeking the removal of a temporary injunction delaying their entry into bagless cyclonic vaccums, Hoover did so anyway.  The subterfuge shown by these two corpoate behemoths was obvious and just verdicts were rendered, one in the US against Amway, and one in the UK against Hoover. Unfortunately, James appears to have developed a taste for suing as a means of profit.  The 90 pound weakling bulks up at the gym and turns into the town bully, alas. His cause was just, but justice can be corrupted.

Trebor,

It’s nice to see you're excepting demonstrable facts...  Dyson v. Amway, Dyson v. Hoover UK.  To your credit, the anti-Dyson types here would never admit or speak what you did/as you did.

Now the Dyson competitor comes out and demonstrable facts are nonexistent...  Can you demonstrate a single suit brought by Dyson demonstrating the Carmine foible?  That is, Dyson is lawsuit happy and a bully?

Recently Sir James sued Samsung over patent infringement and won.  How exactly did this $1-$1.5B Dyson bully the $9-$12b Samsung?

Carmine spouts and claims Dyson is lawsuit happy (never offering a bit of proof), then Venson got in line behind the Carmine foible, then Retardturtle got in line behind Venson and behind the Carmine foible. - And now you.  1 2 cha cha cha, 3 4 cha cha cha...  Come on everybody!... and do the the Carmine foible. 

DIB
This message was modified Oct 24, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 15 - 24 of 48Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42