Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "What has dyson invented now?"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtieV1

"What has dyson invented now?"
Original Message   Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm
I received this "teaser email today: http://links.mkt2388.com/ctt?kn=1&m=2735925&r=MTgwOTM1MTgzMTcS1&b=0&j=NzgxMTAyODMS1&mt=1&rt=0
Anyone know what's up with this??

-=Art=-
Replies: 117 - 126 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: "What has dyson invented now?"
Reply #117   Oct 20, 2009 11:05 am
An air purifier's job is just that -- purifying the air. A hair dryer's job is hair drying. That said, innovation is great BUT if expected to be mass marketable it still has to be affordable, easy to maintain and literally a no-brainer to be used by that motley crew, the public. I believe that practicality sells faster than "innovation".

Small appliances are best kept simple. Filtered air delivery is a nice idea but again potential disaster for appliances like table fans and hair dryers and bound tio cause more problems than they solve.

The actual advantage of the brushless motor as regards power output, power consumption and length of life has, to my knowledge, not been presented here. If brushless motors are effective, affordable to buy and economical to replace, bring 'em on I say. However, that so far has not proved to be the case. When I hear of new-fangled motors I also here of high price.

As well, it has not been clearly stated if these motors are replaceable or easily repairable. If one goes bad in an item I buy, do I take it to MOLE to be fixed or do I dump it? Will the manufacturer replace it? Though I am looking forward to a day when electric motor size is dramatically reduced while maintaining the power average, for most household applications presently in place we appear still better served with standard electric motors.

Vacmanuk, the bigger issue in the home environment is not carbon dust from appliances that we use in ten-minute spurts but ourselves. Stats still have it that we -- by way of the myriad skin cells, etc., (human detritus) that we shed each day -- are the greater producer of household dust.

I'm glad to learn that you mother has maintained and kept her hair dryer for eight years but how have the majority of her neighbors fared with theirs?

By the way guys, I have yet to see an Air Blade here in town. I have seen many new, very fast hand dryers installed in stores and businesses all over the place but have not made one sighting of the Air Blade.

Motorhead, my argument is just about the same here too. Good steering I worry about when I in drive my car. I have used many, many vacuum cleaners over my life and have seen no great difficulty in maneuvering any of them. I learned how to work with the machine I had at any given time.

A vacuum with "power steering" would probably be great for you or me but a disaster on the larger market. There's too much to go wrong, especially in the hands of careless users and those impatient persons who never read user guides. Unfortunately, it is generally accepted that all you need do is plug in your machine and go. To make a vacuum with an electrified steering system could be done I'm sure but to make an appliance that's impervious to it's greatest threat, being in the hands of humans, probably can never be executed in a cost-effective manner. These ideas are probably best left to the robot makers.

New ideas that are anticipated to be salable to the masses have to made for the tech-savvy AND the not so tech-savvy. They should also be priced in close enough budget range for those with challenged budgets to feel the items are something worth reaching for. New innovation priced for the few is not my idea of making good business. The idea of getting some of everybody's money is.

Best,

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Re: "What has dyson invented now?" (Now, now guys...)
Reply #118   Oct 20, 2009 1:16 pm

I don't think you're seeing jealousy so much as the stupidity of the new Dyson representative of the forum.  Tom did at least know what he was talking about with respect to the technology.  He might have gotten into a Rainbow like sales pitch at times, but he at least brought something interesting to the conversation.  I do enjoy the updates from Tom, and wish him well in his new job as vacuum cleaner museum curator.  Unfortunately the new Dyson rep is an idiot bore.  Please provide more updates. 

So was the cam used to push the nozzle into the carpet considered a success, or will it be dropped from future models?

Motorhead wrote:
Wow, quite a lot of jealousy here I see!  Once again, if the design of the Air Multiplier was so obvious, why didn't any of y'all think of it first? 

What an awesome fan that is, and watching Jack's (Model2) video demonstrations only makes me want one even more.  I heard about the Air Multiplier around 6 months ago from none other than Tom Gasko.  He was under the impression that it would be a bladeless ceiling fan, and from what I hear there's a ceiling fan in the works, but it now makes sense that Sir James would bring it out as a table fan to gauge the public reaction.  Not to mention giving time to iron out the quirks involved with adapting and producing a light kit for it as well.  And (aside from a select few posts on here and other similar sites...) it seems the public reaction to the AM as a whole has been favorable.  Either way, the AM ceiling fan should be a solution to a HUGE problem that has plagued us for decades...vibrating, dusty, wobbly ceiling fans that produce mostly choppy air, or do not seem to move any air at all on lower speeds.  Offering an optional built-in heater would be a good idea as well, for homes that are either without central heat or overly drafty.  Along with the "jet-engine" appearance, I predict that 40 years from now it will be looked at in the same way we look at "mod" fixtures from the 1960's today.  Sleek, cool, and a perfect combination of design and functionality.  May even add to the value of homes that have them installed!

While we're on the subject of new Dyson innovations, Tom suggested that there are more in the works where this came from.  Among them will be a juice extractor that can juice an entire orange without halving it or adding any of the bitter zest to the juice.  That's been a big complaint of mine for a long time regarding juicing oranges with an extractor and why I've always preferred to use a simple reamer-type citrus juicer.  There will also be a toaster that is completely sealed from the escaping moisture from toasting bread, and a dishwasher that converts hydrogen peroxide into a cleaning agent by means of an ionic charge plate. 

On the vacuum front, the self-propelled MotorDrive is in the process of being test-marketed here in the States.  Not entirely sure what the model will be, perhaps either DC29 or DC32, but I should find out more in the near future.  It is similar in appearance to the DC28 (except no cam actuator to adjust the brushbar), with four motors.  Two DDMs for the suction and brushbar, respectively, and two servo-motors for each rear wheel.  The brushbar will be driven off a simple gearbox, which puts to rest the myth of switched-reluctance motors not being able to produce any torque.  Are they as powerful as traditional carbon-brush universal motors at the moment, no, but they can obviously produce enough torque to drive a gearbox.  In that situation, at least with the DDM, speed is at an advantage, producing enough power off reduction gearing without sacrificing brushbar speed (and subsequently cleaning performance).  The self-propulsion system is what is most unique, addressing the problem of steering difficulty that has plagued Kirby, Hoover, etc.  When the handle is turned either to the left or right, it will engage the respective servo-motor providing effortless power steering.  It is the most responsive and innovative drive system to date, utilizing electronics similar to a joystick to control the drive rather than complex linkage.  Due to the self-propulsion electronics in the handle, this will also be the first Dyson upright not to have the wand in the handle for above-floor cleaning. 

Between Dyson, Tacony, and Miele, it's nice to know someone well-rounded in the industry to provide this great information.

Take care everyone,
MH

P.S. Carmine, I hear where you're going, there will be an amalgam of AM01s to provide air circulation, and DC07s for you, Mole, and David Oreck to clean the place with...what can I say, guess they have good taste in vacuums and fans down there too

Hey Motorhead,
Venson as Severus wants you to believe he’s friendly of Tom and friendly to Dyson.  Severus as Venson sits on his hands as his buddies here attack Tom often and with vigor.  His Dyson position typically is - Dyson inventions are no good, cost to much, can’t make money, don’t solve problems, he’s not buying a Dyson anything, so why bother (Dyson should close their doors).  Although he is a believer that the tired bagged vacuum, in the public domain commodity (vacs his buddies livelihood’s depend on) are exciting, fresh and radically differing amongst the umpteen manufacturers.  A brushroll, a suction generator, a collection sack/filter and mounted on 4 wheels...  I described just about every bagged vacuum cleaner on the planet and since the 1960’s.   *Are you laughing? - I am!

Venson as Severus,
The stupidity title is yours.  Since the forum opened all posters who click the quote link simply write their comments under the quoted text.  Why in the world would you post above the quote, which makes for quoting you and the thread organized.  Or is this a feeble attempt at making yourself appear not as Venson?  Are you laughing? - I am!

DIB

*I support American mfg big time, if they have integrity, if they employee Americans at a fare wage - regardless of inventiveness.

This message was modified Oct 20, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #119   Oct 20, 2009 2:28 pm
DIB:

More of your usual dyson idiosy and lunacy.  Can't you/dyson accept constructive realisitc criticism of dyson's product foibles, fantasies, and fallacies without blaming and condemning the truthsayers, vacuum indies, non-dyson buying consumers, vacuum industry, and vacuum competition? 

Here's a novel mature approach for you.  Take responsibility.  Be accountable.  Own up to all dyson's product limitations and shortcomings.  Perhaps, dare I say, even address them honestly, quickly and professionally.  This business like and intelligent approach would actually increase dyson's sales rather than lessen them.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #120   Oct 20, 2009 2:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

More of your usual dyson idiosy and lunacy.  Can't you/dyson accept constructive realisitc criticism of dyson's product foibles, fantasies, and fallacies without blaming and condemning the truthsayers, vacuum indies, non-dyson buying consumers, vacuum industry, and vacuum competition? 

Here's a novel mature approach for you.  Take responsibility.  Be accountable.  Own up to all dyson's product limitations and shortcomings.  Perhaps, dare I say, even address them honestly, quickly and professionally.  This business like and intelligent approach would actually increase dyson's sales rather than lessen them.

Carmine D.

The reason I have so much success in life and much “fruit” in my life is because I refuse to listen to the corrupt words of men.  Since you're of religious status, I understand the many why’s to your many failures.

The Book says to put off the corruptible and put on the incorruptible.  I do not get the religious; I see nothing remotely fun or fulfilling about it?

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #121   Oct 20, 2009 3:18 pm
DIB:

You proclaim the Book but do so out of context.  There is a huge difference between a leap of faith and a leap of foolishness.  The Book tells us to beware of false prophets and the unleavened bread of the Pharisees. 

Even the Divine Master enjoyed the fellowship of the table with scribes, tax collectors, and whores.  Recall the 12 he chose as the Apostles, bearer of the good news, were weak men prone to sin, greed, lust, lack of faith, lack of hope, and lack of love and mostly definitely cowardice.  One even betrayed Him for money.  All whilst they professed to Him otherwise.  Fortunately they received the gift of the Holy Spirit.  But like all God's graces one must be open to receive it.

They're are none so blind as they who will not see. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 20, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #122   Oct 20, 2009 4:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

You proclaim the Book but do so out of context.  There is a huge difference between a leap of faith and a leap of foolishness.  The Book tells us to beware of false prophets and the unleavened bread of the Pharisees. 

Even the Divine Master enjoyed the fellowship of the table with scribes, tax collectors, and whores.  Recall the 12 he chose as the Apostles, bearer of the good news, were weak men prone to sin, greed, lust, lack of faith, lack of hope, and lack of love and mostly definitely cowardice.  One even betrayed Him for money.  All whilst they professed to Him otherwise.  Fortunately they received the gift of the Holy Spirit.  But like all God's graces one must be open to receive it.

They're are none so blind as they who will not see. 

Carmine D.

Is there a scripture that supports what you do?  Feel free to post chapter, verse and in context, anything that supports the many ways you 1) attack Dyson or 2) hurt the Susan G. Komen Foundation by using the pink Dyson as your personal Dyson-envy platform.

Use the Holy and not Catholic Bible please (I'm not Catholic).

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #123   Oct 20, 2009 5:08 pm
DIB:

10 Commandments and the Beatitudes. 

With a purchase of a dyson DC07 pink I contributed $45 to the Susan G. Komen foundation.  Never returned the unusable dyson in part so not to renege on the contribution.  I told you that before here several times.  Pay attention.

Use any version you of the Bible that you like, they are all knock offs of the Catholic Bible.   Recall it was St. Jerome, the crouchy Saint, who compiled the first Bible, a Catholic version, in the 4/5 th Century, if memory serves me correctly.  BTW, I read the King James [no pun intended] version in college.  Good, but I still prefer the Catholic.  How about you?  

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #124   Oct 20, 2009 5:13 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Hey Motorhead,
Venson as Severus wants you to believe he’s friendly of Tom and friendly to Dyson.  Severus as Venson sits on his hands as his buddies here attack Tom often and with vigor.  His Dyson position typically is - Dyson inventions are no good, cost to much, can’t make money, don’t solve problems, he’s not buying a Dyson anything, so why bother (Dyson should close their doors).  Although he is a believer that the tired bagged vacuum, in the public domain commodity (vacs his buddies livelihood’s depend on) are exciting, fresh and radically differing amongst the umpteen manufacturers.  A brushroll, a suction generator, a collection sack/filter and mounted on 4 wheels...  I described just about every bagged vacuum cleaner on the planet and since the 1960’s.   *Are you laughing? - I am!

Venson as Severus,
The stupidity title is yours.  Since the forum opened all posters who click the quote link simply write their comments under the quoted text.  Why in the world would you post above the quote, which makes for quoting you and the thread organized.  Or is this a feeble attempt at making yourself appear not as Venson?  Are you laughing? - I am!

DIB

*I support American mfg big time, if they have integrity, if they employee Americans at a fare wage - regardless of inventiveness.

DBI,

I always did appreciate Tom's well informed opinions.  that doesn't mean I always agreed with him.  He's could certainly be stubborn at times, and I don't think it's ethical to buy a new vacuum at Walmart, abuse it and take it back for a refund.   He bought UK Dysons and had 220V switches installed in his home to run them.  So he certainly had experience with the vacuums he discussed.    His experience selling Rainbows is I think what caused his perception of reality to be skewed slightly.   But he at least had some common sense - you have none.   I could accept Tom's message, because you could find some substance under the Dyson rose tinted glasses and hyperbole.  Your contribution is about the size of a dust mite's waste product.. 

Unlike you, he did successfully run a vacuum cleaner store.  He did consulting work on the design of the Airway anniversary canister vacuum.    He had a huge vacuum collection, and he was a nationally recognized for his knowledge of vacuums.  You DBI, are no Tom Gasko.  You read an article on the internet, and suddenly you think you are some kind of expert.  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #125   Oct 20, 2009 5:27 pm
Severus wrote:

I always did appreciate Tom's well informed opinions.  that doesn't mean I always agreed with him.  He's could certainly be stubborn at times, and I don't think it's ethical to buy a new vacuum at Walmart, abuse it and take it back for a refund.   He bought UK Dysons and had 220V switches installed in his home to run them.  So he certainly had experience with the vacuums he discussed.    His experience selling Rainbows is I think what caused his perception of reality to be skewed slightly.   But he at least had some common sense - you have none.   I could accept Tom's message, because you could find some substance under the Dyson rose tinted glasses and hyperbole.  Your contribution is about the size of a dust mite's waste product.. 

Unlike you, he did successfully run a vacuum cleaner store.  He did consulting work on the design of the Airway anniversary canister vacuum.    He had a huge vacuum collection, and he was a nationally recognized for his knowledge of vacuums.  You DBI, are no Tom Gasko.  You read an article on the internet, and suddenly you think you are some kind of expert.  

SEVERUS, you may recall that Tom boasted about a Kirby salesman who unknowingly plugged his demo vacuum into the 220 electrical outlet, while Tom looked on silently.  It "fried the Kirby motor" to quote Tom's exact words.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #126   Oct 20, 2009 6:52 pm
Darn it DIB, why won't you please share some of that stuff you're on? It's so selfish to fire up the pipe and not pass it around! A toot or two of whatever it is that's got you flying might do us all some good too.

Speaking for myself, Tom Gasko is someone I also have high respect for. When it gets down to vacuums, he knows his stuff. He's the only vacuum person I know who can quote a Rexair's place in time just by way of a serial number

In general the cloth of this forum is composed of persons who sell and repair vacuums or have had long involvement in taking note of their history and progression developmentally OR have used them at least long enough to tell one end from the other.

I don't always agree with Tom or MOLE or Carmine or Procare or Mike W. or Dusty or any number of members in this forum but I see no particular reason for prolonged debate on most issues. Why? Because we have had real talks about real vacuums for a number of years at this forum and others before it. I have the greatest trust that their opinions are solidly founded on their experience and knowledge -- not just whimsical fancy.

Venson as Venson
Replies: 117 - 126 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42