Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "What has dyson invented now?"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtieV1

"What has dyson invented now?"
Original Message   Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm
I received this "teaser email today: http://links.mkt2388.com/ctt?kn=1&m=2735925&r=MTgwOTM1MTgzMTcS1&b=0&j=NzgxMTAyODMS1&mt=1&rt=0
Anyone know what's up with this??

-=Art=-
Replies: 106 - 115 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mole

Re: "What has dyson invented now?"
Reply #106   Oct 19, 2009 1:44 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Of course the next benefit that Dyson could take on is a hair dryer. On the basis that most hair dryers have no filters on the back (granted some do) to clean the back fan of dust, the air blade could be used for that, as well as heat producing fans...

The next new thing will be the bigger,stronger, supersized ball barrow, there are plenty hanging around not being used,lets see the smart engineers can change the color, maybe use a carbon fibre tub mount a multiplex c d player on the handle. attach the new cordless fan i mean airmultiplier, for keeping the user from overheating, And use the cordless hand vac for the smaller particles that the shovel misses,although you have to get them all in under 6 minuets.

STOP SIR JIMMY JUST STOP., Is goldman handleing the sale to tti...............

regards

MOLE
M00seUK

Reply #107   Oct 19, 2009 2:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Really.  No filters in "most" hand held hair driers.  On what do you base your conclusion?   

Carmine D.

A removable mesh 'pre-motor' filter is standard on most hair driers these days. At least the hair drier in our house has such a feature.
Venson

Reply #108   Oct 19, 2009 2:30 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Of course the next benefit that Dyson could take on is a hair dryer. On the basis that most hair dryers have no filters on the back (granted some do) to clean the back fan of dust, the air blade could be used for that, as well as heat producing fans...

Not a practical move since hair dryers need all the air they can get especially due to the fact that at least in the U.S. the their big selling point is high-wattage. Also they are devices that people want to use and forget till they are needed again and thus should be kept simple. If you're not accustomed to a maintenance regimen for your comb or brush you're not going to give a moment's thought to a hair dryer. Hair dryers also easily qualify as disposable appliances.

Most that I've seen have metal mesh screens or grills to keep hair and coarse material from being drawn into the area where the fan and heating element are. If patterns are the same as with vacuum owners, users will probably not bother much with the upkeep of a hair dryer with filters for even finer particles. Fine particle filters left uncleaned will quickly lead to decreased air flow thus causing the hair dryer to overheat, catch fire and/or cause the user injury possibly leading to lawsuits. It is not worth a manufacturer's time to "over invent".

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #109   Oct 19, 2009 2:35 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Vacmanuk’s idea is genius (if it can be done).  Sir James could be the manufacturer/distributor or he could license it (in a variety of ways).  It’s genius!

DIB

DysonInventsBig

Re: "What has dyson invented now?" (Now, now guys...)
Reply #110   Oct 19, 2009 2:37 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Wow, quite a lot of jealousy here I see!  Once again, if the design of the Air Multiplier was so obvious, why didn't any of y'all think of it first? 

What an awesome fan that is, and watching Jack's (Model2) video demonstrations only makes me want one even more.  I heard about the Air Multiplier around 6 months ago from none other than Tom Gasko.  He was under the impression that it would be a bladeless ceiling fan, and from what I hear there's a ceiling fan in the works, but it now makes sense that Sir James would bring it out as a table fan to gauge the public reaction.  Not to mention giving time to iron out the quirks involved with adapting and producing a light kit for it as well.  And (aside from a select few posts on here and other similar sites...) it seems the public reaction to the AM as a whole has been favorable.  Either way, the AM ceiling fan should be a solution to a HUGE problem that has plagued us for decades...vibrating, dusty, wobbly ceiling fans that produce mostly choppy air, or do not seem to move any air at all on lower speeds.  Offering an optional built-in heater would be a good idea as well, for homes that are either without central heat or overly drafty.  Along with the "jet-engine" appearance, I predict that 40 years from now it will be looked at in the same way we look at "mod" fixtures from the 1960's today.  Sleek, cool, and a perfect combination of design and functionality.  May even add to the value of homes that have them installed!

While we're on the subject of new Dyson innovations, Tom suggested that there are more in the works where this came from.  Among them will be a juice extractor that can juice an entire orange without halving it or adding any of the bitter zest to the juice.  That's been a big complaint of mine for a long time regarding juicing oranges with an extractor and why I've always preferred to use a simple reamer-type citrus juicer.  There will also be a toaster that is completely sealed from the escaping moisture from toasting bread, and a dishwasher that converts hydrogen peroxide into a cleaning agent by means of an ionic charge plate. 

On the vacuum front, the self-propelled MotorDrive is in the process of being test-marketed here in the States.  Not entirely sure what the model will be, perhaps either DC29 or DC32, but I should find out more in the near future.  It is similar in appearance to the DC28 (except no cam actuator to adjust the brushbar), with four motors.  Two DDMs for the suction and brushbar, respectively, and two servo-motors for each rear wheel.  The brushbar will be driven off a simple gearbox, which puts to rest the myth of switched-reluctance motors not being able to produce any torque.  Are they as powerful as traditional carbon-brush universal motors at the moment, no, but they can obviously produce enough torque to drive a gearbox.  In that situation, at least with the DDM, speed is at an advantage, producing enough power off reduction gearing without sacrificing brushbar speed (and subsequently cleaning performance).  The self-propulsion system is what is most unique, addressing the problem of steering difficulty that has plagued Kirby, Hoover, etc.  When the handle is turned either to the left or right, it will engage the respective servo-motor providing effortless power steering.  It is the most responsive and innovative drive system to date, utilizing electronics similar to a joystick to control the drive rather than complex linkage.  Due to the self-propulsion electronics in the handle, this will also be the first Dyson upright not to have the wand in the handle for above-floor cleaning. 

Between Dyson, Tacony, and Miele, it's nice to know someone well-rounded in the industry to provide this great information.

Take care everyone,
MH

P.S. Carmine, I hear where you're going, there will be an amalgam of AM01s to provide air circulation, and DC07s for you, Mole, and David Oreck to clean the place with...what can I say, guess they have good taste in vacuums and fans down there too

Thank you Motorhead, the inside scoop is the good stuff!!!  There's some very interesting stuff there for sure.  Share more/elaborate more when you can.

DIB

M00seUK

Reply #111   Oct 19, 2009 2:50 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Vacmanuk’s idea is genius (if it can be done).  Sir James could be the manufacturer/distributor or he could license it (in a variety of ways).  It’s genius!

DIB

I'd imagine that, like with hand driers, that the heating element will most often fail before the fan motor. The same is likely true with a hair drier and heat is important in the task of drying hair. Can you make a case for the health risks of carbon deposits from traditional motors in hair driers? If so, a brush-less motor could be a consideration for people who use hair driers each day, i.e. hair stylists.
CarmineD

Reply #112   Oct 19, 2009 5:01 pm
M00seUK wrote:
I'd imagine that, like with hand driers, that the heating element will most often fail before the fan motor. The same is likely true with a hair drier and heat is important in the task of drying hair. Can you make a case for the health risks of carbon deposits from traditional motors in hair driers? If so, a brush-less motor could be a consideration for people who use hair driers each day, i.e. hair stylists.

Probable but highly impractical for a dyson product venue.  Why?  Dyson's MO is to reinvent existing technology and add a huge premium: i.e.: ball barrows; contrarotating washers; hand driers; hand held vacuums; fans.  You and others opine that hand held hair driers are a new frontier ripe for the dyson picking.  I disagree.  Why?  My question is: If and when it ever comes to be, at what price will it be?  As with all the other dyson products mentioned, they are so overpriced as to make them obsolete for sale to the general public [even professional hair stylists which is a niche market]:  Air Blade, Air Multiplier, Contrarotating washer, etc.  As Venson and others point out, disposable household products marked up to the sky's the limit price are very consumer unfriendly.  Works maybe for household vacuums, which retail for $200-$300.  Not fans and hand and hair driers.

But that never stops Sir James.  If a $80 hand held gets a dyson price of $270, and an Air Blade hand drier gets a dyson price of $1400, and a 10 inch $10 fan gets a dyson price of $330, what on God's green earth would a hand held hair drier list for?  $400-$500.  Perhaps, especially due to the higher wattage of these products.  Of course, I might be mistaken.  It may be even more.  One thing is sure based on dyson's past product pricing, it won't be less than $400.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 19, 2009 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #113   Oct 19, 2009 5:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Probable but highly impractical for a dyson product venue.  Why?  Dyson's MO is to reinvent existing technology and add a huge premium: i.e.: ball barrows; contrarotating washers; hand driers; hand held vacuums; fans.  You and others opine that hand held hair driers are a new frontier ripe for the dyson picking.  I disagree.  Why?  My question is: If and when it ever comes to be, at what price will it be?  As with all the other dyson products mentioned, they are so overpriced as to make them obsolete for sale to the general public [even professional hair stylists which is a niche market]:  Air Blade, Air Multiplier, Contrarotating washer, etc.  As Venson and others point out, disposable household products marked up to the sky's the limit price are very consumer unfriendly.  Works maybe for household vacuums, which retail for $200-$300.  Not fans and hand and hair driers.

But that never stops Sir James.  If a $80 hand held gets a dyson price of $270, and an Air Blade hand drier gets a dyson price of $1400, and a 10 inch $10 fan gets a dyson price of $330, what on God's green earth would a hand held hair drier list for?  $400-$500.  Perhaps, especially due to the higher wattage of these products.  Of course, I might be mistaken.  It may be even more.  One thing is sure based on dyson's past product pricing, it won't be less than $400.

Carmine D.

If you take a closer look at what I've written I'm actually sceptical if a hair drier would benefit from brush-less motor. I'm of the conclusion that if the heating element isn't improved on, then it appears a little pointless to have motor which offer the benefit of a greater MTBF. Maybe they could, like with the Dyson handheld, make the casing a bit smaller and if at all possible, reduce the noise... maybe it could in theory work in professional haircare... it sounds unlikely, although I would have thought the same at the prospect of a £200 Dyson fan at one point...
vacmanuk

Reply #114   Oct 19, 2009 6:45 pm
Carmine, as M00seUK points out, there are certain hair dryers on the market that have pre-filter doors on the back so that owners can clean off the blades. My mother has one dating from 2001, a Revlon Jetstream 2000.

However I'm not referring to high hot air being directed or the power behind it, but rather on a health benefitting exercise. If current hair dryers are putting around dust accumulated on the back fans and being directed outwards, wouldn't it make sense to have a brushless motor idea such as the Air Blade to minimise particles from entering the user's lungs? I've already emailed my suggestion to Dyson UK last week, guys and I don't think it is THAT crazy an idea. We are already living in a world where so many manufacturers are producing machines with HEPA filters - Oreck springs to mind with their air purifier for one - Im speculating though and assuming that the Air Blade doesn't whirr back dust like standard fans do. You only need to look at the amount of dust that standard table fans accumulate through use.
CarmineD

Reply #115   Oct 19, 2009 7:37 pm
Guys:

The professional grade dyson hand held hair drier would be a "possible" seller for the hair industry IF dyson replaced the product free if it failed during a 5-10 year period for any reason.  The product replacement period depends on the initial purchase price.  $400-$500 and dyson would have to give a 5 year free product replacement upon failure.  More pricey and a longer product replacement period is needed.

Obviously this would be strictly a niche product and market.  Targeting professionals in the hair industry.  These folks typically have yearly conferences and training programs which are an ideal venue for Sir James to hawk his product IF it ever materializes. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 19, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 106 - 115 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42