Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
JIBBERS

A winner?
Original Message   Oct 7, 2009 7:08 am
http://www.vaxmachair.co.uk/
Replies: 3 - 12 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
JIBBERS

Re: A winner?
Reply #3   Oct 7, 2009 11:02 am
A friend sent me to the above website after I said I was looking to buy a Dyson DC24.  The Mach Air looks, on paper, to be a better offering in terms of weight (less), size (more), capacity (more), suction power (more) and guarantee (more).  But as it is so new I don't know whether to risk it as there are no reviews out there yet. 

Any thoughts?

Venson

Reply #4   Oct 7, 2009 11:38 am
JIBBERS wrote:
A friend sent me to the above website after I said I was looking to buy a Dyson DC24.  The Mach Air looks, on paper, to be a better offering in terms of weight (less), size (more), capacity (more), suction power (more) and guarantee (more).  But as it is so new I don't know whether to risk it as there are no reviews out there yet.  </p><p>Any thoughts?

Hi Jibber,

The most practical and common sense approach would be to wait for votes to be cast unless your present vacuum has just breathed it last and you have to make an immediate decision on a new machine. I would not suggest buying this machine without at least a chance to look it over. Even the most promising looking machines may prove to be less than we expect once in use.

Also, price is a big issue. If it were just a hundred dollar item or less and it appeared serviceable after a few quick kicks of the tires as it were I might not think much of picking one up if I felt I just had to have it. A hundred bucks isn't chicken feed but you feel less bothered if you make a wrong buy. However, this machine costs three times that and even me who'll buy anything twice would have to stop and think for a minute.

Personally, I am curious to see just how sturdy this vacuum turns out to be six-year warranty or no. The vacuum cleaner I like best is the one with the long warranty you never had to use.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #5   Oct 7, 2009 12:04 pm
Also no mention of cord length/winder. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #6   Oct 7, 2009 1:13 pm
Hi Carmine,

Cord length is six meters on this model (19.69 feet). Nothing to rave about.

Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #7   Oct 7, 2009 5:24 pm
Mmm some interesting details/facts/claims there. Apologies for not standing up with Vax's latest claims though. Looking at Vax's own "facts" dont seem to weigh up much. For example:

"...Dust-free filters ensure suction is never compromised for quicker, more efficient cleaning.."

Yet on the third page of the manual (link kindly provided by Venson) it categorically shows two filters that need washing. I thought this model has dust free filters so why is there a need to remove and wash? 1.5 litres dust capacity - the capacity of a conventional upright? I don't think so! Less of the bagged uprights out there that are twice if not more on bag capacity, for bagless comparisons, Dirt Devil's tiny little Dynammite has a 2.3 litre capacity. Who is kidding who, Vax?!

Give it time Jibbers, there will most probably be a Hoover U.S version or a Dirt Devil version. Clearly Vax are out to topple Dyson's baby upright but I've a strong feeling knowing Vax products like I do that it will be a lot noisier than Dyson and not as well thought out.
CarmineD

Reply #8   Oct 7, 2009 5:32 pm
Of note is that VAX doesn't dictate a wash schedule save depends on use.  If I read correctly, the pre-motor is washable with a 24 hour dry time, but the post HEPA is not.  And no false claims like "lifetime."

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #9   Oct 7, 2009 5:33 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Cord length is six meters on this model (19.69 feet). Nothing to rave about.

Venson

Thanks Venson.  Most lightweights skimp on cord length.  At less than 20 feet, perfect candidate for a winder.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #10   Oct 8, 2009 8:47 am
JIBBERS wrote:
A friend sent me to the above website after I said I was looking to buy a Dyson DC24.  The Mach Air looks, on paper, to be a better offering in terms of weight (less), size (more), capacity (more), suction power (more) and guarantee (more).  But as it is so new I don't know whether to risk it as there are no reviews out there yet. 

Any thoughts?

Hello JIBBERS:

Short of an in home free no obligation trial [read ORECK] and not knowing the strengths and weaknesses of either [DC24 and/or VAX lightweight] you are left with one and only one viable option.  Find a retailer that sells both and inquire which is better.  Even then, we are all different in our likes and dislikes.  Money permitting buy both from the retailer with the understanding that you will keep the one you like best [if in fact you do] and return the one that you don't.  In the present hard times, I suspect the retailer will agree just to make a sale AND learn why you prefer one over the other.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #11   Oct 8, 2009 9:11 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello JIBBERS:

Short of an in home free no obligation trial [read ORECK] and not knowing the strengths and weaknesses of either [DC24 and/or VAX lightweight] you are left with one and only one viable option.  Find a retailer that sells both and inquire which is better.  Even then, we are all different in our likes and dislikes.  Money permitting buy both from the retailer with the understanding that you will keep the one you like best [if in fact you do] and return the one that you don't.  In the present hard times, I suspect the retailer will agree just to make a sale AND learn why you prefer one over the other.

Carmine D.

Contrary to what some will have you believe Oreck is not the only store to allow 30 day free trial.  The DC24 is available in Best Buy and Sears stores.
CarmineD

Reply #12   Oct 8, 2009 1:36 pm
HS:

ORECK is the only vacuum manufacturer, save Garry Vacuum, which allows a 30 day free return with no obligations if not completely satisfied.  Garry, if I'm correct, is only 14 days, down from the original 30 day return time period.  I know ORECK is stuck in your craw.  My advice to you is to get over it and move on.   ORECK isn't made for everyone. 

The VAX lightweight upright, in case you missed the obvious which is obvious, is not yet available in the USA.  Just the UK at least for the current time.  You recommend that GIBBERS make a trip, either in person and/or via the internet, to 2 USA retailers to buy a VAX vacuum not yet available?  Or are you recommending an untried and untested DC24 outright without any match off by GIBBERS of the two brands.  BTW, GIBBERS already said that at least on paper VAX bests a DC24 in all the relevant categories.   And is leaning toward it as a purchase.  Apparently his friend who emailed him the UK VAX site believes this to be the case too.  Of course, to know these facts and details you would have actually had to read and compare the specs for both models and read the pots on this thread.  We already know your limited reading comprehension abilities based on your post.   Or as I said, ORECK is so stuck in your craw that it interferes with your ability to see and read.

Carmine D.

Replies: 3 - 12 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42