Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > On-line User Reviews

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
CarmineD

On-line User Reviews
Original Message   Oct 1, 2009 7:24 pm
According to the experts who research and follow such matters, 80 percent of on-line buyers read on-line user reviews.  The Federal Trade Commission [FTC] will issue new guidelines for on-line posters/reviewers.  FTC warns that many of the user reviews are company employees and paid advertisers who post as personal users.  Always positive reviews, of course.  Surprise surprise!  Paid users and persons with a vested interest [read employees] will have to disclose their relationship with the company and its products.  Fines for infractions can be hefty.  As much as $300,000 and more for first time offenders.  Ouch! 

FTC advises that shoppers and buyers use more than on-line reviews to research the products [read industry experts]. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 12 - 21 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: On-line User Reviews
Reply #12   Oct 3, 2009 6:01 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
ID say online reviews are very helpful....but this forum and the people in it are actually the real deal.  Hundredes of years of knowledge...just a question away.......will weed out the hype and send you in the right direction. Knowledge based beyond that of the average ....collector/groupie/manufacturer.....cant get any better than the people who work/worked on them...thousands and thousands of them..and love doing it ....no how no way youll ever get that at a bbx store or review site....

A review site used also with this forum.....and a good vac shop is a winner...youll come out ahead of the rest because youve bought the best from the best.

turtle1

Hi 'turtle1'

I'd say like the 12volt bulb for HOOVER celebrities and other vacuum brands, you got it right again! 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #13   Oct 3, 2009 6:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi 'turtle1'

I'd say like the 12volt bulb for HOOVER celebrities and other vacuum brands, you got it right again! 

Carmine D.

I found the 12 volt info and gave you the info.  So much for the pro.
procare

Reply #14   Oct 3, 2009 8:00 pm
The online review is good if the people are honest. I also like to find out people's opinions and talk  to the consumer. When I go knocking on doors I hear the same line. They say"If you're selling Kirby keep on walking." They let me talk to them when I say I don't.   A lot of Kirbys are sold but the people tell they bought to get them out of the house after 4-5 hours in their house.  I can't say a reviewer should say 100% that there are no issues on their purchase as on any survey. You want the manufacturer to have a new plateau to reach. The key thing I see in door to door sales is the way sales people are taught to communicate. The guidelines given usually are changed by the salesmen when he is no longer being trained and feels he knows better how to sell than the company.  Training Discs and tapes don't tell you to push, push,push, but to answer the questions asked and answer them by showing what your equipment is capable of doing. That is the way to sell. Prove to the consumer it will fit their needs and if it doesn't thank them for their time and go on. Nothing on the market is 100% made for everybody and to do everything. That goes for anyone that is a Dyson fan that thinks it will do anything for everyone.

Procare

This message was modified Oct 3, 2009 by procare
CarmineD

Reply #15   Oct 3, 2009 9:53 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I found the 12 volt info and gave you the info.  So much for the pro.

On this one HS you're right.  When I saw the reference to the HOOVER concepts, it all clicked and came back to me.  My memory is not what it was.  I thanked you then for the bulb link you posted but you only get an honorable mention.  All the kudos go to 'turtle1' who made the point initially and posted the 12 v bulb applications in current brands and models.  

We learn valuable life lessons with age and experience.  One is that we are never too old to learn.  Another is that the smarter we become the more we realize that we don't know everything [and/or our memory forgets what we once knew].  This is true even for the pros, especially the retired pros.  It's nice to know that the new generation of vacuum industry experts, like 'turtle1', are ready, able, and willing to take over.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #16   Oct 3, 2009 10:04 pm
procare wrote:
The online review is good if the people are honest. I also like to find out people's opinions and talk  to the consumer. When I go knocking on doors I hear the same line. They say"If you're selling Kirby keep on walking." They let me talk to them when I say I don't.   A lot of Kirbys are sold but the people tell they bought to get them out of the house after 4-5 hours in their house.  I can't say a reviewer should say 100% that there are no issues on their purchase as on any survey. You want the manufacturer to have a new plateau to reach. The key thing I see in door to door sales is the way sales people are taught to communicate. The guidelines given usually are changed by the salesmen when he is no longer being trained and feels he knows better how to sell than the company.  Training Discs and tapes don't tell you to push, push,push, but to answer the questions asked and answer them by showing what your equipment is capable of doing. That is the way to sell. Prove to the consumer it will fit their needs and if it doesn't thank them for their time and go on. Nothing on the market is 100% made for everybody and to do everything. That goes for anyone that is a Dyson fan that thinks it will do anything for everyone.

Procare

Hello Procare:

I blame dyson for this.  It demeaned and impugned bagged brands to make itself appear superior and thereby charge exorbitant prices for lackluster products.  The strategy back fired.  Bagged sales are overtaking bagless sales at all price points in the vacuum industry increasing year over year.  By dug its own grave.  It can't produce and market bagged brands to make up the sales shortfall.  Unless it tries to pull a Starbucks.  And dyson is no Starbucks.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #17   Oct 4, 2009 5:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Procare:

I blame dyson for this.  It demeaned and impugned bagged brands to make itself appear superior and thereby charge exorbitant prices for lackluster products.  The strategy back fired.  Bagged sales are overtaking bagless sales at all price points in the vacuum industry increasing year over year.  By dug its own grave.  It can't produce and market bagged brands to make up the sales shortfall.  Unless it tries to pull a Starbucks.  And dyson is no Starbucks.

Carmine D.

HI CARMINE/PROCARE

You can only stick it to the people for so long.....eventually it comes back around. [CARMA] ....no matter what.  At one time dyson vacs were everywhere....now you hardly see  them at any of the stores around here....except BIG LOTS....who i believe has the largest display of unsold dysons around town.

I try to make it a point to ask the customer bringing in a vac /buying an item.....what they like/dislke about what they have......no matter what the brand...just to learn more and get numerous views and what they would change. A long term use point of view.  Many like what they have..and thats all that matters,,i just want to know why.

Ive heard good/bad stories of door to door sales.....it really takes a special kind of person for that job...very special.

Our new 1yr old Starbucks just shut down yesterday......gonna miss my large coffee w/ 2 espresso shots...sad day in hollywood.

turtle1

CarmineD

Reply #18   Oct 4, 2009 6:48 pm
Hi 'turtle1'

SB built its business on the real deal, brewed coffee.  It's entered the instant coffee market with Vie.  Why?  For the same reason that your favorite 1 year old SB store bit the dust.  SB is looking for new markets to bolster sales and revenues.  Here too, SB stores are closing.  Expanded too quickly and too costly.  Like dyson.

Dyson can't jump into the bagged vacuum market.  Not after bad mouthing bags.  Can't expand into the indies.  Burned those bridges years ago.   Dumb dyson moves.  Limited its venue to strictly bagless and the big box rip off stores, period.   That limited its customer base which also limited its sales market and its revenues.  Read niche vacuum and niche market.  You never want to limit your possibilities in business.  You want to keep all your options open always.   You never know what's ahead in the future. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 4, 2009 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #19   Oct 4, 2009 9:24 pm
You want to see MY Oreck review, Carmine?

About 5000 or so consumers who are not Epinions members have seen it:

http://www.epinions.com/review/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Vacuum_Cleaners-Oreck_XL2200_Vacuum/content_347381730948
HARDSELL

Reply #20   Oct 4, 2009 9:54 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

http://www.epinions.com/review/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Vacuum_Cleaners-Oreck_XL2200_Vacuum/content_347381730948

I noticed you called Oreck an electric sweeper.  Is that similar to my calling it an electric broom?

Do you think Oreck is good for deeper pile carpet and deep cleaning them?

CarmineD

Reply #21   Oct 5, 2009 7:12 am
vacmanuk wrote:

I didn't ask YOU specifically because you've posted here about ORECK before and I read them already. 

ORECK is the lightweight icon of the industry.  Not as good as SIMPLICITY/RICCAR but as good if not better than the HOOVER Platinum lightweight bagged.  That's my view.  For you and others to read it.  Same same I've always said and posted.

Carmine D.

Replies: 12 - 21 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42