Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Looking for a tile floor steam cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
rjg2

Looking for a tile floor steam cleaner
Original Message   Feb 24, 2008 9:57 am
Hello all,

I know this is a vac forum but does anyone recommend a good floor steamer?  I once borrowed a Eureka 300A upright steamer and enjoyed using it.  Thanks for the help!
Replies: 15 - 24 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Simonette

Re: Looking for a tile floor steam cleaner
Reply #15   Sep 19, 2009 4:46 am
Has anyone used the Oreck Steam-It on tile floors? I am unable to find any reviews. I have the Hoover Floormate. 90% of my home is dark grey tile. Unless I immediately dry the floor with towels, they are streaked. Help!
CarmineD

Reply #16   Sep 19, 2009 7:07 am
Hello Simonette:

I have 70 percent Mohawk ceramic tile floors and use the HOOVER Floormate for cleaning and drying.  Works very well.  I'm in the market for the ORECK Steam-It but not for the ceramic floors.  Steam heat is not recommended on these floors.  The HOOVER FM, without the liquid cleaning solutions, is.  I have found that the HOOVER FM leaves my floors almost completely dry after using the dirty water pick up mode.  And a good thing.  I have a lab that likes to help with the job and walks over the floor as soon as I clean an area.   The lab and the 3 grand daughters are the main reasons for the FM.  So far so good.  Over 3 years of use with the HOOVER FM and still going strong.  One difference is that I use an ORECK XL upright to completely vacuum the tile floors before using the FM.  I found using the dry vacuum mode of the FM is not as good as the ORECK.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #17   Sep 19, 2009 2:38 pm
Simonette wrote:
Has anyone used the Oreck Steam-It on tile floors? I am unable to find any reviews. I have the Hoover Floormate. 90% of my home is dark grey tile. Unless I immediately dry the floor with towels, they are streaked. Help!

Hi Simonette,

A good steam cleaner should do a fine job on tile. Floors with well-sealed grout should be easy to care for. Vacuum thoroughly before cleaning (fill and allow your steam cleaner to heat while your sweeping). Ceramic tile wiht properly sealed grout is generally tough but use your device's brush or only a non-metallic scouring pad or very mild cleanser to get up hard to rout scuff marks.

Please note a good steam cleaner only produces steam when triggered and its steam rate is adjustable.

Following is a link to Oreck's user guide page. Look for and click on "Steamer 100":

http://www.oreck.com/customer-service/owners-guides.cfm#

Venson
Venson

Reply #18   Sep 19, 2009 2:54 pm
Hi again Simonette,

Here is a URL for a PDF of the less expensive Bissell Steam Mop's user guide. Click on the link at teh right side of the page:

http://www.bissell.com/Products/c/bare+floor+solutions/p/1867-7/product.aspx

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #19   Sep 19, 2009 3:09 pm
Hello Venson, Simonette:

Before moving into our new home, my son-in-law was gracious enough to seal the ceramic tile flooring [we were out-of state].  It's a one time occurence.  Unlike the granite counters which require sealing yearly with a liquid especially for the purpose.

Converstions with the contractor who installed the Mohawk floor advised against steam and cleaning solvents, recommending instead just likewarm tap water.  I've followed his advice and so far so good.  Tho, I note that some homeowners have had somee issues with cracks developing in the grout and tile. 

Question: Do you think the floor contractor was being overly cautious with his advice and my ceramic tile floor? 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #20   Sep 19, 2009 3:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
. . . Question: Do you think the floor contractor was being overly cautious with his advice and my ceramic tile floor?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Definitely yes, as I have a strong feeling the contractor spends more time building than cleaning. As well, though long in use in Europe, steam cleaners and the way they work are not well-known here despite the sudden burst of advertising. The following URL is for ceramic tile dos and don'ts and no caveats for steam cleaners are offered.

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/ceramic-tile/care/dosanddonts.aspx

The next is part also about tile care but note that there is mention of semi-annual treatment of grout:

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/ceramic-tile/care/default.aspx

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #21   Sep 19, 2009 5:33 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Definitely yes, as I have a strong feeling the contractor spends more time building than cleaning. As well, though long in use in Europe, steam cleaners and the way they work are not well-known here despite the sudden burst of advertising. The following URL is for ceramic tile dos and don'ts and no caveats for steam cleaners are offered.

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/ceramic-tile/care/dosanddonts.aspx

The next is part also about tile care but note that there is mention of semi-annual treatment of grout:

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/ceramic-tile/care/default.aspx

Venson

Thanks Venson.  Looks like I have some additional work to do every 6 months not to mention my new steam cleaner, whatever it ends up to be, is going to get more than the workout I thought.  Who said retirement is the life of Riley?

Carmine D.

Simonette

Reply #22   Sep 20, 2009 6:15 am
Thank you, Carmine and Venson. I appreciate the great information. It appears I have more work to do!
Simonette

Reply #23   Sep 20, 2009 7:03 am
Sorry, it's me...again. Most of the steam cleaners I have researched have the watts indicated in the specs. The Oreck gives water pressure PSI. Is one more important than the other?
Venson

Reply #24   Sep 20, 2009 12:09 pm
Simonette wrote:
Sorry, it's me...again. Most of the steam cleaners I have researched have the watts indicated in the specs. The Oreck gives water pressure PSI. Is one more important than the other?

PSI has to do with steam output. Wattage ratings concern electrical draw. A steam cleaner with high output may do better at really grungy work but as well may be overkill if all you need it for is regular duty on floors.

The numbers game should be about how long the machine takes to heat the water it holds, how much water for steaming it will contain, how long it will produce steam and warranty time.

Venson
Replies: 15 - 24 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42