Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Move over DC31.. BLACK & DECKER Dustbuster Flexi

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Move over DC31.. BLACK & DECKER Dustbuster Flexi
Original Message   Sep 11, 2009 6:17 pm
Replies: 73 - 82 of 92Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Move over DC31.. BLACK & DECKER Dustbuster Flexi
Reply #73   Sep 20, 2009 5:07 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
...this would compinsate for its ok power level and address the biggest issue .....run time.  this option would by far take a chunk out of the comp and perhaps put it on top....

turtle1

Dear, dear turtle1,

There's nothing to fret about here. B&D, well-known AND reasonably priced, is already on top. Trust me. How many people do you know that are either willing or prepared to run out and drop approximately 200 bucks on a rechargeable hand-held?

Practicality in price and use is what wins the day here? I'd love to own a Mercedes but if what I can afford happens to be a Chevy, which one am I buying? You know there are only so many of us now crying over our great misfortune that we could only take one trip instead of our usual three to Europe this year.

Ten years ago we were living in a world where splurging now and then somehow could be worked into the budget. Credit possibilities were great. Speaking of the present, for the larger part of us those possibilities are no more.

In even more practical terms, rechargeable vacs still do not produce any where near the results of a regular vacuum costing less than double their price does. They are merely luxuries and please remember that term -- "luxury". Even those who like these new little trinkets can learn to live without them until money is freed up. The real reality now is all about who and how many you have to meet up with and with how much come the first of the month. No makers wondrous claims win out when when the landlord's knocking.

B&D has nothing to fear from Dyson.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #74   Sep 21, 2009 7:05 am
The sales appeal of the B&D Flex, beside the name reocognition and low price, is its versatility and mass marketing.  It will do well despite the bad economic times.

I think it was Lucky1 who made the observation that indies have to adjust and adapt to the changing economic times/hardships to survive.  Same is true of floorcare makers and their product prices.  You can't place a $250 price tag on a 5-10 minute heldheld in hardtimes and expect customers to run to the stores and buy them up.  Ain't gonna happen.

Carmine D. 

retardturtle1

Reply #75   Sep 22, 2009 12:08 pm
Venson wrote:
Dear, dear turtle1,

There's nothing to fret about here. B&D, well-known AND reasonably priced, is already on top. Trust me. How many people do you know that are either willing or prepared to run out and drop approximately 200 bucks on a rechargeable hand-held?

Practicality in price and use is what wins the day here? I'd love to own a Mercedes but if what I can afford happens to be a Chevy, which one am I buying? You know there are only so many of us now crying over our great misfortune that we could only take one trip instead of our usual three to Europe this year.

Ten years ago we were living in a world where splurging now and then somehow could be worked into the budget. Credit possibilities were great. Speaking of the present, for the larger part of us those possibilities are no more.

In even more practical terms, rechargeable vacs still do not produce any where near the results of a regular vacuum costing less than double their price does. They are merely luxuries and please remember that term -- "luxury". Even those who like these new little trinkets can learn to live without them until money is freed up. The real reality now is all about who and how many you have to meet up with and with how much come the first of the month. No makers wondrous claims win out when when the landlord's knocking.

B&D has nothing to fear from Dyson.

Venson

HI VENSON

I see your point...and very well made at that. ....so true.

turtle1

CarmineD

Reply #76   Sep 22, 2009 4:37 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI VENSON

I see your point...and very well made at that. ....so true.

turtle1

Hello Venson, 'turtle1:"

The economics of the market place dictate the prices of the products, whether dyson likes it or not.  This is especially true [as you pointed out Venson] in the current economic downturn.  Dyson chose the big box rip off stores as the primary sales venue for dyson products.  Then proceeded year after year to increase its prices of the latest dyson vacuums brought to market.  In a downward spiraling economy?  Globally!  A formula for product sales disaster [even if the products were worth the price and there is considerable proven evidence they are not]. 

Look at the facts:  In 2002, dyson's flagship upright model DC07 All Floors had an MSRP of $439 and quickly dropped to $399 with many retailers offering 10-15-20 off.  The market set the prices at  $321-$360.  Still high for big box rip off stores but consumers were spending freely with a euphoria of perceived wealth from easy credit card buying with delayed and interest free payments, stock value appreciations and skyrocketing home appreciation values. 

Fast forward to 2009.  World of difference.  Record breaking house foreclosures, record high unemployment rates, ever tightening credit, and a severe stock market slump.  Dyson's latest and greatest DC28 is priced at $600, the next lower model is a DC27 [a regurgitated DC17] is $479.  Even with 10-15-20 percent off, these models range from a lo end of $360 to a hi end of $480.  Much too high for the buyers in the market place [big box retail stores] to bear in the current economic conditions that began in the fall of 2007 and continued worsening up thru and including the foreseeable future.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #77   Sep 22, 2009 7:49 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson, 'turtle1:"

The economics of the market place dictate the prices of the products, whether dyson likes it or not.  This is especially true [as you pointed out Venson] in the current economic downturn.  Dyson chose the big box rip off stores as the primary sales venue for dyson products.  Then proceeded year after year to increase its prices of the latest dyson vacuums brought to market.  In a downward spiraling economy?  Globally!  A formula for product sales disaster [even if the products were worth the price and there is considerable proven evidence they are not]. 

Look at the facts:  In 2002, dyson's flagship upright model DC07 All Floors had an MSRP of $439 and quickly dropped to $399 with many retailers offering 10-15-20 off.  The market set the prices at  $321-$360.  Still high for big box rip off stores but consumers were spending freely with a euphoria of perceived wealth from easy credit card buying with delayed and interest free payments, stock value appreciations and skyrocketing home appreciation values. 

Fast forward to 2009.  World of difference.  Record breaking house foreclosures, record high unemployment rates, ever tightening credit, and a severe stock market slump.  Dyson's latest and greatest DC28 is priced at $600, the next lower model is a DC27 [a regurgitated DC17] is $479.  Even with 10-15-20 percent off, these models range from a lo end of $360 to a hi end of $480.  Much too high for the buyers in the market place [big box retail stores] to bear in the current economic conditions that began in the fall of 2007 and continued worsening up thru and including the foreseeable future.

Carmine D.

Those rip off big box stores thrive on Flip floppers like you.   FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP.

CarmineD

Reply #78   Sep 22, 2009 8:36 pm
Hello HS:

Flip, flap, flip, flap, flip, flap.   Your lips are moving but you aren't saying anything to dispute the facts of my post.  Own up for once here and admit that dyson did itself in with bad judgment and poor timing.

To make the connection of my last post to the thread topic, dyson made the same missteps with its handhelds as its uprights.  In 2006, dyson introduced a  DC16 handheld for $150-$200.  At the time, the highest price for a handheld on the market.  It is by all measures a failed product totally unworthy of its price.  Even at $80 it is unworthy.  At least dyson hit the market at the right time despite the poor product performance. 

Fast forward to the present and the worse time for bringing an expensive handheld to market.  What does dyson do?  Launch a $220-$270 handheld.  Dyson just doesn't get it!  The same failed past practices get the same bad results.   

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #79   Sep 22, 2009 10:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS:

Flip, flap, flip, flap, flip, flap.   Your lips are moving but you aren't saying anything to dispute the facts of my post.  Own up for once here and admit that dyson did itself in with bad judgment and poor timing.

To make the connection of my last post to the thread topic, dyson made the same missteps with its handhelds as its uprights.  In 2006, dyson introduced a  DC16 handheld for $150-$200.  At the time, the highest price for a handheld on the market.  It is by all measures a failed product totally unworthy of its price.  Even at $80 it is unworthy.  At least dyson hit the market at the right time despite the poor product performance. 

Fast forward to the present and the worse time for bringing an expensive handheld to market.  What does dyson do?  Launch a $220-$270 handheld.  Dyson just doesn't get it!  The same failed past practices get the same bad results.   

Carmine D.

My topic was you and not Dyson.  You flip around telling all about the great sales at big box stores.  Then you flop around and call the big box stores rip offs.

Fish flip flop when removed from water.  You have smelled fiushy for a long time.

CarmineD

Reply #80   Sep 23, 2009 7:02 am
Hello HS:

You're jealous of me here because I know and appreciate all the facets of the vacuum industry: Indys and big box rip off stores.  And I have reliable knowlegeable connections in both venues.  Like you and your lawn mower shop only me with vacuums rather than lawn mowers. 

BTW, thank you for making me the subject of your posts here rather than the vacuum products and retailers who sell them.  I'm honored to be so important. 

Now, do you have anything else to say about my post and dyson's ill fated product/marketing strategy at the big box rip off stores?  Or just more of your lips going flip flap flip flap.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #81   Sep 23, 2009 7:20 am
HARDSELL wrote:
My topic was you and not Dyson.  You flip around telling all about the great sales at big box stores.  Then you flop around and call the big box stores rip offs.

Fish flip flop when removed from water.  You have smelled fiushy for a long time.

HS:

You smell your fave vacuum brand going down the toilet.  Like DIB look before you flush!

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #82   Sep 24, 2009 4:43 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk, Venson et al.<p>The airwatts and charge times are just part of the features for comparison of the B&amp;D Flex [$65-$80] and dyson's handhelds [$150-$270].  The key to comparison of these products are the uses that they will serve for their owners.  In that respect they are product rivals and rightly so.  </p><p>Having said that, perhaps there is more appreciation for the issues that Consumer Reports faces in rating and ranking handhelds objectively for consumer review and research.</p><p>Carmine D.

Actually Carmine I don't recall mentioning anything about a real comparison. All I said was that in reflection to what Dyson's hand held offers the B&D is lower powered. I'd still consider it over the Dyson in terms of it's general design. Infact in terms of Dyson's pricing consumers in the last three years have bought nothing else but the Dyson hand held certainly here in the UK and it has nothing to do with brand preference; many UK buyers felt let down when Dyson shifted manufacture to Asia leaving the UK out in the cold. Sadly even though it may well be expensive; buyers will get what they think is the best, regardless of the price.
Replies: 73 - 82 of 92Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42