Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > What makes the vacuum cleaner inustry so important?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
procare

What makes the vacuum cleaner inustry so important?
Original Message   Sep 4, 2009 1:20 pm
Since I have been coming to this site I have seen bickering about Dyson, Hoover and a few other brands. But to me it is why is this industry important and why all the different brands and models. My feeling is that they are necessary to maintain a way of life. Cleanliness, health, and just plain keeping everything nice. We started with dirt floors, went to rock and wood floors. Floors were kept up with brooms for hundreds of years. With the advent of electricity the vacuum cleaner came along  with elecrtic motors.

Just so you know , I am aware of the types of early sweepers from the late 1800's.

So the question I put to you is why is it so important to be a bagless society of Dyson? Why Bagged? Why a particular brand over another? Give me and anyone that comes to this site some answers as to why and how is one better than another?

I am watching and listening.                                                                  Procare           54 years in the business and still going strong.

Replies: 68 - 77 of 149Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: What makes the vacuum cleaner inustry so important?
Reply #68   Sep 8, 2009 6:09 pm
This message was modified Sep 8, 2009 by HARDSELL
HARDSELL

Reply #69   Sep 8, 2009 6:09 pm
HARDSELL

Reply #70   Sep 8, 2009 6:09 pm
HARDSELL

Reply #71   Sep 8, 2009 7:09 pm
Carmine,

You had 3 blank responses (edited out)when I posted.  They disappeared and my post logged in numerous times.  I think a bug other than you has entered my computer.

HARDSELL

Reply #72   Sep 8, 2009 7:14 pm
CarmineD wrote:
And to think that Carmine has been critical of Dyson customer service knowledge.  Per HS

Well, if being told to return to the store for a refund because dyson can't work on my carpets, is critical, then you're right.  I was merely telling the facts and circumstances of the telephone call.  You imputed I was being critical. 

Carmine D.

PS:

HS, Did you ever think that perhaps that is the reason, at least in part, for the huge number of refurbs.  Dyson HELP LINE telling dyson owners to return their purchases to the retailers for refunds because the dysons won't work on their carpets?  Or do you think the buyers determine that on their own once they have the vacuums in their home and use?  Hint:  The answer is all the above.  

I was waiting for that one Carmine.

The last thing Hoover told me was to return the vacuum to the store if it did not perform to my satisfaction.

HARDSELL

Reply #73   Sep 8, 2009 9:19 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Like I said HS, if you want two vacuums for the price of one and have medium to high carpets, and want a large bagged lightweight vacuum and want to buy from a big box retailer:  HOOVER bagged platinum is the brand/model.  Wal*Mart has on sale for $299.  But you better buy quick, the price is sure to rise once word of the CR ratings spead.

Assuming all the same facts above but you have low to medium pile carpet, ORECK is the brand. 

If you want to shop at an Indy and all the above facts the same, then SIMPLICITY/RICCAR is the brand.  I rate these a tad better than ORECK and head and shoulders over the HOOVER bagged Platinum.

It's really up to you.  Since you don't like ORECK, and HOOVER is stuck in your craw, I'd recommend an Indy. 

Carmine D.

The Hoover rep said that the vacuum may be difficult to push on thicker carpets but the self adjusting feature would eventually adjust to make vacuuming easier.  I asked how it adjusted since it has 4 wheels.  She said something to the effect that it just senses and adjusts.  Adjusts what, the brush roll?  I said It sounds like a thermos bottle knowing when to keep contents hot or cold.  My grandfather used to keep iced tean and chili in his thermos.

I have medium pile carpet, laminate and tile.  The Oreck groomed the carpet beautifully but failed to remove deep dirt.  I actually liked most everything else about the Oreck. Except the $800 price tag.

I used the Platinum in Sears.  It glided over the carpeted area in the vac area (like on a wood floor)  but seemed to drag some on a short knap rug by the display.  The regular carpeted area was very short almost like indoor/outdoor glue down.

CarmineD

Reply #74   Sep 9, 2009 6:32 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I was waiting for that one Carmine.

The last thing Hoover told me was to return the vacuum to the store if it did not perform to my satisfaction.

And HS the reason for returns and refurbs.  Let me say this for you again [for the 30th time].  HOOVER blew it when they kow towed to the big box retailers in the late 60's at the expense of the Indie's.  Dyson made the same identical exact mistake. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #75   Sep 9, 2009 6:49 am
HARDSELL wrote:
The Hoover rep said that the vacuum may be difficult to push on thicker carpets but the self adjusting feature would eventually adjust to make vacuuming easier.  I asked how it adjusted since it has 4 wheels.  She said something to the effect that it just senses and adjusts.  Adjusts what, the brush roll?  I said It sounds like a thermos bottle knowing when to keep contents hot or cold.  My grandfather used to keep iced tean and chili in his thermos.

I have medium pile carpet, laminate and tile.  The Oreck groomed the carpet beautifully but failed to remove deep dirt.  I actually liked most everything else about the Oreck. Except the $800 price tag.

I used the Platinum in Sears.  It glided over the carpeted area in the vac area (like on a wood floor)  but seemed to drag some on a short knap rug by the display.  The regular carpeted area was very short almost like indoor/outdoor glue down.

Your mistake HS is going with the $ 732 ORECK.  Here I go for the umteenth time telling you this yet again.  You don't need a $700 plus ORECK, FEW VACUUM BUYERS DO!  It doesn't serve your needs any more at that price.  You're overpaying, a tendency you ofetn have, ref; your BEST BUY extended warranty.

I paid $150 plus tax for an ORECK XL Classic in April 2007.  Free shipping.  And bought 3 more since and gifted.  All 4 for less than $732 and buku money left over.  Now I have an ORECK offer good thru Sept 21 for a Silver Series for $199 with free shipping and year's worth of bags.  ORECK offers new buyers this deal several times a year.   Your mistake [buyer's error] not ORECK's that you fell for it.  That's why they give you the freebies.  If a buyer makes a mistake and doesn't want the $700 ORECK they return free and keep the goodies.  What the H-E-double hockey sticks are you complaining about?  ORECK rewards customers for being idiots and not knowing what they want and for how much they want to spend.

Now, deep down dirt.  Again, ORECK's are made to use daily.  If you do so, you don't have deep down dirt.  Takes surface dirt 5 days to embed deep down.  If you're using your ORECK more often than every 5 days you're fine.  Again, for the zillionth time I'm saying this for your benefit.  Diff is I don't give freebies save advice.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #76   Sep 9, 2009 6:53 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine,

You had 3 blank responses (edited out)when I posted.  They disappeared and my post logged in numerous times.  I think a bug other than you has entered my computer.

Yes, you!  If there are too many connections on the thread, the post time is slow.  If you keep hitting the post button, the system queues up all the posts and adds them all on the page. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #77   Sep 9, 2009 7:25 am
CarmineD wrote:
Your mistake HS is going with the $ 732 ORECK.  Here I go for the umteenth time telling you this yet again.  You don't need a $700 plus ORECK, FEW VACUUM BUYERS DO!  It doesn't serve your needs any more at that price.  You're overpaying, a tendency you ofetn have, ref; your BEST BUY extended warranty.

I paid $150 plus tax for an ORECK XL Classic in April 2007.  Free shipping.  And bought 3 more since and gifted.  All 4 for less than $732 and buku money left over.  Now I have an ORECK offer good thru Sept 21 for a Silver Series for $199 with free shipping and year's worth of bags.  ORECK offers new buyers this deal several times a year.   Your mistake [buyer's error] not ORECK's that you fell for it.  That's why they give you the freebies.  If a buyer makes a mistake and doesn't want the $700 ORECK they return free and keep the goodies.  What the H-E-double hockey sticks are you complaining about?  ORECK rewards customers for being idiots and not knowing what they want and for how much they want to spend.

Now, deep down dirt.  Again, ORECK's are made to use daily.  If you do so, you don't have deep down dirt.  Takes surface dirt 5 days to embed deep down.  If you're using your ORECK more often than every 5 days you're fine.  Again, for the zillionth time I'm saying this for your benefit.  Diff is I don't give freebies save advice.

Carmine D.

Carmine, regardless of you ego you do not know what most others need.  In your opinion who re teh few that need a $700 vac.

I have benefited from extended warranties and $19 is a cheap insurance policy.  YMMV, however again you can't speak for all.
Your $150 Oreck is not recommended for non carpeted floors.  If you keep the vacuum the gifts are not free.  If you take the special pricing you do not get the canister. Of course you can get it for $150 pushing the price back to $300 or more.  Seems to me that the idiots are the ones who owned products from a failed company then in desperation grabbed an overrated product without question.

I vacuum every 4 3/4 days yet the Oreck left a lot of dirt in the carpet.  IF your 5 day theory is correct then I have been right all along.  The world does not revolve around you and products have to fit the user needs.  Not yours.

Use your advice sparingly.  Are you forgetting that past anti Dyson advice already made you look like a monkey?

Replies: 68 - 77 of 149Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42