Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Boycott British products (i.e. Dyson)?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Boycott British products (i.e. Dyson)?
Original Message   Aug 24, 2009 11:58 am
There is talk of a boycott of British goods over the questionable release of the Lockerbie bomber Megrahi.   Since Dysons are at least designed in Britain, I wonder if it will have any effect on them.   Dyson might want to increase the size of the "made in Malaysia" stickers on their vacuums.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2603158/Americans-call-for-boycott-over-Lockerbie-bomber-Megrahi.html

Personally, I don't believe in punishing an entire nation for the stupidity of their government officials.  We've certainly had our share of stupid politicians in the US. 

*** Note that I am not implying that Dyson should be boycotted.  I am only saying that a call to boycott British goods could have an effect on Dyson sales in the US.     **

This message was modified Aug 24, 2009 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 34 - 43 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Boycott British products (i.e. Dyson)?
Reply #34   Aug 30, 2009 12:40 pm
It's always strange how we are prepared to overlook things that others do that may not be our idea of correct or perfect as long as we can get something we want out of the deal. However, when they cease to "put out" or properly flatter us, we suddenly consider them the lowest of low.

To me the real issue is that American business and consumers are still not saying no to buying cheap and selling high no matter what the cost. Consumers are still buying without standards save for wanting the best bang for their dollar -- wherever the product comes from. AND no one's looking to share the wealth. Just like the boss who won't give you a raise but is always free-handed when it comes to an advance on your pay or a loan, we are more interested in their indebtedness to us and their advancement.

If indeed wealth is built on the backs of the poor -- and probably maintained by keeping the poor as poor as possible -- then if indeed Malaysians and Asians in general dislike us, I think they've every right to. The rest of the world isn't stupid you know. The folks who get paid dribs and drabs for making product later sold for hundreds, even thousands of American dollars are probably well aware of it and have every right to be resentful.

That said, we have long invested in tantalizing nations with opportunities to lay hands on American dollars and then found ourselves walking around later with dropped jaws when we learn that there really are some things money just won't buy.

Despite all the propagandizing I've been inundated by over the years, the one thing I fortunately had opportunity is that when you cross a border two things exist -- government and the people living under its domain. Nonetheless, the two may well not necessarily be aligned.

What I have learned is that no matter whether you're in New York or Moscow, Munich or Beograd, Istanbul or Tehran, ever-day citizens basically want the same things. Work that provides not great wealth but alleviates fear of lack in regard to the health and welfare of their families. Government lends to a secure sense that they may work, live by their own faith, impart their sense of right to their children and have peace.

We've long made a big thing out of shows of charity -- the delivery of aid and armies all over the world. Sadly, I have yet to hear much about our public insisting on pay hikes for those who daily spend many hours but receive little in profit for making of goods we easily spend big money on and we have no such intentions in mind.

Yet, it's always "them" that are found at fault. There are and have been no long discussions here as to our own culpability. No one makes much remark as to how we love technology so much that we won't insist on not buying American-made TVs, appliances and electronics or holding out until at least a significant part of the market here is composed of American-made goods.

Americans just like Malays and others seemingly not synched-up with our so-called Christian way of life are equally ready to believe that the source of our troubles always stems from somewhere else. We accept its direction from wherever the finger of government is pointing.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #35   Aug 30, 2009 3:29 pm
Well said Venson:

People, Americans too, follow the letter of the law but forget the spirit of the law.  It is true that if we follow the letter of the law for its external reasons, we are not always living in the spirit of the law.  BUT if we follow/live the spirit of the law we are automatically living the letter of the law, even if we don't actually know it. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #36   Aug 30, 2009 3:40 pm
Two lovely sayings/parables come to mind from the Bible, Venson.  When you give alms, don't let your right hand know what you left is giving.  And of course the workers in the vineyard.  The master of the vineyard goes out to the town at the beginning, middle and end of the day to get workers for the grape harvest.  At the end of the day he asks his chief steward to pay the last a full day's wage.  And so to do the same for those who came at the middle and then the beginning of the day.  The workers who started at the beginning of the day are grumbling!  They expected more.  The master of the vineyard corrects them and says who are you to tell me how to disburse my money?  I gave you a full day's wage, why are you upset?  Because those that came later got the same!  Yes, of course.  But that is not their concern/money to say how it should be given.  It's the master. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #37   Sep 4, 2009 6:49 am
For those who are following the news developments, there is an ongoing war of words between Scottish officials and the Prime Minister Gordon Brown of England.  Each blaming the other for the release of the lockerbie bomber al-Megrahi.  The more news releases the UK issues, the more questions and doubts arise about the real reasons for the release.

Now the real looming threat:  London is the site of the 2012 Olympics.  3 years away.  But time is not the UK's side.  Just the opposite.  Any business deals consummated between the UK and Libya for oil/gas will impugn all the stories released by official UK sources.  Several EU countries not to mention the US and President Obama are irate at the bomber's release.  Will they remember the controversial bomber's release in 2012?  It's already being called a "second Lockerbie outrage."  When Colonel Guadhafi goes on television and thanks his 'friend' Gordon Brown, the Queen of England, and her son Prince Andrew it feels like spitting on Winston Churchill and the heroes of the Battle of Britain.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #38   Sep 9, 2009 8:50 am
The latest: Scotland's justice minister who released al-Megrahi, Lockerbie bomber, has a brother who has worked for firms that sought oil business/contracts with Libya. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #39   Sep 9, 2009 9:16 am
CarmineD wrote:
The latest: Scotland's justice minister who released al-Megrahi, Lockerbie bomber, has a brother who has worked for firms that sought oil business/contracts with Libya. 

Carmine D.

Interesting.  But if we used your guidelines...  this is not vacuum related.  You’re a walking-talking contradiction.  You flipped out when the Dyson fanless invention patent was posted but your non-vacuum news is perfectly okay?  The tired vacuum and industry has little news and I thought it quite humorous you declaring Dyson’s non-vacuum inventions (paid for by vacuum sales, and perhaps invented by vacuum “design-engineers”) unfit to be posted here.

DIB

P.S.  Again, I did find your post interesting and this news could effects/could effect all of us, yet hypocritical by way of your guidelines. 
This message was modified Sep 9, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #40   Sep 9, 2009 9:19 am
I didn't start the thread DIB and don't force others to read and post on it.  But while its here and free to post on, I will.  Read it or not.  It's your call not mine. 

This is a story that won't go away.  And in 3 years may result in the boycott of the Olympics in London.  Maybe not?  Are you planning to go!  I'm not.  And have attended other Olympics in other countries.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #41   Sep 9, 2009 9:38 am
CarmineD wrote:
I didn't start the thread DIB and don't force others to read and post on it.  But while its here and free to post on, I will.  Read it or not.  It's your call not mine. 
Your previous comments in red shows how much BS you spew. If you have not interest in non vac related topics keep quiet.

This is a story that won't go away.  And in 3 years may result in the boycott of the Olympics in London.  Maybe not?  Are you planning to go!  I'm not.  And have attended other Olympics in other countries.

Carmine D.

CarmineD wrote:
Hello M00seUK:

Until the product is sold and I see that it relates to vacuums/floorcare, I for one have no interest in knowing.  Until then, dyson's plans/intentions are all speculation to titilate his fans here free of charge.   

Carmine D

CarmineD

Reply #42   Sep 9, 2009 12:47 pm
HS:

Since you don't get it let me spell it out for you s-l-o-w-l-y. 

T H E R E   A R E   S O M E T H I N G S   M O R E  

I MP O R T A N T  T H A N  V A C U U M S   A N D 

A  LO  S P E E D  O N  S O M E  O R E C K' S.  

T H I S  I S  O N E.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 9, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #43   Sep 26, 2009 9:10 am
For an update on this thread subject [albeit not related to vacuums, YET] here's the latest.  Warning: Don't read if you choose, it's your decision.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125384761259439997.html

As long as Gadhafi and al-Megrahi are alive this will not go away.

Carmine D.

Replies: 34 - 43 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42