Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help with Canister Vacuum buying choice.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
JeffA

Help with Canister Vacuum buying choice.
Original Message   Jul 14, 2009 8:33 pm
Hello,

I've been reading here for awhile, but this is my first post.  As the subject states, I'm looking for a new vaccum and I would appreciate any sugestions. 

Lets start with the specifics.

Pets - 1 Dog (Great Dane that does shed), and 3 cats.

Floors - House is mostly lamanate flooring with a few large will area rugs and runners.  Carpeting in a couple bedrooms but I'm planning on pulling that and putting in lamanate with rugs.

Right now I have an upright hoover wind tunnel that I despise.  I'm afraid of the wheels scratching the floor and it's absolutely dreadful to clean out.  The filter gets plugged and I need to take it outside to dump because it's too messy and dust goes everywhere.  Needless to say I will not be going bagless ever again.

What I've been looking at:  I'm mainly looking in the $250-$500 range.  If I spend $500 it better be an awesome vacuum.

I've been looking at the panasonic MC-CG885 ($250ish).  There are some reviews on amazon but no professional reviews that I've been able to find.  The price is right.  The lack of a bare floor attachment might be an issue (can I find an aftermarket that will work?)

I've also seen the MC-CG985 for around $500, but again no reviews.  What am I getting for an extra $250?  The Panasonic site is aweful for trying to discern the differences between models.

I've also kicked around getting a $500 Miele S4212 Neptune Galaxy.  The lack of a powerhead makes me think twice about getting one of these.  I'm not sure if the turbobrush that comes with this unit is upo to the animal task.

Any thoughts?

Replies: 3 - 12 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
JeffA

Re: Help with Canister Vacuum buying choice.
Reply #3   Jul 15, 2009 9:55 am
 Thank you very much for your replies.

One thing I should mention is that my wife has allergies. 

Last night I came across the Miele S4212 Neptune Galaxy that can be had for $500.  This unit comes with the air driven STB 205-3 Turbo brush for rugs and the SBB 300-3 Parquet Floor tool.  Would you still recommend a Kenmore with a proper power brush over this unit?

Venson

Reply #4   Jul 15, 2009 12:08 pm
JeffA wrote:

One thing I should mention is that my wife has allergies.  </p><p>Last night I came across the Miele S4212 Neptune Galaxy that can be had for $500.  This unit comes with the air driven STB 205-3 Turbo brush for rugs and the <font size="2">SBB 300-3 Parquet Floor tool.  Would you still recommend a Kenmore with a proper power brush over this unit?</font>

Hi JeffA,

Sorry, all that shines ain't gold. Just because a particular vacuum model is named Miele does not mean it is the perfect machine for every household or situation. Nor does it mean that Miele has the corner on air filtration.

As for the turbo-brush, it depends upon the cleaner's airflow to make its turbine run and as high speed is necessary to make its revolving brush efficient a lot of air bleed is necessary or the brushroll will either stall or slow down. It also depends up a narrow airway to concentrate airflow to make the turbine blades turn inb better fashion. Nice in theory but easy to clog when actually at work.

A power nozzle uses an electric motor to run its brushroll. This provide continuous and consistent power delivery to the brushroll independent of airflow. This type nozzle promotes better deep cleaning than turbo-brushes can. If allergies are a real issue in your home you, along with the usual dirt and grit, want to rout as much pet and people dandruff from carpeting as you can. Good uprights or canisters with well-made power nozzles are teh netter thing here.

Unless, you can throw the larger part of your carpeting into a washing machine once a week -- and that doesn't sound likely -- get a vacuum with a good electric power nozzle. Kenmore, Riccar and Simplicity offer that. As for allergies, the vacuums spoken of have good emissions ratings and can be used with high-filtration bags and filters. Plus for your $500 you'll get better features. Trust me, the Miele you're hoping for costs $900 to $1,200. The Galaxy series Neptune you're looking at is no match.

Per my advice, check out not only Sears but some of your local vac shops to learn if you might swing a deal on a better vacuum at a commfortable price.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #5   Jul 15, 2009 12:16 pm
JeffA wrote:

One thing I should mention is that my wife has allergies. 

Last night I came across the Miele S4212 Neptune Galaxy that can be had for $500.  This unit comes with the air driven STB 205-3 Turbo brush for rugs and the SBB 300-3 Parquet Floor tool.  Would you still recommend a Kenmore with a proper power brush over this unit?

Hello JeffA:

The MIELE S4 Galaxy series has been awarded certification by the DMT Air Quality Testing Institute, an independent institute that monitors air hygiene.  The S4 joins all other MIELE canister vacuums, which were the world's first to receive this certifcate WITH a top rating of 'excellent air quality."  This certification refers to MIELE's HEPA filter and the vacuum cleaner working together as a sealed system to provide maximum protection for indoor air quality.

The S4212 is a smaller MIELE cann at 10 pounds and the air driven turbo head rug nozzle lacks the umph of the electric power brushes.  $499 is the MSRP list.   Worth haggling on price in the current economy.  The Kenmore Blue canister lists retail at about $250.  The MIELE will last 20 years easily and then some.  The Kenmore Blue canister............maybe 7-10 years with some TLC???

Carmine D.

RAD1

Reply #6   Jul 15, 2009 2:25 pm
"Floors - House is mostly lamanate flooring with a few large will area rugs and runners.  Carpeting in a couple bedrooms but I'm planning on pulling that and putting in lamanate with rugs."

Dear Jeff - If you plan on pulling up the carpeting and have only laminate flooring, I believe a Turbobrush on the Neptune will be more that sufficient, unless your carpeting is very thick and dense or your house is over 3000 SqFt.
I sell Neptunes all the time with home environments like these, and my customers are extremely pleased.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need some help.
Thanks!

mole

Reply #7   Jul 15, 2009 4:50 pm
Install a used central vacuum system ,there all over the place on line, in dealers .DONT BE AFRAID ......DO IT AND GET IT OVER WITH ....
CarmineD

Reply #8   Jul 15, 2009 5:09 pm
mole wrote:
Install a used central vacuum system ,there all over the place on line, in dealers .DONT BE AFRAID ......DO IT AND GET IT OVER WITH ....

Hello MOLE:

What's the cost for a decent "used" CVS with installation to meet the cleaning needs of JeffA?  What kind of warranty would come with it?

Carmine D.

JeffA

Reply #9   Jul 15, 2009 8:08 pm
Well I made a purchase and ended up with something completely different

I took Carmine's advice and went down to my local vacuum shop to see what he had.  The shop owner was perfectly willing to order me the top-of-line panasonic mc-cg985 and match online prices ($500).  I figured if panasonic made the vacuums for Kenmore I would be pretty safe and this particular model came with all the attachments as well.  We were chatting about the Miele and he wanted to show me a direct competitor that he in stock.  He brought out a Simplicity Verve and went through a quick demonstration.  It was a very very nice machine.  My wife was with and just blurted out, "we'll take it".  The guy was very nice, and chopped $100 off the top and sold it to us for $699 and threw in two boxes (12) bags.  He also gave us a 5 yr warranty on everything and a 7 yr warranty on the motor.  I have no idea if this was a good deal or not.  I can't seem to find any online pricing for this unit.  My only point of reference was the Miele S5 series with the powerhead that starts at $850.  In any even I'm happy with my purchase.  I supported a local business and feel like I got a great product (even though I blew my budget by $200).

Thanks for the comments everyone.  If I get a chance I'll write a review.

This message was modified Jul 15, 2009 by JeffA
CarmineD

Reply #10   Jul 16, 2009 6:42 am
JeffA wrote:
Well I made a purchase and ended up with something completely different

I took Carmine's advice and went down to my local vacuum shop to see what he had.  The shop owner was perfectly willing to order me the top-of-line panasonic mc-cg985 and match online prices ($500).  I figured if panasonic made the vacuums for Kenmore I would be pretty safe and this particular model came with all the attachments as well.  We were chatting about the Miele and he wanted to show me a direct competitor that he in stock.  He brought out a Simplicity Verve and went through a quick demonstration.  It was a very very nice machine.  My wife was with and just blurted out, "we'll take it".  The guy was very nice, and chopped $100 off the top and sold it to us for $699 and threw in two boxes (12) bags.  He also gave us a 5 yr warranty on everything and a 7 yr warranty on the motor.  I have no idea if this was a good deal or not.  I can't seem to find any online pricing for this unit.  My only point of reference was the Miele S5 series with the powerhead that starts at $850.  In any even I'm happy with my purchase.  I supported a local business and feel like I got a great product (even though I blew my budget by $200).

Thanks for the comments everyone.  If I get a chance I'll write a review.

Hello JeffA:

Congratulations on your purchase.  Sounds like your dear Wife knew exactly what she wanted despite all your research.  Many potential MIELE customers buy a Simplicity/RICCAR canister instead and are very pleased with their purchases.  Verve is an excellent choice and will serve your needs well.  If the dealer didn't tell you, all the new Simplicity/RICCAR canisters are manufactured in the USA in a plant in St. James, Missouri, the heartland of the US.  One of the many reasons that independent vacuum store owners and operators in the USA sell them.  Please write a review and post on the Reviews section of this page.  See the top banner with the tabs.  Enjoy your new purchase.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #11   Jul 16, 2009 6:46 am
I took the liberty to post the Verve's web site.  Looks like you got a decent price too.

http://www.simplicityvac.com/products/canisters/mid-size/Verve/  

Once you open, if you click on the "specs" you get a run down of the features.  The additional 3 years of warranty is a nice touch to close the sale and give you peace of mind and free insurance. 

Carmine D.

Mid Size Canister - Verve

This message was modified Jul 16, 2009 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #12   Jul 16, 2009 10:21 am
CarmineD wrote:
If the dealer didn't tell you, all the new Simplicity/RICCAR canisters are manufactured in the USA in a plant in St. James, Missouri, the heartland of the US.  One of the many reasons that independent vacuum store owners and operators in the USA sell them. 

Hi Carmine,

At the moment the cans are still made in China.  As I understand it, the model 1800 will be the first canister to be built in the US slowly followed by the rest of the line. Our rep said it could still be a year or more before they produce the full line.  I suspect the Sunbursts, Moonlights, and Pizzaz will continue to be built in China as the margins are considerably lower.

Dusty
Replies: 3 - 12 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42