Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Airmuscle™ technology - Dyson’s DC28... A floating head on steroids.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   May 14, 2009 5:50 pm
This message was modified May 15, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 49 - 58 of 106Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Reply #49   Jun 22, 2009 2:58 pm
PS:

2 End caps go to HOOVER Platinum bagless upright and twin lightweight and canister and to BISSELL.  DC28 relegated to dyson's line up in the vacuum aisle.  No dyson canns.  DC28,DC17, DC25, DC24, DC14 in that order.  Watched the reaction of several shoppers.  Too many dyson models are confusing for most BB vacuum shoppers.  Onlyt two other HOOVER's beside the end caps.  The HOOVER WT Anniversary for $229.  The HOOVER TEMPO for $79. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #50   Jun 22, 2009 3:02 pm
Thanks Carmine.

Venson
M00seUK

Reply #51   Jun 22, 2009 4:14 pm
Thanks Carmine - a good, objective review.
I suspect the price will fall in time. As is typically at this price range, you get the product out there, sell it for a RRP that's much as the early adaptors will take, then you can offer deep discounts to get people's interest in the next round of sales, which is where your best gains in margin / number of sales. But surely the main objective of this new model is to start getting Dyson some good PR via CR on it's cleaning performance.

It would be nice to see this model sold in the UK, but I have doubts that will happen. Compared to the US, not all that many homes have high pile carpet to justify the spend.
Venson

Reply #52   Jun 22, 2009 5:29 pm
M00seUK wrote:
. . . Compared to the US, not all that many homes have high pile carpet to justify the spend.

Hi MOOseUK,

Do you know of any particular reasons why? Price, maintenance, style? For some reason at least for the late '50s on high pile carpeting was considered luxurious in the U.S. Man-made fibers like nylon, etc., made the longer pile wall-to-wall carpeting relatively affordable for just about everyone.

Best,

Venson
M00seUK

Reply #53   Jun 22, 2009 5:53 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi MOOseUK,

Do you know of any particular reasons why? Price, maintenance, style? For some reason at least for the late '50s on high pile carpeting was considered luxurious in the U.S. Man-made fibers like nylon, etc., made the longer pile wall-to-wall carpeting relatively affordable for just about everyone.

Best,

Venson

Not sure why, I guess just 'the way it is'. It's not to say that people here don't have high pile carpets; our family home used to have this in one room. But my personal experience is that high pile is them norm in the US, at least in the homes I've been in on the west coast.
Venson

Reply #54   Jun 22, 2009 6:24 pm
Thanks MOOseUK,

Just trying to aid to my understanding of the rest of the world's whys and wherefores.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #55   Jun 22, 2009 7:47 pm
Venson wrote:
Thanks Carmine.

Venson                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
M00seUK wrote:
Thanks Carmine - a good, objective review.
I suspect the price will fall in time. As is typically at this price range, you get the product out there, sell it for a RRP that's much as the early adaptors will take, then you can offer deep discounts to get people's interest in the next round of sales, which is where your best gains in margin / number of sales. But surely the main objective of this new model is to start getting Dyson some good PR via CR on it's cleaning performance.

It would be nice to see this model sold in the UK, but I have doubts that will happen. Compared to the US, not all that many homes have high pile carpet to justify the spend.

Both are welcome.  My pleasure.

M00seUK, you are not the first here to say dyson has something to prove with a top notch rating from CR.  Severus has noted that the dyson engineers have most likely broken down many SEARS [Panosonic] Progressives and HOOVER Windtunnels and examined both under a microscope to learn their advantages and benefits.

If I were James, an engineer, I'd have my other top notch engineers on notice that their duty and not just their job is to design and produce a vacuum that will not only ace the CR rug performance ratings but ace their rankings.  Anything less than a NUMBER ONE spot is at best a first place loss.  Unacceptable. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 22, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #56   Jun 22, 2009 7:58 pm
WRT the rug questions of USA vice UK, possibly the answer lies in the fact that for many years the best and biggest rug makers were here in the US.  Hence their products were more available in the USA than elsewhere in the world.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #57   Jun 23, 2009 2:51 pm
WRT dyson prices and sales, KOHL's advertsied sales running June 24 thru July 5 [at 57 Southern California and 5 Las Vegas locations] offer new dyson DC25 for $449 and DC17 Animal for $399.  Plus an additional 15 percent off for seniors and $10 KOHL' s cash for each $50 spent.  After these are sold on sale, I suspect the DC27 [Sam's exclusive] and DC28 airmuscle are next for big box store sales.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #58   Jun 30, 2009 12:11 pm
Hi,

I briefly tried out the Dyson DC28 at Best Buy today. The price is down for the Fourth ($509.00). Hose suction is quite nice. The only thing baffling is why the low carpet setting makes you work to move the machine about. My BB has very low-pile commercial carpet tile and I was surprised at the resistance when the cleaner was set to the normally appropriate "low" setting.

The very enthusiastic young salesman on the appliance floor assured me it was better to use the medium setting. I didn't buy the idea but tried it anyway. Set at medium on pile that was low the cleaner of course became easy to push and did pick up surface litter. I can't say that surface litter pick-up would attest to the thoroughness of clean in that or other situations.

The young man also impressed upon me that my life would be changed -- "Direct drive motor, no bags, no belts." He was a nice kid, I tried not to yawn. What was meritable is that first thing, he did a quick demo in regard to filter maintenance. He precisely instructed how they should be rinsed and left to dry thoroughly before replacement.

Best,

Venson
Replies: 49 - 58 of 106Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42