Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Research . . .
Original Message   Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm
Hi,

I'd like to start researching financials and annual reports regarding some of the more significant vacuum makers -- both corporate and private. Surely there's a way for private individuals to do this but I need some advice and ideas as to how to go about it without the process becoming expensive.

Thanks,

Venson
Replies: 37 - 46 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Research . . .
Reply #37   Oct 30, 2009 6:56 am
Electrolux, as in Eureka-Lux, issued 3 rd quarter 2009 financial results and forecasts for rest of the year and future.  WSJ covered the story.  Do a search on internet to read if interested.  Banner quarter primarily due to increased sales, including vacuums, and reduced costs for raw materials and labor, due to outsourcing.  For vacuums too.  Remember this was the Oxy cann maker which was reluctant to make good on a warranty defect for burnt out wand contacts but finally replaced the entire unit for the customer.  Tried to push the problem off on the big box retailer which sold it and an indy that repairs them.  Both pushed the problem and customer back to the source: Eureka Lux.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #38   Oct 30, 2009 9:46 am
CarmineD wrote:
Electrolux, as in Eureka-Lux, issued 3 rd quarter 2009 financial results and forecasts for rest of the year and future.  WSJ covered the story.  Do a search on internet to read if interested.  Banner quarter primarily due to increased sales, including vacuums, and reduced costs for raw materials and labor, due to outsourcing.  For vacuums too.  Remember this was the Oxy cann maker which was reluctant to make good on a warranty defect for burnt out wand contacts but finally replaced the entire unit for the customer.  Tried to push the problem off on the big box retailer which sold it and an indy that repairs them.  Both pushed the problem and customer back to the source: Eureka Lux.</p><p>Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine,

You're doing so much of a better job at this than I.

Regarding the the bad design issue -- it's my assumption that had there been broader public knowledge of the wand problem "Eureka-Lux's" good news story, vacuumwise, might have been different. Do you think the problem should have warranted a recall?

Best,

Venson
dusty

Reply #39   Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
CarmineD wrote:
  Remember this was the Oxy cann maker which was reluctant to make good on a warranty defect for burnt out wand contacts but finally replaced the entire unit for the customer.  Tried to push the problem off on the big box retailer which sold it and an indy that repairs them.  Both pushed the problem and customer back to the source: Eureka Lux.

Carmine D.

I'm confused.  Was it not the authorized warranty center that refused to repair the vacuum even though Electrolux told the customer it would be covered under warranty? If the warranty center had simply done the repair there would have been no issue.  Customer is happy, warranty center gets paid. In defense of the box store, they did what they always do..sell product...in defense of Electrolux (gag) they were willing to cover the problem.  The way I read it, it's the warranty center that dropped the ball (sadly)  If it were up to me, I'd remove the dealer as a warranty center.

Your original quote of the story follows...

Owner paid $281 for the Oxygen from a big box retailer.  Contacts failed under warranty.  Owner calls Electrolux and it assures him its covered under warranty.  Owner brings into an Indy, who says H-E-double hockey sticks NO WAY.  Bring it back where you bought it.  THE BIG BOX RIP OFF STORE.  BBS says SORRY.  Owner goes to Channel 7 Investigation Reports for remedy.  Indy says NO WAY NO HOW I didn't sell it and I ain't warrantying it.  Channel 7 goes to ELECTROLUX-EUREKA LUX who sent owner a new Oxygen.  HAPPY CUSTOMER.  The end until it happens again.

Dusty
procare

Reply #40   Oct 31, 2009 1:09 am
Dusty,

You may not be aware of it but the Independent doesn't currently sell Electrolux (Eureka -Lux) but J.C.Penney, Lowe's and Sears do.They are the only ones right now that I know of that are allowed to sell them. Electrolux appliances are sold at these stores . So the service center for Sears, J.C. Penney and Lowe's would be responsible.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #41   Oct 31, 2009 6:22 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks Carmine,

You're doing so much of a better job at this than I.

Regarding the the bad design issue -- it's my assumption that had there been broader public knowledge of the wand problem "Eureka-Lux's" good news story, vacuumwise, might have been different. Do you think the problem should have warranted a recall?

Best,

Venson

Hello Venson:

I know you are an avid reader of the "old gray lady."  I was but now prefer the WSJ.  Whenever I read an article relevant to here I'll post.

WRT Electrolux and the faulty wand contacts, it does not meet the Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines for a recall, as did the Electrolux Pronto earlier this year: a potential safety and health hazard.  However, as the premier brand and product line for vacuums for Eureka, the defect merits some positive proactive response by the maker to authorized dealers, indies, retailers and customers to alert them and mitigate the default especially under warranty.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #42   Oct 31, 2009 6:32 am
procare wrote:
Dusty,

You may not be aware of it but the Independent doesn't currently sell Electrolux (Eureka -Lux) but J.C.Penney, Lowe's and Sears do.They are the only ones right now that I know of that are allowed to sell them. Electrolux appliances are sold at these stores . So the service center for Sears, J.C. Penney and Lowe's would be responsible.

Procare

Hello Procare:

BEST BUY stores too.  Thanks for posting.

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #43   Oct 31, 2009 11:38 am
procare wrote:
Dusty,

Procare

Hi Procare,

Same thing here in Canada, at least until January as I understand it.  As we're a warranty center for Eureka - Lux we often do repairs to product sold at department stores that we don't sell as it's part of the agreement we signed.  Makes no difference to me, I get paid by Eureka and generally gain a customer in the process. 

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #44   Nov 2, 2009 6:59 am
DysonInventsBig wrote Oct 24, 2009:
Trebor,<BR><BR>It’s nice to see you're excepting demonstrable facts...  Dyson v, Amway, Dyson v. Hoover UK.  To your credit, the anti-Dyson types here would never admit or speak what you did/as you did.<BR><BR>Now the Dyson competitor comes out and demonstrable facts are nonexistent...  Can you demonstrate a single suit brought by Dyson demonstrating the Carmine concocted foible?  That is, Dyson is lawsuit happy and a bully?<BR><BR>Recently Sir James sued Samsung over patent infringement and won.  How exactly did this $1-$1.5B Dyson bully the $9-$12b Samsung?<BR><BR>Carmine spouts and claims Dyson is lawsuit happy (never offering a bit of proof), then Venson got in line behind the Carmine concocted foible, then Retardturtle got in line behind Venson and behind the Carmine concocted foible.  Now you.  1 2 cha cha cha, 3 4 cha cha cha...  Come on everybody!... and do the the Carmine concocted foible dance. ...
Venson wrote Nov 1, 2009:
Thank you procare for getting us back on track. I wholeheartedly agree with your view. In most business situations, from those as simple as the everyday office environment to those as elaborate and involved as the entertainment industry, hard luck stories, could have-would have-should haves, and complaints don't usually get you far AND, as you mentioned are more a strike against the bearer than a benefit.

Whatever the line of business, it is not advisable to knock the competition and certainly not good to make trouble for them to improve your advantage. (I'm sure you're familiar with the thing about being careful in your dealings with others as you head up ladder because you never know who you'll be meeting on the way down.)

If you don't like what the competition's doing, come out with a better product or a better show. If and when you do, it says it all.

Venson

Samsung, not a big player in vacuums but certainly a player here on this Forum thanks to one poster in particular, reported 3 rd quarter 2009 financial results.  It was a banner quarter.  Revenue was $20.9 BILLION in US and net profit was $3.14 BILLION in US, the latter represents a tripling of year ago results AND ITS BEST QUARTERLY PROFIT EVER! 
An internet search will yield the news stories and reports, if interested.  The WSJ covered the reported news.
All Samsung's businesses and divisions showed profits in the 3rd but by far its largest profits came from chip business and TV business. 
Carmine D.
This message was modified Nov 2, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #45   Nov 5, 2009 6:18 am
Stanley Tools and Black & Decker agreed to merge.  Neither are huge players in vacuums but the latter's cordless hand helds are the standard by which most others target and judge the market.

News reports and coverage are available on line if interested.  As usual the WSJ covered the story.

The merge is accomplished by a  stock swap worth $4.5 BILLION.  B&D is the larger company by sales.  But Stanley is the acquiring company.  The new company is called Stanley Black & Decker.  Stanley has 9 of the 15 board seats.  And keeps the CEO position.  The companies have talked of such a deal since the 1980's on at least 8 occasions over the years.  Never able to agree, primarily on the CEO job, until now.  B&D petitioned Stanley with the option.  It is thought because of the current economic conditions.  An industry phenomenon known as retrenchment to reduce costs.  Both Boards have voted and ageed to the merger.  Regulatory entities are expected to agree to the deal.  Jobs and costs are expected to be reduced thru economies of scale.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #46   Nov 7, 2009 6:24 am
Talked about here before and finally done: Another mega merger: Panasonic and Sanyo, both vacuum players, but not the reason for the merge.

An internet search reveals the news if interested.  As always the WSJ covered the story.

Panasonic made a $4.45 BILLION bid for Sanyo to give the Japanese companies, after the merge, 3 promising environmental businesses: solar panels, fuel cells and rechargeable batteries for hybrid and elctric vehicles.  The merger is obviously a venture to grow/transform the new company into a green-enregy powerhouse.  Why?  The Japanese consumer-electronics makers are struggling to make money on household goods like television sets and DVD players amid intense competition from South Korean rivals.

World-wide regulatory and antitrust authorities are expected to give the 'green' light to allow the companies to go ahead with the merge.  The combination of the companies will create the leader in rechargeable batteries, especially for nickel-metal hydride batteries, which are used in hybrid vehicles from Toyota, Ford, and Honda.  Together Pano and Sanyo account for most of the batteries currently used in hybrid cars.  It also better positions the 2 companies in the lithium-ion battery businesses, the technology expected to underpin the next wave of batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles.  The 2 companies account for 30 percent of the all production capacity.

Carmine D.

Replies: 37 - 46 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42