Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Research . . .
Original Message   Mar 16, 2009 1:52 pm
Hi,

I'd like to start researching financials and annual reports regarding some of the more significant vacuum makers -- both corporate and private. Surely there's a way for private individuals to do this but I need some advice and ideas as to how to go about it without the process becoming expensive.

Thanks,

Venson
Replies: 27 - 36 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Research . . .
Reply #27   Aug 11, 2009 1:54 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Executive salaries and bonuses.

HARDSELL,

I think you've hit the nail right on the head.

Venson
Venson

Reply #28   Aug 11, 2009 2:27 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Whatever the Government's program tries to accomplish, the exact opposite results. 

Carmine D.

In our hard pressed times, I'd be more happy if Mr. Obama took off the Santa suit and just said, "Tighten your belts and buck up" and left it at that as he sought to fix but not placate. This is not to say that I don't at least have some idea of his reasoning. There are those among the "movers and shakers" and the "haves" sorted out from the "jave nots" that you just have to try to make happy in some way, shape or form.

Nonetheless, sorry but I'm still asking for equal opportunity here.

My 20-year-old vacuum is not filtering well. Think of the health risks . . . the potential lung damage . . . the medical cost my jobless self may incur for tax payers. I'm breaking my back traveling up and down the stairs with my old blunderbuss of a Hoover!!! Why I could end up wheelchair bound any day now. . . . . My pistol-grip handheld is giving me carpal tunnel syndrome.

Rebates for all I say or none.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #29   Aug 11, 2009 3:42 pm
Venson wrote:

. . the potential lung damage . . . the medical cost my jobless self may incur for tax payers. I'm breaking my back traveling up and down the stairs with my old blunderbuss of a Hoover!!! Why I could end up wheelchair bound any day now. . . . . My pistol-grip handheld is giving me carpal tunnel syndrome.

Rebates for all I say or none.

Venson

Hi Venson:  Join the masses.  I had pneumonia, as I said, and at risk for it.  I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back from an Army injury and collect no VA benefits for it.  Boxed in the Army and in concert with a fall off a ladder and using my right hand to break the fall I have CTS.  I could go on but what's the use.  Wheelchair?  Me?  My brother had ALS for 25 years and never used one.  Crawled around on his knees until he passed, up and down steps too and into and out of the car, which he couldn't close the door on because he wouldn't be able to open it with his hands.  He lived life to the fullest right up to his last breath.  I'd probably follow his example and do the same.  Just as stubborn. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #30   Aug 11, 2009 3:57 pm
Hi Carmine,

I was just putting out some examples but I am thoroughly assured that if you have that kind of stubborness that let's you tell the devil, "I don't care what you do to block my progress, I'm going on anyhow," it can't be a bad thing.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #31   Aug 11, 2009 5:50 pm
Amen, Venson.
CarmineD

Reply #32   Aug 18, 2009 8:05 am
About Electrolux sales/profits for Q2 2009 from the Wall Street Journal 7/17/09.

Carmine D.

Electrolux Reaps Benefit of Year-Ago Cost Cutting

By IAN EDMONDSON

STOCKHOLM -- Appliance maker Electrolux AB reported a sharp rise in second-quarter net profit Thursday, after restructuring costs weighed on year-earlier results, and said the U.S. market was showing early signs of recovery.

Net profit jumped to 658 million Swedish kronor ($84.8 million) from 99 million kronor a year earlier, when it booked restructuring costs of 539 million kronor. Savings initiatives and lower raw-material costs helped push up its bottom line.

Higher prices for Electrolux's products and the weakness of the Swedish krona against the dollar and euro, meanwhile, helped lift revenue 7.4% to 27.48 billion kronor from 25.59 billion kronor.

Electrolux

The company reaped benefits from a shift in production to lower-cost countries, where it has increased efficiencies and lowered its purchasing and product costs. Electrolux launched a restructuring program in 2004 that aims to save 3 billion kronor in annual costs. In December, it said it would lay off more than 3,000 staff, or about 5% of its work force.

Electrolux, known for its vacuums, shown on display in Sweden, is seeing signs of a market bottom in North America.

Most of the company's main markets for appliances continued to show a decline in the second quarter of 2009, Electrolux said.

"There are no indications of an immediate improvement in any of the group's main markets, and, therefore, market demand for appliances around the world is expected to decline further in 2009," the company said in a statement.

Still, Electrolux said it had gained market share in North America, Latin America and Australia.

"In North America we see certain early signs that we are beginning to reach the bottom," Chief Executive Hans Straaberg said in a statement.

Even though the number of refrigerators, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners and other products the company delivered in North America fell 14% in the second quarter, the decline was an improvement on the 16% drop recorded in the first quarter.

Electrolux -- one of the world's largest manufacturers of household appliances after Whirlpool Corp. -- owns the Electrolux, AEG-Electrolux, Zanussi, Eureka and Frigidaire brands.

Shipments to North America have fallen for 12 consecutive quarters, and in Europe for six quarters. The two markets account for almost three-quarters of Electrolux's sales.

The Swedish appliance maker's cautiously optimistic comments on the U.S. offer further evidence that the worst of the recession in the world's biggest economy might be over. That sentiment was echoed by Finland's handset maker Nokia Corp., which Thursday said a slump in demand appeared to "bottoming out."

Investors cheered the results, despite the cautious outlook, and shares were up 9.4% in afternoon trading in Stockholm. The value of the stock has more than doubled in the past six months to trade at its highest level since October 2007.

Write to Ian Edmondson at ian.edmondson@dowjones.com

Printed in The Wall Street Journal, page B4
This message was modified Aug 18, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #33   Aug 18, 2009 9:10 am
Good morning Carmine,

Wow, this is a very informative article.

Thanks.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #34   Aug 18, 2009 12:25 pm
Venson wrote:
Good morning Carmine,

Wow, this is a very informative article.

Thanks.

Venson

My pleasure Venson.  Gives some excellent insight from the management into the status of vacuum sales globally and what's being done to cut costs/expenses to improve the bottom line with sales/profits waning.  Other companies, whether they are publicly traded like Electrolux [whose stock price has done well over the past 6 months], or not, have to do the same cost containment when faced with these economic conditions.  It is a huge myth perpetrated by those who don't know better to say privately owned companies are spared the cost paring done by publicly traded ones.  If you are in any business good times/bad, privately and/or publicly owned, if you are not constantly cutting excess superfluos costs and expenses [especially in prolonged bad times; read sales/profits falling year over year] then you will not be in business long.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 18, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #35   Sep 30, 2009 7:44 am
How's the US economy and appliance sales doing?

According to the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers:

In 2005, the USA sales of "large" household appliances was a record breaking 47 MILLION.

After 2005, sales declined and since sagged to 39.7 MILLION in 2008

So far this year sales are down 14 percent.

Outlook for 2009 Holiday sales season: dismal.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #36   Oct 1, 2009 9:06 am
Consultancy Retail Forward last week forecast that 2009 holiday sales, including electronics, [read retailers like BEST BUY, Wal*Mart, SEARS HOLDINGS, and Radio Shack] would be the second worst in 42 [forty two] years. 

Stephen Baker of market researcher NPD Group says that ...."The fact that with most of these products [electronics], people already have one.  In this enrironment, retailers are scuffling trying to get customers to buy another."  Read:  Retailers will try to maintain year over year holiday sales and profits with promotions such as buy-one-get-one-free specials and pushing add-ons such as free home installation services.

BTW, Forbes released its latest top 400 USA wealthiest people.  The cut off now is $950,000,000.  The dollar threshold has gone down from ONE BILLION $ to make the Forbes list.

Carmine D.

Replies: 27 - 36 of 46Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42