Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Bagless Kirby, Testing the Keeler conversion

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Bagless Kirby, Testing the Keeler conversion
Original Message   Feb 27, 2009 5:04 pm
A week ago I accquired a rebuilt G4 and today spent the last few hours testing the machine with a Keeler bagless conversion. Whoa! It is fabulous!

I had vacuumed thoroughly for the last three days with the paper bag on the Kirby, and also with my Rainbow D4SE with an E2 P/N. The KIrby sucked up the carpet one notch higher with the conversion than with the bag and held it there while vacuuming, both with the Tech drive engaged and off. The dirt did not swirl in the dust container as I thought it might, but it doesn't matter. The improved dirt pickup is astonishing, on carpet, area rugs, level loop, anything. After 2 hrs of almost continuous operation, the motor was no hotter than if I had been running it with a bag, and dirt was still accumulating in the jar. I emptied it, lightly brushed the filter and continued vacuuming.

The upright pushes a lot smoother  with the conversion as opposed to the bag, but scatter rugs are harder to vacuum, they are sucked up more easily. The hand portable on the steps is more balanced with the Keeler conversion, and the Zippbrush just screams. The bagless conversion really is a quantuum jump in performance. Way to go Jim!

Trebor

This message was modified Mar 5, 2009 by Trebor
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Testing a bagless G4
Reply #4   Feb 28, 2009 3:14 pm
As a PS:  For many years, I also converted vacuums with paper bags to cloth for maintenance users and cleaning staffs.   Again, the reason was not dollars as much as for the convenience and needs of the users.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #5   Feb 28, 2009 3:33 pm
Another manufacturer alteration I made for customers who requested:  The HOOVER Constellation canister model 87 with the on/off switch on the hose end.  Frequently these hoses/switches went bad.  A new hose was very costly oft times half the cost of a new HOOVER canister.  I by-passed the switch on the hose by installing an on/off switch on the vacuum and/or if a new hose was needed, allowed customers to trade down with a a new standard after market hose and added a switch on the vacuum.  I didn't patent the idea or sue others who copied it.  In fact, after I informed HOOVER representatives, HOOVER offered it as a work-around to customers too.  Ironically, as one might expect, that was the only HOOVER Constellation canister in a long production run of models that ran for over 20 years that used that set up. 

Carmine D.

Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #6   Feb 28, 2009 9:29 pm
Trebor wrote:
Vacuuman,

Let me make sure I understand. You are dissing Mr. Keeler's invention based soley on your personal opinion,

and not on any actual testing. The thing works better on a Kirby than it ever will on a $#%* Eureka. If it hadn't worked,

I would have said so, and returned it. I owe Mr. Keeler nothing. But if you had thought of it first, knowing you had a ready market,

you would have refused to manufacture it, and the profit, based on some misguided holier-than-thou aesthetic ? (big word, sorry, look it up)

It's just a vaccum cleaner!  Putting a bagless unit on a Kirby is not the same as colorizing classic B&W films

or sculpting arms for the Venus De Milo. Get over yourself. Try using something

before you bash it.

I have no interest in trying the filthy dirtbelching device.  I hate bagless machine because they are, no matter what, nasty and filthy.  You have to empty that vile capsule of yuck, dump it and cause a dirt cloud, then the filthy job of cleaning that gross filter!  The nasty container is bad enough on the Ewreaka, much less glued to a Kirby hose adaptor.  I wouldnt own the dirt cup on the Eureka, much less buy it for the cost of the whole Eureka and downgrade my $2000 Kirby! 

I don't have to try it to know its garbage, some things I can tell are garbage just by looking.
This message was modified Feb 28, 2009 by Vacuuman
CarmineD

Reply #7   Mar 1, 2009 7:12 am
Vacuuman:

In rebuilding vacuums for many years for both myself and the industry, I used a similar philosophy as you.  To the maximum degree possible, I would maintain the integrity and distinctiveness of the manufacturers' original aesthetics.  If the vacuums were a buffed chrome, I would buff.  If the vacuums were hammertone blue, tan, etc. metal finish, then I used the original paint colors and finishes.  If the colors and trims were whatever they were for cords, outer bags etc, I repeated and used the same in the rebuilt models.  Lacquer enamel paints in bulk and spray were even designated by the brand model colors for vacuum rebuilders in the industry like me.  Always worked well for me and the buyers to recognize the classic look of the makers' own models.  Oft times they could not tell the rebuilt from new due in large part to the original color scheme.  I never presumed myself to know more than the makers about what would work better/appeal to the buyers.  Usually the makers employed special designers and experts in the field on such matters.  I was always pleased they made it easier for me to rebuild rather than attempting to redo/outdo.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #8   Mar 1, 2009 9:17 am
Its nothing but another SALES tool pitch,It has a nice story behind it,

The smart consumer should ask themselves ,what  real benefit does this device offer me?

Keeler has kirby training and background,some of the best  dazzle them with B.S. in the world.

How come  my customers wont pay more than 300.00 for a kirby?. Maybe im not a very good con man, but hey im still in business and doing better than ever.

THE GIGS UP ,THE WANNABES ARE GOING DOWN THE TOILET .

Carmine and I told you so , 5years ago.

SELL,SELL,SELL,

regards

MOLE
Venson

Reply #9   Mar 1, 2009 12:02 pm
mole wrote:
. . . How come  my customers wont pay more than 300.00 for a kirby?. <BR><BR>MOLE

Hiya MOLE,

I think people are more savvy than in past. There's so much information available now. Don't hate me but I think that $300 to $400 for a used/rebuilt Kirby in good condition is fair. (Considering that sold to distributors and salespeople for just about that when new.)

The selling point is that with reasonable care and use a ten or fifteen year old used or rebuilt Kirby bought today is highly likely to still be working twenty years later. If you just want a good vacuum and aren't worried about impressing the neighbors any model from the latter G series is a good deal. I'd guess for younger buyers uninformed re its history, the downside for Kirby is that it looks dated and is a little heavy.

That aside, if I needed a vacuum now I'd be out looking for an affordable used all-metal machine BUT I am already aware of what they can do.

Best,

Venson
mole

Reply #10   Mar 1, 2009 12:21 pm
Yo Venson,

I have the utmost respect for you and your buying prowness, you are one of the few that can weed thru the B.S. and make an informed decision[spelling]. I agree that a G series kirby are worth 300 to 400, but must be pristine and be backed up by professional service, what good is a machine no matter what brand that has no backup service or competent repair people?

regards

MOLE

Venson

Reply #11   Mar 1, 2009 1:13 pm
Hi MOLE,

It's good you mentioned back-up as it is really important.

By the way, there's a dealer out of Utah on eBay who's put a new spin on his Kirby refurbs. He's offering about 10 "pet version" Ultimate Gs for $400 a pop basic attachment set included. The Zip brush has been replaced with a generic turbo tool and there's also an after-market brushroll with spaced out white bristle that's supposedly designed for pet owners. There's a five-year warranty on the cleaner and very low shipping. Also, there's a pretty comprehensive explanation of the difference in the G series model range.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #12   Mar 1, 2009 5:27 pm
mole wrote:

THE GIGS UP ,THE WANNABES ARE GOING DOWN THE TOILET .

Carmine and I told you so , 5years ago.

SELL,SELL,SELL,

regards

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

You said it first, I just agreed with you.  You also said that we would see consolidations in the industry.  So far you're right on.  ORECK acquired halo.  TTI Floorcare acquired HOOVER.  And we know there are more to come in the months and years ahead.  Even some not expected right now.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Mar 1, 2009 by CarmineD
jhannah

Re: Bagless Kirby, Testing the Keeler conversion
Reply #13   Jan 15, 2010 11:15 pm
Trebor wrote:
A week ago I accquired a rebuilt G4 and today spent the last few hours testing the machine with a Keeler bagless conversion. Whoa! It is fabulous!

I had vacuumed thoroughly for the last three days with the paper bag on the Kirby, and also with my Rainbow D4SE with an E2 P/N. The KIrby sucked up the carpet one notch higher with the conversion than with the bag and held it there while vacuuming, both with the Tech drive engaged and off. The dirt did not swirl in the dust container as I thought it might, but it doesn't matter. The improved dirt pickup is astonishing, on carpet, area rugs, level loop, anything. After 2 hrs of almost continuous operation, the motor was no hotter than if I had been running it with a bag, and dirt was still accumulating in the jar. I emptied it, lightly brushed the filter and continued vacuuming.

The upright pushes a lot smoother  with the conversion as opposed to the bag, but scatter rugs are harder to vacuum, they are sucked up more easily. The hand portable on the steps is more balanced with the Keeler conversion, and the Zippbrush just screams. The bagless conversion really is a quantuum jump in performance. Way to go Jim!

Trebor

I got sucked into buying one of Jim keelers conversion kits and I have to say that it's a real piece of crap. The build quality is terrible at best. Also, the airways get progressively smaller from the point where it attaches to the Kirby to the point where it enters the canister. Combine that with a tiny pleated filter that will clog after about 30 minutes of use and you have a Kirby with a bad case of asthma. My conversion did not have an O-Ring seal around the lid and it leaked air badly around the rim. Also there was a square hole in the top of the canister opposite the side where the PVC pipe was inserted that Jim Keeler attempted to seal with a glued on piece of plastic. It fell off before I could even use it for the first time. I had to attempt to re-glue the patch but was unable to get Super Glue to bond with it. I eventually used Duct Tape to cover the hole so that I could at least try this thing out. Overall this conversion isn't worth the money. I should have purchased $80 worth of Kirby bags which would have lasted me about 2 years instead of this piece of junk.
This message was modified Jan 15, 2010 by jhannah
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42