Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...
Original Message   Feb 15, 2009 4:22 pm
How long until someone exposes the rubbish and lies of [vacuum cleaner] *clubbers and *dealers who use YouTube as their platform? 

DIB

*Not all, just many (are dirty).
This message was modified Feb 15, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 31 - 40 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...
Reply #31   Feb 22, 2009 7:49 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Agreed.  It's a shame, because many put their trust in CR.  Bag technology aside, surface area is king, yet the Electrolux Infinity ranks high.  Hmmm

Assuming as I did, that DIB's reference above is to the Electrolux Intensity, the subsequent posters discussions which incorporate several leading vacuum industry authorities, like WHICH?, Consumer Reports, and the ASA [granted 1 and 3 are in the UK], then a third party interested vacuum buyer should conclude that bag surface area is not king [as the bag holds only 3 ounces vice 5 or more for most], but engineering is.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #32   Feb 22, 2009 6:30 pm
Model2 wrote:
Panasonic made the Icon in 3 bagged models, and 3 bagless. I have two bagged examples (the same models pictured), and a mid-ranged bagless. I wasn't commenting on their performance in comparison to anything else discussed in this thread, I was just saying they were a fantastic machine. I'm pleased to see their Direct Drive agitator is still in use on the market; it's just a shame they were discontinued in the UK in 2001.

WRT Hoover's legacy, every upright vacuum out there can trace its family tree back to the Model O!

Model2,

Can you share any info...  when were the casters first used on an upright?  Do you have any patent numbers or inventors names connected to the Model O.

Thanks!        DIB
This message was modified Feb 22, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #33   Feb 22, 2009 8:34 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Model2,

Can you share any info...  when were the casters first used on an upright?  Do you have any patent numbers or inventors names connected to the Model O.

Thanks!        DIB

Hi DIB,

the first large-scale production machine to use casters was indeed the 1908 Model O (I say 'large-scale production'; less than 400 were made!). However, before J M Spangler and W H Hoover joined forces to create the Electric Suction Sweeper Company, Spangler was making a very similar machine himself at a rate of 2-3 per week. These also had the caster wheels, so they were technically the first upright machines to use them. Hoover's earliest machines were just too big and heavy to be used without the rear casters; it would be like trying to steer the Titanic!

Here's a picture of one of Spangler's 1907 pre-'Electric Suction Sweeper Company' cleaners, in which you can see the swivel caster at the rear of the chassis.

The patent for this 'Carpet Sweeper and Cleaner' is filed under the name J M Spangler. However, the cleaner shown in the patent illustration differs from production machines in several ways: the hose for the dusting tools attaches differently, the brush-roll seems to be driven by a sort of axle-system, not a belt, and most importantly for you, the rear wheels are shown as being fixed-axle type, not swivel casters. I guess they came as a slighly later improvement when production began!

This message was modified Feb 22, 2009 by Model2

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DysonInventsBig

Reply #34   Feb 22, 2009 10:48 pm
Model2 wrote:
Hi DIB,

the first large-scale production machine to use casters was indeed the 1908 Model O (I say 'large-scale production'; less than 400 were made!). However, before J M Spangler and W H Hoover joined forces to create the Electric Suction Sweeper Company, Spangler was making a very similar machine himself at a rate of 2-3 per week. These also had the caster wheels, so they were technically the first upright machines to use them. Hoover's earliest machines were just too big and heavy to be used without the rear casters; it would be like trying to steer the Titanic!

Here's a picture of one of Spangler's 1907 pre-'Electric Suction Sweeper Company' cleaners, in which you can see the swivel caster at the rear of the chassis.

The patent for this 'Carpet Sweeper and Cleaner' is filed under the name J M Spangler. However, the cleaner shown in the patent illustration differs from production machines in several ways: the hose for the dusting tools attaches differently, the brush-roll seems to be driven by a sort of axle-system, not a belt, and most importantly for you, the rear wheels are shown as being fixed-axle type, not swivel casters. I guess they came as a slighly later improvement when production began!

Model2,

Many thanks!  I know you said it, but it’s hard to believe...  the image is of a Spangler vacuum or the vacuums he used to make himself?

Our two countries have made patent searching much harder than it should be (the U.S. is much worse).  Have you seen? - Google has indexed the patent office docs with thumbnails!  J M Spangler (and all others) patents with a single click - take a look...

http://www.google.com/patents?q=J+M+Spangler&rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=0

DIB
This message was modified Feb 22, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

Reply #35   Feb 23, 2009 4:24 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Model2,

Many thanks!  I know you said it, but it’s hard to believe...  the image is of a Spangler vacuum or the vacuums he used to make himself?

Our two countries have made patent searching much harder than it should be (the U.S. is much worse).  Have you seen? - Google has indexed the patent office docs with thumbnails!  J M Spangler (and all others) patents with a single click - take a look...

http://www.google.com/patents?q=J+M+Spangler&rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=0

DIB

Yep, the picture I posted is of one of the machines hand-made by Spangler at his home in 1907, before W H Hoover got involved. In other words, the world's first portable electric upright vacuum cleaner. This would have been the sort of machine Susan Hoover bought from Spangler, before praising it enthusiastically to her husband.

Spangler travelled around North Canton (or 'New Berlin', as it was known until Jan. 1918!) on the trolley cars, collecting parts he'd ordered from various tradesmen and workshops etc. Then he and his son would assemble the machines, while his wife and daughter made the dustbags on their sewing machine!

The example pictured is on public display in the Hoover Historical Center in North Canton, Ohio.

Thanks for pointing out the new thumbnail indexing on googlepatents - it makes everything so much easier! I could have saved myself many hours in research if they'd done this sooner!

Here's a photo of the underside of a 1908 Electric Suction Sweeper Model O - this shows the casters clearly:

CarmineD

Reply #36   Feb 23, 2009 7:51 am
It apears that these HOOVER ancestry vacuums are two different and distinct machines.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #37   Feb 23, 2009 7:56 am
Model2 wrote:

The example pictured is on public display in the Hoover Historical Center in North Canton, Ohio.

The Center was closed some time ago and the contents are the property of a famous US A HOOVER expert and collector.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #38   Feb 23, 2009 8:28 am
CarmineD wrote:
The Center was closed some time ago and the contents are the property of a famous US A HOOVER expert and collector.

Carmine D.

That's incorrect; I visited the Historical Center in August 2008 during the celebrations for Hoover's 100th Anniversary. It's been closed  to the public over the winter as usual, but should be open for business again this month. The Historical Center is the property of the Walsh University, not Hoover, and is still very much an operative organisation. It continues to maintain considerable Hoover Company archives, as well as a large selection of historical machines, spanning from Spangler's 1907 sweeper to TTI's current line-up.

You may be confusing it with the liquidation of the Hoover Factory's infamous Vault of machines  - TTI retained all the pre-1960 contents, but most of the post-1960 machines are now the property of a good friend of mine in North Canton - presumably the expert you refer to. I've personally seen these, and even used a few! My friend spends much of his spare time doing work for the Historical Center. Some Vault machines also went to another North Canton resident, and many of those have found their way onto eBay, and into the hands of other collectors.

The Hoover Historical Center - August 8th, 2008

This message was modified Feb 23, 2009 by Model2

Model2

Reply #39   Feb 23, 2009 8:38 am
CarmineD wrote:
It apears that these HOOVER ancestry vacuums are two different and distinct machines.

Carmine D.

They certainly have their differences; Spangler's Sweeper used an Emerson motor, whereas the Model O used a Westinghouse motor. Also, the Model O introduced the light blue colour scheme - it was felt that the large, heavy, purring Spangler beast, painted black with gold detailing, might be intimidating to timid housewives not used to electrical appliances of any sort!

Of course, since both the Spangler Sweeper and the Model O were hand-built, little details changed constantly throughout production, as new ways of saving cost and improving quality were discovered. No two were exactly alike.

CarmineD

Reply #40   Feb 23, 2009 8:49 am
Thank you for the edification.  When you talk to your friend in NC, Ohio, who owns the post 1960 HOOVER machines, please give him my best.

Carmine D.

Replies: 31 - 40 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42