Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...
Original Message   Feb 15, 2009 4:22 pm
How long until someone exposes the rubbish and lies of [vacuum cleaner] *clubbers and *dealers who use YouTube as their platform? 

DIB

*Not all, just many (are dirty).
This message was modified Feb 15, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 1 - 67 of 67View as Outline
Venson

Re: Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...
Reply #1   Feb 15, 2009 7:43 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
How long until someone exposes the rubbish and lies of [vacuum cleaner] *clubbers and *dealers who use YouTube as their platform? 

DIB

*Not all, just many (are dirty).

Hi DIB,

People are not all that gullible.  It only looks that way because we're all overwhelmed with decisions to make. 

I still maintain that it's all a lot of twaddle and not worth a whit of worry.  As I mentioned in another thread, there is no ideal vacuum -- just the vacuum cleaner that one person prefers over another.  Thus, you can say anything you want, do anything you want, set up whatever kind of demos you want but the product you're pushing will still only be bought by some.  We are lucky here as competition is encouraged and we're still somewaht economically able to purchase what we want.

Good old Jerry did not sell me either Miele that I own -- after a good amount of personal research, examination of features and believe me reading user comments that said more to me than the ads -- I sold myself.   I could have bought just about any brand I wanted.  I decided all on my own that I did not want Dyson or a new Kirby or Nilfisk or a Rainbow, an Aerus or  Oreck or  Emer. I bought what I wanted.  However, do I feel you have ot buy it just because I said do --NO!

If you can't make up your mind  intelligently and on your own in regard to where you put your money -- the best thing to do is leave your money in the bank.

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #2   Feb 17, 2009 2:16 am
Venson,

I think the conning vacuum dealers day in the sun is almost over.  Only a fool would place video on the net demonstrating the different cons.  If David Copperfields tricks can be exposed online, so too can the various vacuum cons.  I realize this YouTube con (man} is only one guy, but these tricks of the trade are common amongst the dirty.  Exposing the cons would hurt many in the industry.

DIB
This message was modified Feb 17, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #3   Feb 17, 2009 7:10 am
Time and the internet have dispelled all the vacuum myths of years gone by.  Had the internet existed decades ago, HOOVER would never have had the problem it did with the unscrupulous door-to-door sales people who perpetrated the long lasting myth that the agitators' beater bars prematurely wore out carpets and rugs. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #4   Feb 17, 2009 2:48 pm
Hey Carmine,

I’ve yet to see the breakdown (online) pertaining to how the cons and their tricks are performed.

Thanks for the bit of history...  falsehoods and false performance claims go back a long way.

DIB

Lucky1

Reply #5   Feb 17, 2009 3:01 pm
Like Consumer Reports is any better? LMK.

How about all the saps who bought an "ELECTROLUX" Oxygen because they thought it was the same vacuum their mom had for 20 years. That is the lowest of the low!
DysonInventsBig

Reply #6   Feb 17, 2009 4:40 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Like Consumer Reports is any better? LMK.

How about all the saps who bought an "ELECTROLUX" Oxygen because they thought it was the same vacuum their mom had for 20 years. That is the lowest of the low!

Agreed.  It's a shame, because many put their trust in CR.  Bag technology aside, surface area is king, yet the Electrolux Infinity ranks high.  Hmmm

CarmineD

Reply #7   Feb 17, 2009 6:21 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Carmine,

I’ve yet to see the breakdown (online) pertaining to how the cons and their tricks are performed.

Thanks for the bit of history...  falsehoods and false performance claims go back a long way.

DIB

Some not so long.  Check snopes under:  "Never clogs, never loses suction."  You should find MOLE's statement posted here many many times in quotation marks:  "Laughingstock of the industry."  ASA got the final laugh. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #8   Feb 19, 2009 1:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Some not so long.  Check snopes under:  "Never clogs, never loses suction."  You should find MOLE's statement posted here many many times in quotation marks:  "Laughingstock of the industry."  ASA got the final laugh. 

Carmine D.

I thought they should of changed the colors,then eveything would of had been better.Any one like orecks am/fm/ c/d player attached to the handle??????????

It wasnt me....

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #9   Feb 19, 2009 4:43 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Carmine,

DIB

CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

...Myths.  NAD and the general public are perfectly fine with Dyson's claims.

DIB
This message was modified Feb 19, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #10   Feb 19, 2009 5:25 pm
I can't speak for the NAD [like you] and have not seen an official position from it on these dyson claims.  Let alone one that even vaguely supports your innuendo.  I can speak for the general vacuum buying public and say both former dyson claims: "Never clogs, and never loses suction" are the 2 biggest myths ever perpetrated on the vacuum industry in all my years of professional experience.  Both are attributed to your fave dyson brand within the last 6 years. 

The question for me and others [which remains unanswered] is how many new dysons were sold to unsuspecting buyers who relied on these false and exaggerated claims.  I suspect many were returned to retailers when their owners learned the truth which accounts for the huge resale market for used/refurbed dyson vacuums. 

It's a moot point now except for the future and the more wiser:  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #11   Feb 19, 2009 7:50 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Bag technology aside, surface area is king, yet the Electrolux Infinity ranks high.  Hmmm

I recall a now famous ASA ruling recently against dyson UK.  ASA found and ruled based on the preponderence of test evidence of several vacuum industry professionals that the Electrolux Infinity upright with a full paper bag outcleaned a dyson DC14 by over 40 percent.  And, subsequently, the Infinity was allowed to keep its written advertised claim that it was a better rug performer than a dyson [much to James chagrin, who initiated the ASA action, and your unkind characterizations of the ASA rule makers here]. 

However, I can't recall that the Electrolux Infinity upright was ever a test model in the Consumer Reports in the recent past.  Perhaps I misunderstand/misinterpret your statement.  Would you mind elaborating on your above statement?

Carmine D.

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #12   Feb 19, 2009 11:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I recall a now famous ASA ruling recently against dyson UK.  ASA found and ruled based on the preponderence of test evidence of several vacuum industry professionals that the Electrolux Infinity upright with a full paper bag outcleaned a dyson DC14 by over 40 percent.  And, subsequently, the Infinity was allowed to keep its written advertised claim that it was a better rug performer than a dyson [much to James chagrin, who initiated the ASA action, and your unkind characterizations of the ASA rule makers here]. 

Guys, are we talking about the Electrolux Intensity here? I can find no ASA reference to an 'Infinity'. If so, here's the appropriate report, and the picture's not quite as you painted it, Carmine. They ruled in Dyson's favour...

ASA Adjudications

Electrolux Home Products Ltd
Addlington Way
Luton
Bedfordshire
W4 9QQ
Number of complaints: 1
Date:9 July 2008
Media:Magazine
Sector:Household

Ad

An ad for an Electrolux Intensity vacuum cleaner in ERT magazine featured an image of the product above text that stated "THE EVOLUTION OF THE VACUUM CLEANER IS NOW COMPLETE ... The new 'Intensity' is so powerful, it surpasses the suction power of the leading upright in the UK by over 50%, giving your customers an intense deep clean".

Issue

Dyson Ltd, who believed the "leading upright in the UK" referred to the Dyson DC14, challenged whether the claim "The new 'Intensity' is so powerful, it surpasses the suction power of the leading upright in the UK by 50%, giving your customers an intense deep clean" was misleading, because they believed the suction power of the DC14 was greater than that of the Electrolux Intensity, which they believed decreased more quickly with use, and because it implied that the Electrolux Intensity cleaned better than the DC14.

Investigated under CAP Code clauses 3.1 (Substantiation), 7.1 (Truthfulness) and 18.1 and 18.3 (Comparisons with identified competitors).

The CAP Code: 3.1;7.1;18.1;18.3

Response

Electrolux Home Products Ltd (Electrolux) said the suction power of the Intensity had been tested by an independent testing laboratory before the ad was published. They submitted copies of the test report for the Intensity, as well as copies of test reports for other vacuum cleaner products. They also submitted a copy of a certificate issued by the independent test laboratory.

Electrolux said the tests were a fair and effective comparison of the Intensity with other vacuum cleaners of similar specification, power and price. They said the results of the tests showed that the Intensity produced far greater suction power than any other comparable Dyson product currently available on the market. Electrolux said that, while they accepted that all vacuum cleaners would lose some suction power during use, it was their view that even when the Intensity had been in use for some time, for example when the bag needed to be changed, the suction power of the Intensity would still exceed that of comparable products by some 50% or more.

Electrolux said they were confident that, given the superiority of the suction power performance of the Intensity, it would deliver a superior cleaning performance to that of any comparable product.

Assessment

Upheld

The ASA took expert advice. The expert said the independent test data supplied by Electrolux was reliable and of good quality.

The expert explained that suction power alone did not give the true measure of cleaning performance, even when measured at the nozzle for upright cleaners. He said the effectiveness of the brush roll or agitator was more significant, because it was that rotating element that loosened the dirt and brushed it into the nozzle. The expert explained that it was then the airflow and not suction power that became more relevant in transporting the dirt into the receptacle. The expert explained that suction power was a result of both suction (negative pressure) and airflow, and that it was possible to have a high suction power value with high suction and relatively low airflow or vice versa. He said it was the latter case that would be more conclusive in determining overall cleaning performance on floors. The expert pointed out that high suction power did not necessarily equate to good cleaning performance, and that equally a reduction in cleaning performance did not necessarily result from a reduction in suction power due to bag 'clogging'.

The expert believed the suction power test data submitted by Electrolux was not sufficient to support the claim that the Intensity gave an "intense deep clean", because it did not include test data relating to cleaning performance.

We noted the independent test data submitted by Electrolux. Although we had not seen up-to-date comparative sales figures to support the market leadership claim made in the ad, we acknowledged that the independent laboratory test data provided by Electrolux showed that, when tested in accordance with International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Standard 60312 clause 2.8, the Intensity did have 50% more suction power than Dyson's DC14 as well as the other vacuum cleaners that Electrolux had tested. Nevertheless, we understood that it was the effectiveness of the agitator and the measure of airflow, rather than suction power alone, that was most relevant in assessing a vacuum cleaner's cleaning performance. We understood that that was because the action of the agitator loosened the dirt and brushed it into the nozzle, and that it was airflow that then transported the dirt from the nozzle into the receptacle.

We considered that the claim made in the ad linked suction power to cleaning performance, and therefore implied that the "intense deep clean" provided by the Electrolux Intensity was as a result of the product's suction power. We also considered that, by linking the '50% more' suction power claim to the cleaning performance claim, the ad also implied that the Intensity cleaned better than the DC14 and the other tested vacuum cleaners. We noted that Electrolux had sent us data that related only to the suction power of the Intensity and not to its dust removal ability, and we therefore did not consider that those test results alone were sufficient to support the cleaning performance claim made in the ad. Because we had not seen data that measured the cleaning performance of the Intensity, we concluded that the ad was misleading.

The ad breached CAP Code clauses 3.1 (Substantiation), 7.1 (Truthfulness) and 18.1 and 18.3 (Comparisons with identified competitors).

Action

Action

We told Electrolux not to make claims relating to the suction power of the Intensity unless they also held data that demonstrated the dust removal ability of the product. We advised them to seek guidance from the CAP Copy Advice team when preparing future ads.

Adjudication of the ASA Council (Non-broadcast)
This message was modified Feb 19, 2009 by Model2

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
CarmineD

Reply #13   Feb 20, 2009 6:43 am
Intensity is the Electrolux I was talking about.  I also thought it was 40 percent and is actually 50 percent.  I understand that is with a full bag inside the Intensity.  Here's the applicable cite from the ASA ruling [excerpted from your post] that I honed in on in mine:

"We [ASA] noted the independent test data submitted by Electrolux. Although we had not seen up-to-date comparative sales figures to support the market leadership claim made in the ad, we acknowledged that the independent laboratory test data provided by Electrolux showed that, when tested in accordance with International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Standard 60312 clause 2.8, the Intensity did have 50% more suction power than Dyson's DC14 as well as the other vacuum cleaners that Electrolux had tested."

As I stated in reply to DIB, I have not seen a Consumer Reports rank and rating on the Electrolux Intensity, tho I would certainly hope and want to. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #14   Feb 20, 2009 6:59 am
Again from your post, I excerpted the relevant part of the dyson suit against Electrolux's claim.  The bottom line is this:  If you compare the Electrolux Intensity claim with the dyson counter claim, ASA ruled in favor of the Intensity on 50 percent greater suction power than the DC14.  What ASA did not rule in favor of Electrolux was on the further claim that suction power is linked to deep cleaning power.  And, therefore Electrolux could not make that additional claim w/o submission of futher evidence.

Carmine D.

Ad

An ad for an Electrolux Intensity vacuum cleaner in ERT magazine featured an image of the product above text that stated "THE EVOLUTION OF THE VACUUM CLEANER IS NOW COMPLETE ... The new 'Intensity' is so powerful, it surpasses the suction power of the leading upright in the UK by over 50%, giving your customers an intense deep clean".

Issue

Dyson Ltd, who believed the "leading upright in the UK" referred to the Dyson DC14, challenged whether the claim "The new 'Intensity' is so powerful, it surpasses the suction power of the leading upright in the UK by 50%, giving your customers an intense deep clean" was misleading, because they believed the suction power of the DC14 was greater than that of the Electrolux Intensity, which they believed decreased more quickly with use, and because it implied that the Electrolux Intensity cleaned better than the DC14.
CarmineD

Reply #15   Feb 20, 2009 7:02 am
PS:  Note ASA uses agitator, a HOOVER term, in referring to brush roll cleaning.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #16   Feb 20, 2009 7:10 am
WRT myths, a longstanding industry tale was that suction alone could clean rugs.  Some whose fave brand talked one time about not losing suction made this point too when they praised 270 Air Watts and kow towed the wimpy brush.

Clearly the ASA ruling squashes the suction myth for cleaning carpets.  Ironic?  Yes, but also a good ASA ruling.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #17   Feb 20, 2009 4:21 pm
'CarmineD wrote:
PS:  Note ASA uses agitator, a HOOVER term, in referring to brush roll cleaning.

Carmine D.

'Agitator', with a capital 'A', was certainly a Hoover term orginally, but now it's used interchangably with the terms 'brush roll' and 'brush bar' by many manufacturers; see for example the catalog listing for the Panasonic Icon models below, which references their 'beltless direct drive agitator'. Hoover abandoned the term, at least in the UK, in the early 1980s with the introduction of the Turbopower/Turbomaster uprights, which used the all-new 'Activator', which was a modern progression on the original Agitator design. Hoover UK sadly no longer use any form of beater on their upright brush bars.

Model2

Reply #18   Feb 20, 2009 4:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:

As I stated in reply to DIB, I have not seen a Consumer Reports rank and rating on the Electrolux Intensity, tho I would certainly hope and want to. 

Carmine D.

I don't have the Consumer Reports findings on the Electrolux Intensity, but here's Which? Magazine's verdict:

Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 4 stars
Laminate floors 4 stars
Floorboards 2 stars
Walls and corners 4 stars
Performance
Allergen retention 2 stars
Pet hair  5 stars
Noise 1 star
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  4 stars
Cleaning stairs 1 star
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

I personally have an Electrolux Intensity, and I can confirm it does do a passable job on carpets. However, the RRP of £286 is laughable for a cleaner with such miniscule bags and no on-board tools. The cord is much, much too short, and it's incredibly heavy to push the bulky motor-unit/nozzle from the rear of the machine, especially when the front is glued to the carpet by the much vaunted suction! Also, it's main party-trick is it's ability to fold up small for storage. However, since you have to purchase an additional canister cleaner for 'above floor' cleaning, you lose the space you save by buying this expensive compact in the first place! It also weighs at least as much as a full-size upright. Save your money and go for a decent all-rounder.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #19   Feb 20, 2009 5:19 pm
Model2,

I am always thankful hearing and seeing vacuum related information from the UK.  Thanks!

I’d like to reciprocate.  Below is a snapshot from 9/2007 CR Canada (for you too Carmine)...

DIB

< click to enlarge
This message was modified Feb 20, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

Reply #20   Feb 20, 2009 5:51 pm
DIB - glad to help! Thanks for posting that CR excerpt; I'm interested to see that the two top-scoring uprights are the Kenmore Progressives with 'Direct Drive'  - the beltless agitator is exactly the same design used by the Panasonic Icon in the catalogue page I posted above!! The Icon was a fantastic machine; I have 3 of them!  

CarmineD

Reply #21   Feb 20, 2009 6:34 pm
Thank you. I pulled out my archived CR for October 2007 and see the Electrolux Intensity review.  Memory isn't what it was.  My vague recollection of the model is it's excellent rug cleaning ability and electronic finger tip controls and very smallish bag.  Tho as the ASA said, even with a bag in need of replacement it had 50 percent more suction power than a DC14 and other comparable vacuum brands and models.  A testament to the better paper bag quality on the market in today's industry.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #22   Feb 21, 2009 7:17 am
Model2 wrote:
The Icon was a fantastic machine; I have 3 of them!  

Panasonic Icons are bagged upright vacuums [not bagless].  WRT the term "agitator", nice to see that HOOVER's legacy is still alive and well in the industry.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #23   Feb 21, 2009 9:18 am
CarmineD wrote:
Panasonic Icons are bagged upright vacuums [not bagless].  WRT the term "agitator", nice to see that HOOVER's legacy is still alive and well in the industry.

Carmine D.

Panasonic made the Icon in 3 bagged models, and 3 bagless. I have two bagged examples (the same models pictured), and a mid-ranged bagless. I wasn't commenting on their performance in comparison to anything else discussed in this thread, I was just saying they were a fantastic machine. I'm pleased to see their Direct Drive agitator is still in use on the market; it's just a shame they were discontinued in the UK in 2001.

WRT Hoover's legacy, every upright vacuum out there can trace its family tree back to the Model O!

Venson

Reply #24   Feb 21, 2009 3:34 pm
Model2 wrote:
Panasonic made the Icon in 3 bagged models, and 3 bagless. I have two bagged examples (the same models pictured), and a mid-ranged bagless. I wasn't commenting on their performance in comparison to anything else discussed in this thread, I was just saying they were a fantastic machine. I'm pleased to see their Direct Drive agitator is still in use on the market; it's just a shame they were discontinued in the UK in 2001.

WRT Hoover's legacy, every upright vacuum out there can trace its family tree back to the Model O!

Direct drive uprights have been made under the Kenmore brand for some time and have continually rated well in our main consumer magazine.  I however do not have any info as to their record in regard to repair.

Venson
This message was modified Feb 22, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #25   Feb 21, 2009 7:05 pm
June 2007
 Electrolux Intensity vacuum: First Look
A unit that folds into a small package. Did it come up big in our tests?

Electrolux Intensity vacuum, upright
COMPACT POWER The Electrolux Intensity upright vacuum, $300, offers plenty of suction and folds into a neat package.
Name of product: Electrolux Intensity EL5020 vacuum

Price we paid: $300

Date of Consumer Reports full report: October 2007

What it is. A 16-pound, 12-amp folding upright that has a short, 3-inch-long air path. The manufacturer claims that this design provides 50 percent greater suction than leading upright vacuums.

What we liked.
The Intensity folds up into a 17x12x14-inch boxlike shape, so it requires less storage space than many other uprights. The vacuum did an outstanding job of cleaning bare floors and achieved excellent results in our emissions test. It also did very well in cleaning carpeting and picking up long pet hair. The vacuum is equipped with a HEPA filter, a brush on/off switch, a 21-foot retractable power cord (not common on uprights), a full-bag indicator, and a telescopic handle that adjusts for users of different heights.

What we didn't like. Unlike many uprights to come out in recent years, this vacuum lacks a hose, so you can’t attach any tools to clean drapes, upholstery, ceilings, or crevices. The vacuum also lacks manual pile-height adjustment, which limits its cleaning performance on carpets, and its 1-quart dust bag is small, requiring frequent changes. And despite its modest weight, the Intensity was not easy to handle or carry.

Electrolux Intensity vacuum, folded
Our initial take. The Intensity is a reasonable choice if you have limited storage space, and it excels when cleaning bare floors and carpeting. But the vacuum isn’t easy to maneuver on carpet. Based on our preliminary testing, we’d steer you toward other less-expensive lightweight vacuums that clean as well and offer more features, such as the Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870, $150, or the Hoover Tempo Widepath U5140-900, $60. For more information on those models, see our Ratings
(available to subscribers)

More information. Whether you’re in the market for an upright or a canister vacuum, read our latest report for expert advice on how to find the right vacuum. And be sure to watch our exclusive video buying guide.
Also from Consumer Reports, a slightly more objective narrative in addition to the numbers.  Of note, among other things, the Electrolux claim to have 50 percent more suction than other leading uprights. 
Carmine D.
Model2

Reply #26   Feb 21, 2009 10:38 pm
Once again, the interesting disparity between the Which? findings, and those of Consumer Reports...

Which? give 2 out of 5 stars for allergen retention, CR calls the emission results 'excellent'.

Also, CR describes the weight as 'modest' - empty, it weighs 7.8kg, which is as much as some full-sized uprights with onboard tools.

CarmineD

Reply #27   Feb 22, 2009 6:56 am
On the BIG 3 vacuum tests:  Carpets, Floors, and Pet Hair, both Which? and Consumer Reports are in agreement and rate the Intensity from VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT.   Not sure about Which? priorities but for the CR ranks and ratings these are the hard core tests that usually make and/or break the highest graded CR line up of brands and models.

CR makes honorable mention of the automatic cord rewind on the Electrolux Intensity, a feature most USA ups don't have now let alone in June 2007.  A nice feature on any vacuum especially a lightweight where storage is a concern. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #28   Feb 22, 2009 7:01 am
Model2 wrote:

Which? give 2 out of 5 stars for allergen retention, CR calls the emission results 'excellent'.

Have to wonder if the Which? Electrolux Intensity model included a HEPA filter like the Consumer Reports model.  That may be the difference in the test results by both entities.  2 out of 5 stars given by Which?  And an Excellent given by CR.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #29   Feb 22, 2009 7:11 am
Model2 wrote:

Also, CR describes the weight as 'modest' - empty, it weighs 7.8kg, which is as much as some full-sized uprights with onboard tools.

For CR tests, 16 pounds is generally the upper limit for a generic claim of lightweight.  The E-lux Intensity justs makes the weight cut off.  No doubt the reason CR's narrative points buyers to the HOOVER TEMPO up a 16 pounder with TOB for only $75.

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #30   Feb 22, 2009 7:39 am
WRT the ASA ruling about the Electrolux Intensity suction and comparisons to a dyson, please look at the link below from the Electrolux site.  On the video screen note the Intensity claim of 50 percent more suction.  Then, if you would click on the star in the lower left hand bottom corner to get the specifics for a comparative claim to dyson and the ASTM test as proof.  Enjoy the vid too!

http://smallappliances.electroluxusa.com/node35.asp?ProdID=37007

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Feb 22, 2009 7:49 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Agreed.  It's a shame, because many put their trust in CR.  Bag technology aside, surface area is king, yet the Electrolux Infinity ranks high.  Hmmm

Assuming as I did, that DIB's reference above is to the Electrolux Intensity, the subsequent posters discussions which incorporate several leading vacuum industry authorities, like WHICH?, Consumer Reports, and the ASA [granted 1 and 3 are in the UK], then a third party interested vacuum buyer should conclude that bag surface area is not king [as the bag holds only 3 ounces vice 5 or more for most], but engineering is.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #32   Feb 22, 2009 6:30 pm
Model2 wrote:

Model2,

Can you share any info...  when were the casters first used on an upright?  Do you have any patent numbers or inventors names connected to the Model O.

Thanks!        DIB
This message was modified Feb 22, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

Reply #33   Feb 22, 2009 8:34 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Model2,

Can you share any info...  when were the casters first used on an upright?  Do you have any patent numbers or inventors names connected to the Model O.

Thanks!        DIB

Hi DIB,

the first large-scale production machine to use casters was indeed the 1908 Model O (I say 'large-scale production'; less than 400 were made!). However, before J M Spangler and W H Hoover joined forces to create the Electric Suction Sweeper Company, Spangler was making a very similar machine himself at a rate of 2-3 per week. These also had the caster wheels, so they were technically the first upright machines to use them. Hoover's earliest machines were just too big and heavy to be used without the rear casters; it would be like trying to steer the Titanic!

Here's a picture of one of Spangler's 1907 pre-'Electric Suction Sweeper Company' cleaners, in which you can see the swivel caster at the rear of the chassis.

The patent for this 'Carpet Sweeper and Cleaner' is filed under the name J M Spangler. However, the cleaner shown in the patent illustration differs from production machines in several ways: the hose for the dusting tools attaches differently, the brush-roll seems to be driven by a sort of axle-system, not a belt, and most importantly for you, the rear wheels are shown as being fixed-axle type, not swivel casters. I guess they came as a slighly later improvement when production began!

This message was modified Feb 22, 2009 by Model2

DysonInventsBig

Reply #34   Feb 22, 2009 10:48 pm
Model2 wrote:
Hi DIB,

the first large-scale production machine to use casters was indeed the 1908 Model O (I say 'large-scale production'; less than 400 were made!). However, before J M Spangler and W H Hoover joined forces to create the Electric Suction Sweeper Company, Spangler was making a very similar machine himself at a rate of 2-3 per week. These also had the caster wheels, so they were technically the first upright machines to use them. Hoover's earliest machines were just too big and heavy to be used without the rear casters; it would be like trying to steer the Titanic!

Here's a picture of one of Spangler's 1907 pre-'Electric Suction Sweeper Company' cleaners, in which you can see the swivel caster at the rear of the chassis.

The patent for this 'Carpet Sweeper and Cleaner' is filed under the name J M Spangler. However, the cleaner shown in the patent illustration differs from production machines in several ways: the hose for the dusting tools attaches differently, the brush-roll seems to be driven by a sort of axle-system, not a belt, and most importantly for you, the rear wheels are shown as being fixed-axle type, not swivel casters. I guess they came as a slighly later improvement when production began!

Model2,

Many thanks!  I know you said it, but it’s hard to believe...  the image is of a Spangler vacuum or the vacuums he used to make himself?

Our two countries have made patent searching much harder than it should be (the U.S. is much worse).  Have you seen? - Google has indexed the patent office docs with thumbnails!  J M Spangler (and all others) patents with a single click - take a look...

http://www.google.com/patents?q=J+M+Spangler&rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=0

DIB
This message was modified Feb 22, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

Reply #35   Feb 23, 2009 4:24 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Model2,

Many thanks!  I know you said it, but it’s hard to believe...  the image is of a Spangler vacuum or the vacuums he used to make himself?

Our two countries have made patent searching much harder than it should be (the U.S. is much worse).  Have you seen? - Google has indexed the patent office docs with thumbnails!  J M Spangler (and all others) patents with a single click - take a look...

http://www.google.com/patents?q=J+M+Spangler&rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=0

DIB

Yep, the picture I posted is of one of the machines hand-made by Spangler at his home in 1907, before W H Hoover got involved. In other words, the world's first portable electric upright vacuum cleaner. This would have been the sort of machine Susan Hoover bought from Spangler, before praising it enthusiastically to her husband.

Spangler travelled around North Canton (or 'New Berlin', as it was known until Jan. 1918!) on the trolley cars, collecting parts he'd ordered from various tradesmen and workshops etc. Then he and his son would assemble the machines, while his wife and daughter made the dustbags on their sewing machine!

The example pictured is on public display in the Hoover Historical Center in North Canton, Ohio.

Thanks for pointing out the new thumbnail indexing on googlepatents - it makes everything so much easier! I could have saved myself many hours in research if they'd done this sooner!

Here's a photo of the underside of a 1908 Electric Suction Sweeper Model O - this shows the casters clearly:

CarmineD

Reply #36   Feb 23, 2009 7:51 am
It apears that these HOOVER ancestry vacuums are two different and distinct machines.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #37   Feb 23, 2009 7:56 am
Model2 wrote:

The example pictured is on public display in the Hoover Historical Center in North Canton, Ohio.

The Center was closed some time ago and the contents are the property of a famous US A HOOVER expert and collector.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #38   Feb 23, 2009 8:28 am
CarmineD wrote:
The Center was closed some time ago and the contents are the property of a famous US A HOOVER expert and collector.

Carmine D.

That's incorrect; I visited the Historical Center in August 2008 during the celebrations for Hoover's 100th Anniversary. It's been closed  to the public over the winter as usual, but should be open for business again this month. The Historical Center is the property of the Walsh University, not Hoover, and is still very much an operative organisation. It continues to maintain considerable Hoover Company archives, as well as a large selection of historical machines, spanning from Spangler's 1907 sweeper to TTI's current line-up.

You may be confusing it with the liquidation of the Hoover Factory's infamous Vault of machines  - TTI retained all the pre-1960 contents, but most of the post-1960 machines are now the property of a good friend of mine in North Canton - presumably the expert you refer to. I've personally seen these, and even used a few! My friend spends much of his spare time doing work for the Historical Center. Some Vault machines also went to another North Canton resident, and many of those have found their way onto eBay, and into the hands of other collectors.

The Hoover Historical Center - August 8th, 2008

This message was modified Feb 23, 2009 by Model2

Model2

Reply #39   Feb 23, 2009 8:38 am
CarmineD wrote:
It apears that these HOOVER ancestry vacuums are two different and distinct machines.

Carmine D.

They certainly have their differences; Spangler's Sweeper used an Emerson motor, whereas the Model O used a Westinghouse motor. Also, the Model O introduced the light blue colour scheme - it was felt that the large, heavy, purring Spangler beast, painted black with gold detailing, might be intimidating to timid housewives not used to electrical appliances of any sort!

Of course, since both the Spangler Sweeper and the Model O were hand-built, little details changed constantly throughout production, as new ways of saving cost and improving quality were discovered. No two were exactly alike.

CarmineD

Reply #40   Feb 23, 2009 8:49 am
Thank you for the edification.  When you talk to your friend in NC, Ohio, who owns the post 1960 HOOVER machines, please give him my best.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #41   Feb 25, 2009 6:54 am
On the HOOVER Web Site, after you look at the the Platinum Collection, there is link to FAQ:  Frequently Asked Questions.  If you scroll down the list, there's one on old HOOVER cleaners.  Here is the answer which notedly mentions vacuum collectors and local repair shops.  BTW, after William "BOSS" HOOVER and James Spangler joined forces as partners BOSS HOOVER started the practice of selling vacuums out of local retail stores with reatilers keeping the commissions on the HOOVER sales.  A sales practice that HOOVER and many other big box vacuum brands still follow, not just in the US but globally:

You asked...

Do you want an old Hoover cleaner that I have?

The Answer is...

We appreciate your offer, but we have a museum of all the cleaners. You might consider placing an ad your local paper or internet. There are many vacuum collectors across America! You might also contact a local vacuum repair shop who might use it as a display.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #42   Feb 25, 2009 6:12 pm
Model2 wrote:
Yep, the picture I posted is of one of the machines hand-made by Spangler at his home in 1907, before W H Hoover got involved. In other words, the world's first portable electric upright vacuum cleaner. This would have been the sort of machine Susan Hoover bought from Spangler, before praising it enthusiastically to her husband.

Spangler travelled around North Canton (or 'New Berlin', as it was known until Jan. 1918!) on the trolley cars, collecting parts he'd ordered from various tradesmen and workshops etc. Then he and his son would assemble the machines, while his wife and daughter made the dustbags on their sewing machine!

Thanks for pointing out the new thumbnail indexing on googlepatents - it makes everything so much easier! I could have saved myself many hours in research if they'd done this sooner!

Here's a photo of the underside of a 1908 Electric Suction Sweeper Model O - this shows the casters clearly:

Model2,

Many thanks!!  The Spangler Hoover story is a great story (the little I know).

A few questions...
When was the Suction Sweeper name/brand changed to Hoover?  And what vacuum was the first Hoover model (do you have a pic of this too?).  Was W H Hoover a preacher or the son of a preacher?  If you have more Spangler vacuum photos, please share.

I love hearing of backyard inventors who's innovations ultimately create industries and wealth.  Have you seen the Modern Marvel video on Spangler and Hoover?  It shows some old footage (few seconds) of the underside of a Suction Sweeper (I believe it was a Suction Sweeper) and it used casters.  I just assumed these casters were fixed to the unit by a home user and not from the factory.  You cleared this up.

Thanks again,
DIB
This message was modified Feb 25, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

Reply #43   Feb 25, 2009 8:13 pm
On August 8th, 1908,  Spangler's 'Electric Suction Sweeper Company' was reorganized , with William H Hoover as president and treasurer, Herbert W Hoover as secretary and general manager, and James M Spangler as superintendent. On January 3rd, 1910, the company was renamed 'The Hoover Suction Sweeper Company', so the first Hoover machines would have dated from around then. However, some late Model Os (or possibly, Model O Improved) bore the name 'Hoover' on the front...the great problem I've had in my research is that very few, if any, official records were kept from this time; the company comprised of fewer than 20 people at this point, and cleaners were being built in a corner of Hoover's leather goods workshop! Everything's very vague, and it's a case of piecing things together from old photos, adverts, sales literature etc, which itself is very thin on the ground. I feel very lucky to have obtained what I have!

The first cleaner Hoover could really call 'all new', as opposed to a variation on Spangler's original design, would have been the 1909 Model 2 (my user ID here!). Before this came the Model O, Model 18, Model O Improved, Model 1 and Model 1 Improved - all within the 1908-09 period; improvements came thick and fast! Here's a picture of Model 2, on display at the Historical Center - a total departure from the large, bulky Spangler-based machines, and infintely more efficient!

Here are two cleaners patented by Spangler; the 1912 Hooverette (the first compact upright; the Dyson DC24 of it's day!), and the 1915 Hoover Baby. Both of these 'budget' models used a brush-roll driven by the front wheels like a carpet-sweeper, combined with an electric suction-only motor:

To answer your second question, W H Hoover was indeed an ordained minister, and also New Berlin/North Canton's first mayor. He was a very generous benefactor to the town and community of New Berlin/North Canton, and is still held with great respect and affection by the people of the town. There's even a statue and plaque in his honour.

I haven't seen the Modern Marvel video on Spangler and Hoover, but it sounds very interesting! Can it be found online anywhere?

This message was modified Feb 25, 2009 by Model2

CarmineD

Reply #44   Feb 26, 2009 7:32 am
The HOOVER Web Site has a one page synopsis of HOOVER's beginnings which may be of interest to those inclined and worth a read [see link to Company Information].  Here is a relevant excerpt:

W.H. "Boss" Hoover, owner of a leather goods manufacturing shop, bought the patent from Spangler in 1908, retained him as a partner, and soon had six employees assembling six units a day in a corner of the leather goods shop.

More can be found on BOSS HOOVER on the internet and his charitable ways, i.e. paying the bank owned mortgages anonymously for residents of North Canton, Ohio during the Great Depression of the 30's to prevent home foreclosures. 

The early portable HOOVER models pictured show the iconic features of the HOOVER upright vacuums of the era that continued on all the HOOVER uprights right up to the late 1920's and early 1930's with the intro of the most famous "Greater HOOVER: The 700 series."  The top mounted motor, white aluminum metal base [lighter than traditional metals of the day], fork bail, power switch on the rear of base, large full cloth bag with the signature HOOVER brand name of the era, front name plate on the base, and rubber bumper [furniture guard] all around.  Even appears the electrical plug is of the screw in variety for light bulb fixtures, typical of the electrical sources of the day.

Carmine D. 

DysonInventsBig

Reply #45   Feb 26, 2009 4:32 pm
Model2,

You helped answer some questions I have had for some time.  Many thanks!  I did not know Hoover was the benevolent man he was.  Wilbur and Orville’s father was a minister too.  It is not uncommon to see men of faith invent, become leaders, financially successful and then give back to society.  R. G. LeTourneau was a man of Christian faith and invented far ahead of his time.  Many of his inventions were dismissed by the big corporations (when he was a small company), and these inventions/concepts are standards today. - Sounds like Dyson (rejected and then was proven to be ahead of his time).  The company now is credited with the worlds largest [rubber tired] front end loader.  Like Hoover he was a philanthropist/giver and founded a university too.  

Did you hear?...  James Dyson gave a large donation to the RCA.  
http://www.rca.ac.uk/Default.aspx?ContentID=501968&GroupID=504590&CategoryID=36538

LeTourneau clips...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJBF7Hbggoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dODuWTI0GdY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvmnc0TJFto

Here is the Modern Marvel - Spangler Hoover [short] story...
http://www.viddler.com/explore/InventBig/videos/55/?secreturl=24707784

Thanks to you too, Carmine.

DIB

P.S.  I use a Mac, and it is impossible to create hyperlinks easily in these posts.  So, no hypelinks.

CarmineD

Reply #46   Feb 27, 2009 7:08 am
We often read and hear about the brilliant ideas that inventors come up with out of frustration with the current crop of product limitations.

Sometimes we even hear the practical ones, like reinventing one's business to survive.  Such was the case with BOSS HOOVER.  Leather goods?  Like horse saddles and gear?  With bicycles and cars rapidly preempting horses.  Good case of reinventing oneself and their business to survive.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #47   Feb 27, 2009 6:26 pm
Well said!  Many things about this story are inspirational!       DIB
This message was modified Feb 27, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

Reply #48   Mar 3, 2009 1:47 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Model2,

You helped answer some questions I have had for some time.  Many thanks!  I did not know Hoover was the benevolent man he was.  Wilbur and Orville’s father was a minister too.  It is not uncommon to see men of faith invent, become leaders, financially successful and then give back to society.  R. G. LeTourneau was a man of Christian faith and invented far ahead of his time.  Many of his inventions were dismissed by the big corporations (when he was a small company), and these inventions/concepts are standards today. - Sounds like Dyson (rejected and then was proven to be ahead of his time).  The company now is credited with the worlds largest [rubber tired] front end loader.  Like Hoover he was a philanthropist/giver and founded a university too.  

Did you hear?...  James Dyson gave a large donation to the RCA.  
http://www.rca.ac.uk/Default.aspx?ContentID=501968&GroupID=504590&CategoryID=36538

LeTourneau clips...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJBF7Hbggoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dODuWTI0GdY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvmnc0TJFto

Here is the Modern Marvel - Spangler Hoover [short] story...
http://www.viddler.com/explore/InventBig/videos/55/?secreturl=24707784

Thanks to you too, Carmine.

DIB

P.S.  I use a Mac, and it is impossible to create hyperlinks easily in these posts.  So, no hypelinks.

No problem, the Company's early history is my particular area of interest - I'm happy to share what I can! Any other questions?

DysonInventsBig

Reply #49   Mar 6, 2009 3:17 am
Model2 wrote:
No problem, the Company's early history is my particular area of interest - I'm happy to share what I can! Any other questions?

I’ll take you up on your offer.  Was Spangler a tinkerer prior to inventing the upright?  How long until the vacuum business became successful?  What was the reaction from people when they saw a vacuum cleaner for the first time?  I was curious of the Spangler Hoover relationship. - How did Spangler and Hoover get along?  How was Spangler compensated?  Was he part owner or an employee?  Do you have any pictures of Spangler or Spangler working on the vacuums or Spangler and Hoover together?  Did Hoover pioneer DTD or any other business ideas?

Thank you,
DIB

Model2

Reply #50   Mar 6, 2009 6:32 am

Q) Was Spangler a tinkerer prior to inventing the upright?

A) Yes, he was an inventor. His former, less famous inventions included a grain harvester, a velocipede wagon, and a ‘combined hay rake and tedder’, which he invented when he was just 18! He lived off the proceeds of these devices until his finances were depleted, as he reinvested his earnings into new projects. His financial situation forced him to take a temporary evening job as a janitor, cleaning rugs in the Folwell Building. Lucky for us that he did - this was where the idea of a machine which would sweep up and remove the dust, without stirring it into the air, first came to him.

Q) How long until the vacuum business became successful?

A) Building up sales was a very gradual process; in 1908, Hoover found just 372 customers. During the years 1909-11, just over 2000 a year were sold. But in 1918, 70,000 Hoover cleaners found owners! By 1923, Hoover had sold their 1,000 000th cleaner. Hoover’s market was severely limited by the price of their product, and most significantly, by the fact that very few homes at this time were wired for electricity!

Q) What was the reaction from people when they saw a vacuum cleaner for the first time?

A) Curiosity, I suppose – as we will be when the first hover-cars appear for sale! When H C Booth first introduced his horse-drawn vacuum cleaner in Britain, society ladies would hold dinner parties while their house was being cleaned, so their friends could witness the spectacle of several long hoses being fed through the windows and doors of the house, while uniformed men did the cleaning! Owning a vacuum cleaner was the height of luxury, and became a status symbol among those who could afford them.

Q) How did Spangler and Hoover get along? How was Spangler compensated? Was he part owner or an employee? 

A) I’m not sure about Spangler’s relationship with Hoover - W H Hoover’s wife was Spangler’s cousin, so he was a member of Hoover’s extended family. Spangler was the Company Superintendent, on salary and royalties. He went on to design several other machines for the company, as well as many small improvements to the suction sweeper design. He died suddenly in January 1915, but his family continued to receive income generated by his many patents until 1925.

Q) Do you have any pictures of Spangler or Spangler working on the vacuums or Spangler and Hoover together?

A) Whenever Spangler is mentioned, online, in books etc, one particular photo is always used. This is the only one I know of:

Q) Did Hoover pioneer DTD or any other business ideas?

A) Hoover did pioneer door-to-door sales, and over its 100 years in existence so far, too many other business ideas for me to list! They led the way.

This message was modified Mar 6, 2009 by Model2

CarmineD

Reply #51   Mar 6, 2009 7:34 am
Model2 wrote:

Spangler.......was an inventor. His former, less famous inventions included a grain harvester, a velocipede wagon, and a ‘combined hay rake and tedder’, which he invented when he was just 18! He lived off the proceeds of these devices until his finances were depleted, as he reinvested his earnings into new projects. His financial situation forced him to take a temporary evening job as a janitor, cleaning rugs in the Folwell Building. Lucky for us that he did - this was where the idea of a machine which would sweep up and remove the dust, without stirring it into the air, first came to him.

As the story goes, J. Murray Spangler had severe allergies to dust and dirt.  So he was unable to get up close and personal with the dirt by using a broom and dust pan [the usual tools of the day].  Spangler's first portable vacuum was made of rudimentary objects that he put together into a vacuum.  After he acquired enough money he fitted the electric motor and bag to a manual carpet sweeper of the day.  These were in use for several decades by this time and sold commonly through the SEARS catalogue for just 5-6 times the cost of a broom [2 bits at the time].  Early vacuums even used the generic name "electric sweeper" in deference to its carpet sweeper roots.

Rather a motley looking picture of Mr. Spangler.  Probably in his early 50's. 

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #52   Mar 6, 2009 5:03 pm
One can only assume" Boss" Hoover spun in his grave faster than a windtunnel brushroller when the Chinese closed the Canton Plant...
DysonInventsBig

Reply #53   Mar 6, 2009 5:39 pm
Model2 wrote:

Q) Was Spangler a tinkerer prior to inventing the upright?

A) Yes, he was an inventor. His former, less famous inventions included a grain harvester, a velocipede wagon, and a ‘combined hay rake and tedder’, which he invented when he was just 18! He lived off the proceeds of these devices until his finances were depleted, as he reinvested his earnings into new projects. His financial situation forced him to take a temporary evening job as a janitor, cleaning rugs in the Folwell Building. Lucky for us that he did - this was where the idea of a machine which would sweep up and remove the dust, without stirring it into the air, first came to him.

Q) How long until the vacuum business became successful?

A) Building up sales was a very gradual process; in 1908, Hoover found just 372 customers. During the years 1909-11, just over 2000 a year were sold. But in 1918, 70,000 Hoover cleaners found owners! By 1923, Hoover had sold their 1,000 000th cleaner. Hoover’s market was severely limited by the price of their product, and most significantly, by the fact that very few homes at this time were wired for electricity!

Q) What was the reaction from people when they saw a vacuum cleaner for the first time?

A) Curiosity, I suppose – as we will be when the first hover-cars appear for sale! When H C Booth first introduced his horse-drawn vacuum cleaner in Britain, society ladies would hold dinner parties while their house was being cleaned, so their friends could witness the spectacle of several long hoses being fed through the windows and doors of the house, while uniformed men did the cleaning! Owning a vacuum cleaner was the height of luxury, and became a status symbol among those who could afford them.

Q) How did Spangler and Hoover get along? How was Spangler compensated? Was he part owner or an employee? 

A) I’m not sure about Spangler’s relationship with Hoover - W H Hoover’s wife was Spangler’s cousin, so he was a member of Hoover’s extended family. Spangler was the Company Superintendent, on salary and royalties. He went on to design several other machines for the company, as well as many small improvements to the suction sweeper design. He died suddenly in January 1915, but his family continued to receive income generated by his many patents until 1925.

Q) Do you have any pictures of Spangler or Spangler working on the vacuums or Spangler and Hoover together?

A) Whenever Spangler is mentioned, online, in books etc, one particular photo is always used. This is the only one I know of:

Q) Did Hoover pioneer DTD or any other business ideas?

A) Hoover did pioneer door-to-door sales, and over its 100 years in existence so far, too many other business ideas for me to list! They led the way.

Model2,

Wow!  I have to rush out, I will comment more later.

Many, many thanks,
DIB

CarmineD

Reply #54   Mar 7, 2009 7:29 am
Lucky1 wrote:
One can only assume" Boss" Hoover spun in his grave faster than a windtunnel brushroller when the Chinese closed the Canton Plant...

I'm not so sure.  Maybe for sentimental reasons.  Buy for practical reasons?  BOSS HOOVER was a practical business man.  The plant was over 100 years old.  What would it have taken to bring it up to current standards?  Alot.  Too much.  Raze and start over.  It was a good run.  Time to begin anew.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #55   Mar 7, 2009 3:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I'm not so sure.  Maybe for sentimental reasons.  Buy for practical reasons?  BOSS HOOVER was a practical business man.  The plant was over 100 years old.  What would it have taken to bring it up to current standards?  Alot.  Too much.  Raze and start over.  It was a good run.  Time to begin anew.

Carmine D.

I can't see 'Boss' Hoover looking kindly on the termination of so many, many loyal workers' jobs. As someone who took such good care of his local community - as preacher, as mayor, as generous (and frequently anonymous) benefactor - I'm sure he would be just as disgusted with what happened as many of the rest of the rest of us were. When he passed away, two services had to be held to accomodate the sheer number of mourners who had travelled to pay their respects. He wasn't your average cold, ruthless 'captain of industry'. He was a real humanitarian, and I don't think he could fail to overlook the human impact caused by the closure of his beloved, century-old factory.

Not for nothing have the North Canton locals branded TTI 'Totally Tradition Ignorant'.

This message was modified Mar 7, 2009 by Model2

CarmineD

Reply #56   Mar 7, 2009 5:20 pm
BOSS HOOVER was a business man with a heart and a sense of service to his workers and the community.  All good business men know that things don't stay the same forever.  BOSS HOOVER was, after all, a leather goods man who reinvented himself and his business to survive.  He understood the need for practicalism and realism for business to survive and flourish.  

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #57   Mar 7, 2009 5:39 pm
CarmineD wrote:
BOSS HOOVER was a business man with a heart and a sense of service to his workers and the community.  All good business men know that things don't stay the same forever.  BOSS HOOVER was, after all, a leather goods man who reinvented himself and his business to survive.  He understood the need for practicalism and realism for business to survive and flourish.  

Carmine D.

The company Boss Hoover built is long-since dead. It's just a name now. I suppose it must do what it can to survive.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #58   Mar 7, 2009 7:05 pm
Since, Mr. Hoover was a man of God he would indeed cringe seeing his good works squandered and then sold to a den of thieves.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #59   Mar 7, 2009 7:14 pm
I disagree.  The HOOVER company as you and others like to remember it is dead. 

I'm sure some believed that when J. Murray Spangler died, HOOVER was over.  When HOOVER went from metal to plastic vacuums, HOOVER was over.  When BOSS HOOVER died, HOOVER was over.  When HOOVER went from d-t-d sales and small independent vacuum dealers to big box retailers, HOOVER was over.  When HOOVER stopped making beater bars, HOOVER was over.  When Maytag bought HOOVER, HOOVER was over.  When Whirlpool bought HOOVER, HOOVER was over.  When TTI Floorcare bought HOOVER and closed the HOOVER stores and the NC, Ohio plant, HOOVER was over.  None of them were correct.  These events individually and in total did not make HOOVER over [despite the letters on the smoke stack].  With them over, eras in HOOVER were over.  Traditions were over.  Not HOOVER.  Like Trebor said, in the final analysis, what matters is who's left standing.  BOSS HOOVER can take comfort in Heaven knowing that HOOVER is still standing.  Changed?  Yes.  Different?  Yes.  But alive and doing well and still going strong after 100 years.

Carmine D. 

Trebor

Reply #60   Mar 7, 2009 10:48 pm
The message the companies never understand is that the bottom line is never really the bottom line. Customer service becomes lip service once the stockholders gain control and start demanding more profit each quarter. Amazon was written off by Wall Street, but they kept investing in themselves to position themselves as the #1 global e-tailer, which they have become. Their motto could be 'forever better', but it's taken. The people at Amazon still constantly strive to improve the customer's experience. Once the easier road is taken, it turns quickly into a steep, treacherous slope, where all thoughts of the direction one is headed are lost in trying to remain upright (no pun intended) while avoiding collisiions with obstacles and looking for a soft place to land.

I think if the Hoover company had made choices true to Boss Hoover's legacy, instead of expediency, the new Hoover factory would be underconstruction right now. I think Hoover would have stayed in the housewares business, and perhaps expanded into lawncare tools, power tools, and sewing machines. I do not believe the all metal beater bar would have been totally abandoned, perhaps remaining as an option. Hoover vacuums would still be found in better stores, where the salesman would talk to the customer about her home and preferences and budget, and taken the right mix of product to show her for total home care, with the Norca name supplying the big box retailers with stripped down bare bones vacs to compete with Eureka and BisselI, and a generous 'trade-UP' allowance on a real Hoover. You can be sure Hoover would have a vacuum approved by CRI and carpet manufacturers for use on frieze. I think Boss Hoover would have grabbed up Dyson's invention of cyclonic technology, and made him wealthy beyond his wildest dreams. Oh, I think he would have produced bagless vacuums, but they would have been attractive, durable and convenient, and properly launched on Hoover's terms in the marketplace. The sale to Maytag never would have happened, and Hoover would be a flourishing multi-national manufacturing corporation, green before it became a buzzword, a model of egalitarian and humanitarian employment and decorum in the marketplace.

Trebor

CarmineD

Reply #61   Mar 8, 2009 7:46 am
Ah, Trebor, ever the vacuum idealist.  It is what it is.  Factor into the mix of things fickled vacuum consumers.  Making what they want to buy where they want to buy and when.  It changes the playing field and rules that BOSS HOOVER used to thrive in.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #62   Mar 8, 2009 8:03 am
PS:  I mentioned I attended the opening of the newest N. Las Vegas TARGET store.  What brand had more new vacuums even w/o counting sticks, hand helds, floor washers, and rug extractors, on display than any other?  Hint:  4 of the new Platinum series vacuums were included too.  5 if you count the New Lightweight and Compact as 2.

Carmine D. 

DysonInventsBig

Reply #63   Mar 8, 2009 9:23 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I disagree.  The HOOVER company as you and others like to remember it is dead. 

I'm sure some believed that when J. Murray Spangler died, HOOVER was over.  When HOOVER went from metal to plastic vacuums, HOOVER was over.  When BOSS HOOVER died, HOOVER was over.  When HOOVER went from d-t-d sales and small independent vacuum dealers to big box retailers, HOOVER was over.  When HOOVER stopped making beater bars, HOOVER was over.  When Maytag bought HOOVER, HOOVER was over.  When Whirlpool bought HOOVER, HOOVER was over.  When TTI Floorcare bought HOOVER and closed the HOOVER stores and the NC, Ohio plant, HOOVER was over.  None of them were correct.  These events individually and in total did not make HOOVER over [despite the letters on the smoke stack].  With them over, eras in HOOVER were over.  Traditions were over.  Not HOOVER.  Like Trebor said, in the final analysis, what matters is who's left standing.  BOSS HOOVER can take comfort in Heaven knowing that HOOVER is still standing.  Changed?  Yes.  Different?  Yes.  But alive and doing well and still going strong after 100 years.

Carmine D. 

Boss Hoover is comforted for sure, but not because of TTI's [suits] devious ways.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #64   Mar 9, 2009 7:37 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Boss Hoover is comforted for sure, but not because of TTI's [suits] devious ways.

DIB

I can't say with the same certainty as you what comforts him.  I haven't talked to BOSS HOOVER in years or the TTI suits.   When I do talk to THE BOSS, I'll be sure to ask. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #65   Mar 10, 2009 2:50 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I can't say with the same certainty as you what comforts him.  I haven't talked to BOSS HOOVER in years or the TTI suits.   When I do talk to THE BOSS, I'll be sure to ask. 

Carmine D.

Why wait?  Why don't you read The Book (with understanding).       DIB

CarmineD

Reply #66   Mar 10, 2009 3:13 pm
Not only do I, but I practice the Book too.  Hence, I can say when I see BOSS I'll ask him. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #67   Mar 10, 2009 3:14 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

Model2 wrote:
I can't see 'Boss' Hoover looking kindly on the termination of so many, many loyal workers' jobs. As someone who took such good care of his local community - as preacher, as mayor, as generous (and frequently anonymous) benefactor - I'm sure he would be just as disgusted with what happened as many of the rest of the rest of us were. When he passed away, two services had to be held to accomodate the sheer number of mourners who had travelled to pay their respects. He wasn't your average cold, ruthless 'captain of industry'. He was a real humanitarian, and I don't think he could fail to overlook the human impact caused by the closure of his beloved, century-old factory.

Not for nothing have the North Canton locals branded TTI 'Totally Tradition Ignorant'.

Model2,
I wanted to say thanks for sharing of "Boss" Hoover.  I know little of the man, I love hearing of men who do well in life and then "give back".  If inclined please share more of the this man (why was he called Boss), etc, perhaps a of him  too.

DIB
This message was modified Mar 10, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 1 - 67 of 67View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42