Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...
Original Message   Feb 15, 2009 4:22 pm
How long until someone exposes the rubbish and lies of [vacuum cleaner] *clubbers and *dealers who use YouTube as their platform? 

DIB

*Not all, just many (are dirty).
This message was modified Feb 15, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 18 - 27 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Re: Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...
Reply #18   Feb 20, 2009 4:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:

As I stated in reply to DIB, I have not seen a Consumer Reports rank and rating on the Electrolux Intensity, tho I would certainly hope and want to. 

Carmine D.

I don't have the Consumer Reports findings on the Electrolux Intensity, but here's Which? Magazine's verdict:

Test criteriaRating
Cleaning
Carpet 4 stars
Laminate floors 4 stars
Floorboards 2 stars
Walls and corners 4 stars
Performance
Allergen retention 2 stars
Pet hair  5 stars
Noise 1 star
Ease of use
General use  3 stars
Emptying  4 stars
Cleaning stairs 1 star
Manoeuvrability  3 stars

I personally have an Electrolux Intensity, and I can confirm it does do a passable job on carpets. However, the RRP of £286 is laughable for a cleaner with such miniscule bags and no on-board tools. The cord is much, much too short, and it's incredibly heavy to push the bulky motor-unit/nozzle from the rear of the machine, especially when the front is glued to the carpet by the much vaunted suction! Also, it's main party-trick is it's ability to fold up small for storage. However, since you have to purchase an additional canister cleaner for 'above floor' cleaning, you lose the space you save by buying this expensive compact in the first place! It also weighs at least as much as a full-size upright. Save your money and go for a decent all-rounder.

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DysonInventsBig

Reply #19   Feb 20, 2009 5:19 pm
Model2,

I am always thankful hearing and seeing vacuum related information from the UK.  Thanks!

I’d like to reciprocate.  Below is a snapshot from 9/2007 CR Canada (for you too Carmine)...

DIB

< click to enlarge
This message was modified Feb 20, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Model2

Reply #20   Feb 20, 2009 5:51 pm
DIB - glad to help! Thanks for posting that CR excerpt; I'm interested to see that the two top-scoring uprights are the Kenmore Progressives with 'Direct Drive'  - the beltless agitator is exactly the same design used by the Panasonic Icon in the catalogue page I posted above!! The Icon was a fantastic machine; I have 3 of them!  

CarmineD

Reply #21   Feb 20, 2009 6:34 pm
Thank you. I pulled out my archived CR for October 2007 and see the Electrolux Intensity review.  Memory isn't what it was.  My vague recollection of the model is it's excellent rug cleaning ability and electronic finger tip controls and very smallish bag.  Tho as the ASA said, even with a bag in need of replacement it had 50 percent more suction power than a DC14 and other comparable vacuum brands and models.  A testament to the better paper bag quality on the market in today's industry.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #22   Feb 21, 2009 7:17 am
Model2 wrote:
The Icon was a fantastic machine; I have 3 of them!  

Panasonic Icons are bagged upright vacuums [not bagless].  WRT the term "agitator", nice to see that HOOVER's legacy is still alive and well in the industry.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #23   Feb 21, 2009 9:18 am
CarmineD wrote:
Panasonic Icons are bagged upright vacuums [not bagless].  WRT the term "agitator", nice to see that HOOVER's legacy is still alive and well in the industry.

Carmine D.

Panasonic made the Icon in 3 bagged models, and 3 bagless. I have two bagged examples (the same models pictured), and a mid-ranged bagless. I wasn't commenting on their performance in comparison to anything else discussed in this thread, I was just saying they were a fantastic machine. I'm pleased to see their Direct Drive agitator is still in use on the market; it's just a shame they were discontinued in the UK in 2001.

WRT Hoover's legacy, every upright vacuum out there can trace its family tree back to the Model O!

Venson

Reply #24   Feb 21, 2009 3:34 pm
Model2 wrote:
Panasonic made the Icon in 3 bagged models, and 3 bagless. I have two bagged examples (the same models pictured), and a mid-ranged bagless. I wasn't commenting on their performance in comparison to anything else discussed in this thread, I was just saying they were a fantastic machine. I'm pleased to see their Direct Drive agitator is still in use on the market; it's just a shame they were discontinued in the UK in 2001.

WRT Hoover's legacy, every upright vacuum out there can trace its family tree back to the Model O!

Direct drive uprights have been made under the Kenmore brand for some time and have continually rated well in our main consumer magazine.  I however do not have any info as to their record in regard to repair.

Venson
This message was modified Feb 22, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #25   Feb 21, 2009 7:05 pm
June 2007
 Electrolux Intensity vacuum: First Look
A unit that folds into a small package. Did it come up big in our tests?

Electrolux Intensity vacuum, upright
COMPACT POWER The Electrolux Intensity upright vacuum, $300, offers plenty of suction and folds into a neat package.
Name of product: Electrolux Intensity EL5020 vacuum

Price we paid: $300

Date of Consumer Reports full report: October 2007

What it is. A 16-pound, 12-amp folding upright that has a short, 3-inch-long air path. The manufacturer claims that this design provides 50 percent greater suction than leading upright vacuums.

What we liked.
The Intensity folds up into a 17x12x14-inch boxlike shape, so it requires less storage space than many other uprights. The vacuum did an outstanding job of cleaning bare floors and achieved excellent results in our emissions test. It also did very well in cleaning carpeting and picking up long pet hair. The vacuum is equipped with a HEPA filter, a brush on/off switch, a 21-foot retractable power cord (not common on uprights), a full-bag indicator, and a telescopic handle that adjusts for users of different heights.

What we didn't like. Unlike many uprights to come out in recent years, this vacuum lacks a hose, so you can’t attach any tools to clean drapes, upholstery, ceilings, or crevices. The vacuum also lacks manual pile-height adjustment, which limits its cleaning performance on carpets, and its 1-quart dust bag is small, requiring frequent changes. And despite its modest weight, the Intensity was not easy to handle or carry.

Electrolux Intensity vacuum, folded
Our initial take. The Intensity is a reasonable choice if you have limited storage space, and it excels when cleaning bare floors and carpeting. But the vacuum isn’t easy to maneuver on carpet. Based on our preliminary testing, we’d steer you toward other less-expensive lightweight vacuums that clean as well and offer more features, such as the Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870, $150, or the Hoover Tempo Widepath U5140-900, $60. For more information on those models, see our Ratings
(available to subscribers)

More information. Whether you’re in the market for an upright or a canister vacuum, read our latest report for expert advice on how to find the right vacuum. And be sure to watch our exclusive video buying guide.
Also from Consumer Reports, a slightly more objective narrative in addition to the numbers.  Of note, among other things, the Electrolux claim to have 50 percent more suction than other leading uprights. 
Carmine D.
Model2

Reply #26   Feb 21, 2009 10:38 pm
Once again, the interesting disparity between the Which? findings, and those of Consumer Reports...

Which? give 2 out of 5 stars for allergen retention, CR calls the emission results 'excellent'.

Also, CR describes the weight as 'modest' - empty, it weighs 7.8kg, which is as much as some full-sized uprights with onboard tools.

CarmineD

Reply #27   Feb 22, 2009 6:56 am
On the BIG 3 vacuum tests:  Carpets, Floors, and Pet Hair, both Which? and Consumer Reports are in agreement and rate the Intensity from VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT.   Not sure about Which? priorities but for the CR ranks and ratings these are the hard core tests that usually make and/or break the highest graded CR line up of brands and models.

CR makes honorable mention of the automatic cord rewind on the Electrolux Intensity, a feature most USA ups don't have now let alone in June 2007.  A nice feature on any vacuum especially a lightweight where storage is a concern. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 18 - 27 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42