Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...
Original Message   Feb 15, 2009 4:22 pm
How long until someone exposes the rubbish and lies of [vacuum cleaner] *clubbers and *dealers who use YouTube as their platform? 

DIB

*Not all, just many (are dirty).
This message was modified Feb 15, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 48 - 57 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Re: Little vacuum cleaner men in big YouTube chairs...
Reply #48   Mar 3, 2009 1:47 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Model2,

You helped answer some questions I have had for some time.  Many thanks!  I did not know Hoover was the benevolent man he was.  Wilbur and Orville’s father was a minister too.  It is not uncommon to see men of faith invent, become leaders, financially successful and then give back to society.  R. G. LeTourneau was a man of Christian faith and invented far ahead of his time.  Many of his inventions were dismissed by the big corporations (when he was a small company), and these inventions/concepts are standards today. - Sounds like Dyson (rejected and then was proven to be ahead of his time).  The company now is credited with the worlds largest [rubber tired] front end loader.  Like Hoover he was a philanthropist/giver and founded a university too.  

Did you hear?...  James Dyson gave a large donation to the RCA.  
http://www.rca.ac.uk/Default.aspx?ContentID=501968&GroupID=504590&CategoryID=36538

LeTourneau clips...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJBF7Hbggoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dODuWTI0GdY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvmnc0TJFto

Here is the Modern Marvel - Spangler Hoover [short] story...
http://www.viddler.com/explore/InventBig/videos/55/?secreturl=24707784

Thanks to you too, Carmine.

DIB

P.S.  I use a Mac, and it is impossible to create hyperlinks easily in these posts.  So, no hypelinks.

No problem, the Company's early history is my particular area of interest - I'm happy to share what I can! Any other questions?

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DysonInventsBig

Reply #49   Mar 6, 2009 3:17 am
Model2 wrote:
No problem, the Company's early history is my particular area of interest - I'm happy to share what I can! Any other questions?

I’ll take you up on your offer.  Was Spangler a tinkerer prior to inventing the upright?  How long until the vacuum business became successful?  What was the reaction from people when they saw a vacuum cleaner for the first time?  I was curious of the Spangler Hoover relationship. - How did Spangler and Hoover get along?  How was Spangler compensated?  Was he part owner or an employee?  Do you have any pictures of Spangler or Spangler working on the vacuums or Spangler and Hoover together?  Did Hoover pioneer DTD or any other business ideas?

Thank you,
DIB

Model2

Reply #50   Mar 6, 2009 6:32 am

Q) Was Spangler a tinkerer prior to inventing the upright?

A) Yes, he was an inventor. His former, less famous inventions included a grain harvester, a velocipede wagon, and a ‘combined hay rake and tedder’, which he invented when he was just 18! He lived off the proceeds of these devices until his finances were depleted, as he reinvested his earnings into new projects. His financial situation forced him to take a temporary evening job as a janitor, cleaning rugs in the Folwell Building. Lucky for us that he did - this was where the idea of a machine which would sweep up and remove the dust, without stirring it into the air, first came to him.

Q) How long until the vacuum business became successful?

A) Building up sales was a very gradual process; in 1908, Hoover found just 372 customers. During the years 1909-11, just over 2000 a year were sold. But in 1918, 70,000 Hoover cleaners found owners! By 1923, Hoover had sold their 1,000 000th cleaner. Hoover’s market was severely limited by the price of their product, and most significantly, by the fact that very few homes at this time were wired for electricity!

Q) What was the reaction from people when they saw a vacuum cleaner for the first time?

A) Curiosity, I suppose – as we will be when the first hover-cars appear for sale! When H C Booth first introduced his horse-drawn vacuum cleaner in Britain, society ladies would hold dinner parties while their house was being cleaned, so their friends could witness the spectacle of several long hoses being fed through the windows and doors of the house, while uniformed men did the cleaning! Owning a vacuum cleaner was the height of luxury, and became a status symbol among those who could afford them.

Q) How did Spangler and Hoover get along? How was Spangler compensated? Was he part owner or an employee? 

A) I’m not sure about Spangler’s relationship with Hoover - W H Hoover’s wife was Spangler’s cousin, so he was a member of Hoover’s extended family. Spangler was the Company Superintendent, on salary and royalties. He went on to design several other machines for the company, as well as many small improvements to the suction sweeper design. He died suddenly in January 1915, but his family continued to receive income generated by his many patents until 1925.

Q) Do you have any pictures of Spangler or Spangler working on the vacuums or Spangler and Hoover together?

A) Whenever Spangler is mentioned, online, in books etc, one particular photo is always used. This is the only one I know of:

Q) Did Hoover pioneer DTD or any other business ideas?

A) Hoover did pioneer door-to-door sales, and over its 100 years in existence so far, too many other business ideas for me to list! They led the way.

This message was modified Mar 6, 2009 by Model2

CarmineD

Reply #51   Mar 6, 2009 7:34 am
Model2 wrote:

Spangler.......was an inventor. His former, less famous inventions included a grain harvester, a velocipede wagon, and a ‘combined hay rake and tedder’, which he invented when he was just 18! He lived off the proceeds of these devices until his finances were depleted, as he reinvested his earnings into new projects. His financial situation forced him to take a temporary evening job as a janitor, cleaning rugs in the Folwell Building. Lucky for us that he did - this was where the idea of a machine which would sweep up and remove the dust, without stirring it into the air, first came to him.

As the story goes, J. Murray Spangler had severe allergies to dust and dirt.  So he was unable to get up close and personal with the dirt by using a broom and dust pan [the usual tools of the day].  Spangler's first portable vacuum was made of rudimentary objects that he put together into a vacuum.  After he acquired enough money he fitted the electric motor and bag to a manual carpet sweeper of the day.  These were in use for several decades by this time and sold commonly through the SEARS catalogue for just 5-6 times the cost of a broom [2 bits at the time].  Early vacuums even used the generic name "electric sweeper" in deference to its carpet sweeper roots.

Rather a motley looking picture of Mr. Spangler.  Probably in his early 50's. 

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #52   Mar 6, 2009 5:03 pm
One can only assume" Boss" Hoover spun in his grave faster than a windtunnel brushroller when the Chinese closed the Canton Plant...
DysonInventsBig

Reply #53   Mar 6, 2009 5:39 pm
Model2 wrote:

Q) Was Spangler a tinkerer prior to inventing the upright?

A) Yes, he was an inventor. His former, less famous inventions included a grain harvester, a velocipede wagon, and a ‘combined hay rake and tedder’, which he invented when he was just 18! He lived off the proceeds of these devices until his finances were depleted, as he reinvested his earnings into new projects. His financial situation forced him to take a temporary evening job as a janitor, cleaning rugs in the Folwell Building. Lucky for us that he did - this was where the idea of a machine which would sweep up and remove the dust, without stirring it into the air, first came to him.

Q) How long until the vacuum business became successful?

A) Building up sales was a very gradual process; in 1908, Hoover found just 372 customers. During the years 1909-11, just over 2000 a year were sold. But in 1918, 70,000 Hoover cleaners found owners! By 1923, Hoover had sold their 1,000 000th cleaner. Hoover’s market was severely limited by the price of their product, and most significantly, by the fact that very few homes at this time were wired for electricity!

Q) What was the reaction from people when they saw a vacuum cleaner for the first time?

A) Curiosity, I suppose – as we will be when the first hover-cars appear for sale! When H C Booth first introduced his horse-drawn vacuum cleaner in Britain, society ladies would hold dinner parties while their house was being cleaned, so their friends could witness the spectacle of several long hoses being fed through the windows and doors of the house, while uniformed men did the cleaning! Owning a vacuum cleaner was the height of luxury, and became a status symbol among those who could afford them.

Q) How did Spangler and Hoover get along? How was Spangler compensated? Was he part owner or an employee? 

A) I’m not sure about Spangler’s relationship with Hoover - W H Hoover’s wife was Spangler’s cousin, so he was a member of Hoover’s extended family. Spangler was the Company Superintendent, on salary and royalties. He went on to design several other machines for the company, as well as many small improvements to the suction sweeper design. He died suddenly in January 1915, but his family continued to receive income generated by his many patents until 1925.

Q) Do you have any pictures of Spangler or Spangler working on the vacuums or Spangler and Hoover together?

A) Whenever Spangler is mentioned, online, in books etc, one particular photo is always used. This is the only one I know of:

Q) Did Hoover pioneer DTD or any other business ideas?

A) Hoover did pioneer door-to-door sales, and over its 100 years in existence so far, too many other business ideas for me to list! They led the way.

Model2,

Wow!  I have to rush out, I will comment more later.

Many, many thanks,
DIB

CarmineD

Reply #54   Mar 7, 2009 7:29 am
Lucky1 wrote:
One can only assume" Boss" Hoover spun in his grave faster than a windtunnel brushroller when the Chinese closed the Canton Plant...

I'm not so sure.  Maybe for sentimental reasons.  Buy for practical reasons?  BOSS HOOVER was a practical business man.  The plant was over 100 years old.  What would it have taken to bring it up to current standards?  Alot.  Too much.  Raze and start over.  It was a good run.  Time to begin anew.

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #55   Mar 7, 2009 3:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I'm not so sure.  Maybe for sentimental reasons.  Buy for practical reasons?  BOSS HOOVER was a practical business man.  The plant was over 100 years old.  What would it have taken to bring it up to current standards?  Alot.  Too much.  Raze and start over.  It was a good run.  Time to begin anew.

Carmine D.

I can't see 'Boss' Hoover looking kindly on the termination of so many, many loyal workers' jobs. As someone who took such good care of his local community - as preacher, as mayor, as generous (and frequently anonymous) benefactor - I'm sure he would be just as disgusted with what happened as many of the rest of the rest of us were. When he passed away, two services had to be held to accomodate the sheer number of mourners who had travelled to pay their respects. He wasn't your average cold, ruthless 'captain of industry'. He was a real humanitarian, and I don't think he could fail to overlook the human impact caused by the closure of his beloved, century-old factory.

Not for nothing have the North Canton locals branded TTI 'Totally Tradition Ignorant'.

This message was modified Mar 7, 2009 by Model2

CarmineD

Reply #56   Mar 7, 2009 5:20 pm
BOSS HOOVER was a business man with a heart and a sense of service to his workers and the community.  All good business men know that things don't stay the same forever.  BOSS HOOVER was, after all, a leather goods man who reinvented himself and his business to survive.  He understood the need for practicalism and realism for business to survive and flourish.  

Carmine D.

Model2

Reply #57   Mar 7, 2009 5:39 pm
CarmineD wrote:
BOSS HOOVER was a business man with a heart and a sense of service to his workers and the community.  All good business men know that things don't stay the same forever.  BOSS HOOVER was, after all, a leather goods man who reinvented himself and his business to survive.  He understood the need for practicalism and realism for business to survive and flourish.  

Carmine D.

The company Boss Hoover built is long-since dead. It's just a name now. I suppose it must do what it can to survive.

Replies: 48 - 57 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42