Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Frieze,Beber and Shag, OH MY!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Frieze,Beber and Shag, OH MY!
Original Message   Feb 7, 2009 6:32 pm
On housekeeping, maintenance and carpet care sites are dire warnings NOT to use a rotating brush vacuum because it will 'untwist' and 'fuzzy' the tips.

On the Shaw site, it uses the word "shag" in quotation marks, implying cable,shag, and frieze fall under the same maintenance requirements.

So, what would your top picks be, both vacuums and attachments, for vacuuming frieze,cable, and shag carpet? Some include berber in this suction only maintenance category, along with handmade rugs. So, what do you say should be used, considering some carpets have a 10yr. appearance retention warranty provided the care instructions are followed.  

This message was modified Feb 7, 2009 by Trebor
Replies: 47 - 56 of 66Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Frieze,Beber and Shag, OH MY!
Reply #47   Feb 11, 2009 6:51 am
Thanks HS for the follow-up.  In the interest of brevity, I omitted several important details for the story of the NJ Lady.  During this time, there were many unscrupulous door-to-door vacuum salemen who spread false and vicious rumors about HOOVER upright vacuums and its patented beater bars.  Some of these salesmen made the rounds from one d-t-d vacuum brand to another.  With each vacuum brand they sold, telling customers, especially current HOOVER owners that the beater bars would wear out their rugs and carpets.  And also void their rug warranties with the carpet makers.  Some customers bought into the salesmen's lies and switched from HOOVER to the vacuum brand[s] they were selling.  Several such vacuum salesmen made their sales rounds to this NJ lady's home.  And, lo and behold perpetrated their lies showing her the proof positive of using a new HOOVER upright on her carpets.  She was too smart for them.  She had a vacuum cleaner store/owner who she had complete faith and trust in.  Me! 

The End.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #48   Feb 11, 2009 8:34 am
Carmine,

Thank you! You affirmed my point. The person who was able to make the determination that the carpet was defective and authorize replacement was not the princess' brave, handsome, debonair and elegant vacuum professional (sorry, I'm getting my stories mixed up) but the authorized representative from the carpet manufacturer! In this case he made a reasonable, carefully considered decision, based on the facts in front of him. It could have been otherwise for any number of reasons, and the heroine of the story would have had to have challenged the manufacturer  in court, which might have proved even better publicity for Hoover had they won, so they may have foot the bill for the court cost. Knowing that, (and that their product really was defective) may have influenced the representaive's deceision. It did not take as long for court cases to be heard then. (Sorry Carmine, not insinuating you are old, but the judicial system has not changed for the better in the last fifty years.)

Have a great day, everyone!

Trebor

CarmineD

Reply #49   Feb 11, 2009 8:57 am
Trebor wrote:
Carmine,

Thank you! You affirmed my point. Trebor

Bitte Schone! 

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #50   Feb 11, 2009 11:31 am
I don't know the motivator behind the act, but I do know the Mohawk carpet dealer in Macomb, IL used to give a Hoover vacuum with carpet purchase.  This was, however, back in 1980.  I moved from there the next year and I'm not even sure if they are still in business.  Back in the day you used to get something with purchase.  If you purchased furniture with end tables you got free Hager lamps.  Then again Hagar Pottery was based in Macomb and their outlet store was practically across the street.

In any case I don't know if they gave the Hoover because they were the best, or if they got the best price on them.  I would hardly see them giving a new Kirby on a purchase of $159 bedroom carpet.  Than again that was 30 years ago, I just had a co-worker do a complete recarpet of her home, total $10,000.  This is quite an investment and I understand why someone would worry about the warranty being honored.

This message was modified Feb 11, 2009 by Just
Trebor

Reply #51   Feb 11, 2009 2:47 pm
Thank you Carmine!

I am so glad we reached an understanding of each other's points. I was getting tired of canned worms and rose'

Peace,
Trebor

CarmineD

Reply #52   Feb 17, 2009 6:28 pm
HOOVER had a very good reason for inscribing on all its vacuums for many many years:

"HOOVER makes rugs last longer."

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #53   Feb 17, 2009 6:43 pm
And then, Hoover quit making the stainless steel beater bar as they began to cheapen their products. "Boss" Hoover will probably surface in China soon from spinning in his grave for so long. How awesome it would be to have the old Hoover company back, making their full line of products in  the USA employing American workers, and using their slogan, "Only the Hoover Cleaner Beats as it Sweeps as it Cleans."

Trebor

CarmineD

Reply #54   Feb 18, 2009 6:54 am
Trebor wrote:
And then, Hoover quit making the stainless steel beater bar as they began to cheapen their products. "Boss" Hoover will probably surface in China soon from spinning in his grave for so long. How awesome it would be to have the old Hoover company back, making their full line of products in  the USA employing American workers, and using their slogan, "Only the Hoover Cleaner Beats as it Sweeps as it Cleans."

Trebor

That would be the 60's and HOOVER management made a conscious decision to kow tow to the big box retailers at the expense of the independent vacuum store owners/operators. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #55   Feb 18, 2009 7:01 am
If HOOVER were a person we could say, the decisions we make affect the lives that we lead.  By kow towing to the bb stores, HOOVER , and others like it, set out on that slippery slope that leads us where it is today.  For better or worse, it is what it is.  Sadly others followed the same route and made the same mistakes rather than benefitting from HOOVER's past.  Some have not followed and kept true to their USA commitment.  Does the brand ORECK come to mind?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #56   Feb 18, 2009 7:05 am
Trebor wrote:
"Boss" Hoover will probably surface in China soon from spinning in his grave for so long.

Trebor

No. Boss would say I told you so.  Like looking at his creation, and deciding to start over.  Only Boss doesn't have Noah with an arc.

Carmine D. 

Replies: 47 - 56 of 66Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42