Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Frieze,Beber and Shag, OH MY!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Frieze,Beber and Shag, OH MY!
Original Message   Feb 7, 2009 6:32 pm
On housekeeping, maintenance and carpet care sites are dire warnings NOT to use a rotating brush vacuum because it will 'untwist' and 'fuzzy' the tips.

On the Shaw site, it uses the word "shag" in quotation marks, implying cable,shag, and frieze fall under the same maintenance requirements.

So, what would your top picks be, both vacuums and attachments, for vacuuming frieze,cable, and shag carpet? Some include berber in this suction only maintenance category, along with handmade rugs. So, what do you say should be used, considering some carpets have a 10yr. appearance retention warranty provided the care instructions are followed.  

This message was modified Feb 7, 2009 by Trebor
Replies: 41 - 50 of 66Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Frieze,Beber and Shag, OH MY!
Reply #41   Feb 10, 2009 1:13 pm
Many years ago, a lovely unmarried NJ lady decided to add wall-to-wall carpeting to her large home.  Having large area rugs already, she was a long time buyer and user of HOOVER upright vacuums.  When she made the conversion to wall-to-wall rugs, she naturally continued using her HOOVER upright which she promptly had serviced to ensure its peak performance.

After a few months, she noticed that the carpets looked like they were wearing and worn.  It dismayed her.  She returned to her favorite vacuum store and asked that they have another look at her HOOVER upright.  The store owner did a once over, replacing the belt and bag, and advising her that the HOOVER is as good as new and in perfect working order.

A few more months passed, and the rugs looked worse.  She called her vacuum store man and asked if he would make a service call to her house.   At the time, many independent vacuum store owners still did house calls.  A mutually agreeable time was made and he came.  Upon looking at the carpeting, he agreed that it appeared 10 times its age.  Inspecting the HOOVER vacuum, he gave it the thumbs up and advised the lady to contact the rug manufacturer.  She did and on the prescribed time a representative from the carpet maker came.   He looked at the carpeting and agreed it was old beyond its age.  He asked next to see the vacuum.  The homemaker accommodated and brought out her HOOVER upright.  While seeing nothing wrong with the HOOVER vacuum, he asked her how often she vacuumed.  She replied that being alone she vacuumed her rugs a few times weekly and did so for many years.  Still sceptical, he asked her how often she had her HOOVER vacuum serviced.  She quickly showed him the service records for her HOOVER vacuum.  After a quick inspection of these records, he agreed the carpeting was defective and it was completely replaced at no charge.

Shortly after that incident, and probably others like it, the carpet maker [and others too] started gifting new HOOVER upright vacuums with the sale of wall-to-wall carpeting.  A practice that continued for many years and still to a lesser degree continues to this day by some rug makers and rug retailers.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #42   Feb 10, 2009 4:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Many years ago, a lovely unmarried NJ lady decided to add wall-to-wall carpeting to her large home.  Having large area rugs already, she was a long time buyer and user of HOOVER upright vacuums.  When she made the conversion to wall-to-wall rugs, she naturally continued using her HOOVER upright which she promptly had serviced to ensure its peak performance.

After a few months, she noticed that the carpets looked like they were wearing and worn.  It dismayed her.  She returned to her favorite vacuum store and asked that they have another look at her HOOVER upright.  The store owner did a once over, replacing the belt and bag, and advising her that the HOOVER is as good as new and in perfect working order.

A few more months passed, and the rugs looked worse.  She called her vacuum store man and asked if he would make a service call to her house.   At the time, many independent vacuum store owners still did house calls.  A mutually agreeable time was made and he came.  Upon looking at the carpeting, he agreed that it appeared 10 times its age.  Inspecting the HOOVER vacuum, he gave it the thumbs up and advised the lady to contact the rug manufacturer.  She did and on the prescribed time a representative from the carpet maker came.   He looked at the carpeting and agreed it was old beyond its age.  He asked next to see the vacuum.  The homemaker accommodated and brought out her HOOVER upright.  While seeing nothing wrong with the HOOVER vacuum, he asked her how often she vacuumed.  She replied that being alone she vacuumed her rugs a few times weekly and did so for many years.  Still sceptical, he asked her how often she had her HOOVER vacuum serviced.  She quickly showed him the service records for her HOOVER vacuum.  After a quick inspection of these records, he agreed the carpeting was defective and it was completely replaced at no charge.

Shortly after that incident, and probably others like it, the carpet maker [and others too] started gifting new HOOVER upright vacuums with the sale of wall-to-wall carpeting.  A practice that continued for many years and still to a lesser degree continues to this day by some rug makers and rug retailers.

Carmine D.

I don't get it.  The carpet is defective so the carpet manufacturer decides to give away free Hoovers.  That would have been like Firestone giving free nitroge with those defective tires years ago. 
CarmineD

Reply #43   Feb 10, 2009 5:51 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I don't get it.  

Hello HARDSELL:

I'm not surprised that you don't get it even tho the facts are self-evident.  The carpet maker's representative was duly impressed by this NJ Lady and the facts and circumstances surrounding her story.  First, the lady's loyalty to her HOOVER vacuum.  Second, the lady's conscientiousness in vacuuming with her HOOVER weekly, even tho she lived alone.  Third, the lady had her HOOVER vacuum serviced religiously by the same vacuum professional, presumably an authorized HOOVER dealer.  Finally, he must have been impressed by the HOOVER vacuum's performance which was the definitive bases for his judgement that the carpeting was indeed defective.  He brought the story back with him to his boss.  The word spread.  Soon, the carpet maker [as well as other big US carpet makers] gifted HOOVER upright vacuums with its carpet sales.  If there is a connection or not, I can't say for sure.  But, there is a high degree of assurance that the lady's case had an impact on the actions and outcomes of the carpet maker[s]. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #44   Feb 10, 2009 7:13 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

I'm not surprised that you don't get it even tho the facts are self-evident.  The carpet maker's representative was duly impressed by this NJ Lady and the facts and circumstances surrounding her story.  First, the lady's loyalty to her HOOVER vacuum.  Second, the lady's conscientiousness in vacuuming with her HOOVER weekly, even tho she lived alone.  Third, the lady had her HOOVER vacuum serviced religiously by the same vacuum professional, presumably an authorized HOOVER dealer.  Finally, he must have been impressed by the HOOVER vacuum's performance which was the definitive bases for his judgement that the carpeting was indeed defective.  He brought the story back with him to his boss.  The word spread.  Soon, the carpet maker [as well as other big US carpet makers] gifted HOOVER upright vacuums with its carpet sales.  If there is a connection or not, I can't say for sure.  But, there is a high degree of assurance that the lady's case had an impact on the actions and outcomes of the carpet maker[s]. 

Carmine D.

Just as I suspected.  You have no facts.  Just an opinion.  Could it be that Hoover gave carpet manufacturers a sweetheart price on the vacuums just to flood the market with their and name.  Think of the publicity they gained.  Do you really believe that a manufacturer gives freebies with their products?
Those such as yourself fall for such BS marketing.  Seems as if the story is about the lady and not the brand.  OTH, All her efforts and the Hoover did not correct the defect. Do you really believe that a manufacturer gives freebies with their products.
CarmineD

Reply #45   Feb 10, 2009 7:22 pm
As I understand the facts HARDSELL, not only did the major US carpet makers gift new HOOVER upright vacuums with their w-t-w carpet sales, but they also recommended and sold new HOOVER upright vacuums exclusively at retail prices to the vacuum buying public.  And did so for many years. 

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #46   Feb 10, 2009 8:26 pm
CarmineD wrote:
As I understand the facts HARDSELL, not only did the major US carpet makers gift new HOOVER upright vacuums with their w-t-w carpet sales, but they also recommended and sold new HOOVER upright vacuums exclusively at retail prices to the vacuum buying public.  And did so for many years. 

Carmine D. 

What facts?  Did Hoover cut a deal with the carper industry?  You do not know.

Naturally you endorse a brand that was almost given to you then you start selling it.  MARKETING. 

Reminds me of those Orecks that are should sell for less than $100 if no freebies.

CarmineD

Reply #47   Feb 11, 2009 6:51 am
Thanks HS for the follow-up.  In the interest of brevity, I omitted several important details for the story of the NJ Lady.  During this time, there were many unscrupulous door-to-door vacuum salemen who spread false and vicious rumors about HOOVER upright vacuums and its patented beater bars.  Some of these salesmen made the rounds from one d-t-d vacuum brand to another.  With each vacuum brand they sold, telling customers, especially current HOOVER owners that the beater bars would wear out their rugs and carpets.  And also void their rug warranties with the carpet makers.  Some customers bought into the salesmen's lies and switched from HOOVER to the vacuum brand[s] they were selling.  Several such vacuum salesmen made their sales rounds to this NJ lady's home.  And, lo and behold perpetrated their lies showing her the proof positive of using a new HOOVER upright on her carpets.  She was too smart for them.  She had a vacuum cleaner store/owner who she had complete faith and trust in.  Me! 

The End.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #48   Feb 11, 2009 8:34 am
Carmine,

Thank you! You affirmed my point. The person who was able to make the determination that the carpet was defective and authorize replacement was not the princess' brave, handsome, debonair and elegant vacuum professional (sorry, I'm getting my stories mixed up) but the authorized representative from the carpet manufacturer! In this case he made a reasonable, carefully considered decision, based on the facts in front of him. It could have been otherwise for any number of reasons, and the heroine of the story would have had to have challenged the manufacturer  in court, which might have proved even better publicity for Hoover had they won, so they may have foot the bill for the court cost. Knowing that, (and that their product really was defective) may have influenced the representaive's deceision. It did not take as long for court cases to be heard then. (Sorry Carmine, not insinuating you are old, but the judicial system has not changed for the better in the last fifty years.)

Have a great day, everyone!

Trebor

CarmineD

Reply #49   Feb 11, 2009 8:57 am
Trebor wrote:
Carmine,

Thank you! You affirmed my point. Trebor

Bitte Schone! 

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #50   Feb 11, 2009 11:31 am
I don't know the motivator behind the act, but I do know the Mohawk carpet dealer in Macomb, IL used to give a Hoover vacuum with carpet purchase.  This was, however, back in 1980.  I moved from there the next year and I'm not even sure if they are still in business.  Back in the day you used to get something with purchase.  If you purchased furniture with end tables you got free Hager lamps.  Then again Hagar Pottery was based in Macomb and their outlet store was practically across the street.

In any case I don't know if they gave the Hoover because they were the best, or if they got the best price on them.  I would hardly see them giving a new Kirby on a purchase of $159 bedroom carpet.  Than again that was 30 years ago, I just had a co-worker do a complete recarpet of her home, total $10,000.  This is quite an investment and I understand why someone would worry about the warranty being honored.

This message was modified Feb 11, 2009 by Just
Replies: 41 - 50 of 66Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42