Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 545 - 554 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Reply #545   Jan 27, 2009 4:45 pm
mole wrote:
This makes for nice sounding,SOUND bites for advertising, Oh look we saved $ 8.00  A year on bags ,Why dont they tell us much the lifetime filters cost to replace once a year.

Im getting real tired of rug sucker HYPE and the con job this industry has become.

MOLE

My DC07 filter did not need replacing after 3 years.  Can't say that about pleated filters though.

Decicions Decisions. Does one sacrifice cleaning power to avoid a replacement filter or get the ultiimate Dyson cleaning power and buy a filter occasionally?

You are right about the sucker HYPE.  Seems to spew like dirt from those with the most to gain from bashing Dyson.

M00seUK

Reply #546   Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm
Trilobite wrote:

...these bags had draw-strings, similar to the polybags in which ladies' make-up removal, cottonwool b-a-l-l-s are sometimes sold.

Oh gawd - is this forum filtering that B-word??
HARDSELL

Reply #547   Jan 27, 2009 4:51 pm
Trebor wrote:
 All of this ballyhoo over a vacuum cleaner that is now all but one more chapter in history?

James Dyson is a brillant conceptual engineer, but he is not a design engineer to nearly the same degree. He designed a new concept around a vacuum cleaner. What his imitators are doing now is designing their vacuum cleaners around what is now a commonplace concept.  Mr. Dyson made vacuums that are novel, and admittedly fuctional in that they maintain their cleaning power much longer than vacuums equipped with the paper bags of approximately 20 years ago. However, by no stretch of the imagination did he build vacuum cleaners which are attractive (downright fanny ugly) nor convenient, not compared to many he had to compete against. To avoid having a height adjustment he designed a failure-prone clutch assembly which is not inexpensive to repair. (Oh ye who dibelieve, talk to the vac shops waiting on repair parts on back order from Dyson) The hose/wand is inconvenient (Actually his imitator, Amway, had the optimum solution, a lever to switch suction from floor to hose, and a short stetch hose with a crevice tool on board. The addition of a telescopic wand, dust brush, and upholstery tool on board would have allowed the operator to vacuum with the vacuum handle in one hand, and the hose/wand in the other and switch from one to the other with the flick of a toe. The Sharp bagless had this arrangement, and it is the most convenient upright to use simultaneuoslty with OBT of any that have ever been manufactured. Eureka/Lux has a few BUT, the switch from floor to above-the-floor is acheived with a dial which must be operated by hand.

The important issue to remember is that the bagless concept has now been rendered obsolete by the new bags made from 3M Filtrete paper/cloth. They have been proved in Miele, Sanitaire, Kirby and other brands to maintain nealy 100% of their initial cleaning power as they fill with dirt. The dirt in these bags is compacted as the bag fills, in the bagless machines it is fluffed and looks like more than it really is. If you don't have to change the bags as often as you would have to empty a dirt container, and if the bags are more sanitary and convenient, what are the advantages of a bagless unit, even a Dyson? Cost? It is just paper, not hide flayed from anyone's back. Does anyone track how much bathroom tissue, facial tissue, paper plates and paper towels they use annually? If not, what is all the fuss and to-do about the cost of 6 to 8 bags a year? Nothing but hype, and it is ludicrous. James Dyson you have had your 15min of fame, is that all you've got?

If it wasn't so serious I would find it ludicrous that an independent would sell a customer something that he knew would require annual repair or maintenance costs.
Trilobite

Reply #548   Jan 27, 2009 4:54 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Oh gawd - is this forum filtering that B-word??

Yes, and it is a pain in the bahookey!
CarmineD

Reply #549   Jan 27, 2009 5:41 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Agreed that emptying bagless is not the most pleasant task.  Changing bags is no more pleasant.  It is apparent that you are as fond of Dyson as Carmine.  Find the perfect vacuum and report to us.

Hey HARDSELL:

You have to do the former, dirt bin dumping, much more frequently and as often as daily.  The latter, bag replacement, every month or longer.  Add periodic filter maintenance/replacement for those lifetime filters too in dysons.  Dah!  That's Trebor's point.  Of course, you have to be able to read and comprehend to understand it.  Fortunately for the illiterate, dyson provides 2 huge pages of illustrations to show users the proper way to dump a dirt bin so as not to get more dirt back in your face than in the trash.

I'm sure if any vacuum were named for you other than a dyson we would have to hear ad nauseam about your fondness for a DC07, which BTW you proudly sold after 3 years to buy a bagged Royal Emminence. 

Now tell us why dyson sales have tanked in the UK and world wide if they are as good as you would like us to believe!  Better yet, don't bother.  Here's an answer even you can understand with no mental exercise.  Users sell dysons after a few years, if they're lucky enough, and use the proceeds to buy bagged vacuums instead.  Dah!   

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by CarmineD
Trebor

Reply #550   Jan 27, 2009 6:58 pm
Hardsell,

You still have not answered the question about bags made of Fitrete material holding much more dirt while losing very little suction when compared to regular bags. That was the major advantage Dyson had. Please tell me why would someone buy a Dyson NOW, over a bagged vaccum with filtrete bags. What are the advantages, besides not having to buy bags and filters?

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by Trebor
dusty

Reply #551   Jan 27, 2009 11:03 pm
Trebor wrote:

That was the major advantage Dyson had. Please tell me why would someone buy a Dyson NOW, over a bagged vaccum with filtrete bags. What are the advantages, besides not having to buy bags and filters?

From my experience it's not the "no loss of suction" that sells Dysons it's simply the fact you don't buy bags or filters.  I had a customer today that chose a DC25 over a Riccar for that very reason.  I think that until the price of Filtrete bags drop substantially, Dyson will always have a market for their product....that and the fact that men think they're cool looking and for some reason have no problem spending bigger dollars on Dysons than they do anything else.  To this date, we've yet to sell a Dyson handvac to a woman....all male customers.

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #552   Jan 28, 2009 7:57 am
Hello Dusty:

Just curious, how many of your dyson bagless customers, like the one mentioned, have household pets and still choose a dyson over a bagged/filtrete brand?  In the USA, the US Humane Society estimates 74 million households have one or more furry friends.  What about Canada?  Any figures on pets? 

I spend about $100 every two weeks on a special diabetic food for my English lab and have for over 7 years [the price has doubled in that time].  I have no problem kicking in a few extra bucks for filtrette vacuum bags so my dear Wife's allergies and sinuses are not bothered by our dog.  NOt sure how many in the USA suffer from severe allergy conditions.  Maybe 30 plus million?  And how many of those also have pets [likely buyers of filtrette paper].  Because of my Wife's condition, I can't use a bagless vacuum in our home once the tell tale pet odor sets into the vacuum.  With our long haired English lab breed it happens in short order.  Let an undumped dirt bin stay on the cleaner for a few days, and the smell is in the vacuum.

PS: I understand the new occupants of the White House plan to have a pet.  But one of the lovely daughters is allergic to pet hair and dander.  So it's making the pet find rather difficult.  SEBO is the vacuum brand, I understand for the WH, so I think they are okay in the vacuum department.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 28, 2009 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #553   Jan 28, 2009 10:13 am
CarmineD wrote:
:Just curious, how many of your dyson bagless customers, like the one mentioned, have household pets and still choose a dyson over a bagged/filtrete brand?  In the USA, the US Humane Society estimates 74 million households have one or more furry friends.  What about Canada?  Any figures on pets?

I have no problem kicking in a few extra bucks for filtrette vacuum bags so my dear Wife's allergies and sinuses are not bothered by our dog.  NOt sure how many in the USA suffer from severe allergy conditions.  Maybe 30 plus million?  And how many of those also have pets [likely buyers of filtrette paper].  Because of my Wife's condition, I can't use a bagless vacuum in our home once the tell tale pet odor sets into the vacuum.  With our long haired English lab breed it happens in short order.  Let an undumped dirt bin stay on the cleaner for a few days, and the smell is in the vacuum.
According to Statistics Canada, there are approximately 3.5 million dogs and 4.5 million cats in the country. About half of all households have at least one pet.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will not spend the extra dollars (on vacuum related product) to provide some relief of allergies.  I seem to remember a post here from someone who bought a Miele for their allergies then bemoaned the cost of bags and actually considered buying something else.  For those of us in the business, we get that filtrete works and that it's worth the extra money.  For the majority of consumers filtrete is just another way to get more money out of them for something they don't enjoy doing (vacuuming) in the first place.  They'd much rather be buying an Ipod or a Blue Ray player rather than worrying about finding and buying bags...even if it will help with their allergies.  Until Joe Consumer gets what we do, their will always be a market for Dysons and all other bagless vacs.

Dusty
This message was modified Jan 28, 2009 by dusty
Trebor

Reply #554   Jan 28, 2009 11:31 am
Dusty,

Isn't that just absolutely nuts the way people moan about the cost of vac bags? I have gotten to the point where I actually ask people if they ration toilet paper or paper towels. When I point out that they spend way more on those items which make their lives more snaitary and convenient, they usually nod and say, "You're right"

I also point out that the cost of motor oil is the cost of prolonging the useful life of their vehicle. The cost of bags is the cost of prolonging the useful life of their carpet, and reducing the frequency of professional cleaning. It's not a big deal. And if they talk about landfill, etc. Gotcha! disposable vacs pile up faster than full dustbags. Bags are the safe,clean, sanitary way to go

Replies: 545 - 554 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42