Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > NEW Hoover Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
vaclov

NEW Hoover Upright
Original Message   Jan 23, 2009 11:02 pm
I don't know if anyone has seen this but I think I like it better just by hearing how it sounds, seems much more quiet than the Oreck. This vacuum comes with a 6 year warranty at only $399, pretty good deal. Sorry if this was posted already.

HSN Video:
http://home-solutions.hsn.com/hoover-platinum-collection-lightweight-bagged-upright-vacuum-with-handheld-canister-vac_p-4709906_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=4709906&sf=hw&attr=644&ocm=HW|644&prev=hp!sf!644&ccm=HW|644
Replies: 51 - 60 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: NEW Hoover Upright
Reply #51   Jan 27, 2009 2:02 pm
Hey HARDSELL:

Do you think DIB would tell a half-truth here about dysons? 

My reference that you quote referred to my own assessment of dyson's limp brush bar going back to April 2002 when I first saw it.  It was met as heresy here by many pro-dyson folks.  Now even dyson and its biggest advocates admit the brush bar [like the clutch fail safety feature] is its weakest link.  Hence the brush bar was scrubbed on later models in favor of a more industry standard brush roll.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #52   Jan 27, 2009 2:09 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Why not just give them a new vacuum as opposed to used? 

Here's another question I answered many times before for you.  I do gift new vacuums too.  Like the 3 new ORECK XL-s.  But only after I use and they meet my approval.   

I really enjoy bananas and never buy them green!  And we were all monkies even before dyson came on the scene.  Read Darwin's Theory of Evolution.  Monkey is in our genes.  Yours too, perhaps more so than others. Especially based on your analogy of high rate of divorces to purchases of many and different vacuum brands! Marriage breakups and buying different brand vacuums every year are related physiologically and pschycologically?  Really?  With your high degree of vacuum indecision, deception by anyone, save yourself,  is a moot point.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #53   Jan 27, 2009 2:32 pm
Carmine,

Thanks for the link to my3cents.  I found it on an earlier search and could not connect.

How many interpretations could be made from the story?

The writer did not mention the style of carpet.  Could it be one of those that Mohawk recommends being cleaned with straight suction?  One such as yourself should be aware that some styles (as berber) are prone to damage easily if snagged.  By anything.

The article only stated that Mohawk was not responsible for damage by the sweeper.  No mention of Dyson specific.  Do you think that Mohawk asked what brand vacuum was being used?  Did they simply refuse warranty that was not a manufacture defect. Vacuum makers specifically state that liquids are not to be vacuumed.  No need to specify which liquids.  No need to specify brands if your warranty recommends straight suction.  Again, I hope your Oreck does no carpet damage. 

On a recent visit to a Hi Fi store I stopped next door at a flooring center.  They sell Mohawk floor products.  When I inquired about the warranty exclusion the owner gave me a blank stare and replied that he had never heard this.

Before typing this I call one of our major floor centers (Mohawk retailer).  I received a laugh and was told that Mohawk had never mentioned this to them.  If it is in the warranty one would think that a major retailer would know this and communicate it to their customers either before or after the purchase.

I choose not to make judgement on one highly interpretive story over thousands of positive reviews and highly satisfied users.

Just for the record.  Do carpet makers exclude damages from the brush that can't be turned off and is left running in on spot?  Please tell me this can't happen because my wife's former boss had it happen in his home.  I believe his house keeper was using a HOOVER.

HARDSELL

Reply #54   Jan 27, 2009 2:38 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hey HARDSELL:

Do you think DIB would tell a half-truth here about dysons? 

My reference that you quote referred to my own assessment of dyson's limp brush bar going back to April 2002 when I first saw it.  It was met as heresy here by many pro-dyson folks.  Now even dyson and its biggest advocates admit the brush bar [like the clutch fail safety feature] is its weakest link.  Hence the brush bar was scrubbed on later models in favor of a more industry standard brush roll.

Carmine D.

Your reference to Mohawk's declined warranty is quite the opposite of your assessment of Dyson's brush.

It reads:  Mohawk suggest a beater bar for the carpet. They say the Dyson' brushed are two stiff.

One of you is wrong.  Do we believe an egotistical old fart or a major manufacturer?  BTW, you seem to think this manufacturer is very knowledgeable.  Wonder if they would say the same about you.

HARDSELL

Reply #55   Jan 27, 2009 2:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hey HARDSELL:

On this one, I follow your lead.  I asked you several times why if you liked a DC07 so much, did you sell after 3 years?  And not buy another dyson, but instead 2 other brands:  Kirby Sentria, Royal Emminence, and now HOOVER Whisper.  Not that I have anthing bad ro say about these choices.  They are all fine choices if you can't make up your mind.  Youe answer was that when you're good and ready, you'll buy another dyson.   Personally I'd say you're working/waiting on another as a gift.  I have a DC07 pink! 

When I'm so inclined, I'll exit here.  Glory and/or humiliation will probably play no part.  Neither will your and dyson's hoping.

BTW, truths are truths whether or not anyone believes and falsehoods are falsehoods even if all believe.  Opinions by their nature are biased.  I have my share and so do you.  And we both express them here.  Readers and posters in need of assistance can pick and choose what and who they wish to follow. 

If there are any of your points that I may have missed, please let me know.  Always happy to accomodate you, my friend. 

Carmine D.

Carmine, please accept my sincerest apology.  I was referencing the humilation of the Z.  I have never and hope to never wish ill happenings to any individual.  Yes, we have some heated disagreements but there is no animosity on my part.  Hope you feel the same.  Regardless you are still a bonehead. 

Have a pleasant afternoon and keep those insults coming.

Trebor

Reply #56   Jan 27, 2009 2:46 pm
First of all, the quote "All great truths begin as heresies" was not posted by Carmine, he copied and pasted MY post.

Second, I did not give the quote in its entirety "History warns us that it is the customary fate of new truths to begin as heresies and to end as superstitions.
Thomas Huxley"

Ask any physicist (or astronomer) about the validity of that statement, or look at Hoover. The beater bar was the heresy that actually turned out to be the great truth,(and still is except for glue down carpet.) The stainless steel beater bar had softer bristles, and was actually gentler on carpet than stiff bristles with no beater bar. The fact that the beater bar has fallen into disuse as an old-fashioned idea does not change its effectiveness. When the Electrolux plant was still in Bristol,VA, their test carpets were cleaned with a contraption that was like a giant inside-out Hoover 700, with the test carpets actually fed into its mouth and passed out its-actually it worked quite well. The engineers agreed that Hoover was right about the effectiveness of the beater bar, however, the carpet or rug had to be picked up off the floor and held by the nozzle as the vacuum was pushed back and forth, not possible with a power nozzle, at least not a really maneuverable one. At one time "The earth moves around the sun", "gravity pulls all objects equally", and "the earth is a sphere" were ALL heresies worthy of death to any who dared speak them. And there still is a flat earth society whose members believe that the appollo missions to the moon were all faked. Anyone here want a membership application snail-mailed to them?

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by Trebor
CarmineD

Reply #57   Jan 27, 2009 2:51 pm
Hey HARDSELL:

Seems you settled down.

The facts and circumstances are there for all to read and interpret as they like, if they like.  You too.  They can verify with Mohawk and dyson and not take my word or any other.  I mentioned to you that a large regional rug and appliance retailer here in LV recommended against dyson on the rugs I have.   Suggesting HOOVER and others with a manual height adjustment.  My ORECK works fine.  No rug height adjustment!  But ORECK is lighter than full sized vacuums and doesn't get buried down in the rug pile.  I told you too that my builder and his floor/rug contractor recommended against dysons on the rugs that residents and I have in our homes in my community.  Citing instead HOOVER and ORECK.  Maybe due to the fact that these brands are approved by the Carpet and Rug Institute and dyson is not.  BTW, the CRI cite is referenced in the link I provided to you too.  This is all rehashed information I've told you a half dozen times before.  I didn't make it up.  You can choose to believe or disbelieve.  Just like my Mohawk wool carpets. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #58   Jan 27, 2009 3:01 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Your reference to Mohawk's declined warranty is quite the opposite of your assessment of Dyson's brush.

It reads:  Mohawk suggest a beater bar for the carpet. They say the Dyson' brushed are two stiff.

One of you is wrong.  Do we believe an egotistical old fart or a major manufacturer?  BTW, you seem to think this manufacturer is very knowledgeable.  Wonder if they would say the same about you.

Hello HARDSELL:

Simple explanation, believe it or not.  It's my interpretation. 

This is a non-vacuum industry person providing his interpretation of the exchange with dyson/rug retailer.  I take this to mean that his dyson Animal is a DC17 not DC07, but it doesn't say for sure.  Especially since the poster's date is August 2008 more in time with the DC17.  And like dyson told me, disconnect the brush roll/use straight suction and/or attachments [on the rug!!!].  The poster was probably told the same by dyson.  And the poster says Mohawk recommended a beater bar.  I interpret this as a revolving brush not straight suction.  But the brushes on the dyson [DC17] are too stiff and cause damage.  If you research the other link I provided, the model in question is a DC17.   But the rug distributor does not make the voided warranty model specific instead disallowing all models by that brand.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #59   Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HARDSELL:

Simple explanation, believe it or not.  It's my interpretation. 

This is a non-vacuum industry person providing his interpretation of the exchange with dyson/rug retailer.  I take this to mean that his dyson Animal is a DC17 not DC07, but it doesn't say for sure.  Especially since the poster's date is August 2008 more in time with the DC17.  And like dyson told me, disconnect the brush roll/use straight suction and/or attachments [on the rug!!!].  The poster was probably told the same by dyson.  And the poster says Mohawk recommended a beater bar.  I interpret this as a revolving brush not straight suction.  But the brushes on the dyson [DC17] are too stiff and cause damage.  If you research the other link I provided, the model in question is a DC17.   But the rug distributor does not make the voided warranty model specific instead disallowing all models by that brand.

Carmine D.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why  some people appear
    bright until you hear them speak.
CarmineD

Reply #60   Jan 27, 2009 5:28 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Light travels faster than sound. That's why  some people appear
    bright until you hear them speak.

..............and for a very limited few, their brilliance radiates like the sunshine!  But, of course, one must be able to read and comprehend to understand and appreciate them!  Since you didn't know and asked me the question, which I answered and explained to you in very short order, figure out who is who.  Take your time before you answer.  I don't want you to have to change your mind [again].

Carmine D.

Replies: 51 - 60 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42