Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 510 - 519 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Reply #510   Jan 23, 2009 7:07 am
Thanks DIB for the clarification. But who said anything about country!  Heritage:  Origins by birthright.  Korea:  A former country in East Asia, on a penisula SE of Manchuria and between the Sea of Japan and the Yellow Sea: a kingdom prior to 1910 and under Japanese rule 1910-1945.  Both peoples, Korean and Japanese, share the common bonds of Altaic language and Asian race.

Sony [Japan] and Samsung [Korea] are the electronics leaders of the world.  Why?  Heritage! 

Watched the inauguration? Did you see the exuberant celebrations of the peoples in Africa.  Why?  Heritage!   

PS:  Heritage transcends borders, governments and oceans.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 23, 2009 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #511   Jan 23, 2009 11:39 am

Although hopefully not widespread, business operating in the countries of the far east have somewhat of a reputation for unethical practices. Bear witness to the Chinese baby milk scandal in the news this week, which caused sickness in 300,000 infants and the deaths of six. I think the last thing we should be doing is going easy on businesses that try to push their luck in taking short cuts to profit...

This message was modified Jan 23, 2009 by M00seUK
CarmineD

Reply #512   Jan 23, 2009 12:27 pm
Hi M00seUK:

Firstly, dyson presumes that all copy right infringements are deliberate and wiifull wrongdoings by others against it whether they are or not.  Samsung?  Really?  I don't believe it.  Innocent oversight and mistake?  Most probably.  That would be my opinion.  What was the heinous effect of this?  Anyone die?  Anyone get sick?  Any loss of money?  Any lose of vacuum market share?  No.  Just, ego.

Secondly, based on historical record no other human race IMHO metes out justice more sternly for wrongdoings [business/human] than Asians.  Not with litigiousity.  It's not their nature as it is with Americans.  Their loyalty to heritage is such that bringing shame upon oneself and one's family in the eyes of others, whether in business or life, may cause ending his/her own life as penance.  That's not my perception of going easy.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #513   Jan 23, 2009 1:31 pm
M00seUK wrote:

Although hopefully not widespread, business operating in the countries of the far east have somewhat of a reputation for unethical practices. Bear witness to the Chinese baby milk scandal in the news this week, which caused sickness in 300,000 infants and the deaths of six. I think the last thing we should be doing is going easy on businesses that try to push their luck in taking short cuts to profit...

Hi M00seUK,

Carmine and I have already voted in favor of a neck-tie party.  Not meaning to be humorous about it,I'll add that  I read recently that at least one participant has been sentenced to death due the scandal.  It is not my wish that participants in pure sin even of this degree have their heads lopped off.  What would be satisfying is that company's and persons involved in these stupid schemes be made to make some kind of restitution -- though there is no restitution for for the dead or mamed.

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #514   Jan 23, 2009 2:01 pm
Moose,

Every government is dirty.  It comes down to just how much and who gets caught and who gets away with it. Japan’s Government is dirty for sure!  I recently watched the Hillary Clinton Secretary of State conformation hearings. A Senator from the East Coast asked for help in dealing with the Japanese government. The Senator spoke of a manufacturer in her state that manufacturers large printing presses. She said a Japanese manufacturer was “dumping” their printing presses here in America. The American manufacturer had to go to court to complain of unfair trade practices which they won. The Japanese government retaliated against this American manufacture and they (can’t remember exactly) change laws or simply did what it took to help their manufacturer acquire and take all assets/Japanese assets that belong to this American manufacture. The senator complained that our current administration has done nothing to help her manufacturer and she was asking Hillary Clinton if or when she becomes Secretary of State if she would help her with this matter.

Carmen,
 Your loathing of Mr. Dyson is getting the best of you. Most would side with the David’s when they come up against Goliath’s, but not you.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #515   Jan 23, 2009 5:43 pm
Hi DIB:

Are you speaking of David the Isrealite who defeated Goliath the Philistine in the Valley of Elah or David of ORECK who defeated Goliath of bagless in the market of vacuums. 

BTW, COSTCO stores are pushing brand new DC14 Animal for $350 a pop.  I was told by staff at one store that they are not even getting a look by customers.  Vacuum buyers walk right past.

PS:  Samsung is Korean not Japanese!  Is today your opposite day again? 

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #516   Jan 23, 2009 7:00 pm
I've been known to make fun of vacuum manufacturers who choose to be innovative lazy.... and there's plenty of them.

DIB, do mean too lazy to innovate? or innovatively lazy.? Either is grammatically correct. The first implies slothfulness, the second ingenuity.

Trebor

DysonInventsBig

Reply #517   Jan 23, 2009 7:24 pm
Trebor wrote:
I've been known to make fun of vacuum manufacturers who choose to be innovative lazy.... and there's plenty of them.

DIB, do mean too lazy to innovate? or innovatively lazy.? Either is grammatically correct. The first implies slothfulness, the second ingenuity.

Trebor

I played around with the words... innovative vs. innovatively vs. innovative[ly].  Websters did not show “innovatively”, so I went with innovative.

I played around with slothful too.  What do you think?...  Innovative[ly].

Many mfgs. are innovative[ly] slothful.  Of course many simply fail to appreciate the value in innovation and some are arrogant too.  Have you ever looked at the inventors names on the U.S. vacuum patents?  They are (or used to be) all in house engineers.  Many great ideas come from the outside, yet mfgs. do not purchase or license outside ideas.

Thanks,
DIB

Trebor

Reply #518   Jan 23, 2009 10:33 pm
DIB,

How well I know the resistance manufacturers have to any input from the outside, from design to advertising.

It has expired, but there is a patent with my name on it. I can look up the number and post it if you are interested. (This was pre-Reagan when it was possible to get a patent for under 1,000 dollars. )Reagan increased the cost out of the range of the average working schmuck, and so most patents are by engineers working for multi-nationals. The easiest way to aquire a US patent now is to file overseas and get it by reciprocity.

In addition to the above, I designed a tube/wand assembly that would essentialy give OBT convenience to power nozzle canisters, so a crumb, a corner, a cobweb could be whisked out 'on the fly 'without a disconnect at all. Rexair looked at it because the wives of several RGD's who saw it raved about it (one said it was the best invention since the vibrator! I found out later she actually meant the power nozzle) No dice, because it was from the outside. James Berkeley, an engineer at Electrolux was working on something similar, when I showed him my concept, he liked it better. James McCain, the chief of operations at the time, had me flown in to address his engineering team, the ONLY person in 80 years ever accorded that particular distinction. Three days of presentations, 8hrs a day. There was a lot to talk about!  Mr.McCain wanted so badly to bring innovative product to the market place and see Electrolux recapture and exceed its glory days of over 600 branches in the US alone.

There was to have been a field product development team, headed by yours truly. But Joe Urso sold us all down the river, including the veterans who trusted him with their 401Ks accrued from the days of Lux as a division of Consolidated Foods (Sara Lee). Most of them have died off by now, and there was talk of some widows getting up a class action lawsuit, but I never heard anything more about it. If there is a hell, Joe P. Urso deserves the hotseat at the left hand of Beelzubub himself. He destroyed an American icon for nothing more than senseless greed, but I digress.

I attempted once more to sell my concept of the OBT instant on tool wand to MD mfg. and was told that people spending 1500.00 or more for a vac system with sweep inlets would not spend an additional 100 to 150.00 to increase the convenience of using the system for instant spot cleaning with no disconnect of the wand, or even having to stand it up vertically. The problem is that most engineers who design products used primarily by women are-MEN who just don't understand the variety and complexity of routine monotonous tasks the average woman, employed or not, performs daily as her lot in life. It's why they multi-task better than we do, guys! It's the estrogen factor, get over it. Any married guys, ask your wife about the validity of my last statement.

CarmineD

Reply #519   Jan 24, 2009 8:24 am
M00seUK wrote:

Although hopefully not widespread, business operating in the countries of the far east have somewhat of a reputation for unethical practices. Bear witness to the Chinese baby milk scandal in the news this week, which caused sickness in 300,000 infants and the deaths of six. I think the last thing we should be doing is going easy on businesses that try to push their luck in taking short cuts to profit.

According to the latest news:  The company is bankrupt.  The two male execs got the death penalty.  The Chairlady got life in prison.  3 others involved got 5-15 years with no chance of payroll.  One of the 6 tried to commit suicide before the trial by jumping off a building, and was left permanently paralyzed.  Friends and family of the 6 victims were not allowed any where close to the trial.  Authorities feared that they would take justice into their own hands.  One such person was quoted to say even killing and dismembering the perpetrators' bodies are not adequate punishment for the crime.  It would not surprise me if the jailed perpetrators meet with an untimely death at their own hands or those of their inmates.  Disgracing one's honor is tantamount to a death sentence.

BTW, for APPLE followers, the SEC lawyers have opened an informal investigation into APPLE's handling of the Jobs's health issues and its official news report releases.  Depending on the outcome, the SEC may launch a formal investigation.  I suspect it will happen.  Some say APPLE was pushing its luck by shortchanging stockholders and stakeholders with honest information.  Why?  Profit motive.  Jobs is APPLE.  If he's out, APPLE suffers.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 24, 2009 by CarmineD
Replies: 510 - 519 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42