Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 493 - 502 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Reply #493   Jan 20, 2009 4:12 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Venson,

Mocking Dyson in the past would certainly frame my conversations somewhat differently.  Are you going non-mocking of Dyson from here on out?

Re: lazy manufacturing.
You had to travel half way around the world to Electrolux as your premiere example of - vacuum makers are not lazy.  Certainly the U.S. vac makers of the last 10 years did little to nothing...  This is about it...  Turn vac on > the 70-80 year old brush roll does it’s thing > motor suctions > and a bag filters.  Am I missing something?  Certainly this is how the masses viewed a vacuum cleaners function until Dyson.

DIB

Hi DIB,

Of course not.  Though you may consder my having a chuckle or two due to Dyson stories that I find peculiar as blasphemous -- Dyson is not God.  Nor is any other vacuum manufacturer.

AND -- you mention only my mention of Electrolux. AND -- how did I go halfway round the world pointing a vacuum that has been literally historic for decades upon decades here in the United
States?  To go into detail about years and years of  innovation and invention regarding all the other vacuums brands I listed would be redundant and boring here as there are so many veteran sales and repair people here who through personal experience know these brands and their history thoroughly.

As well, trust me the masses are no wiser with the coming of Dyson.  Quoting MOLE again -- to the larger part of us a vacuum is still just a vacuum.  There is still a large large amount of the public that ask, "What do I need a vacuum for?  I don't have any rugs."  When a vacuum is acquired the main issue of "function" remains whatever the buyer needs it to do not what must be done to protect the investment or prolong its service. 

What changed with bagless option,  in general,l is that people are led to believe there  is NO maintneance required.  The person on the floor in stores where these machines are being sold usually feels no great need to go into detail beyond, "You just take off the container and dump it." 

I have a cousin -- well educated no less -- that has the same idea and came by it honest.  Her mother, whom I loved dearly was probably one of the greatest vacuum killers I've ever known.   New or used, high-end, low-end, built like a battle ship or of flimsy plastic -- any vacuum that made six months in her house merited somebody's seal of approval.  Apple not falling far from the tree, her aforementioned offspring didn't splurge on a Dyson, just a low priced DirtDevil.  Seems it didn't strike her to empty the machine much or check the drive belt. When I pointed this out her reply was, "But it's bagless!"  

The upside to all this was, any family Cousin Venson belongs to need not fear or despair regarding the ills of their vacuum . . . I fixed it and its working well again.  BUT I can't belong to everyone.

Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #494   Jan 20, 2009 5:58 pm
Hi Venson,

Agreed, having a laugh is not blaspheme.

Steve Jobs once said...  “Give people what they want most.”  ... it is the “most” part that vac manufacturers have not quite figured out.  Dyson did.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #495   Jan 20, 2009 7:04 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hi Venson,

Steve Jobs once said...  “Give people what they want most.”  ... it is the “most” part that vac manufacturers have not quite figured out.  Dyson did.

DIB

As an aside on your quote, DIB, hopefully Jobs will follow his own advice and speak candidly with his stakeholders and stockholders who want to know about his health concerns and issues.  As a CEO who is singularly identified with APPLE, he owes them honesty and forthrightness.  So far, he hasn't provided them with the information they need to know about his future with the company.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2009 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #496   Jan 21, 2009 1:16 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hi Venson,<BR><BR>Agreed, having a laugh is not blaspheme.<BR><BR>Steve Jobs once said...  “Give people what they want most.”  ... it is the “most” part that vac manufacturers have not quite figured out.  Dyson did.<BR><BR>DIB

People love clean graphics and a high tech commercials! ....oh... that's not what you were reffering to....sorry. LOL
DysonInventsBig

Reply #497   Jan 21, 2009 3:52 pm

DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hi Venson,

DIB

Lucky1 wrote:
People love clean graphics and a high tech commercials! ....oh... that's not what you were reffering to....sorry. LOL

Lucky1,

When Dyson says “Bags clog.”, consumers can identify with this and [some] buy Dyson.  Sales are based on the function, not form.  What else would explain the Dyson technology adoption rate (copying) by other manufacturers?      DIB
This message was modified Jan 21, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #498   Jan 22, 2009 7:17 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Lucky1,

When Dyson says “Bags clog.”, consumers can identify with this and [some] buy Dyson.  Sales are based on the function, not form.  What else would explain the Dyson technology adoption rate (copying) by other manufacturers?      DIB

Hello DIB:

"Bag clogging" is a very miniscule factor.  Bag "buying" [and even possibly "expense" to a much lesser extent] accounted for the initial rash of bagless [dyson] buying.  It's a nuisance.  Takes time and effort.  If there's no new bag, what does the user do?  Stuck. 

Dyson bagless came on the scene and was marketed specifically to these bagged consumers as THE panacea.   It was all about convenience [cost to a lesser extent].  Not technology.  Dyson's fault, among others, was pricing bagless technology [read: convenience] too high.  [Recall dyson's DC15 ball for $599.  You paid $300].  Industry competitors picked up to this and copied dyson for less.  Their bagless convenience was cheaper.  Nothing to do with technology.  Price and convenience rule in the market price. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Dyson sees off rival Samsung - "A win for engineers and inventors."
Reply #499   Jan 22, 2009 1:56 pm
Vacuum cleaner tycoon Sir James Dyson, whose bagless machine has conquered the world, today saw off a rival Korean product after a battle in the High Court...

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/4069219.Wiltshire_inventor_Dyson_sees_off_Korean_rival_in_court_battle/

This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by M00seUK
Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #500   Jan 22, 2009 2:52 pm
I'd be very interested to know exactly which Samsung model the dispute was over, if anyone knows?

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
DysonInventsBig

Reply #501   Jan 22, 2009 3:42 pm
Model2,
Samsung has many many many multi-cyclonic's that have not been challenged by Dyson (demonstrating Dyson does not enjoy taking people to court as some say here). Samsung has a patent/s on sequential separation. Dyson Core + Root combination pre-date Samsung’s. If you look in the European patent office you'll see Samsung's sequential separators or large separators then downstream are smaller separators.- I'm 95% sure this is the infringing patent.

On second thought, maybe the infringement is over the dual cyclone.  Who knows.

Moose,
Thanks for the article.  It is good to see Sir James find another superior innovation that’s insured and fortified by a strong patent.  Sequential separators should out perform I'll previous separators. Not to mention what a great use of space the Core + Root were made to fit.

DIB

P.S.  It is nice to see the little guy take on another monster sized corporation.  It's equally nice to see Sir James again (as he always does) praise his people vice taking credit all to himself.
This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #502   Jan 22, 2009 4:26 pm
The director of Dyson IP discusses those who have infringed, etc., and mentions Samsung too.  Some good stuff.

http://www.cambridgeconsultants.com/downloads/Library_presentations/Innovation_Day_2008/Standing_your_ground.pdf
This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 493 - 502 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42