Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Tell me about the Rainbow

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Just

Tell me about the Rainbow
Original Message   Jan 15, 2009 5:28 pm
My Niece has just taken a job selling Rainbow vacuums door-to-door.  She is currently on a crew and observing, but wants to do a demo for me this Saturday.  She knows that she is coming into a "Kirby Home" and wants to experience a difficult customer.

I have already warned her that in this economy I pitty her trying to sell a niche vacuum with a price tag of $2,800; and with my aging washing machine about to need replaced even if I were interested,  there is no way on God's green earth I will buy from her.

She is fine with that, but wants me to help her out, so I turn to my experts for help.  I saw a Rainbow demo--OK--30 years ago.  What are the new machines like?  I know my Kirby has changed since then, I have a paper bag now.  Do they, Rainbow,  still push the clean air over cleaning abilities?  I just want to know what to expect with the new machine.  I am supposed to be difficult, which I will be, but want to be somewhat prepared.  Her trainer will be with her, and he is going to help her overcome my objections so she can learn to sell.

MOLE--  I need your help

Carmine--Come on man, I don't want to have to give this girl gas money.

This message was modified Jan 15, 2009 by Just
Replies: 16 - 25 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Tell me about the Rainbow
Reply #16   Jan 20, 2009 10:41 am
Thanks Just, it's all too funny except for the $2,596.00 price tag.  I don't think anyone except lottery winners will be buying new Rainbows this year.

Best,

Venson

PS -- Maybe you could pull in some cash from Rainbow by suggesting they let you train the trainees.
Trebor

Reply #17   Jan 20, 2009 11:24 am
Thank you, Just, for proving my point (s)

Proper usage and maintenance of any vacuum is paramount,

Given those two factors, it possible to maintain a home in high state of cleanliness with virtually any vacuum.

Once the dirt is removed, filtration becomes less of an issue.

CarmineD

Reply #18   Jan 20, 2009 2:22 pm
Venson wrote:
Thanks Just, it's all too funny except for the $2,596.00 price tag.  I don't think anyone except lottery winners will be buying new Rainbows this year.

Best,

Venson

PS -- Maybe you could pull in some cash from Rainbow by suggesting they let you train the trainees.

Hi Venson:

The price tag for new RAINBOWS is great for RAINBOW rebuilts and small vacuum cleaner store owners and operators. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #19   Jan 20, 2009 3:26 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

The price tag for new RAINBOWS is great for RAINBOW rebuilts and small vacuum cleaner store owners and operators. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I agree.  However, possible buyers need to be aware of what to look for as far as a clean machine goes.  Have the HEPA on the E series machine removed and eyeball it and the area it attaches to the cleaner at for signs of dirt.  Remove the separator also and check the "spider" and as far beyond as you can see for collected dust or grime. Check the clampps that hold the motor unit onto the water pan for sturdiness.  Have the machine turned on -- no water nescessary for this short test -- and listen for motor sound and any evidence of odd odors.  And even then, you can't realy know much unless you have the machine apart.

My local vac shop seems to focus on some few high-end brands and common "disposables.  Though it does do repairs it does not seem to offer many used vacs of any kind at any one given time.  (Possibly because they may not have much of an understanding of older machines.)  Matter of fact, they had a Kirby G3 that they wanted about 700 bucks for maybe ten years back and it sat and sat in hte window for several years before it disappeared.

In any event, many better, more solid used vacs like Kirby, Royal, all-metal Luxes and so on should prove to be just what the doctor ordered for those looking for something to last a while and I hope I see local shops start carrying more of them.  However, as MOLE mentioned in another post people in general don't have much of an idea of what they're buying -- just what it basically is.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #20   Jan 20, 2009 7:09 pm
Excellent points Venson and also the all important one year/more warranty on the vacuum and key components.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #21   Jan 20, 2009 7:48 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Excellent points Venson and also the all important one year/more warranty on the vacuum and key components.

Carmine D.

Thanks!  I made special mention of all that stuff because there are sellers who may depend on tne Rainbow name and minimum maintance to do the selling.  From the other side of the coin,  There are folks quick to assume that a reptutable name also means or guarantees good product.

Believe it or not, I see a lot of junk on eBay that looks exactly like -- photographed junk.  Many sellers nonetheless attempt to imply that the item is wonderful because it's such-and-such model of such-and-such brand.

Venson
mark40511

Reply #22   Mar 19, 2009 3:26 pm
Question. Sorry to revamp this old post. This is about the Rainbow e2 power nozzel. I saw on Ebay where someone is selling a re-conditioned Rainbow but it comes with a Wessel Werks (spelling) power nozzel. In your experts opinion, are these better than the PN that Rainbow makes? I wasn't aware that another PN would fit a Rainbow.
Venson

Reply #23   Mar 19, 2009 5:13 pm
<BR> mark40511 wrote:
Question. Sorry to revamp this old post. This is about the Rainbow e2 power nozzel. I saw on Ebay where someone is selling a re-conditioned Rainbow but it comes with a Wessel Werks (spelling) power nozzel. In your experts opinion, are these better than the PN that Rainbow makes? I wasn't aware that another PN would fit a Rainbow.

If its the current top Wessel Werks nozzle (black with headlight) it may not be a bad deal. This particular PN is being employed as standard equipment on many power-team canisters from all brands and price ranges. It saves the manufacturers from needing to be original, but it does do well. Lindhaus PNs are also high in the running.

There's an opinion split -- owners versus the publication -- but Consumer Reports has never given Rainbow's it's tested with their own PNs spectacular scores for carpet cleaning.

Just about any canister that has standard wands and an electrified hose that accepts the usual small two-prong PN plug may allow for attachment swapping. Doing the like is certainly not new or unusual. I believe our moderator has even refitted a Filter Queen with a more satisfactory PN.

Eureka/Eureka clone power nozzles, at one point in time, were all over the market. Early Rainbows employing power nozzles used them as did brands like Viking and many central vacuum systems as part of high-end attachment kits.

I have a leaning toward canister vacuums but all aren't my idea of perfect. Our member MOLE has recently stated the most important thing is what happens on the floor and it's true. A switch to a more efficient power nozzle can make a machine you may not have been impressed with suddenly look like it's got real possibilities -- saving you a trip to stores for a new one.

The best nozzles for switching are Kenmore/Panasonic (those which have a simple button lock fitting), the older style Eureka PNs plus the better Wessel Werks and Lindhaus. Needless to say, looking around for a used one instead of new can't hurt since the price on new PNs may make it more sensible just to go out and buy a whole new vacuum.<BR><BR>Venson <BR><BR>
This message was modified Mar 19, 2009 by Venson
mark40511

Reply #24   Mar 19, 2009 8:51 pm
Venson

Thanks. The Rainbow E2 has EXCELLENT suction/airflow but when I use the E PN I'm not so sure it's that great. It looks pretty but I can tell when vacuuming with the Kenmore PN  I hear the airflow/suction from the PN much better than the Rainbow PN. It seems I've read where someone stated they didn't like the Rainbow PN because it choked off airflow (as he put it) and I'm wondering this myself. Perhaps this is why Rainbow PN's don't work that great for bear floor as opposed to other PN"s. I'm betting that if I use a better PN on the Rainbow that it would be much better but not sure which will fit it and how much I should be paying for one.
This message was modified Mar 19, 2009 by mark40511
Venson

Reply #25   Mar 20, 2009 1:28 am
mark40511 wrote:
Venson

Thanks. The Rainbow E2 has EXCELLENT suction/airflow but when I use the E PN I'm not so sure it's that great. It looks pretty but I can tell when vacuuming with the Kenmore PN  I hear the airflow/suction from the PN much better than the Rainbow PN. It seems I've read where someone stated they didn't like the Rainbow PN because it choked off airflow (as he put it) and I'm wondering this myself. Perhaps this is why Rainbow PN's don't work that great for bear floor as opposed to other PN&quot;s. I'm betting that if I use a better PN on the Rainbow that it would be much better but not sure which will fit it and how much I should be paying for one.

Hi Mark,

One of the problems with the Rainbow PN -- I think -- is the brush strip configuration. There's just one nearly straight strip of bristles on each side of the brushroll and actual brush area is less than what you see on brushrolls with brush strips using chevron or auger patterns. There are exceptions in the PNs that used brush strips and beaters bars but I think the more action you have going on per each revolution of a brushroll is a good thing.

Best,

Venson
Replies: 16 - 25 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42