Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > kirby brushroll question

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

kirby brushroll question
Original Message   Jan 14, 2009 8:14 pm
I need a new brushroll for my Kirby G5. What is the difference between the chevron style and the kind with staggered bristles? Does one clean better than the other? Thanks!
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Venson

Re: kirby brushroll question
Reply #1   Jan 15, 2009 8:51 am
I have a G5 with the staggered brush strips. I think this is the brushroll that helps makes Kirby a benchmark when it comes to good carpet cleaning.  Height properly adjusted, it's the real deal. Kirby's downside is weight, noise, bulk and its direct air (exposed fan) delivery.  The upside is that will reasonable care it will last  (even used models bought in GOOD used condition) far longer than many new vacson the market.  Kirby in general -- even twenty year old models -- is still easily repairable.  It's all a matter of preference.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #2   Jan 15, 2009 1:57 pm
Venson wrote:
I have a G5 with the staggered brush strips. I think this is the brushroll that helps makes Kirby a benchmark when it comes to good carpet cleaning.  Height properly adjusted, it's the real deal. Kirby's downside is weight, noise, bulk and its direct air (exposed fan) delivery.  The upside is that will reasonable care it will last  (even used models bought in GOOD used condition) far longer than many new vacson the market.  Kirby in general -- even twenty year old models -- is still easily repairable.  It's all a matter of preference.

Venson

Hi Venson:

The key to buying a good quality used vacuum that will last is to look at the vacuums that are good when they were new.  These generally make the best rebuilt/used vacuums.  Kirby fits the bill.

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #3   Jan 15, 2009 3:54 pm
I think it will come down to your preference. 

I personally prefer the staggard bristles, these give you a good "Tripple Cushion Vibration".  Whereas the chevron style tends to groom the carpet.  If one is better than the other, I am not sure.    I do know when kirby first put the Chevron style in their machines, their deep cleaning scores dropped. 
They started putting the stiffer bristled staggard rollers in practically the next year, and the scores returned.

This message was modified Jan 15, 2009 by Just
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #4   Jan 15, 2009 4:40 pm
Thanks guys.  I knew I could count on you.  I will get the staggered bristle design and see if I can tell a difference.  I don't think the Kirby is loud at all... it has a nice pleasant, solid sound...  sounds like the quality machine that it is.  Not as quiet as my Vorwerk, Royal 801, or Miele canister, but it's not a screamer like some other vacuums.  Now, my Hoover Concept, Dirt Devil Broom Vac, and Oreck are LOUD... sometimes I  feel like wearing ear plugs when using them. 
This message was modified Jan 15, 2009 by Vacuumfreeeke
Just

Reply #5   Jan 15, 2009 4:53 pm
RE: loudness

Though subjective, I tend to think the G series Kirbys are louder than the older models.  The Classics/Omega/III have a deep throaty yet plesant roar.  Traditions through Legend II are a little more subdued, I think due to the paper bag system.  The G Series seem more high pitched to me.  It isn't unplesant,  just higher.  My dog, an American Eskimo Dog can take the UG running with the rug nozzle, but put the hose on and start it in high speed, and she starts barking.  She doesn't do this with my Omega.

This message was modified Jan 15, 2009 by Just
Venson

Reply #6   Jan 15, 2009 6:19 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Thanks guys.  I knew I could count on you.  I will get the staggered bristle design and see if I can tell a difference.  I don't think the Kirby is loud at all... it has a nice pleasant, solid sound...  sounds like the quality machine that it is.  Not as quiet as my Vorwerk, Royal 801, or Miele canister, but it's not a screamer like some other vacuums.  Now, my Hoover Concept, Dirt Devil Broom Vac, and Oreck are LOUD... sometimes I  feel like wearing ear plugs when using them. 

Hiya VF,

Newer Kirbys are about average in the noise department if matched against older vacs but, considering past times, the new trend for vacuums that allow you to carry on a convesation while you're working is more than welcomed. 

If a vacuum is cheap, well you expect less than the best.  But -- if you've spent a lot a thing like low noise should be expected.  I have only encountered a few upright vacuums with external bags -- namely an ancient Hoover or two or the Hoover Convertible on regular rug speed -- that ran at what I consider as comfortable sound levels.

Venson
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42