Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
budmattingly

Eureka Model 260
Original Message   Dec 29, 2008 8:28 pm
Hi,

I just won a Eureka Model 260 from Ebay. Does it take the regular round eureka belt? Also does anyone know what amp motor is in it and are new ones available. Even a higher amp motor? This is a two speed automatic with a green bag and white trim with gold around the light. Any info on this model would be appreciated. Some additional questions, I would like to try and restore this to be a daily driver.

The brush roll has the square ends. Would a vibra groomer II with square ends work?

Would the new sanitaire wheels that are readily available work on this model?

The bag is in excellent shape according to the pictures, but may need a new gasket or gasket  ring and tube. I know these are available for sanitaires and am assuming this would work on the 260?

I purchased a new cord sleeve for a new cord (it has a hoover convertible cord on it.) I also have a new two speed switch for it.

What size motor is in this model? Are new motors available? even one with a higher amp. (must be a two speed)

Thank You for any help you can give me

Bud Mattingly

Replies: 1 - 20 of 20View as Outline
Motorhead

Re: Eureka Model 260
Reply #1   Dec 29, 2008 10:11 pm
That machine is essentially a Sanitaire with a lower-amperage (3.3-amp) motor, so many parts such as the lower bearing plate are interchangeable between the two.  As for the wheels, the front wheels might be compatible but the back wheels are not if you are thinking of the exposed rear wheels on the current 7-amp Sanitaires.  The smaller, hidden rear wheels might work, but keep in mind they might attach differently as this machine uses the rear wheels to adjust to the carpet height.  I'm not positive, but if I were to guess the bag mount would be the same as a 1400-series bag mount (2 screws) so the Sanitaire latch-style bag mount would NOT work. 

You could very well replace the original motor with a 7-amp Sanitaire motor (not sure how easy it would be to find one in two speeds or if they are even produced anymore), but I don't know why you would want to ruin a perfectly original machine and put a higher-power motor in it.  I think the 3.3-amp motor does just fine in this machine and provides plenty of power to clean very well, better than a Hoover from the period).  After all, these Eurekas aren't nearly as common as their Hoover counterparts from the same period.

CarmineD

Reply #2   Dec 30, 2008 7:03 am
Hello Budmattingly:

Nice find/buy.  It takes the same round belt that all the EUREKA/Sanitaires of this vintage use.  Readily available.  I suspect your model is vintage 60 ish.  The brush roll is called a "disturbulator" if my terminology is correct.  Gaskets for the bag coupling and motor housing can be easily fabricated, if the need be.   I have to second MH's motion.  Keep it as original as possible. Use to your heart's delight.  It will make you proud!  Just curious: Does it have a dust cloth/paper bag zipper unit?

Carmine D.

budmattingly

Reply #3   Dec 30, 2008 7:32 pm
  Thank you both for your help. It does have a zippered cloth nylon outer bag that takes the f & g paper bags. It has a bag latch like the commercial sanitaires and not the two screw coupling. It is green with white trim and gold around the light. Someone else told me it probably was the Eureka 50th anniversary edition, since the light had the gold trim. From the pictures, it seems like its had little use.

Bud

Venson

Reply #4   Dec 31, 2008 12:09 am
Hi Bud,

I've been trying to be good and lessen my "shopping" but I couldn't help not keeping an eye on that Eureka the whole time it was up for auction.  Nonetheless, I opted to snatch a Westinghouse "Stratovac" canister that turned up because I knew I probably  wouldn't see another of for a good while.  Good thing I guess since the final price on your upright turned out to be about twice what it sold for when new. 

The great thing though is that it sets a stunning example.  It's nearing the fifty year mark and it's running, looking good and relatively  solid.  By the way, I believe I saw a set of attachments that may fit it also on eBay.

Might be wrong but I think your Eureka goes back far enough to be part of the line the Eureka "Golden Crown" canister came out of in the very, very late '50s or very early '60s.  Paint color and gold  trim are the same idea.  Eureka had a lot going on at the time including the Vibra-Beat canister.

Best,

Venson
budmattingly

Reply #5   Dec 31, 2008 4:43 am
Hi Venson,

I too saw the attachments and bought them last night. I paid more than I should have for those as well, but I had never seen attachments for the top of the Eureka before and they looked almost unused as well. When I receive the vacuum, I am going to have it serviced at a vacuum shop I have dealt with for years. The Eureka has a hoover cord on it, which is in good shape, but I found the original cord sleeve (only had 1 left) on the internet and will have a new cord with that sleeve put on it. I also  have a brand new two speed switch that I had bought years ago to fit the square handle as well. I actually had a friend who's mother had a Eureka Twin Power Automatic, which had that square handle. At the time the square handle and parts were still available, In my opinion, that was the nicest and most well made handle, Eureka ever made for their uprights. This was in the early 70's, so I bought a new Eureka Twin Power and had a new square handle put on it instead of the round handle it came with. That probably was my favorite vacuum of all time....unfortunately I was young and traded it in when the new Eureka ESP's came out. Live and learn.......

Bud

CarmineD

Reply #6   Dec 31, 2008 7:07 am
budmattingly wrote:
  Thank you both for your help. It does have a zippered cloth nylon outer bag that takes the f & g paper bags. It has a bag latch like the commercial sanitaires and not the two screw coupling. It is green with white trim and gold around the light. Someone else told me it probably was the Eureka 50th anniversary edition, since the light had the gold trim. From the pictures, it seems like its had little use.

Bud

Hi Bud:

You might be right on.  EUREKA is probably 1909, so the 50th would be 1959 [As Venson said].  The attachments, while they don't work very well on these models, are good to have with the vacuum.  More value added.

BTW, when you have it, check the amperage on the bottom of the machine.  Should have a small metal plate on the underside with model, motor specs, and place of production.

WRT cord and protector, it's not uncommon for repairs on the old EUREKA upright cords to use HOOVER sleeves [protectors] with straight end generic cords. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 31, 2008 by CarmineD
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #7   Dec 31, 2008 1:53 pm
Bud;

Your vacuum cleaner would be from the late 50's.  I would suggest that you do not change parts from the original design, since you are a vacuum collector.  Check the disturbulator and make sure the bristles are adequate length.  This design configuration of the bristles made for a very good brushroll/agitator at the time.  It helps in removing alot of the deep down dirt, in the carpeting.  The rear wheels, found on some of the underside of Sanitaires are not going to fit the Eureka, because they are larger than the Eureka's wheels.  The axle is also different from later Eureka/Sanitaires.  The motor amperage of your Eureka should be 3.5.  This vacuum cleaner cleans very well and is not as loud as present day Sanitaires of similar design.

Like I said earlier, try to stay close to original as possible.  You paid a mint for this machine.
budmattingly

Reply #8   Jan 1, 2009 6:44 pm
Thank You all for the information. I do understand about keeping it as original as possible. To do this, how do you sanitize the brush roll, wheels, etc?
Venson

Reply #9   Jan 1, 2009 11:34 pm
budmattingly wrote:
Thank You all for the information. I do understand about keeping it as original as possible. To do this, how do you sanitize the brush roll, wheels, etc?

Hi Bud,

My best suggestion is to do nothing.  If you mean bacteria removal, there is no actual way to fully "sanitize" a used vacuum unless you totally dismantle it and still no way to render it totally or even near germ free.  As well, there is nothing to be gained except a lot of work and possible problems. 

However, if you want to clean the machine's underside up a little . . .

If you also own a vacuum with a blower, attach the hose and crevice tool and blow away any dust, cobwebs, etc., that may be found in the recesses on the front wheels. Use a natural bristle brush or even a clean paint brush  to get into wheel recesses.  Also, since you'll probably want to install a fresh drive belt,  remove the plate covering the fan chamber plus the machine's belt and brushroll and blow out the brush chamber.  You can use the brush I mentioned here as well to loosen dust that doesn't easily blow away.  This is a job better done outdoors or in a workshop.

[Please note that my not making mention of complete removal of the cleaner's wheels is totally deliberate.]  Moisten a paper towel with a little window cleaner and turn the wheels with your thumb as you use your fingers and the moistened toweling to quickly remove any foreign matter like dust or shampoo residue.  

The wooden "disturbulator" is not meant to be exposed to water.   A stiff brush with natural or plastic bristles may be helpful in dislodging adherent dust and dirt between the tufts of bristles on the brushroll.  If there is black residue that sometimes develops on a brushroll, do no more than LIGHTLY moisten a cloth or paper towel with window cleaner or a spray cleaner like Fantastik and clean it as best you can.

As far as collectibles go, clean up is a good thing only to the extent that original parts and finishes are not altered or damaged by over-cleaning.

Best,

Venson
This message was modified Jan 1, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #10   Jan 2, 2009 7:07 am
Hi Bud:

I'm going to take a little different tact than Venson, tho I wholeheartedly agree with everything he says.

For the really bad vintage vacuums, I have a "swat" method of cleaning.  Dismantle completely and submerge the parts, even metal, in hot water in a slop sink and brush clean.  Of course, nothing electrical nor the cloth bags and paper filters.  Foam filters, rubber gaskets, even felt are fine for this type of cleaning.  But use care due to their fragility.  After these are completely clean, dry thoroughly and even use a blower/held held hair dryer. 

The bag, for example, tho zipper and still clean and in good shape, may hold odors from time and lack of use.  The swat cleaning is fine.  Keep the zipper open when submerged.  After cleaning, dry thoroughly and then again with the hair dryer.  Coat the zipper with a light amount of machine oil.  Sewing machine oil is perfect.  Work the zipper a few times and still leave open until thoroughly dry.  Clean and sanitized.  A little fragrance using an eye dropper on the F&G new paper bag and you're good to go.

I have even dismantled the HOOVER agitators and submerged in water and brushed clean to remove all the inside and outside dirt and gunk caked on for years and years.  Works fine if dried thoroughly.  I use this method too as a precursor to sand and paint, if the agitator is already rusted, as many are at times from laying in basements and garages.

Good luck.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2009 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #11   Jan 2, 2009 2:21 pm
Bud
I've been using a hand Steam Cleaner on many of my parts to dislodge grime. Because the steam evaporates immediately, I believe you might be able to use it on metal parts. PM me if you want more info.
Lucky
budmattingly

Reply #12   Jan 17, 2009 6:06 pm
Update on Eureka Model 260.

It's been to the vacuum shop. The throat on the inside of the bag that holds the f&g paper bags, has two small holes. The vac shop tried hot glue in one, but didn't work. My idea of taking a sanitaire coupling that has the zipper in the back isn't going to work. The bottom of the latch base is wider than the fitting on my model 260, so I cut the throat out and took it into the vac shop with my bag. They don't want to try it and I can't do it. My last resort is duct tape. What are your opinions or suggestions.

Thanks,

Bud

CarmineD

Reply #13   Jan 17, 2009 6:48 pm
Hi Bud:

What options did the vacuum store owner/operator give you?

Carmine D.

budmattingly

Reply #14   Jan 17, 2009 7:29 pm
Carmine their option was to

Buy a new red sanitaire bag with the bag clamp that takes the f & g bags. My bag is mint other than the 2 small holes. I wanted to buy that bag and have them use the bag clamp and fill tube on my original bag. They said it would not work...One thing is the the bag retainer on the bottom of the sanitaire bag would have to be cut down as it will not fit  in the slot on the bottom of the 260. The top of the bag clamp would work fine.

I was really hoping this would be an easy fix.....

CarmineD

Reply #15   Jan 17, 2009 7:40 pm
Bud:

Someone with the right sewing machine can patch the holes in your bag as good as new.  With the right needle you could stitch by hand with some time and effort.  Seek out a shoe repair and/or a place that does clothes alteration.  Take your bag with you.  Ask if they can sew/stitch the holes and/or patch with a leather cuff.  Good luck.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #16   Feb 4, 2009 8:26 am
Hello Bud:

Don't know if you were successful, but I read an article recently and thought of you and your dilemma.  A cobbler in Miami, only 7,000 left today vice 120,000 during the Great Depression, said he fixes everything except broken relationships.  Sounds like a 1959-60's EUREKA outer bag would be an easy fix!

Carmine D.

budmattingly

Reply #17   Feb 19, 2009 7:46 pm
One more question. I know everyone says to keep my 260 as close to original as possible, but while it was in for a tune up, a piece of the steel that serves as the rug plate was broken off. If I take the metal strips off, will a regular rug plate fit. Before anyone says no, I saw another 260 on ebay after mine, but I was ill at the close of that auction and didn't get to bid. It had a Eureka rugplate on it, but don't know what it took to make it work. Any info would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Bud

CarmineD

Reply #18   Feb 19, 2009 7:55 pm
Hello Bud:

I'm confused about what is broken off, so I can't assist you with an answer.  Can you clarify what exactly is broken?

Carmine D.

budmattingly

Reply #19   Feb 19, 2009 8:21 pm
Carmine, it is the metal that surrounds the brush roll housing. The metal strips are fastened with screws every so often and go completely around the housing. This is the best I can describe it. I could email you a picture of the bottom if you want. My email address is rmattingly2@cinci.rr.com.

Thanks,

Bud

CarmineD

Reply #20   Feb 20, 2009 6:45 am
Hi Bud:

A pic would assist.  I'll email you and if you would, please send me a pic.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 20 of 20View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42