Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > “Anything” Dyson that makes news.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DysonInventsBig

Original Message   Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Dyson is in the news frequently and so a dedicated thread.

This message was modified Aug 2, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 347 - 356 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Reply #347   Nov 9, 2008 11:56 am
Hi,

Miele and, I believe, Bosch have it on the market in "capsule" and built-in form. However, the prices make my good old Krups bean grinder and Bodum coffee maker look awful good to me

http://www.miele.com/products/models.asp?cat=5&subcat=30&menu_id=22&nav=20&snav=90&tnav=96&oT=188

http://www.miele.com/products/models.asp?cat=5&subcat=28&menu_id=9&nav=20&snav=90&tnav=93&oT=187

Venson
This message was modified Nov 9, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #348   Nov 9, 2008 1:14 pm
Hello DIB:

Sorry to misunderstand and misquote.  So it would appear if the discounted, 4 year old dyson DC15 ball is doing double duty, a new dyson ball model exclusively for household use is out of the question?  I really thought with all honesty and good intentions that you "relegated" the DC15 to the garage so you could replace it with a new dyson in your home.  Especially with the way you rave non-stop about the ball and steerability.  I envisioned you upgrading the ball models with each new dyson entrant.  As a dyson devotee like you would most likely want to do.  I mistook your praise here for putting your money where your words are.  My apologies. 

Carmine

DysonInventsBig

Reply #349   Nov 9, 2008 1:21 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Thanks - I can't see any more written detail on the US patent doc and the images are not showing for me, so I can't really add anything.

I'm of the presumption that Dyson are of the thinking "What appliances use motors that might benefit a more efficient motor part?". I'm not at all familiar with drinks dispensers, but presumably you need a motor to create air pressure and also grind / mix ingredients. If a Dyson digital motor *was* to be used, it would like be a smaller than the version used on the Airblade drier. As you say, there might not be any benefit at all and they would simply use one off the shelf.

So, what we're looking at is :-

• Small, self-contained profile
  • Grinder / milk foamier optional
  • 1-2 selectable hoppers for coffee / coco ingredients
  • Nozzle and cup shelf retract flush when not required

This is the type of product I'm thinking of:-

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/290734/JURA-IMPRESSA-Z5

That is the top of the range model from this retailer, at 1595 GBP. An entry level version sells for 595 GBP.

Certainly, they're getting ever popular, the margins are there and there's efficiencies to be made in terms of size.

There's also market share potential in the commercial space. The café near my office is pushed for working space, with fair-sized espresso machine taking up room. At my local independent pub, coffee is made from a small machine with pre-prepared espresso 'capsules'. Again, they're pushed for space, but a machine of the design proposed by Dyson might work well.

Moose,

If you go to the bottom of the front page of the Dyson application, you will see a lengthy description. As you can see/experience firsthand the United States government in my opinion has made searching patents difficult or more difficult than need be. Patent images they are in the TIFF format. Assuming you’re using a Macintosh I provided a free tiff viewer plug-in link below.

You’re right, the dispenser could be both commercial and residential. I did not read but just a few paragraphs on the patent, I did see one of the major components is the ability to retract or telescope the dispenser nozzle back into the appliance itself which is space-saving (per the Dyson patent app.)

DIB

www.acordex.com/browseProd/VTplugin.html
This message was modified Nov 9, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

HARDSELL

Reply #350   Nov 9, 2008 1:54 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
  Hello Carmine,

In typical fashion you twist my words. Did I say my DC15 has been relegated to the garage? The DC15 serves double duty both in my garage and home. I am beating on it deliberately. This way I can say honestly these things are bulletproof and can run well past its five-year warranty (projectied based on what I've seen thus far). It is going on 4 years old.

DIB

WARNING!!  DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME WITH YOUR ORECK.
M00seUK

Reply #351   Nov 9, 2008 3:33 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Moose,

If you go to the bottom of the front page of the Dyson application, you will see a lengthy description. As you can see/experience firsthand the United States government in my opinion has made searching patents difficult or more difficult than need be. Patent images they are in the TIFF format. Assuming you’re using a Macintosh I provided a free tiff viewer plug-in link below.

You’re right, the dispenser could be both commercial and residential. I did not read but just a few paragraphs on the patent, I did see one of the major components is the ability to retract or telescope the dispenser nozzle back into the appliance itself which is space-saving (per the Dyson patent app.)

DIB

www.acordex.com/browseProd/VTplugin.html

Thanks DIB, I installed the plug-in, although I couldn't see anything that wasn't in the other patent write up.

What I think is *shocking* is that US patent site requiring people to download an  obscure browser plug-in to view those TIFF images. I mean, storing documents as TIFFs is perfectly fine, but serving them up on a web site, when web browsers don't supporting them by default is terrible! Given US citizens file a large number patents, they deserve better.

Although I'm being all self-righteous because my own web site goes to great lengths to automatically convert images in to easily readable formats! :-p
DysonInventsBig

Reply #352   Nov 9, 2008 5:27 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

... that's true.

CarmineD

Reply #353   Nov 10, 2008 7:13 am
HARDSELL wrote:
DysonInventsBig wrote:
... that's true.

Hello DIB/HS:

Not!.  I've posted here before, I believe, if not, here it is now.  I typically run my ORECK upright over the garage floor [where I have both cement/rug coverings], apron to the driveway [cement], backyard patio [cement/rug coverings], and walkway from the front to side door of the house [cement save a huge front door indoor/outdoor welcome rug].  Why?  It's an excellent barefloor cleaner with excellent edge cleaning.  Beats cleaning these areas any other way.  And voila, no problems steering!

Last week, I performed some outdoor maintenence to the stucco finish my home.  Repair/paint small cracks that developed after house settling.  Typically these repairs cause excess stucco finish [read tiny cement bits and pieces] to fall off and down on the ground.  To do the clean up on the walkway and patio, I went for my ORECK upright, which was the closest and handiest vacuum to get to!  And works the best for this cleaning job.  Simply amazing!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 10, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #354   Nov 10, 2008 2:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Sorry to misunderstand and misquote.

DIB replies:  No problem.

So it would appear if the discounted, 4 year old dyson DC15 ball is doing double duty, a new dyson ball model exclusively for household use is out of the question?  I really thought with all honesty and good intentions that you "relegated" the DC15 to the garage so you could replace it with a new dyson in your home.  Especially with the way you rave non-stop about the ball and steerability.  I envisioned you upgrading the ball models with each new dyson entrant.  As a dyson devotee like you would most likely want to do.  I mistook your praise here for putting your money where your words are.  My apologies. 

DIB replies:     Resorting to psychology? -- nice try. You have "run the boards" and have so for years with your unending complaints of your very short lived and use of the Dyson DC07. Out of curiosity how long did you own and/or use this machine? And why didn't you tweak it to make it work great on your carpets? Certainly tweaking a vacuum would be more fun than all the part swapping you've done, don't you think?

Re: my DC15 pulling double duty...  When I do not purchase all products from Dyson are you somehow trying to discount my sincerity of me supporting innovators such as Dyson? I never had the desire to own the DC18, DC24 or DC25. Why? Because I'm happy using my DC15 and I want to purposely use it for years only so I can discount others when they talk trash of Dyson durability in many (not all) of his great products. The Dyson Airblade easily proves out as the worlds best filtering/dryng hand dryer, yet I will not be purchasing this product either.

Carmine

Also...   have you seen David Oreck's latest XL Platinum television commercial? He is attempting to make it look as if this antiquated chassis (Murray Spangler-type) has steering.  He "borrowed" the Dave Shimkus demonstration where Dave twists and turns Dyson steerable's over hard surfaces littered with coffee grounds. Certainly Dave Shimkus is not the first to vacuum up coffee grounds. He is the world's first to leave a clean slalom-like or s-shaped path through coffee grounds using the world's only highly reactive steerable (a nozzle that reacts in concert to  "wrist steer"; that is, Dyson's Ball line and Slim).

You will see Oreck make a swivelable and many others too, due to the Dyson DC15 but mostly due to the Slim proving out/carving out this new "steerable" and profitable market.

DIB

mole

Reply #355   Nov 10, 2008 2:16 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

You will see Oreck make a swivelable and many others too, due to the Dyson DC15 but mostly due to the Slim proving out/carving out this new "steerable" and profitable market.

DIB

Aerus/Electrolux,has had an easy steer powerhead since 1993, it came out on the 6500 series canister,I will say its the biggest problemmatic piece they ever made,Quite frankly its 40% of my repair business.

I hope Dyson knows about the durability factor  of his set up.

GOOD LUCK

MOLE
DysonInventsBig

Reply #356   Nov 10, 2008 2:38 pm
mole wrote:
Aerus/Electrolux,has had an easy steer powerhead since 1993, it came out on the 6500 series canister,I will say its the biggest problemmatic piece they ever made,Quite frankly its 40% of my repair business.

I hope Dyson knows about the durability factor  of his set up.

GOOD LUCK

MOLE

Mole,

Are you talking about the simple swivel bend/union like on pn's and floor nozzles or something more?  Dyson could of and should of produced an interesting and helpful turning mechanism on their DC21 but it failed for many reasons (IMO).

DIB
This message was modified Nov 10, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 347 - 356 of 624Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42