Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > NEW!!! TTI releases HOOVER PLATINUM COLLECTION

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
TTIpowerT

NEW!!! TTI releases HOOVER PLATINUM COLLECTION
Original Message   Oct 25, 2008 9:43 pm
http://www.hooverpressroom.com/

The Hoover Platinum Collection according to ASTM608 carpet testing includes the best cleaning bagged upright and best cleaning cyclonic bagless upright on the market today!

Includes:

*Linx cordless system with 18v Lithium ion technology on a hand and light/stick vac.

*Bagged Upright: Most powerful lightweight vacuum in the marketplace removes more dirt in one pass than other uprights(ASTM F-608)

*Baggless Upright : Removes more dirt than any other bagless vacuum on the market using multi-stage cyclonic filtration system and Hoover’s patented WindTunnel™ technology which utilizes three suction tunnels to lift and remove even the hidden dirt (Per ASTM F608)

*New Carpet Cleaner Removes more dirt from carpet than any other leading brand of carpet cleaner (test FCTP-0024)

*Best in class 6 yr warranty!
Replies: 1 - 89 of 89View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: NEW!!! TTI releases HOOVER PLATINUM COLLECTION
Reply #1   Oct 26, 2008 7:10 am
Welcome aboard. 

Very impressive info.  Nice web Site, thank you for posting.  I like the Fact Sheet on HOOVER innovations over its 100 years.  There are a few missing details:  HOOVER actually intro'ed the electric floor washer in the late 50's and early 60's tho it was not very popular for a number of reasons.  The 2004 Floormate, which by all measures is a huge success, is the HOOVER successor to the earlier version.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #2   Oct 26, 2008 2:22 pm
I'm simply demonstrating the Red Hoover business model of "unashamed copying"...

Red Hoover copied Oreck... 

Will Oreck have to move manufacturing and American jobs out of the country in order to compete (better compete)?

DIB
This message was modified Oct 26, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #3   Oct 26, 2008 6:20 pm
Hello DIB:

If you put a pictutre of the Shop Vac lightweight [MSRP $99] and RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweights [MSRP $300-$400] here, you'll have all the brands/models on the market today that copied the original and followed the leader: ORECK!  They probably have very few if any differences and you can interchange the brand names.  Tho, I think the pix would be better served on the ORECK thread under the category: Follow the leader.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #4   Oct 26, 2008 6:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

If you put a pictutre of the Shop Vac lightweight [MSRP $99] and RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweights [MSRP $300-$400] here, you'll have all the brands/models on the market today that copied the original and followed the leader: ORECK!  They probably have very few if any differences and you can interchange the brand names.  Tho, I think the pix would be better served on the ORECK thread under the category: Follow the leader.

Carmine D.

Of course we all know that the antiquated Oreck has no technology and is only a copy of prior vacs.  Oreck, the other follower.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #5   Oct 26, 2008 7:04 pm
DIB

The Hoover version is probably cheaper than the Oreck!

DC18

DysonInventsBig

Reply #6   Oct 26, 2008 10:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Carmine D.

Hey Carmine,

Fact:  TTI is using reversed engineered Dyson mult-cyclonic and the many elements in making the entire filtration work (Whisper upright).
Fact:  TTI fought for and won the right to use a Dyson creation - “No Loss of Suction”.

Red TTI/Hoover has already established itself as a parasite (at times).  My greater point of my pairing the Red Hoover with Oreck was in the marketing and/or positioning itself as Oreck-like.  You do not see the similarities?  I do.  I realize others have similar uprights.  IMO, Oreck and no others have made famous the pairing of a rectangular shaped hand vac with a lightweight, soft bagged upright.  Red simply extruded Oreck’s hand vac and made taller and added some styling.  Red does what Red does best...  steal.  Red has copied Oreck...  fact.

DIB

I wanted to follow up and post before someone else did...  The slim rectangular shape of the Hoover handheld/canister is the best physical fit to sit inside a small hallway or broom closet floor.        DIB
This message was modified Oct 29, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #7   Oct 27, 2008 6:43 am
Hello DIB and HARDSELL:

I understand but don't share your animosity for TTI Floorcare Glenwillow OHIO, USA, and its products.  You both impugn HOOVER USA, UK, VAX, BISSELL, DIRT DEVIL, ELECTROLUX, EUREKA, ORECK, and others because these are time tested and proven brands.  And they are poised to outdo your favorite brand in the big box retail stores with less expensive products and better warranties.  To worsen matters, the Foreign King of bagged vacuums with an impeccable reputation for quality, MIELE, is too.  And the ASA, a UK based regulatory body, is scoring fatal hits with legal judgments against your fave brand and in favor of all the others.   

These are the times, my two good friends, that try/test inventors' souls.  Why?  The good times are over.  Gone forever.  The honeymoon period is long forgotten.  Now the the cold hard reality of the the market place comes into being.  All the above brands that you both like to scoff in two part harmony have passed through these times before.  And, by their own merits, survived and flourished.  To their credit, you can be sure of it.  Will yours?  Time will tell.  And, the time is here.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 27, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #8   Oct 27, 2008 6:45 am
DC18 wrote:
DIB

The Hoover version is probably cheaper than the Oreck!

DC18

Hello DC18:

I can't say cheaper since I'm not familiar [yet] with the latest HOOVER lightweight.  The Ultralightweight HOOVER, made by RICCAR/SIMPLICITY, is a worthy contender to the ORECK.  ORECK's beauty is the lack of parts:  Only 30 in all.  Fewer parts, fewer break downs, longer useful life.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #9   Oct 27, 2008 2:30 pm
Hi,

I've attached the "spec" sheet for the paired upright and portable vacuum.  Neither Ms. Sinclair or her counterpart were available today when I rang.  I tried a different number and did get someone but he couldn't tell me much as far as hard specs are concerned.  He esitimates that the upright will probably have a 400-watt motor.  As for the portable cleaner, he does not think that, suctionwise, it will be a match-up for the Swingette that Hoover has put out for some time.

Per his information, he says the cleaner is anticipated to hit the stores after New Years.

http://www.hooverpressroom.com/fact_sheets/plat_bagged_facts.pdf

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 27, 2008 by Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #10   Oct 27, 2008 3:57 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB and HARDSELL:

I understand but don't share your animosity for TTI Floorcare Glenwillow OHIO, USA, and its products.  You both impugn HOOVER USA, UK, VAX, BISSELL, DIRT DEVIL, ELECTROLUX, EUREKA, ORECK, and others because these are time tested and proven brands.  And they are poised to outdo your favorite brand in the big box retail stores with less expensive products and better warranties.  To worsen matters, the Foreign King of bagged vacuums with an impeccable reputation for quality, MIELE, is too.  And the ASA, a UK based regulatory body, is scoring fatal hits with legal judgments against your fave brand and in favor of all the others.   

These are the times, my two good friends, that try/test inventors' souls.  Why?  The good times are over.  Gone forever.  The honeymoon period is long forgotten.  Now the the cold hard reality of the the market place comes into being.  All the above brands that you both like to scoff in two part harmony have passed through these times before.  And, by their own merits, survived and flourished.  To their credit, you can be sure of it.  Will yours?  Time will tell.  And, the time is here.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

I know you struggle with innovation and its many benefits.  I have linked a nice article of the LED inventor at his 80th birthday celebration.  His gift has benefited the entire civilized world.  The inventors last 3 quotes in the article are what Dyson has been telling others for years.

Good men build, parasites take.

DIB

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2008/10/25/friends_family_hold_birthday_fete_for_led_inventor

CarmineD

Reply #11   Oct 27, 2008 5:59 pm
Hello DIB, HARDSELL:

Good and/or bad men is moot now.  Innovative technology is irrelevant now.  Words of wisdom are futile.

The issue to address now and in the future is economic business survival.  How does dyson re-invent itself and its products to compete with the time tested and tried brands in the big box retail store venues/independent vacuum cleaner stores in the current and future bad eonomy.  This is something dyson has never experienced in its business life cycle until right now.   Is dyson ready?  This is not a recession.  The Donald [AKA Trumpster] calls it a Depression with a capital D.  Former Fed Chief Alan Greenspan says it's a worldwide economic sunami, the likes of which people have never known. 

I suggest that you and the 10 percent of loyal dyson branders run right out and buy one/more of the latest and greatest models at the MSRP and spread the wealth around.  It's a good start and dyson will need all the financial assistance he can muster to make the Forbes billionaire club in 2008.

Carmine D. 

DysonInventsBig

Reply #12   Oct 28, 2008 10:03 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB, HARDSELL:

Good and/or bad men is moot now.  Innovative technology is irrelevant now.  Words of wisdom are futile.

The issue to address now and in the future is economic business survival.  How does dyson re-invent itself and its products to compete with the time tested and tried brands in the big box retail store venues/independent vacuum cleaner stores in the current and future bad eonomy.  This is something dyson has never experienced in its business life cycle until right now.   Is dyson ready?  This is not a recession.  The Donald [AKA Trumpster] calls it a Depression with a capital D.  Former Fed Chief Alan Greenspan says it's a worldwide economic sunami, the likes of which people have never known. 

I suggest that you and the 10 percent of loyal dyson branders run right out and buy one/more of the latest and greatest models at the MSRP and spread the wealth around.  It's a good start and dyson will need all the financial assistance he can muster to make the Forbes billionaire club in 2008.

Carmine D. 

Hi Carmine,

What exactly do you admire about the “time tested” underachievers (the *NIH loving suits)?  What techniques do you use to psych yourself up to find 10, 20, 30, 40 year old product remotely interesting?

DIB

”NIH":  http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/not-invented-here.html
This message was modified Oct 28, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #13   Oct 28, 2008 11:07 am
DIB,

Do you have a fear of competition?  Companies like Dyson will have to continue to innovate to be successful with their premium pricing.   American statesman and inventor Ben Franklin actually opposed patent protections because he thought it stymied innovation.   While Dyson has been innovative with the dirt collection system, his brush rolls leave a lot to be desired.  A Kirby vacuum with 1920's technology will outclean a Dyson on carpeting.  Apparently an Oreck vacuum with a clean bag will outclean a Dyson on carpeting too. 

Using your definition of steal, Dyson is guilty of theft too.  Dyson uses a rotating brush roll and nozzle which were invented long ago by others.   Dyson took a basic vacuum design invented by others and improved the dirt collection system.  That's it.  And that's the same thing that the others have done.  They use the latest technology available and try to  make some improvements.    While you may not like the dual cyclone copies, they have brought the technology to consumers who can't afford a $400 vacuum. 

DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hey Carmine,

Fact:  TTI is using reversed engineered Dyson mult-cyclonic and the many elements in making the entire filtration work (Whisper upright).
Fact:  TTI fought for and won the right to use a Dyson creation - “No Loss of Suction”.

Red TTI/Hoover has already established itself as a parasite (at times).  My greater point of my pairing the Red Hoover with Oreck was in the marketing and/or positioning itself as Oreck-like.  You do not see the similarities?  I do.  I realize others have similar uprights.  IMO, Oreck and no others have made famous the pairing of a rectangular shaped hand vac with a lightweight, soft bagged upright.  Red simply extruded Oreck’s hand vac and made taller and added some styling.  Red does what Red does best...  steal.  Red has copied Oreck...  fact.

DIB

This message was modified Oct 28, 2008 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #14   Oct 28, 2008 4:32 pm
Hello DIB:

What do I admire about the tried and true vacuum companies in the industry that have passed the test of time?  Good question.  Simple answer, my good friend.  Let's start with this FACT:  They became and stayed successful without using gimmicks and false claims to promote/sell their products. 

And then add: I admire them too because they are the seasoned veterans of the industry.  The cornerstone and foundation of the very industry in which your fave brand is just getting started. 

And last but not least: Many of these companies, like TTI Floorcare of Glenwillow, Ohio, offer bagged and/or bagless brands and models in canisters, uprights, hand vacuums and sticks.  Why?  They understand very well that the majority [90 percent to be exact] of USA vacuum customers have a reportoire of household vacuum brands and products.  Not just one brand.  So these companies treat their rivals, some of which are related business wise, with the respect and dignity that they earned and deserve.   

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 28, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #15   Oct 28, 2008 4:39 pm
Severus wrote:

Severus,

When VAX took and fought for the right to use the Dyson creation, the Dyson phrase... “No Loss of Suction” am I being anti-competition?  I’m sure if Red thought they could get away with it they would lay claim to “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.”  Trust me when Red creates something in-house they will fight for it and spend any amount of money doing so.

Ben Franklin (a gift to man) was courageous and correct about much.  Ben’s 2 primary innovations (that I am aware of) that he did not want to patent or hold back from being adopted quickly were - 1)  the lighting rod and 2) the cast iron stove.  And IMO, he was right and righteous in doing so.  But to apply Ben’s “ways” today would not be applicable nor necessary, unless the cure for cancer was invented or likewise.

Dyson has reversed engineered no one.  Dyson looks to and trusts in his and his peoples creativity first and uses expired patents second.

The majority of the science that goes into making a good vacuum is indeed very old.  Dyson has a business model and beliefs that are obviously different from some vacuum science.  He rose from obscurity overnight and became a billionaire from it, so who am I to argue with that (unless he asks)?

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #16   Oct 28, 2008 5:07 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Severus,

Dyson has a business model and beliefs that are obviously different from some vacuum science.  He rose from obscurity overnight and became a billionaire from it, so who am I to argue with that (unless he asks)?

DIB

DIB:

I'll argue with it because it's nonsense.  The FACT is dyson floundered from 1979 until 1992.  He got nowhere with his bagless vacuum.  Success came after he won two huge financial settlements for almost $8 MILLION at strategic times in his business career. 

The first in 1992, enabled him to set up the factory in Malmesbury, UK and produce 2 dyson bagless vacuums in 1993: Upright and cylinder models.  And still he had problems. 

The second settlement in the early 2000's, enabled dyson to expand and relocate to the Malay plant [Southeast Asia with a majority of Moslems] and go global by opening new markets.  Nothing to do with a business plan and model.  

And finally the FACT is that BEST BUY management convinced dyson to launch vacuums in the USA in 2002, after the Malay plant was operational, not his business plan.  James wanted to wait. 

Tell us:  What does the dyson business model say about selling $500 plus vacuums in a bad global economy?  Maybe TTI Floorcare can provide a copy of theirs to James to follow?  Only if he asks nicely.

Carmine D. 

DysonInventsBig

Reply #17   Oct 28, 2008 5:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
DIB:

I'll argue with it because it's nonsense.  The FACT is dyson floundered from 1979 until 1992.  He got nowhere with his bagless vacuum.  Success came after he won two huge financial settlements for almost $8 MILLION at strategic times in his business career. 

The first in 1992, enabled him to set up the factory in Malmesbury, UK and produce 2 dyson bagless vacuums in 1993: Upright and cylinder models.  And still he had problems. 

The second settlement in the 2000's, enabled dyson to expand and relocate to the Malay plant [Southeast Asia with a majority of Moslems] and go global by opening new markets.  Nothing to do with a business plan and model.  

And finally the FACT is that BEST BUY management convinced dyson to launch vacuums in the USA in 2002, not his business plan.  James wanted to wait. 

Tell us:  What does the dyson business model say about selling $500 plus vacuums in a bad global economy?  Maybe TTI Floorcare can provide a copy of theirs to James to follow?  Only if he asks nicely.

Carmine D. 

Carmine,

Would it kill you or put you out to do a fact check and get your beliefs in line with historical facts.  Your “dumb luck” business model you try to color Sir James Dyson in is as you say is [pure] nonsense.  Please demonstrate for us how easy it is to collect millions from corporations via this dumb luck business model.  And surely there is a dumb luck business school you could recommend to anyone without the sense to provide for themselves.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #18   Oct 28, 2008 6:32 pm
Hello DIB:

You call it whatever you will: Dumb luck, lady luck, blind luck, fool's luck, beginner's luck, whatever.  I prefer to call these FACTS the untold story.  Or the story within the story.  Why?  They are not mentioned.  Probably because they were never part of the business plan/model. 

I can say with absolute certainty that TTI Floorcare of Glenwillow OHIO will weather the stormy days ahead and fare very well business wise.  It has all the right stuff to do well in good/bad economic times.   

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #19   Oct 28, 2008 8:13 pm
Carmine,

I have been wanting a Lexus, BMW, Porsche, GT500 or one of many exotic cars.  I will make a trip to the dealer.  If they refuse to cut the price in half I will explain your philosophy that times are hard and they will likely go out business if they do not sell on my terms.

No different than vacuums I suppose.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #20   Oct 28, 2008 11:53 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

You call it whatever you will: Dumb luck, lady luck, blind luck, fool's luck, beginner's luck, whatever.  I prefer to call these FACTS the untold story.  Or the story within the story.  Why?  They are not mentioned.  Probably because they were never part of the business plan/model. 

I can say with absolute certainty that TTI Floorcare of Glenwillow OHIO will weather the stormy days ahead and fare very well business wise.  It has all the right stuff to do well in good/bad economic times.   

Carmine D.

Carmine,

“The untold story?”  ....as told by the supermarket rags?  Come on, the guy invented widgets that huge companies wanted but did not want to compensate for.   Dyson did not roll over as they thought and instead fought (paid for a lawsuit which in reality he could barely afford) for is property, they eventually compensated [Dyson] in the form of a volunteered settlement (aka a big fat check).  Dyson reinvested his compensation in his future...  Dyson LTD.

I have no doubt Red will become huge and with monopolistic like powers.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #21   Oct 29, 2008 6:56 am
Hello DIB/HARDSELL:

Sorry DIB but no dealer in his/her right mind will gift you one of those brands.  Why?  Tell me HS, my good friend, would you, if gifted a dealer BMW, Porsche, Lexus, GT500 then sell it after 2 years just to buy a brand new Ford Fusion?  Not withstanding that money matters may necessitate it!  Do you understand now why the dyson campers are upset with you!  And you posted it here too!  

Dyson will most likely survive, with luck.  More probable as a niche seller.  TTI Floorcare in the USA and HOOVER Candy Group in the UK  will dominate the market for the common folk in hard times.   MIELE, SEBO,  RICCAR/SIMPLICITY and the classic rebuilts will rule for the high end quality minded buyers regardless of the times. 

The question that looms in the darkness of the uncertainty ahead:  Will your fave designer/inventor and so called overnight successful business man make the Forbes list?  Check the business model and see what the contingency plan says.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 29, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #22   Oct 29, 2008 8:03 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB/HARDSELL:

Clever marketing comparison coming from a person who was gifted a refurbed dyson DC07 and sold it after 2 years to buy a bagged vacuum.  Tell me HS, my friend,  would you if gifted a dealer BMW, then sell it after 2 years just to buy a brand new Ford Fusion?  Do you understand why the dyson campers are very upset with you!  And you posted it here too! 

There are no lawsuits, big box retailers, and wealthy stock investors on the horizon for your fave brand to get cash for weathering hard times.  Dyson will most likely survive, if it's lucky.  More probably as a niche seller in vacuum markets dominated by TTI Floorcare in the USA and HOOVER Candy Group in the UK  for the common folk and MIELE, SEBO, RICCAR/SIMPLICITY and classic rebuilts for the high end quality minded buyers.  But, will it make the prestigious Forbes list?   Ah yes: The answer looms in the darkness of uncertainty.  Check the business model and see what the contingency plan says.

Carmine D.

Carmine,  My DC07 was purchased new and in the box from Best Buy.  An Oreck dealer had to pay me out of his pocket because he lost the bet that we made.  You are dillusional to to think that it was a gifted refurb. 

If after 2 years I wanted a Fusion then I would sell the Beemer and buy one.  I give with love and no strings attached.  Therefore, the recipient of my gift can sell, trade or destroy the gift as they desire.  I would expect no less from one gifting to me.  BTW,  you are the only person who has made a comment on my selling of the Dyson.  Are you a Dyson camper?

CarmineD

Reply #23   Oct 29, 2008 8:58 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine,  My DC07 was purchased new and in the box from Best Buy.  An Oreck dealer had to pay me out of his pocket because he lost the bet that we made.  You are dillusional to to think that it was a gifted refurb. 

If after 2 years I wanted a Fusion then I would sell the Beemer and buy one.  I give with love and no strings attached.  Therefore, the recipient of my gift can sell, trade or destroy the gift as they desire.  I would expect no less from one gifting to me.  BTW,  you are the only person who has made a comment on my selling of the Dyson.  Are you a Dyson camper?

HARDSELL wrote:
Your nose is getting longer.    

Back at you, my friend.

Carmine D.  [ An old retired vacuum camper].

This message was modified Oct 29, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #24   Oct 30, 2008 8:42 am
Venson wrote:
Hi,

I've attached the "spec" sheet for the paired upright and portable vacuum.  Neither Ms. Sinclair or her counterpart were available today when I rang.  I tried a different number and did get someone but he couldn't tell me much as far as hard specs are concerned.  He esitimates that the upright will probably have a 400-watt motor.  As for the portable cleaner, he does not think that, suctionwise, it will be a match-up for the Swingette that Hoover has put out for some time.

Per his information, he says the cleaner is anticipated to hit the stores after New Years.

http://www.hooverpressroom.com/fact_sheets/plat_bagged_facts.pdf

Best,

Venson

Hello Venson:

Thanks for posting the spec sheets.  And the commentary on the compact cann vice the HOOVER Swingette.  As you know the original Swingette, tho compact and hand held in size, has the same motor as the full size HOOVER Dial and Power Dial, over 800 watts and one full horsepower.  In latter years, HOOVER used a different motor in the Swingette models but still as powerful for suction.

BTW, I have a Swingette that dates all the way back to 1970.  I use it all the time in the garage to vacuum my English lab, vacuum the vehicles, vacuum the filters/bins on the household vacuums, etc.  I note that just the other day the Swingette switch, a gaynor, went bad.  It double clicks now but still turns on and off.  38 years old and still going strong.  Amazing! I have ONE new gaynor replacement switch too.  Very old, old stock.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 30, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #25   Oct 30, 2008 12:18 pm
Hi Carmine,

38 years?  Wow!  Yours has the original floor tool -- right? (Like the nozzle on hte Lark stick -- two rollers, metal soleplate, about 10" wide with the tab for locking the floating brush strip stationary for bare floors.)

Hoover (TTI) is now producing them as a commercial vacuum.  I wonder if they're made of the same stuff as it's counterpart, the Eureka Mighty Mite, seem to be made of awfully flimsy stuff these days.

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #26   Oct 30, 2008 1:27 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Yours has the original floor tool -- right? (Like the nozzle on hte Lark stick -- two rollers, metal soleplate, about 10" wide with the tab for locking the floating brush strip stationary for bare floors.)

Hoover (TTI) is now producing them as a commercial vacuum.  I wonder if they're made of the same stuff as it's counterpart, the Eureka Mighty Mite, seem to be made of awfully flimsy stuff these days.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

I parted the combo floor/rug tool out long ago.  But you're absolutely right: The early Swingettes use the same nozzle as the HOOVER Lark stick vac.  Identical save the color.

The Swingettes and/or whatever they are called now are available in a more expensive Commercial model.  My feeling is the HOOVER portable is more durable and reliable than the EUREKA Mighty Mite.  MIke W.  and others who like the MM may disagree. 

Carmine D.

Actionvac

Reply #27   Oct 30, 2008 2:53 pm
The Hoover Porta powers were a great vacuum but you can bet it will now become extinct and a china throw away will be sold in it's place, the Mighty mites have more  powerfull suction but housings flimsy
Venson

Reply #28   Oct 30, 2008 8:57 pm
Actionvac wrote:
The Hoover Porta powers were a great vacuum but you can bet it will now become extinct  . . .

Maybe not.  I think they'd still bear a certain appeal to young people or just about anyone living in small confines if they were still in the stores.  I wouldn't wonder if this cleaner wasn't meant to fill the gap when they left off making the lightweight they'd sold for so many years.  Nonetheless, Hoover left off with the "household version" and its commercial incarnation now shows up in catalogs under cleaning or janitorial supplies in office supply catalogs like Staple's.

I remember the first of these because one of my oldest and dearest friends had bought one to use in her new apartment.  I liked it but strongly objected because the place wasn't that small and her household was pretty active. Quite a good party thrower and cook, she was never at want for company. Other guests and myself were often there sipping Almaden and working out more important world problems long before any of us acquired a degree. 

In any event, I suggested she take the Hoover back and get a Sunbeam 635.  A little loud but practical -- and yeah -- a nice sized disposable bag.  She did and she kept it for many years.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #29   Oct 31, 2008 7:19 am
Hi Venson:

Wonderful story.  The HOOVER Portables are still around and going strong, tho called by new names.  The Sunbeam vacuums are collectables on eBay.  A happy ending.  Either way your dear friend does well!

I tend to believe that the market niche for the HOOVER Portables as held held users for the commercial cleaning industry will be around for awhile.  HOOVER did the same with its lightweight Elite upright:  Gussied it up and made it a niche market vacuum cleaner for industrial use.  Still around too.  The variations on the household theme carves out a nice reliable market for new vacuum sales. 

Like dyson using existing components of canns and uprights to fabricate a garage and central vacuum.  Why?  He's opened all the global markets he can.  Now dyson needs to add new vacuum products that don't compete within his own brand but compliment a reportoire of household products.  I would hope with 475 engineers and over 25 years experience, dyson could produce and market these variations on the theme quickly and easily.    

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 31, 2008 by CarmineD
TTIpowerT

Reply #30   Nov 5, 2008 9:59 pm
New Hoover Platinum LINX CORDLESS micro site is now available on the Hoover.com homepage....
TTIpowerT

Reply #31   Nov 5, 2008 9:59 pm
New Hoover Platinum LINX CORDLESS micro site is now available on the Hoover.com homepage....
CarmineD

Reply #32   Nov 6, 2008 6:11 am
Impressive.  Stick and hand vac are both on the Site.  Thank you for the info.  18 Volt lithium battery.  Like the DD Accucharge hand/stick but it appears the HOOVER brand is the premium one.  Note that both of the HOOVER products [stick and hand] are Energy Star rated too like the DD. 

Good timing too on the Energy Star ratings.  Based on the political persuasion of the current US President elect, taking the country green is one of his top 5 Agenda items/priorities.  On that issue/point, the Pres elect and the Holy Father are on the same song sheet!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 6, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #33   Nov 6, 2008 8:46 am
Thanks for the heads up! Does anyone have specifics on the run time? It's a bit pricey for a stick vac but worth it if it lives up to its specs. I like the six-year warranty.

I wonder how the "big boxers" are going to present it.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #34   Nov 7, 2008 6:59 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks for the heads up! Does anyone have specifics on the run time? It's a bit pricey for a stick vac but worth it if it lives up to its specs. I like the six-year warranty.

I wonder how the "big boxers" are going to present it.

Best,

Venson

Hello Venson:

Six years warranty on cordless hand [MSRP $130] and stick cleaners [MSRP $180] is an industry first.  But of note is that the battery and charger are covered for only 2 years.  Run time?  Billed as 2X normal for battery charged running times.  I'd suspect this means 20-30 minutes on a regular charge.  A nice feature is the battery indicator: Comparable to a vehicle's gas gauge.  Interestingly, the PL stick has the famous WT technology and a brush roll.  Hence the lofty MSRP.  But as you say, maybe worth it.  Why?  Is this the first step toward a full size cordless battery operated upright.  Maybe!  if so, the next major accomplishment in the vacuum industry to rival the robotic cleaners.

Your question about presentation is very insightful.  The Dirt Devil Accucharge handheld is at Wal*Mart stores for a regular price of $45.  Will W*M stores carry the higher priced Platinum Linx cordless stick and/or hand vac in the stores?   I think yes.  Why?  W*M [and COSTCO for that matter] are the only retailers holding their own with sales this year and with predictions for the future.  How well will the high priced PL products sell among the hoi polloi?  Depends in large part on the answer to your question. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 7, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #35   Nov 7, 2008 10:52 am
Hi Carmine,

Eureka tried it way back when and Westinghouse -- or some company using the name -- had a go at this just a few years back. First issue for the Westinghouse was that it didn't clean well per CR tests. I don't know if the battery proved an issue as a back-up for continued cleaning was available.

Nilfisk now has the GD911, a commercial canister claimed to give 60 minutes of run time.

http://www.nilfisk.com/Products/VacuumCleaners/CommercialVacuumCleaners/CommercialVacs/GD911BATTERY/GD911Battery/Introduction.aspx

(Sorry no auto-link this time. I'm using a beta version of Internet Explorer 8 and it most annoyingly has changed the view when I log on. Can't see the toolbar here anymore.)

Best,

Venson
M00seUK

Reply #36   Nov 7, 2008 11:02 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Six years warranty on cordless hand [MSRP $130] and stick cleaners [MSRP $180] is an industry first.  But of note is that the battery and charger are covered for only 2 years.  Run time?  Billed as 2X normal for battery charged running times.  I'd suspect this means 20-30 minutes on a regular charge.  A nice feature is the battery indicator: Comparable to a vehicle's gas gauge.  Interestingly, the PL stick has the famous WT technology and a brush roll.  Hence the lofty MSRP.  But as you say, maybe worth it.  Why?  Is this the first step toward a full size cordless battery operated upright.  Maybe!  if so, the next major accomplishment in the vacuum industry to rival the robotic cleaners.

Your question about presentation is very insightful.  The Dirt Devil Accucharge handheld is at Wal*Mart stores for a regular price of $45.  Will W*M stores carry the higher priced Platinum Linx cordless stick and/or hand vac in the stores?   I think yes.  Why?  W*M [and COSTCO for that matter] are the only retailers holding their own with sales this year and with predictions for the future.  How well will the high priced PL products sell among the hoi polloi?  Depends in large part on the answer to your question. 

Carmine D.

If the battery run time *is* 20-30mins, then (the hand held) is desirable to the Dyson DC16. However, given that they don't give a run time and the animated chart shows figures for Ni-cads compared to Li-Ion, I'd suggest this isn't the case. Dyson were here two years previous, which much the same design - 'must have saved them a fair whack on their R&D... again.

In Dyson land, the car and boat DC16 handheld makes an appearance :-

http://www.dyson.co.uk/store/product.asp?product=DC16-CARANDBOAT

It simply appears to offer a 12volt charger in place of the mains charger. Great for caravan / boat use, but limited benefit for car, since it doesn't appear you can use it direct from the supply.

This message was modified Nov 7, 2008 by M00seUK
Venson

Reply #37   Nov 7, 2008 11:55 am
M00seUK wrote:
Great for caravan / boat use, but limited benefit for car, since it doesn't appear you can use it direct from the supply.

Hi M00seUK,

How's it going? I think first they should concentrate on the version with the revolving brush. AND -- I don't know if this is unreasonable ask:

A. They could go for a rechargable model that can run on battery or be plugged into a household electrical outlet not just for charging but for continued use same as an electric razor.

B. They might consider the same idea for running one of these of a car's electrical system.

As usual, my main argument is that Dyson is charging too much for a bit more convenience not to be built into its handhelds. I could get the same cleaning result for fifty bucks or less and be just as happy.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #38   Nov 8, 2008 7:13 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Eureka tried it way back when and Westinghouse -- or some company using the name -- had a go at this just a few years back. First issue for the Westinghouse was that it didn't clean well per CR tests. I don't know if the battery proved an issue as a back-up for continued cleaning was available.

Nilfisk now has the GD911, a commercial canister claimed to give 60 minutes of run time.

http://www.nilfisk.com/Products/VacuumCleaners/CommercialVacuumCleaners/CommercialVacs/GD911BATTERY/GD911Battery/Introduction.aspx

(Sorry no auto-link this time. I'm using a beta version of Internet Explorer 8 and it most annoyingly has changed the view when I log on. Can't see the toolbar here anymore.)

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Familiar with the Westinghouse, tho not the EUREKA.  Mike W. pointed out at the time, 2003, that Salton was the maker and used, with sanction, the Westinghouse brand name.  Salton/Westinghouse frequently advertised the vacuum with the claim: "We just made history."

It even revived the famous slogan: "You can be sure.......if its Westinghouse."  Called the Unplugged Cordless Vacuum.  MSRP $299.  Came with 2 battery powerpacks with a run time of 30 minutes each.    Linens-N-Things, now in bankruptcy, carried the Unplugged Cordfree Westinghouse along with other retailers.  Used nickel-cadmium batteries.  Very shortlived.  After July 2004, Consumer Reports stopped rating and it's last comments:  "Best" for light duty jobs and cleaned bare floors well."  CR rated it a "fair" for rug cleaning, an upright's primary function.  I believe CR was generous in deference to the storied name.

Good info on the Nifisk battery powered cann/upright.  60 minutes for run times, if true, is impressive.  I suspect pricey, tho not sure.  And apparently only 220 volts.  Do you know price info?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 8, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #39   Nov 8, 2008 9:15 am
Hi Carmine,

The Eureka was an all red hard-bodied upright called the "Freedom" (or something to that effect). Advertisements for it popped up in magazines but before you know it was gone. I did not see it in any stores.

I'll check out the price on the Nilfisk GD911 on Monday. A rechargeable version of the company's Back-uum is being sold as the Acro-Batt in the U.S. Link to a PDF brochure follows.

http://www.advance-us.com/~/media/Products/Vacuums/AcroBatt/Factsheets/l1651a%20adv%20com%20acrobatt%20cfs.pdf.ashx

I have a corded version of this machine. It's built for user comfort and is pretty good for general cleaning although the bag is small.

Venson
Venson

Reply #40   Nov 8, 2008 12:36 pm
Venson wrote:
. . . The Eureka was an all red hard-bodied upright called the "Freedom" (or something to that effect). Advertisements for it popped up in magazines but before you know it was gone. I did not see it in any stores.

Hi again Carmine,

The Eureka Freedom was model 6350A. Can't seem to dig up a full image of it but did find an exploded diagram (link follows).

http://www.elkypro.com/hoops2005/vacuum_parts/eureka/e_6300.html

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #41   Nov 9, 2008 7:03 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

The Eureka was an all red hard-bodied upright called the "Freedom" (or something to that effect). Advertisements for it popped up in magazines but before you know it was gone. I did not see it in any stores.

I'll check out the price on the Nilfisk GD911 on Monday. A rechargeable version of the company's Back-uum is being sold as the Acro-Batt in the U.S. Link to a PDF brochure follows.

http://www.advance-us.com/~/media/Products/Vacuums/AcroBatt/Factsheets/l1651a%20adv%20com%20acrobatt%20cfs.pdf.ashx

I have a corded version of this machine. It's built for user comfort and is pretty good for general cleaning although the bag is small.

Venson
Venson wrote:
Hi again Carmine,

The Eureka Freedom was model 6350A. Can't seem to dig up a full image of it but did find an exploded diagram (link follows).

http://www.elkypro.com/hoops2005/vacuum_parts/eureka/e_6300.html

Venson

Hello Venson:

Thanks for posting the above info on the cordless vacuums.  It appears the TTI Platinum Linx line has some current and past standards in the industry to be measured against.  Will be interesting to see how well TTI measures up in sales, performance and price. 

The Nilfisk Acro-Batt cordless is an interesting machine.  Tho, I suspect that the claim to clean 30,000 sq feet on its 22 minute run time [btw this is less than the 60 minute run times for the Nilfisk up/cann which begs the why question] applies to an olympic champion in this cleaning event.  I can do about 1500 plus sq ft in a leisurely mode [with an 11 year old English lab shadowing me] in about a 25/30 minute run time [HOOVER Slider, btw after two years of charging the run time has halved].  While mine may not be the best measure and environment, there is quite a discrepancy. 

Nilfisk acro-batt uses nickel metal hydride batteries [the choice of most power tools] which take 75 minutes to charge.  Decent charge time.  Does your corded model have the "articulated joint?"  If so, how well does it work?  I thought that this is an interesting feature from a comfort perspective for the user.  And opined how it would have been conceived and added by the company, lest it specifically asked users for feedback.  Is your bag 3.3 quart capacity too?  Which measures up/bests most full size bagless dirt bins, but falls short of the better bagged capacities.

The EUREKA Freedom appears to be a model from the 90's?  Is that the correct time?  Curious why it died w/o mention?

Thanks Venson.  All forthcoming intelligence is appreciated.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 9, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #42   Nov 9, 2008 11:49 am
CarmineD wrote:
</div><p>Hello Venson:</p><p>Nilfisk acro-batt uses nickel metal hydride batteries [the choice of most power tools] which take 75 minutes to charge.  Decent charge time.  Does your corded model have the &quot;articulated joint?&quot;  If so, how well does it work?  I thought that this is an interesting feature from a comfort perspective for the user.  And opined how it would have been conceived and added by the company, lest it specifically asked users for feedback.  Is your bag 3.3 quart capacity too?  Which measures up/bests most full size bagless dirt bins, but falls short of the better bagged capacities. </p><p>The EUREKA Freedom appears to be a model from the 90's?  Is that the correct time?  Curious why it died w/o mention?</p><p>Thanks Venson.  All forthcoming intelligence is appreciated.</p><p>Carmine D.

Hi,

I believe the Eureka 6350A was produced some time during the latter 1980s.

My landlord used to kid me about the Nilfisk whenever I'd have it out. It looks something like whatever that thing was they carried around on their backs in Ghost Busters. (Every now and then he asks if I still have it.)

That joint is a flexible rubber fitting between the motor unit and the bag chamber at the top. Nilfisk has been using this design for a good while and it's a much better design idea than the standard backpack vacuum as the split unit flexes as you bend. Working with it is quite a comfortable situation when doing stairs or cleaning overhead but it can be a problem if you move into tight confines and need to turn here or there.

The Back-uum produces great suction and the bag size for my purposes is fine. I would wonder how well it would fare in a large commercial environment where there's lots more fine dust to encounter. The hose is narrower at its working end and wider at the end connecting to the cleaner to help prevent clogging. Electrolux used to use the same idea.

My model, a rarity, also has an outlet for a power nozzle but I was never able to find an electrified hose or external cord set that would have allowed me use of it. It's a fine machine if you do vacuuming only. However, for normal duty where you may well need to leave off vacuuming to handle other cleaning tasks as you go, it may mean having to take the machine off and put it on again repeatedly.

By the way, I checked out the Hoover site to see if they sold replacement batteries for your Slider but all I saw was the charger replacement. Per the user manual, replacing the battery is doable. What the cost is -- I don't know.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #43   Nov 9, 2008 1:20 pm
Thanks for the info Venson: 

I should have known the 80's, its upright style is a giveaway.  EUREKA revamped uprights for the 90's.

The Nifisk Back-um sounds exciting as does the cordless.

You're right, the lux 30's started the tapered end hose and used for many years on their models. 

BTW, I purchased over dozen HOOVER Sliders and gifted most away.  But kept 2 for me.  With both charged now and ready for usage, I can cover the same cleaning area, if I chose [1500 sq feet], with 30 minutes of total run time. 

Thanks Venson.  Onward and upward.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 9, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #44   Dec 3, 2008 4:08 pm
I have not followed this thread to close, I do not know if this has been discussed...  It looks like this Platinum stick has no Windtunnel as TTI advertises.  Anyone?

This message was modified Dec 3, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

hoovergroover

Reply #45   Dec 3, 2008 5:57 pm
I work / worked for Hoover these units will hit the stores @ $179.99 (stick vac) 199.99 as of now at service centers..  who knows if you have a relationship with one of us maybe you could get a hellofa deal.. (we are closing).. your right where is the windtunnel.. none.. (Ithought it would dilute the name)...but that is not to say this thing is not a complete beast.. You can dump a 3-4 inch pile of crap on the floor and it will devoure it. It runs for 12-16 minutes on a charge using a lithium ion battery which charges full in 3 Hours. No degradation of suction over time when the battery is out is just cuts off. It is sweet. No edge cleaning, but put a pebble or whatever is small and heavy on the edge approach the object head on and the opening in the front will pick it up. I love the thing! I clean our store with it all the time it is all I use. The hand vac is ok.. the duster doesn't stay out.. put a half pound of pressure on it it goes back over the crevice tool. But it has good suction and good run time. Pray for us at Hoover, we need it, let us find jobs and support our little families... Our last day is Dec 31, 2008. God bless.
Venson

Reply #46   Dec 3, 2008 9:21 pm
hoovergroover wrote:
I work / worked for Hoover these units will hit the stores @ $179.99 (stick vac) 199.99 as of now at service centers..  who knows if you have a relationship with one of us maybe you could get a hellofa deal.. (we are closing).. your right where is the windtunnel.. none.. (Ithought it would dilute the name)...but that is not to say this thing is not a complete beast.. You can dump a 3-4 inch pile of crap on the floor and it will devoure it. It runs for 12-16 minutes on a charge using a lithium ion battery which charges full in 3 Hours. No degradation of suction over time when the battery is out is just cuts off. It is sweet. No edge cleaning, but put a pebble or whatever is small and heavy on the edge approach the object head on and the opening in the front will pick it up. I love the thing! I clean our store with it all the time it is all I use. The hand vac is ok.. the duster doesn't stay out.. put a half pound of pressure on it it goes back over the crevice tool. But it has good suction and good run time. Pray for us at Hoover, we need it, let us find jobs and support our little families... Our last day is Dec 31, 2008. God bless.

Hey hoovergroover,

I'm very glad to hear good things about the Hoover Platinum lightweight.  Nonetheless, I may be being made "redunant" in not too long a time myself so I cannot only sympathize but empathize.  I sincerely, hope that you and the other workers can transition from your present situations to a new ones without much problem. 

Odd isn't?  People going around literally trampling other people to death just buy things but, even for all, that businesses can't afford to pay employees.

Anyway . . . again . . . may this all prove merely a small inconvenient point in your history.

Best,

Venson
TTIpowerT

Reply #47   Dec 3, 2008 9:56 pm
RESPONDING TO DYSONINVENTSBIG POST/PHOTOS:

The Hoover Linx Stick Vac DOES have WINDTUNNEL Technology. The photo you took has the bottom cover on and looks exactly like any other Hoover WindTunnel from that view (exception being WT2 units bc bright green/orange/red color chambers).

If you remove the bottom cover (as i'm sure you have) and compare with other Hoover WT uprights you'll see it's exactly the same. It is of course designed to scale around the brushroll as the Linx Stick Vac has a smaller nozzle then other WT uprights and yet still out cleans the leading corded upright competitors! :)
This message was modified Dec 3, 2008 by TTIpowerT
DysonInventsBig

Reply #48   Dec 4, 2008 1:46 am
hoovergroover wrote:

Hoovergroover,

I could not be any more sorry for your situation.  I have and will continue to pray for you and yours and the many other Americans who need Gods help.  Keep trusting in Him, He has delivered the answer, opened doors, etc., for me and my family many, many times.        DIB

P.S.  Thanks for the Windtunnel response.
This message was modified Dec 4, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

DysonInventsBig

Reply #49   Dec 4, 2008 2:27 am
TTIpowerT wrote:

The Hoover Linx Stick Vac DOES have WINDTUNNEL Technology. The photo you took has the bottom cover on and looks exactly like any other Hoover WindTunnel from that view (exception being WT2 units bc bright green/orange/red color chambers).

If you remove the bottom cover (as i'm sure you have) and compare with other Hoover WT uprights you'll see it's exactly the same. It is of course designed to scale around the brushroll as the Linx Stick Vac has a smaller nozzle then other WT uprights and yet still out cleans the leading corded upright competitors! :)

TTIpower,

I've never seen this vac in person and only pulled the undercarriage image off another site and used a promo pic too.  It does not look like there is a Windtunnel there.  HooverGrover says no Windtunnel and you're saying there is.  It is clear as mud. :)  Can you describe the filtration?  What is the leading corded upright (I assmue you're talking corded stick)?

Is the $120 price tag on the Platinium handheld is in response to the $149 Dyson Handleld and/or it's sucess?
Thanks.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #50   Dec 4, 2008 7:28 am
Hello TTIpowerT:

Your description of the HOOVER WT technology fits my WT Upright Supreme perfectly.  WT technology maximizes the suction power produced by the vacuum/revolving brush equally across the entire nozzle opening.  Unlike most uprights which have uneven [from poor to better] suction power across the nozzle opening.  The latter requires several passes over the same carpet area for comparable WT cleaning results with a single pass.  I like the cordless stick vacuum and price.  Glad to hear good initial reviews.

Hoovergroover:

Sorry to hear the news about your employment situation with HOOVER/TTI.  Maybe it's an opportunity to venture out and possibly open up your own vacuum cleaner business.   You have the industry background and foundation.  The rest will come easily. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 4, 2008 by CarmineD
hoovergroover

Reply #51   Dec 4, 2008 10:15 am
TTIpowerT wrote:

Perhaps your confused about what windtunnel means. Windtunnel refers to the 3 disinct air pathways generated inside the agitator housing. The first being on the leading edged of the cleaner which travels the entire length of the agitator housing which picks larger litter. The second refers to the helix design of the agitator. As is spins it creates the vortex. The last steps in "windtunnel" is the rear air pathway which also covers the entire length of the agitator housing which picks the fine dust agitated out of the carpet. These 3 distinct pathways is "Windtunnel". The linx stick vac does have the helix brush, and as the picture shows it lacks the same front nozzle pathway and the rear pathway is different as well. Not to say this design isn't good, it picks up better than the Hoover flair. Not do to it's power (motor), but due to the nozzle design (center nozzle cut out) and the bristle length. However as a side note, which some of you may see a benifit to (finer carpets ie. wool/silk) the bristle tensile strength is not nearly as aggresive as the fullsized uprights or can powerheads which I am sure some of you did not like not because it didn't clean, but because the brush is stiff and perhaps wear certain carpets although I can't testify to that statement. TTI did do many many things correct. I'll name some just to be fair and in hopes that they read this although they already know. TTI had the hopes of being the most admired floor care company in the world. This was to be centered around genuine authentic people, innovative products and first class customer service. If a unit was a little out of warranty.. cover it.. if somebody lived to far away from a service center or authorized warranty center send them a new unit.. Customer is very angry.. send them a new cleaner.. Price not low enough.. lower it.. deal not sweet enough give them free bags or detergent. Their products ( ok some say and it may be so that they are copying some designs) were getting better. Evident by changes to the F7 series steamvac upper tanks, the Self Proppled actuator arm reinforcement evident by the double x's hot stamped on the bar and don't forget the S3670 (ok looks like a miele and some others..). The quality was and still may be there, and is getting better. Look at the new 3 and 6 years warranty.. 
This message was modified Dec 12, 2008 by hoovergroover
CarmineD

Reply #52   Dec 5, 2008 7:07 am
Hello Hoovergroover:

The lease costs/overhead were killing the stores' bottom lines even before TTI bought HOOVER.  Some questions: What's really for sale with the HOOVER FACTORY STORES?  Who has money to buy in the current economy?  What are you really buying?  

The new vacuum inventory can/probably is being sold off at bargain basement prices.  What's left?  A lease.  On an unprofitable space in a market that is saturated with unrented stores.  Some unwanted vacuum parts.  Some customer names and numbers [of which only 10 percent are probably loyal HOOVER brand customers].  Some hand tools [if they don't already belong to the staff].  Maybe a store telephone number!  How much are all these together worth?  

Is the HOOVER name for sale with the store lease/buy?  If so, that's an intangible asset with real value.  If I were younger and so inclined, I'd seek out a good store location where the building is for sale [if there are any] and negotiate a deal to buy it.  The building is a tangible asset in a depressed market [regardless of the store business].  Add the HOOVER name to the building, the buyer gets a plus with the purchase of the building for a vacuum business.  

WRT HOOVER WT technology, and I haven't seen the new HOOVER Cordless stick vac up close and personal, it looks like HOOVER borrowed a page from the Floormate design for the new stick vacuum nozzle.  If so, I opine that perhaps HOOVER changed the configuration of the WT technology design/components while still achieving the WT technology effects.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 5, 2008 by CarmineD
TTIpowerT

Reply #53   Dec 5, 2008 9:59 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Hoovergroover:<p>The lease costs/overhead were killing the stores' bottom lines even before TTI bought HOOVER.  Some questions: What's really for sale with the HOOVER FACTORY STORES?  Who has money to buy in the current economy?  What are you really buying?  </p><p>The new vacuum inventory can/probably is being sold off at bargain basement prices.  What's left?  A lease.  On an unprofitable space in a market that is saturated with unrented stores.  Some unwanted vacuum parts.  Some customer names and numbers [of which only 10 percent are probably loyal HOOVER brand customers].  Some hand tools [if they don't already belong to the staff].  Maybe a store telephone number!  How much are all these together worth?  </p><p>Is the HOOVER name for sale with the store lease/buy?  If so, that's an intangible asset with real value.  If I were younger and so inclined, I'd seek out a good store location where the building is for sale [if there are any] and negotiate a deal to buy it.  The building is a tangible asset in a depressed market [regardless of the store business].  Add the HOOVER name to the building, the buyer gets a plus with the purchase of the building for a vacuum business.  </p><p>WRT HOOVER WT technology, and I haven't seen the new HOOVER Cordless stick vac up close and personal, it looks like HOOVER borrowed a page from the Floormate design for the new stick vacuum nozzle.  If so, I opine that perhaps HOOVER changed the configuration of the WT technology design/components while still achieving the WT technology effects.</p><p>Carmine D.

Carmine,

A quick replay regarding the Linx Stick Vac....Again, the WT technology design follows the same engineering configuration as your WT corded upright and is scaled down to the smaller nozzle/brush roll.

The Linx Stick Vac outperforms traditional CORDED UPRIGHTS Per ASTM F2607.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #54   Dec 5, 2008 1:15 pm
Re: Hoover Linx Platinum Stick Vacuum.

Would anyone with knowledge care to discuss...
  •  The choke point (i.e., the weakest link in the filtration chain)?  So how does it filter exactly?
  •  What is the filter maintenance schedule and how is it performed (how to clean)?
  •  The battery shutting down/off instead of running down like most vacuums - smells of marketing "hype".  Am I missing something, where is the mechanical benefit?  Anyone?

DIB
This message was modified Dec 5, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #55   Dec 5, 2008 2:03 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

•  The choke point (i.e., the weakest link in the filtration chain)?  So how does it filter exactly?
  •  What is the filter maintenance schedule and how is it performed (how to clean)?
  •  The battery shutting down/off instead of running down like most vacuums - smells of marketing "hype".  Am I missing something, where is the mechanical benefit?  Anyone?

DIB

Hi DIB,

One -- the "no fade" supply of power simply assures peak suction instead of using a decreasing supply of power for the cleaner to run on.  A degrading power supply leads a situation where you're merely pushing around dirt and possibly grinding it into your flooring.  What's that worth? As in all things -- when you can't do it anymore it's time to stop.

Two -- Cleaning the filter each time you empty the dirt cup is recommended.

Three -- The filtration method is a combined one.  "Cyclonics" spin off the heavier stuff and a foam filter catches finer particles.

URL for the user manual PDF is here -- http://www.hoover.com/pdfs/manuals/BH50010.pdf
This message was modified Dec 5, 2008 by Venson
Lucky1

Reply #56   Dec 5, 2008 2:09 pm
I'm always trying to discern the dynamic of things both visible and behind the scenes. I can't help but think the Internet, Big Box Stores and myopic "sales numbers at any cost" mentality as entirely to blame for the demise of what was once a premier name.

This aforementioned business model is also being done by Dyson....we shall see the results shortly....

There is enough money to be made in the vacuum business giving the public a quality product at a good mark up if everyone didn't try to cutthroat each other for sales numbers!

Everyone from consumer to dealer to manufacturer would do well enough if....

1. They made a quality, durable, repairable product.

2. It were sold through a Reputable Dealer network at the lowest price that makes economic sense to both dealer & Mfg

3. Vacuums were NOT available on the Dealer Website!!!!!!! This goes for parts as well (DYSON)

4. Internet dealers must charge a MINIMUM of $50 more per vacuum than that could be bought on the internet. (this prevents undercutting price by no sales tax & free shipping)

5. Big Box Stores could only carry stripped down models

The Mfgs would have solid reputations that consumers would align themselves with as lifetime customers. There would be a reliable chain of Dealer/Service?repair network to maintain Customer Loyalty
The landfill from disposable vacuums would be spared as well!
CarmineD

Reply #57   Dec 5, 2008 2:51 pm
Hello Lucky1:

You eloquently synopsized the reasons for HOOVER's fall from grace.  Goes back to a conscious decision to kow tow to the big box retailers at the expense of the authorized HOOVER dealers.  A decision that was made for the most part in the mid 60's and executed since then by HOOVER, slowly descimating and desecrating the quantity and quality of the network of authorized HOOVER dealers throughout the country.  The ones on the front line who picked up the slack when products failed. 

All the bad business decisions that ultimately diminished the HOOVER brand can be traced back to THE one that put the big box retailers and chains on a pedestal for selling HOOVER product.  It is and was a failed marketing strategy for the HOOVER brand name's reputation. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #58   Dec 5, 2008 3:17 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
I'm always trying to discern the dynamic of things both visible and behind the scenes. I can't help but think the Internet, Big Box Stores and myopic "sales numbers at any cost" mentality as entirely to blame for the demise of what was once a premier name.

This aforementioned business model is also being done by Dyson....we shall see the results shortly....

There is enough money to be made in the vacuum business giving the public a quality product at a good mark up if everyone didn't try to cutthroat each other for sales numbers!

Everyone from consumer to dealer to manufacturer would do well enough if....

1. They made a quality, durable, repairable product.

2. It were sold through a Reputable Dealer network at the lowest price that makes economic sense to both dealer & Mfg

3. Vacuums were NOT available on the Dealer Website!!!!!!! This goes for parts as well (DYSON)

4. Internet dealers must charge a MINIMUM of $50 more per vacuum than that could be bought on the internet. (this prevents undercutting price by no sales tax & free shipping)

5. Big Box Stores could only carry stripped down models

The Mfgs would have solid reputations that consumers would align themselves with as lifetime customers. There would be a reliable chain of Dealer/Service?repair network to maintain Customer Loyalty
The landfill from disposable vacuums would be spared as well!
There is a huge difference between Dyson and Hoover.  Dyson invented product that had a built-in, ready and waiting market to sell to. - People who wanted better performing products.  Dyson and no/few others delivered real-world, radical and measurable innovations.  But that’s changing, the slow-pokes are finally awaking from their NIH slumber.  Steve Jobs brought Apple back from the brink of extinction and did it primarily by out inventing and/or building products people want.  And consumers gladly pay Jobs a premium for it (just like Dyson).        DIB

DysonInventsBig

Reply #59   Dec 5, 2008 5:21 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

DIB

Venson wrote:
Hi DIB,

One -- the "no fade" supply of power simply assures peak suction instead of using a decreasing supply of power for the cleaner to run on.  A degrading power supply leads a situation where you're merely pushing around dirt and possibly grinding it into your flooring.  What's that worth? As in all things -- when you can't do it anymore it's time to stop.

Two -- Cleaning the filter each time you empty the dirt cup is recommended.

Three -- The filtration method is a combined one.  "Cyclonics" spin off the heavier stuff and a foam filter catches finer particles.

URL for the user manual PDF is here -- http://www.hoover.com/pdfs/manuals/BH50010.pdf

Hi Venson,

Thanks for the pdf link and the many other articles you post too!  It is appreciated.

I'm going after Hoover (not you)...
Wow!  Red Hoover sure put their billions and engineering heads down and came up with some high tech and forward thinking filtration...  a piece of foam.  How much dust re-enters the room I wonder?  But when the foam clogs it should answer the problem of the dust re-entering the environment. - Problem solved.

If TTI were to offer the same arrangement in their power tools, that is - cut off all power in their cordless tools and alike instead of a gradual depletion they would be the laughing stock of power tools.  When the stick’s foam clogs, a depleting battery (lower air speeds) will make the vac look worse than it really is..  It will not suck/barely suck.  Hoover is famous for finding work-around (fixes) to their own engineering ineptness by having their marketing department figure out ways to turn ineptness into a marketable feature (i.e. “hype”). There is no science that explains why shutting down the batteries is a better idea when there is still plenty of energy left in them.  These guys (Maytag and Red) lie thru their teeth and do it over long periods of time.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #60   Dec 5, 2008 5:45 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Dyson and no/few others delivered real-world, radical and measurable innovations.  Steve Jobs brought Apple back from the brink of extinction and did it primarily by out inventing and/or building products people want.  And consumers gladly pay Jobs a premium for it (just like Dyson).        DIB

Hello DIB:

Seems you are subject to Freudian slips and like to refer to dyson in the past tense.  Not the first time!  Did the 2008 dyson bonus money dry up, leaving you high and dry? 

Jobs also brought Apple to the brink of the precipice in his first stint there and was "fired" and replaced by Sculi [Pepsi].  Seems inventors and founders are not always the best to run their own companies.  This is Job's second chance.  Amazing what a firing does for one's humility!  Like the song says:  Love is lovelier the second time around. 

Glad to hear you say that dysons sell at a premium [read: overpriced].  Tho, I suspect not for the reason you say as good as it sounds.  Buyers determine the products they want, not the company and its marketing department.  Retailers lower prices from MSRP and offer buyer incentives until buyers take the bait.  I've noticed retailers' prices for your fave brand getting discounted from MSRP by 10, 15, 20 percent and the incentives going up: $50 and $100 Gift Cards.  Both indications buyers are staying away and inventory is mounting up.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #61   Dec 5, 2008 6:56 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Dyson and no/few others delivered real-world, radical and measurable innovations.  Steve Jobs brought Apple back from the brink of extinction and did it primarily by out inventing and/or building products people want.  And consumers gladly pay Jobs a premium for it (just like Dyson).        DIB

CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Seems you are subject to Freudian slips and like to refer to dyson in the past tense.  Not the first time!  Did the 2008 dyson bonus money dry up, leaving you high and dry? 

Jobs also brought Apple to the brink of the precipice in his first stint there and was "fired" and replaced by Sculi [Pepsi].  Seems inventors and founders are not always the best to run their own companies.  This is Job's second chance.  Amazing what a firing does for one's humility!  Like the song says:  Love is lovelier the second time around. 

Glad to hear you say that dysons sell at a premium [read: overpriced].  Tho, I suspect not for the reason you say as good as it sounds.  Buyers determine the products they want, not the company and its marketing department.  Retailers lower prices from MSRP and offer buyer incentives until buyers take the bait.  I've noticed retailers' prices for your fave brand getting discounted from MSRP by 10, 15, 20 percent and the incentives going up: $50 and $100 Gift Cards.  Both indications buyers are staying away and inventory is mounting up.

Carmine D.

Hey Carmine,

So I did.

I remember Lou Dobbs laughingly scoff at Jobs (in a live interview @ MacWorld) when he returned to Apple and predicted his new translucent [Dyson inspired] blue iMac was going to save Apple Computer.

Overpriced is a relative term.  What’s wrong with premium pricing when alternative products (not saying with the same capabilities) can be had?

Dyson or whomever not selling thru or as well during this time in history is not unusual.  Have you not noticed Oreck and his lipstick wearing 30 year old namesakes?  The bricks have been marked down (giveaways) 3 times in the last month. - Take a look. Does it please you to hear Oreck has to do whatever it takes to survive too?

What?  No complaining when Red requires their Linx stick vac users to clean their high tech filtration-foam after every use?  But only complaining when it is Dyson requiring monthly cleaning on 2 of their many products?

DIB

Venson

Reply #62   Dec 5, 2008 9:09 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hi Venson,

Thanks for the pdf link and the many other articles you post too!  It is appreciated.

I'm going after Hoover (not you)...
Wow!  Red Hoover sure put their billions and engineering heads down and came up with some high tech and forward thinking filtration...  a piece of foam.  How much dust re-enters the room I wonder?  But when the foam clogs it should answer the problem of the dust re-entering the environment. - Problem solved.

If TTI were to offer the same arrangement in their power tools, that is - cut off all power in their cordless tools and alike instead of a gradual depletion they would be the laughing stock of power tools.  When the stick’s foam clogs, a depleting battery (lower air speeds) will make the vac look worse than it really is..  It will not suck/barely suck.  Hoover is famous for finding work-around (fixes) to their own engineering ineptness by having their marketing department figure out ways to turn ineptness into a marketable feature (i.e. “hype”). There is no science that explains why shutting down the batteries is a better idea when there is still plenty of energy left in them.  These guys (Maytag and Red) lie thru their teeth and do it over long periods of time.

DIB

Hi DIB,

Don't play 'em cheap.  First of all my Kenmore Iridium canister has a foam filter.  The filterless dust collection bin does a very good job of cyclonically containing both the heavy and fine stuff it captures.  It has a foam filter, not at all large in size, that looks in need of cleaning about every few weeks if you empty the bin frequently.  It's all a matter of good design.

In this case we're talking about a lightweight vacuum that has only a 16-minute run time and is really not intended for heavy duty work despite its high price.  It's doubtful that a vacuum intended for light duty will be put to the kind of use to either cause it to or have opportunity to clog up all that much.  If this lightweight had a more impressive runtime, 30 or 40 minutes, I definitely see more of a problem because users might well think it had the same abilities as a full-size corded vac.  Of course we must make exception for users who may believe that "love never means you have to say your sorry," may also believe that  "bagless" means you never have to empty your vacuum.

Venson
Lucky1

Reply #63   Dec 5, 2008 10:35 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
There is a huge difference between Dyson and Hoover.  Dyson invented product that had a built-in, ready and waiting market to sell to. - People who wanted better performing products.  Dyson and no/few others delivered real-world, radical and measurable innovations.  But that’s changing, the slow-pokes are finally awaking from their NIH slumber.  Steve Jobs brought Apple back from the brink of extinction and did it primarily by out inventing and/or building products people want.  And consumers gladly pay Jobs a premium for it (just like Dyson).        DIB

I believe you are approaching my post from a technological stand point, yet I am discussing a marketing strategy. Go back and read my post and tell me where Dyson differs.
CarmineD

Reply #64   Dec 6, 2008 6:05 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Does it please you to hear Oreck has to do whatever it takes to survive too?

What?  No complaining when Red requires their Linx stick vac users to clean their high tech filtration-foam after every use?  But only complaining when it is Dyson requiring monthly cleaning on 2 of their many products?

DIB

Hello DIB:

Lest you forget, I'll refresh your memory.  ORECK suffered a direct hit on its New Orleans LA plant in August 2005 by Hurricane Katrina. It didn't miss a beat.  First, ORECK accounted for all its employees:  Paid them their full salaries and benefits during all the ORECK down time; moved its Headquarters operations temporarily to Texas; conducted business operations out of its network of 500 Clean Home Health Centers; and permanently relocated its production facilities to Tennessee.  During the aftermath of the Hurricane, ORECK family members reached out to the medical facilities and shelters to assist the Hurricane victims by contributing their time and money to the recovery efforts.  Sadly, several dyson campers wallowed in ORECK's tragic events and circumstances.  Boldly declaring ORECK dead, and ready to dance on its grave.   You forget! 

Your foam filter analysis is foolhardy.  The HOOVER TTI "cordless" Linx stick vacuum is for quick pick ups and sells for $179.   Your fave "corded" full sized vacuum sells for $400 plus.  And dyson's false/exaggerated claims that it never clogged with nearly maintenance free lifetime filters and zero costs.  Dyson traditionally likes to match itself up against lesser expensive brands and models.  Rather than equally expensive and, heaven forbid, more expensive brands.   Self-serving comparisons.  Admissions of overpricing.   Lest you forget too, I'll remind you, that the 2 dyson models you cite which require monthly filter maintenance are it's latest and greatest for $400/$500 plus.  Better than reading the funnies.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 6, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #65   Dec 6, 2008 7:51 am
TTIpowerT wrote:
Carmine,

A quick replay regarding the Linx Stick Vac....Again, the WT technology design follows the same engineering configuration as your WT corded upright and is scaled down to the smaller nozzle/brush roll.

Thanks TTIPowerT for the follow up response to set me straight.  I'm amazed whenever I use the WT vice any other vacuum for carpet cleaning.  The difference is glaring.  Nothing bar none compares with the HOOVER WT for rug and carpet cleaning and grooming.  A smart poster here said that the WT is the Gold Standard for carpet cleaning.  He is right.  And it wasn't me.

Carmine D.

Actionvac

Reply #66   Dec 6, 2008 1:11 pm
Anyone buying a Hoover now with its service network gone would be foolish or uneducated or both
CarmineD

Reply #67   Dec 6, 2008 3:59 pm
Hello Actionvac:

I have to agree if they buy from the big box retailers.  If they buy from a vacuum store, consumers will be better served for parts and service.  There is an irony in this development.  HOOVER back for sale where they started in the independent vacuum stores.  If hefty fines and fees are levied for peoples' disposal of plastic throw away vacuums for recycling, perhaps we'll see a return of the all metals.  Now that would be ironic.  Especially if it happens in my lifetime.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #68   Dec 6, 2008 4:29 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Lest you forget, I'll refresh your memory.  ORECK suffered a direct hit on its New Orleans LA plant in August 2005 by Hurricane Katrina. It didn't miss a beat.  First, ORECK accounted for all its employees:  Paid them their full salaries and benefits during all the ORECK down time; moved its Headquarters operations temporarily to Texas; conducted business operations out of its network of 500 Clean Home Health Centers; and permanently relocated its production facilities to Tennessee.  During the aftermath of the Hurricane, ORECK family members reached out to the medical facilities and shelters to assist the Hurricane victims by contributing their time and money to the recovery efforts.  Sadly, several dyson campers wallowed in ORECK's tragic events and circumstances.  Boldly declaring ORECK dead, and ready to dance on its grave.   You forget! 

Your foam filter analysis is foolhardy.  The HOOVER TTI "cordless" Linx stick vacuum is for quick pick ups and sells for $179.   Your fave "corded" full sized vacuum sells for $400 plus.  And dyson's false/exaggerated claims that it never clogged with nearly maintenance free lifetime filters and zero costs.  Dyson traditionally likes to match itself up against lesser expensive brands and models.  Rather than equally expensive and, heaven forbid, more expensive brands.   Self-serving comparisons.  Admissions of overpricing.   Lest you forget too, I'll remind you, that the 2 dyson models you cite which require monthly filter maintenance are it's latest and greatest for $400/$500 plus.  Better than reading the funnies.

Carmine D.

Hey Carmine,

Good luck getting traction on your Oreck is selling their 30 year old designed $400, $500, $700 vacuums at discounts/deep discounts because of the 2005 Katrina tragedy, all the while most of the world is discounting during this economic slide.

Hypocritical of you to state it is “sad[ly]” that some used the Katrina tragedy as a opportunity to predict Oreck’s demise all the while you state celebrated predictions of a Dyson downturn during these [tragic] economic times.

I’ll tell you what, Oreck better start inventing cutting edge product and not just advertise it as so. - Sustaining American manufacturing jobs may be dependent on it.

DIB
This message was modified Dec 7, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #69   Dec 6, 2008 4:42 pm
Hello DIB:

Still upset I see about your 2008 dyson bonus?

Lest you forget, I'll remind you.  For over 45 years ORECK has been made in the USA.  Buy American and keep jobs and money here in the USA.  Lest you forget too, HOOVER produces/sells vacuums in the big box retail stores with prices of $70-$200.  Performance wise, these are better than the more expensive brands and models like yours.  At least American consumers are getting their money's worth from the cheap foreign labor. 

It's pathetic for upstart companies to manufacture products in countries with slave labor wages [w/o guilt].  Then, turn around to sell them at luxury prices.  It's sticking it to consumers.  How?  With spiffy designs, colors, and false/exaggerated claims.  Based on the falling market share for your fave brand in the UK, the Brits agree.  Won't be long and the Americans too!  How much will dyson bonuses be then?  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 6, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #70   Dec 7, 2008 6:55 am
Lucky1 wrote:
I believe you are approaching my post from a technological stand point, yet I am discussing a marketing strategy. Go back and read my post and tell me where Dyson differs.

Lucky,

I was not commenting or stepping on your entire post, I was not clear. - I was commenting on your first 1 sentence only (below).  And since I was sitting on some “behind the scenes” information that most are unaware of...  that is Hoover/Maytag sued Dyson for $125m for false advertising, which according to the Dyson attorneys was the largest [false advertising] demand in U.S. history. 

[Dyson] innovations hurt Hoover/Matag or at least this is how I read the Maytag lawsuit.  I have no comment on Hoovers business model/practices beyond that.

Lucky said:
"I'm always trying to discern the dynamic of things both visible and behind the scenes."

Anyone...
Here is an old Maytag press release - Maytag credits innovation for Hoovers success.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cnoc/MYGbisiness.html

DIB
This message was modified Dec 7, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #71   Dec 7, 2008 7:36 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Anyone...
Here is an old Maytag press release - Maytag credits innovation for Hoovers success.

DIB

Hello DIB:

Thanks for posting the article/press release from 1998.  Very interesting, especially when put in perspective.  

Banner sales/profit years, tho rarely mentioned by companies, are tied to the economy.  From 1998 and up thru 2000, the US economy was fueled by the hi-tech industry.  [As the article notes, HOOVER launched its internet site in 1998].  The hi-techs were fueling a rapid, some might say rabid unsustainable, economic growth in the USA.  Creating wealth.  Until the bubble burst in 2000.  How?  By greed and excess.  Paying exorbitant bonuses and salaries to the tech employees.   

Since the tech bubble burst, enormous growth in the US housing market fueled banner profit years for companies.  Until it tanked in 2007/2008.  Companies rarely credit their success to the economy.  But are quick to blame bad times for dismal years.  Why? It diminishes their business acumen.  Much sexier to say innovations/advances produce success.  True in good times, but not so in bad. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 7, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #72   Dec 7, 2008 3:45 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Anyone...

http://www.prnewswire.com/cnoc/MYGbisiness.html

DIB

CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

Thanks for posting the article/press release from 1998.  Very interesting, especially when put in perspective.  

Banner sales/profit years, tho rarely mentioned by companies, are tied to the economy.  From 1998 and up thru 2000, the US economy was fueled by the hi-tech industry.  [As the article notes, HOOVER launched its internet site in 1998].  The hi-techs were fueling a rapid, some might say rabid unsustainable, economic growth in the USA.  Creating wealth.  Until the bubble burst in 2000.  How?  By greed and excess.  Paying exorbitant bonuses and salaries to the tech employees.   

Since the tech bubble burst, enormous growth in the US housing market fueled banner profit years for companies.  Until it tanked in 2007/2008.  Companies rarely credit their success to the economy.  But are quick to blame bad times for dismal years.  Why? It diminishes their business acumen.  Much sexier to say innovations/advances produce success.  True in good times, but not so in bad. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I think the inventor/s (in concept) did a hell of a job with the Windtunnel, although I have no idea if it works or by how much.  It is gratuitous to take credit away from the inventors and the suits who championed it when you imply their profitable year as luck or good fortune.  Undoubtedly Hoover has made much money off this patented system,  I’d guess $100m minimum. - Now that’s sexy!

DIB

P.S.  But!  If science proves the Windtunnel claimed benefits as false (hype) then I do not support it, nor the profits made.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #73   Dec 8, 2008 4:28 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi DIB,

Don't play 'em cheap.  First of all my Kenmore Iridium canister has a foam filter.  The filterless dust collection bin does a very good job of cyclonically containing both the heavy and fine stuff it captures.  It has a foam filter, not at all large in size, that looks in need of cleaning about every few weeks if you empty the bin frequently.  It's all a matter of good design.

In this case we're talking about a lightweight vacuum that has only a 16-minute run time and is really not intended for heavy duty work despite its high price.  It's doubtful that a vacuum intended for light duty will be put to the kind of use to either cause it to or have opportunity to clog up all that much.  If this lightweight had a more impressive runtime, 30 or 40 minutes, I definitely see more of a problem because users might well think it had the same abilities as a full-size corded vac.  Of course we must make exception for users who may believe that "love never means you have to say your sorry," may also believe that  "bagless" means you never have to empty your vacuum.

Venson

Hello,

You may of noticed I go after TTI and some others with fervency. :)  I'll back off on the battery shutting down (early), there seems to be plenty of [advertised] runtime.

As far as filtration goes...  it looks like there's plenty of room for high efficiency cyclone/s, which would of removed MUCH of the fine dust.  I just wonder about TTI and their motives.  They deceptivly put (it looks from the photo I posted earlier) Windtunnel on this stick when it ain't so.        DIB

CarmineD

Reply #74   Dec 8, 2008 5:09 pm
Hello DIB:

I believe that TTI/HOOVER would not say/claim WT technology on this Linx Stick Vacuum, let alone inscribe on the vacuum, if it weren't so.   Plus, I believe the explanation provided by a TTI/HOOVER expert here [TTIpowerT] on two separate occasions and two different posts, who used this product and broke it down for inspection.  He says it is clearly WT technology. 

TTIpowerT wrote:

Carmine,

Lest you disbelieve him too without cause/reason, I would ask what part[s] of his post did you miss/not understand? 

Saying "it ain't so," especially on the WT feature, and accusing the maker of willful deception is risky on your part, lest you have evidence to back up your statements.  Do you? 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 8, 2008 by CarmineD
hoovergroover

Reply #75   Dec 11, 2008 3:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

I believe that TTI/HOOVER would not say/claim WT technology on this Linx Stick Vacuum, let alone inscribe on the vacuum, if it weren't so.   Plus, I believe the explanation provided by a TTI/HOOVER expert here [TTIpowerT] on two separate occasions and two different posts, who used this product and broke it down for inspection.  He says it is clearly WT technology. 

Lest you disbelieve him too without cause/reason, I would ask what part[s] of his post did you miss/not understand? 

Saying "it ain't so," especially on the WT feature, and accusing the maker of willful deception is risky on your part, lest you have evidence to back up your statements.  Do you? 

Carmine D.

Hey Carmine,

I am glad you love the WT. It too love the WT. Could Windtunnel just be a name like "SteamVac"? Does it make steam? Does the Windtunnel NOW/TODAY really make a "windtunnel? Does windtunnel refer to a design specification? I already answered verbatim what windtunnel means according to Hoovers own internal description. The friggin stick vac works great is it a WT, well give me about 49 days and perhaps I'll say more. Is it scaled, that means it'd look the same as the fullsized WT Upright "right?"

HooverGroover

This message was modified Dec 11, 2008 by hoovergroover
CarmineD

Reply #76   Dec 11, 2008 5:07 pm
Hello HooverGroover:

Good thinking on the WT model name.  I went to the HOOVER Web Site just in the event that was the case to read the Linx stick vacuum specs.  Lo and behold here's the official words from the HOOVER Web Site:

• Fade Free Power: Interchangeable 18 Volt Lithium Ion battery ensures the battery sustains power until it is completely drained
  • Cordless Convenience with powerful upright performance
  • First cordless stick vacuum with Hoover's patented WindTunnel technology, which utilizes three suction tunnels to lift and remove even the hidden dirt
  • One-touch Brushroll activation makes easy transition from hard floors to carpets
  • Edge Cleaning Bristles allow for closer access to walls and corners 6. Low Profile Base and Extreme Recline Handle allow for easy access under furniture
  • Unique Wide Mouth Opening makes quick work of vacuuming cereal, pet food, etc.
  • Battery Fuel Gauge: Battery Level Indicator instantly registers remaining battery life
  • Best-In-Class Six-Year Warranty
  • Energy Star Rated Environmentally Friendly Appliance

I am a WT tried and true believer.  The difference in carpet cleaning and grooming with the HOOVER WT is self-evident.  My dear Wife always knows when I use the WT vice any other upright vacuum.  It beats all other uprights on rugs and carpets for all time. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 12, 2008 by CarmineD
hoovergroover

Reply #77   Dec 12, 2008 12:40 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HooverGroover:

Good thinking on the WT model name.  I went to the HOOVER Web Site just in the event that was the case to read the Linx stick vacuum specs.  Lo and behold here's the official words from the HOOVER Web Site:

• Fade Free Power: Interchangeable 18 Volt Lithium Ion battery ensures the battery sustains power until it is completely drained
  • Cordless Convenience with powerful upright performance
  • First cordless stick vacuum with Hoover's patented WindTunnel technology, which utilizes three suction tunnels to lift and remove even the hidden dirt
  • One-touch Brushroll activation makes easy transition from hard floors to carpets
  • Edge Cleaning Bristles allow for closer access to walls and corners 6. Low Profile Base and Extreme Recline Handle allow for easy access under furniture
  • Unique Wide Mouth Opening makes quick work of vacuuming cereal, pet food, etc.
  • Battery Fuel Gauge: Battery Level Indicator instantly registers remaining battery life
  • Best-In-Class Six-Year Warranty
  • Energy Star Rated Environmentally Friendly Appliance

I am a WT tried and true believer.  The difference in carpet cleaning and grooming with the HOOVER WT is self-evident.  My dear Wife always knows when I use the WT vice any other upright vacuum.  It beats all other uprights on rugs and carpets for all time. 

Carmine D.

Hey Carmine,

I guess I may be splitting hairs.. But in this description:  Unique Wide Mouth Opening makes quick work of vacuuming cereal, pet food, etc.  Does this not modify the WT design? Should it still be called WT? Also where is the WT Duct cover which funnels debris from the front channel (tunnel) to the suction port? Where is the front channel (tunnel)? Where is the back channel (tunnel)? The only similarity I see and I'm looking at one now is the Helix brush design. This one feature alone to Hoovers own description of what windtunnel is does not cut the mustard. Although this cleaner works great and whatever, they can call it windtunnel like the monkier steamvac, The only similarity I see is the helix brush. we obviously have a case of  one foot on land and one toe in the water. Wt is brand awareness, great job on this WT Variant/Hybrid  though I love it.

Hoovergroover

hoovergroover

Reply #78   Dec 12, 2008 12:59 pm
Ok I couldn't figure out how to embedd a pic. here is a link which shows graphically what Windtunnel is. It is somewhat difficult to see the channels in the plastics and the presence of the dirt duct, but you can see the airflow at least.

http://www.omahadoor.com/images/central_vacuum/Windtunnel.jpg

This message was modified Dec 12, 2008 by hoovergroover
CarmineD

Reply #79   Dec 12, 2008 1:46 pm
Hello HooverGroover:

The cut away of the WT power nozzle is excellent.  However, keep in mind that to allow viewers to see the 3 way air flow anfd brush roll, the tunnel at the front of the nozzle which concentrates suction across the entire front nozzle thru to the rear opening is omitted.  If it were pictured, the brush roll would not be visible in the view.  The WT PN replicates the WT Linx cordless head design and function which as I mentioned takes a page from the Floormate design.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #80   Dec 12, 2008 3:12 pm
Come on Carmine, this hole in the Linx is a Cherrio Hole and air-leak and nothing else.  It defeats/weakens the Windtunnel "patented" concept.  Hoover spends millions conditioning the public to believe their "patented" Windtunnel is science (why it obtained a patent) and credible, and is the core reason Hoover ranks high in Consumer Reports and why one should purchase.  Cutting a *Cherrio Hole in the WT (WT/Cherrio Hole combo) or not having a WT altogether is a con.

DIB

An example:  In this HSN presentation, the Hoover rep pronounces WT as the reason for high CR rankings (in the 1st minute of video)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNC6K9qWVw

*Cat sand, rice and alike too.

This message was modified Dec 12, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #81   Dec 12, 2008 5:57 pm
Did you mean to say "cherry" hole and/or cheery ho?  

The reviews on the WT Linx cordless STICK VACUUM to date are very good.  No doubt the WT technology, as previously described and explained, is the key element in the performance.   Excellent move on TTI/HOOVER's part to design a cordless stick vacuum with WT technology.   It will reap in the profits with sales at the $179 price.  No competition for it on the market today.  Innovative and inexpensive.  A winning product combination, especially in the big box stores' venue, among consumers.  Especially in hard economic times with consumers holding back. 

The Linx cordless stick vacuum should be making its way into the big box stores early next year.  Nice way to start off the beginning of the year.  With a brand new innovative vacuum product: CORDLESS STICK VACUUM.  Right in time for the after holidays' clean up.  Dyson fans: Eat your hearts out.  That is, if the HOOVER WT Linx cordless STICK VACUUM doesn't first.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 13, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #82   Dec 18, 2008 7:21 am
WRT Steve Jobs/Apple analogy to James/dyson, seems the latest sales/profit results at Apple have put Mr. Jobs' employment at risk and him back in the hot seat.  Apple sales way down, the Board is considering removing him, and the company announced that Mr. Jobs will not be the guest speaker at the iMac World Conference in January, as has been his custom for years primarily to annnounce new Apple products.  Some are saying that there are no new products.  All innovated out!  Also at risk, the premium pricing strategy that Jobs instituted with all Apple products by frowning on discounts/sales.  Apparently, the strategy is believed to be the cause of the huge fall off in Apple sales.  And Apple products may even find their way into Wal*Mart stores to shore up lagging sales/profits.  Something Jobs strongly resisted in the past.

BEST BUY announced a fall of current year sales of almost 80 percent offering severance pay/package to all its 4,000 headquarters employees.  Might explain the recent observations by posters here, including myself, that the vacuum pickins at BB stores are slim to nil.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 18, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #83   Dec 18, 2008 10:22 am
Hi Carmine,my reasoning is as follows,the on line stores and ebay in particular have ruined the brick and motar stores. The overhead is killing them,there is just no room for a decent profit anymore for the B@M stores.When you take out the money incentive to the in store sales reps,they just dont do anything,and why should they?

Its all on line now,they created this monster,NOW they have to deal with it.

B.T.W we are super busy, we know our job .Do they????????????

sincerly

MOLE

Venson

Reply #84   Dec 18, 2008 12:13 pm
CarmineD wrote:

BEST BUY announced a fall of current year sales of almost 80 percent offering severance pay/package to all its 4,000 headquarters employees.  Might explain the recent observations by posters here, including myself, that the vacuum pickins at BB stores are slim to nil.

Carmine D.

Hi,

I was just in Best Buy last week and the only surprise was that I got the newly released  "Dark Knight" on DVD for just 20 bucks.  Considering past browsing for the same kind of of thing -- a popular movie's first release on DVD -- I was sure it would be selling for five to ten dollars more.

The vacuum aisle remains the same.  A few Dirt Devils and Hoover cheapies and a couple of high-priced Dysons.  My community is composed of a mixture of low to middle income level inhabitants, many among either income level might like the idea of quality but are prepared to excuse the lack in favor of more money immediately present in the wallet.  I also noted a lot of apparently confused shoppers in the microwave oven aisle.  All that is being offered is a lot of stuff that all looks the same except for color and the number of knobs and buttons without any standing out by way of particular advantantage.

MOLE, believe me I suffer with you.  Nonetheless, when you work hard for your money -- as I'm sure you and the rest of us do -- if your wage is not out of the ordinary there's a need to  hold onto as much of it as you can. Free spender that I am, I want a real wallop for my buck.  Most of hte shopping public is looking for the exact same thing.

By the way, I am leaving a post I filled for more than eight years not because I wished to but because the face of the economy has changed.  Scary but there'll be no time to think on it much.  I am expected to "adapt" and move ahead.  

For good or ill, the computer age has changed all our lives although it is often a thoroughly impersonal realm in which it's all about dollars and cents.  Not to diminish the brick and mortar world, online offerings have allowed people who otherwise might not  have enough capital to get in the game and at least have a chance to  try to make something that's their own.  The essential is, whether business is done on a computer or in building, you've got to have skills and you've got to have talent.  You have both plus vast experience.  I'd strongly advise investigating how you may make use of both the internet and brick and mortar to expand and enhance your possibilities.

You are in a far better position than many of us because you already have a business in place.  It might be foolish thinking on my part but if what I have to work with is mine -- the sky's the limit.  Anything is possible.

Venson
This message was modified Dec 18, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #85   Dec 18, 2008 12:36 pm
In comparisons of BEST BUY and Wal*Mart stores and who's got the biggest sales of them all for CD's, I'm told that Wal*Mart's AC/DC "Black Ice" exclusive has US sales of 1,055,000 in its first two weeks in stores vice BEST BUY's Guns N' Roses exclusive album "Chinese Democracy" with 318,000.  Bad news for the nation's biggest electronics chain by sales [BEST BUY] which paid MILLIONS of dollars up front for 1.3 million copies of the GNR's album.  When it rains, it pours!

Perhaps this is the reason in part that rumor has it that Apple's iPhone is expected to be sold at Wal*Mart stores, possibly even at a discount!  Much to the chagrin of Mr. Jobs, the current CEO, who eschews discounts and Wal*Mart!  But then until last month, Apple's premium pricing seem to be paying off.  In September Apple was boasting a stock price of $150.  Today its down to $95.  Due in part to Job's announcement in October that the company was not cutting prices on Macs [46 % of yearly revenue].   Quoting Jobs: "We're not tremendously worried that the downturn will drive customers to cheaper PC's."  And also attributed to Jobs:  "We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not junk."  Wonder if he's had a change of mind/heart? 

Like I say, company inventors/founders are not their own best CEO, especially in bad economic times.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Dec 18, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #86   Dec 19, 2008 7:03 am
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine,my reasoning is as follows,the on line stores and ebay in particular have ruined the brick and mortar stores. The overhead is killing them,there is just no room for a decent profit anymore for the B@M stores.When you take out the money incentive to the in store sales reps,they just dont do anything,and why should they?

Its all on line now,they created this monster,NOW they have to deal with it.

B.T.W we are super busy, we know our job .Do they????????????

sincerly

MOLE

Hello MOLE:

In bad times like these, you have the business advantage over the big box retailers and new vacuum dealers.  Not so in good times when they can undercut your prices and push products at much lower prices than you can buy/sell.  Anyone can run a company in good times, it takes a smart business man to run a business in bad times, like these.  The reason I like the small vacuum cleaner store owners and operators much better than the big box stores for quality brand vacuum sales.  It's not about a one time purchase, it's about a business relationship.  You provide that to customers.  Not the big box stores. 

You don't specialize in one vacuum brand.  You sell and repair all brands including rebuilts.  Plus, you are a full service central vacuum store.  In bad times when people keep their vacuums longer, you survive on parts and service.  And even with sales of rebuilts for folks who don't want to buy new [can't afford] but want a quality vacuum for their money.   

Glad to hear and know that business is good.  Keep on keeping on.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #87   Dec 19, 2008 7:06 am
Hello Venson:

Sorry to hear about your employment situation.  Hope and pray for the best for you.

Venson wrote:

Hi,

My community is composed of a mixture of low to middle income level inhabitants, many among either income level might like the idea of quality but are prepared to excuse the lack in favor of more money immediately present in the wallet.  I also noted a lot of apparently confused shoppers in the microwave oven aisle.  All that is being offered is a lot of stuff that all looks the same except for color and the number of knobs and buttons without any standing out by way of particular advantantage.

Venson

WRT above Venson, vacuums have followed the same path as the rest of the household appliances.  From going disposable and non-repairable to all looking alike w/o any brand name differences.  Alot of the attraction for rebuilts is to hold onto the quality of yester year and customers' past preferences of name brands and makes.  Like the 'real' Electrolux.  Call it nostalgia, old fashioned etc.  It provides a viable business option to MOLE and others like him.  While also giving an alternative to big box store vacuum buyers who don't want to toss $200 plus on a piece of plastic that will get thrown in a dump in a few years.  What's old is cool again!  Like Drew who posted here with the new GE cann from Wal*Mart and TriStar Mg2 from the local vacuum store.  If Drew bought the TS Mg2 for $350, he got one heck of a good buy!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 19, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #88   Dec 19, 2008 11:11 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

Sorry to hear about your employment situation.  Hope and pray for the best for you.

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine,

Things will probably work out.  Of course, if you see me on the strip in Vegas with a tin cup in my hand -- forget I said that.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #89   Dec 20, 2008 1:03 pm
Hi Venson:

Good attitude!  Adapt, improvise, overcome!

Now's a good time to visit Vegas.  Flights are inexpensive.  Gas prices came back down to earth from their lofty levels.  There's lots of deals and good stuff going on here for the Christmas and New Year's Holidays.  

Pax tecum

Carmine

Replies: 1 - 89 of 89View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42