Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Mister_Bojack

Miele S5 bags
Original Message   Aug 8, 2008 10:19 pm
Did I remember an issue with the bags for the S5 in which they would burst, or had a weak spot because of the suction? I thought I had read this before in the old forum. I'm asking because I just bought a used machine and under the HEPA filter it's filthy. I'm wondering if the bag broke previously, or if things normally accumulate under the filter?
This message was modified Aug 8, 2008 by Mister_Bojack
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Miele S5 bags
Reply #1   Aug 9, 2008 6:55 am
Not aware of a particular problem with MIELE bags.  Did know about the inferior/old glue on some bags causing the bags to burst.  Most bag makers reinforce the glue with stitching and/or staples to prevent bursting.  If I have some old bags with glue only, I'll reinforce with staples before installing.  Just in case.  Here in the desert, it doesn't take long for glue to dry out in a hot garage [temps exceeding 120 F].

Generically speaking, a paper bag in a canister if overfilled [especially with heavy debris like sand/plaster] will rest on the underside of the vacuum.  Over time and use, the friction created by the bag's weight and the contact with the vacuum during movement will wear the paper thin.  This condition causes a weak spot which results in leakage, even a hole in the bag, if the user doesn't replace it.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 9, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #2   Aug 9, 2008 12:14 pm
Hi Mr. Bojack,

I think this may be more an issue of abuse by your cleaner's previous owner.  Personally, I have not been much interested in trying out Miele's paper disposable bags.  Since the whole sales spin for these machines is high-filtration, going all the way by using high-filtration bags seemed the best course and I have not been disappointed.  The bags so far have proved super sturdy and efficient.

If you can't do it yourself, I'd strongly suggest taking your Miele to your local vac shop and having it thoroughly cleaned out and also checked for damage.  If in result, all that required is a good clean up and a filter change you may well have a good bargain.  Did you purchase this from a seller familiar to you or online?

Over the years the only bag break problems I ever experience were with Lewyt's Speed Sacs.  Especially the ones with the cellophane windows  intended to allow users to easily judge how full the bag was.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #3   Aug 9, 2008 2:22 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Mr. Bojack,

Over the years the only bag break problems I ever experience were with Lewyt's Speed Sacs.  Especially the ones with the cellophane windows  intended to allow users to easily judge how full the bag was.

Venson

Hi Venson:

FWIW, I sold many of these Lewyt speed saks.  Only the genuine, never the replacements.  Never ever had that problem. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #4   Aug 10, 2008 2:35 pm
Hi BOJACKER.

Nevar heard of this problem with the genuine miele fleeced bags or filtrete, maybe he purchased the fjm bags instead of the GN bags, the oem bags have a plastic coupling and are very hard to install the wrong way.Was the bag in the machine paper or cloth like when you got it?

MOLE

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #5   Aug 14, 2008 5:42 am
Mister_Bojack wrote:
Did I remember an issue with the bags for the S5 in which they would burst, or had a weak spot because of the suction? I thought I had read this before in the old forum. I'm asking because I just bought a used machine and under the HEPA filter it's filthy. I'm wondering if the bag broke previously, or if things normally accumulate under the filter?

I do not recall any issues w/ Miele bags, except there was one person who used the IntensiveClean bags at its introduction.  The issue was that hair was sticking through the material of the "clothlike" bags and not staying inside the bag.
hbw248

Reply #6   Sep 1, 2008 9:13 pm
Hi Mike,

I believe it may have been me that mentioned some time ago that hair was protruding through the first generation IntensiveClean bags. Since the newest IntensiveClean Plus bags came out, the problem has been eliminated. They now have reinforcement material right below the intake of the bag (the area most prone to damage from incoming debris).

The IntensiveClean Plus bags are the best I've seen in any vacuum on the market at retaining fine dust with almost no air flow restriction... even when nearly 100% full. It amazes me how clean the bag compartment stays, bag after bag.

Bruce

CarmineD

Reply #7   Sep 2, 2008 8:54 am
Hello Bruce:

Thank you for the update on the Miele bags.  Assuring to read your comments about the Miele IntensiveClean Plus [patented] filter bags.   Miele writes the same as you've concluded about its IntensiveClean Plus bags.  When we read the manufacturer's claims, even Miele's, we tend, based on the nature of the vacuum industry, to be a tad bit suspicious.  It's always more assuring when we read the conclusions of users which verify the vaildity of the maker's claims.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42