Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Arm & Hammer "Fresh Ins" . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Arm & Hammer "Fresh Ins" . . .
Original Message   Aug 7, 2008 10:57 am
Good morning all,

I just came across what appears to be a press release regarding, Fresh Ins packets that contain scented baking soda crystals.  Arm & Hammer already produces a bunch of deodorizing disposable bags plus filters for many brands of vacs.  The claim in regard to Fresh Ins is that the product can be dumped into any vacuum, bagged or bagless, to neutralize pet odor and has twice the dedorizing power of Arm & Hammer's bags.  Per the article, the packets sell for about $2.50 for nine packets. Link is here -- http://www.courant.com/features/home/hc-faqpetfresh.artaug06,0,7643952.story?track=rss

Nice idea but I also liked the company provision for info through its "Jill's Secret Solutions" page -- http://armandhammer.com/default.aspx?ITEMID=4  There are all sorts of tips on how to use just plain old cheap baking soda around the house.

One of Jill's ideas is to go directly to the source and give dogs a deodorizing dry bath, sprinkle it on-brush it out, with baking soda.  I also suggest IF you have a quiet vacuum with hose, try vacuuming Rover.  DO NOT use tools with moving parts like air-powered turbo tools, etc.  DO USE a straight suction upholstery tool or dusting brush with the suction relief open or motor speed reduced and stay away from your animals ears and head. 

Your cat or dog of course has to go for the idea and it should not be forced on them.  However, if you've got an animal that likes a thrill, the feel of cool air pulling through its fur as you give it a going over is quite enjoyable.  I remember that my dog began to fall out on the floor waiting to be done with the bare floor tool just about every time I turned the cleaner on.  This is also helpful in that the fur and dandruff you dislodge goes straight into the vacuum. Regular grooming of any kind may help reduce reduce the amount of shed hair and dander you have to tackle come cleaning day.

Best,

Venson

Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Arm & Hammer "Fresh Ins" . . .
Reply #13   Aug 8, 2008 7:06 am
Hello HS:

Sounds like you got a great deal: A pound of baking soda for $.50.  Sounds like its cheaper by the pounds than it use to be in days past when it came in small little ounce boxes.  I always liked the graphics on the box.  Arm with a hammer.  Great logo. 

If the household baking soda were not so light and powdery, it would make a better vacuum test substance, IMHO.  The powder tends to seep out of the vacuum and evaporate [verified by A&H in the article Venson posted].  As such, it's not the ideal test substance for measuring before and after by the tester/user to determine a vacuum's performance.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 8, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #14   Aug 8, 2008 7:19 am
HARDSELL wrote:

Another unique characteristic of coff is that it is oily whether moist or dry. 

HS:

I can tell from the above response you were never a hobby train enthusiast.  Used sun dried coffee grinds are a staple among train hobbyists for landscaping train layouts.  Why? Its dry, odorless, stainless and looks like real dirt.  And most importantly it has a crystal/particle composition.  Making it an excellent vacuum test substance for all the same reasons.

LIke baking soda, one can buy the imitation dirt from all the hobby stores very cheap.  Why buy when you can make all you want of it free?  Now, if you want different shades [light to dark] of dirt, and know how to achieve them from used coffee grind brands, you're really a hobby train aficionado. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #15   Aug 8, 2008 6:06 pm
Hello Venson:

Ironically, the side banner on this Web Site listed a source for genuine ORECK bags Type CC for $13 for a pack of 8.  Less than the $2 per bag I paid.

http://www.vacuums24x7.com/oreckbags.html

The odor proof bags are almost $4 per.  I don't think they are worth the price.  I've found the Type CC an excellent buy and performer.  The inside of the outer bag is dust/pet hair free after 15 months of daily use.  Can't get any better than that for a paper bag performance. 

Huge bag with a fool proof fit.  ORECK's least expensive of all paper bags.  With a rubber seal for the bag opening, and a locking dock for the bag.  The combination of the two [seal and locking dock] make the bags leak proof, deform proof, and impossible to put on incorrectly.  And a cinch to install. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #16   Aug 8, 2008 9:24 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

I can tell from the above response you were never a hobby train enthusiast.  Used sun dried coffee grinds are a staple among train hobbyists for landscaping train layouts.  Why? Its dry, odorless, stainless and looks like real dirt.  And most importantly it has a crystal/particle composition.  Making it an excellent vacuum test substance for all the same reasons.

LIke baking soda, one can buy the imitation dirt from all the hobby stores very cheap.  Why buy when you can make all you want of it free?  Now, if you want different shades [light to dark] of dirt, and know how to achieve them from used coffee grind brands, you're really a hobby train aficionado. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Sorry not to respond sooner.  Had a golf game.  I do like to look at model train layouts.  I just never had enough interest to make them a hobby.  There is a fantastic on in Chattanooga, TN.  I grew up around cars and trucks ( 18 wheelers ).  I have liked them since I could talk.  I built model cars rather than trucks.  Great idea about the coffee grounds,  I could build a full scale RR in a couple of months,

CarmineD

Reply #17   Aug 9, 2008 8:11 am
Hello Venson:

It appears that you have to contact an A&H person to get a price quote on a particular brand, unless of course you find them in the retailers.  From reading the claims by A&H, the bags/filters are outstanding.   A&H is making the vacuum bags and filters a mainstay venue for its operations.  I'm curious to hear the opinions from the indies about the quality and performace of the A&H bags/filters if they have experience using and selling.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Aug 9, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #18   Aug 9, 2008 12:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

. . .  A&H is making the vacuum bags and filters a mainstay venue for its operations.  I'm curious to hear the opinions from the indies about the quality and performace of the A&H bags/filters if they have experience using and selling.

Carmine D. 

Hi Carmine,

I'd like to learn the same.  I think making parts and accessories for other brands is a lot to take on.  What you provide would have to better or at least as good. 

I make exception as Walmart, where shoppers are looking to save, has a large offering of A&H bags for many common, low to moderate price brands like Eureka and Hoover.

Do you have any knowlegde of how well single-ply knock-offs made to fit Electrolux did back in the day as opposed to the genuine article?

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #19   Aug 9, 2008 2:19 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Do you have any knowlegde of how well single-ply knock-offs made to fit Electrolux did back in the day as opposed to the genuine article?

Venson

Hi Venson:

The lux replacements were terrible.  I wouldn't use them and/or sell them in my store.  Strictly genuines for the Luxes back in my day.  Even if customers asked for a cheaper bag brand, I wouldn't sell.  I always sold them by the pack, not individually. 

They may have gotten now. 

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #20   Aug 14, 2008 5:14 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

It appears that you have to contact an A&H person to get a price quote on a particular brand, unless of course you find them in the retailers.  From reading the claims by A&H, the bags/filters are outstanding.   A&H is making the vacuum bags and filters a mainstay venue for its operations.  I'm curious to hear the opinions from the indies about the quality and performace of the A&H bags/filters if they have experience using and selling.

Carmine D. 

Walmart sells A&H vacuum cleaner bags and filters for many different brands.  HOOVER, Eueka, and DD taking most of the space.  At one time, I did recall seeing ORECK bags.  These were for the older uprights that did not have the docking port.  They were priced slightly higher than other bags like HOOVER Windtunnel.  They were about the same as the Pet Fresh bags.  I want to say they were about $6.99approx. for a 3pk., but I could be wrong.

Electrolux Homecare is the maker of these bags and filters.  They are using the A&H name.  The same w/ Homecare using the Honeywell name.  These bags are high quality.  I believe they are using a new technology.  What I do not like about their filters is that they are not washable.  Washing the filter will decrease the effectiveness of the baking soda.  The name brand filters of many vacuum cleaners use washable filters that will last a couple of years.  I believe the A&H brand says to replace between 6-12 mos.

Another thing I do not like about these brands is now they can charge a higher price for the bags/filters compared to the previous generic.  So, you could have purchased Homecare microlined bags for $3.50+.  Now, under the Honeywell name, the bags will cost you $5.99.
This message was modified Aug 14, 2008 by Mike_W
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #21   Aug 14, 2008 5:36 am
Venson wrote:

Generic vacuum cleaner bags, from the past, were very bad.  They were thin, filtered worse than name brand and sometimes were not made-to-fit properly.  In the 70's I had a Electrolux 1205.  I used generic multiply bags that performed very well.  I set the automatic control so that it would shut off at 3/4 full.  I found some generic, cheap bags.  They were horrible.  They were thin and single-ply.  There was no membrane dirt seal at the bag opening.  When the controls were set at the same as w/the multiply bags, the vacuum would shut off at 1/4 full.  Those bags were never used again.

Generic bags have changed, for the better, compared to years ago.  If the microlined bags, or better, are used,  filtration is pretty good.  Envirocare bags are another brand of generics that perform very well. 

Some brands of vacuum cleaners just perform better if genuine is used.  FQ is one that performed better w/ genuine cones.  They fit perfectly and filter much better.
mole

Reply #22   Aug 14, 2008 5:50 am
There are some very good replacement filter bags on the market today, It seems envirocare is leading the field for now, they are a excellent replacement bag for the big name machines,

The best replacement lux bags were the V.C.B brand,triple filtered,glued at the bottom [never broke open], coupling and seal was as good as the oem bag and sometimes even fit better,

The perfect lux cloth type filtrete bags have proven to even outflow the oem aerus/lux bags. There are many on this forum that can attest to what i;ve said.I use these in my silverardo and the machine really picked up more airflow and runs cooler.

MOLE
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42