Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Considering the Simplicity Synergy...

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
techphet

Considering the Simplicity Synergy...
Original Message   Jul 24, 2008 7:12 pm
I started the thread about lead cleanup and the Eureka sealed-HEPA system...

I'm now looking at spending the extra dollars to purchase the Simplicity Synergy.  The price tag alone makes me worry that the Eureka sealed HEPA isn't as impressive as the marketing makes it sound.

Again, I know a vacuum cleaner alone isn't a solution to a lead-paint chipping problem but I am venturing to guess that the right vacuum cleaner (with a sealed HEPA system) will improve the situation while the wrong vacuum cleaner (an inexpensive Bissell or Eureka) may actually make the situation worse. 

I cringe to think that every time I'm vacuuming I'm just blowing more lead dust up into the air and making the environment more hazardous than it was to begin with.

The Simplicity salesman I spoke with told me that the Synergy air filtration was "hospital grade."  I also remember reading on here that "hospital grade" is not necessarily a good thing.  Can anyone elaborate on this?

Is $700 a reasonable price for a Synergy (this is marked down $200 with a trade-in). 

I've seen the Minuteman Lead HEPA for $625 here.  Any opinions on if the filtration of the Synergy would be equal to or better than this Minuteman Lead HEPA?

I also forgot to ask the Simplicity salesman about canister vacuums- would these be less expensive?

He did confirm that a bagless vacuum is not the way to go- I will not be purchasing one of these.

Thanks again,

Tech
Replies: 52 - 61 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Re: Considering the Simplicity Synergy...
Reply #52   Aug 4, 2008 1:11 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Tech,

Had you bought a Perfect which is the new name for the Electrolux, you would have gotten a metal-bodied vacuum with HEPA bags.  The bags are sealed, and they cannot come adrift.  There is no way that an Electrolux bag would leak dust under any circumstances unless it gets wet.  This machine uses the HEPA cloth bags which makes the filtration even better.  It's a classic design that will clean any home no matter where you live.  It's durable, powerful, and versatile.  It happens to be, in my opinion, one of the best values in a vacuum cleaner I've ever seen.  It really is perfect.  Not to mention the combination dusting brush/upholstery tool is the best in the world and has been since Electrolux invented it in 1965.  It has never been superseded. 

Would you want the bag to leak dust when you're picking up lead paint chips?  Of course not.  I would return the "Complexity" and ask for a Perfect (Electrolux).

-MH

But wait, I thought you earlier said, "Simplicity is a very well-made brand that will last for many years to come, so plan on keeping the machine at least 15 years (as I've seen).  And with the sealed HEPA system you won't have to worry about picking up lead paint chips, either".

The Simplicity/Riccar canisters have a very good bag system.  The bag collar slides into the holder and is not able to come out easily.  The compartment lid will not close if said bag is not installed properly.  All anyone has to do is read the instruction manual of any vacuum cleaner they purchase.  Then they should have no trouble at all.  These HiFlow HEPA bags are the second generation.  The first used sticky paper to cover the bag opening, to seal be bag, when the bag was removed.  Now, all one has to do is pull the tab on the collar, which closes the bag opening.

As for the Perfect brand.  No, that is not the new name for Electrolux.  ABElectrolux and Aerus have no business w/the company who has the machine made for them, in China.
Motorhead

Reply #53   Aug 4, 2008 5:17 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Motor:

I would agree on the Miele bags.  Excellent craftsmanship.  Well worth the price.  Miele takes great pride in its bags and devotes alot of careful attention to their details.

Would you say that the Electrolux bags, even Genuine, with the cardboard collars and rubber seals become deformed and then adrift and leak dirt/dust?  Or is Lux an exception to your "cardboard collar bags coming adrift?"

Carmine D.

Obviously you have never seen a Perfect bag.  The cardboard collar is as thick as it was on the Model LX "wrapper".  There is no way it could bend in, and there's also no way the dirt could go anywhere except *into* the bag due to the two rubber seals in place.  One on the inside of the bag cover, and one on the bag itself. 

-MH
Motorhead

Reply #54   Aug 4, 2008 5:22 pm
Mike_W wrote:
But wait, I thought you earlier said, "Simplicity is a very well-made brand that will last for many years to come, so plan on keeping the machine at least 15 years (as I've seen).  And with the sealed HEPA system you won't have to worry about picking up lead paint chips, either".

The Simplicity/Riccar canisters have a very good bag system.  The bag collar slides into the holder and is not able to come out easily.  The compartment lid will not close if said bag is not installed properly.  All anyone has to do is read the instruction manual of any vacuum cleaner they purchase.  Then they should have no trouble at all.  These HiFlow HEPA bags are the second generation.  The first used sticky paper to cover the bag opening, to seal be bag, when the bag was removed.  Now, all one has to do is pull the tab on the collar, which closes the bag opening.

As for the Perfect brand.  No, that is not the new name for Electrolux.  ABElectrolux and Aerus have no business w/the company who has the machine made for them, in China.

Like the Tacony uprights, I had assumed that the canisters were made in the US as well but I recently found out they are not, much to my surprise.  When I said the machine would last close to 15 years, it was the upright I was referring to.  Is the Simplicity Verve made by Daewoo in Korea, by LG, or someone else?

-MH
This message was modified Aug 4, 2008 by Motorhead
dusty

Reply #55   Aug 4, 2008 5:52 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Like the Tacony uprights, I had assumed that the canisters were made in the US as well but I recently found out they are not, much to my surprise.  When I said the machine would last close to 15 years, it was the upright I was referring to.  Is the Simplicity Verve made by Daewoo in Korea, by LG, or someone else?

-MH

The Verve is made in China, not that it matters much anymore.  I've always believed it's not where it's made but who is making it that matters more.  Interestingly enough, the Verve motor warranty is now 7 years as opposed to the 5 on the Korean made S20.  This vacuum should still last 15 years with regular maintenance.

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #56   Aug 4, 2008 6:14 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Obviously you have never seen a Perfect bag.  The cardboard collar is as thick as it was on the Model LX "wrapper".  There is no way it could bend in, and there's also no way the dirt could go anywhere except *into* the bag due to the two rubber seals in place.  One on the inside of the bag cover, and one on the bag itself. 

-MH

No MOTOR, I haven't had the opportunity.  But it doesn't matter for the question I asked you.

I've seen many many new/full Electrolux automatic [pop-out] genuine bags.  I was asking you about them.  

Forget the new Perfect's paper bag for now.  I was not asking about these.  Focus only on the Electrolux pop out genuine paper bags.  Then please answer my question:  Do you exempt the cardboard collared genuine Electrolux pop out paper bags from your comment that cardboard collared bags with rubber seals become deformed and get adrift.  A simple yes/no will do. 

BTW, to my knowledge, all the RICCAR/SIMPLICITY canns of recent years have been made in either Korea [initially] and/or now China.  These recent canns have all been sourced vacuums not made by Tacony in the USA.  They have given MIELE a run for its money.  And may have even surpassed MIELE in canister sales in the last few years.  I believe an article in US News and World Report specifically addressed this particular subject. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 5, 2008 by CarmineD
techphet

Reply #57   Aug 4, 2008 6:16 pm
Wow, thread sure took off... I'll have to read through the replies later as I only have a few minutes right now.

An update, however...

My vacuum was exchanged for a brand new one, very few questions asked.  I explained all the signs I saw indicating that the vacuum had been used and repackaged and the manager was happy to exchange it.  He stated that he had picked up the vacuum from a nearby store and that he did not know what they may have done to it.  To my surprise he didn't even open the box to make sure the vacuum was in there; my only thoughts are maybe he was reluctant to because of my mentioning the lead or perhaps he simply didn't want customers in the store to see it.  I did speak favorably about the vacuum to a customer who asked how I liked it since whatever the cause of the problem is, I doubt it is something that happens on a regular basis. 

The salesperson who sold me the vacuum said that she would bring the issue up the next day in a meeting she had with a Simplicity- I'm not sure if Simplicity holds Sunday meetings with its sales people but perhaps she meant Monday, perhaps she lied- either way, I'm satisfied. 

I was reading through the instruction manual and read that when inserting the bag I am supposed to listen for a "click."  I had taken the bag out of the previous vacuum when inspecting it to determine if it was used or not and when I put it back in I heard no "click," (didn't know I was supposed to).  I'm not sure if this could be the cause of the problem or not?  I am hesitant to open the bag compartment to look inside my new vacuum- should there be any issue with doing this?

I did read far enough into this thread to see that Mole thinks I am lying.  Although I no longer have the old vacuum I do plan on calling the store to let them know about the click.  I would hate to see test engineers in a lab trying to determine the root cause of the problem which is ultimately the result of a store not demoing bag installation or including an instruction manual in a repackaged box.  Mole, I invite you to listen in on the phone call.  If you would like to make the call yourself to the store in order to ensure that I am not calling a friend, that's fine with me too.  You could call me and then call the store using 3-way calling.  I only ask that you not name the store here on these forums because I do not want anyone to have a negative opinion of them- their customer service is too impressive to me.  I suppose you might just end up telling me that the store employees are involved- if that's the case I guess I will not pursue trying to convince you of the truth.

Mole, please let me know by the end of the week.  If I haven't heard from you by Friday I am going to make the call without you. 

Dyson... Sheesh...  *rolls eyes*.  I love my Verve.  The marketing alone tells me something is wrong with Dyson.

Regards,

Tech
mole

Reply #58   Aug 4, 2008 6:22 pm
Make sure you get John Kaido on the call

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #59   Aug 4, 2008 6:30 pm
Hello David:

Glad to hear that all's well that ends well.  Please remember to post a review and enjoy vacuuming with your new Verve.

MOLE, like me, is a seasoned veteran of the vacuum industry.  We're from the old school and when the usual safety features don't work, we start suspecting the worse.  Do not take umbrage. 

Perhaps the lack of the "click" played a role in the problem you experienced.  But without a doubt the store and staff were slipshod with you and the vacuum/sale/demo. 

Try the bag and see if you have a feel/knack for the correct installation.  Be not afraid.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #60   Aug 4, 2008 10:31 pm
techphet wrote:
Wow, thread sure took off... I'll have to read through the replies later as I only have a few minutes right now.

An update, however...

I was reading through the instruction manual and read that when inserting the bag I am supposed to listen for a "click."  I had taken the bag out of the previous vacuum when inspecting it to determine if it was used or not and when I put it back in I heard no "click," (didn't know I was supposed to).  I'm not sure if this could be the cause of the problem or not?  I am hesitant to open the bag compartment to look inside my new vacuum- should there be any issue with doing this?

Regards,

Tech

Now we are getting somewhere.  You did mess w/the bag.  Make sure that you read the instructions and understand them.  You are not going to really hear a "click"all that well.  You are going to feel something more than hear.  When you insert the bag collar in the holder, you will slide it all the way in.  It will hit a bump on both sides.  When you close the lid, it will close very easily.   You can look through the intake(where the hose connects to the machine) and see the inside of the bag.  You will not see any part of the cardboard collar if the bag is installed properly.  The lid can be opened and closed multiple times w/o hurting the bag.

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum  will take care of you."
This message was modified Aug 4, 2008 by Mike_W
techphet

Reply #61   Aug 5, 2008 3:00 am
Mike_W wrote:
Make sure that you read the instructions and understand them. 

Mike,

Now that I have an instruction manual that's a lot easier to do.  If the manual had been linked under the product page on the website I would have found it there.  "About MY Simplicity"  sounds to me like something a user needs to register for (like 'My Yahoo').  "About Simplicity," is where I would expect to find a company history and contact information. 

Thanks for the tips- I'm sure I'll be looking through the intake each time I install a bag.  I would hate for the inside of my bag compartment to be such a mess again. 

Carmine,

The store definitely has some room for improvement but the way they treated me makes up for any mishaps.  It might be a few days before I build up the bravery to open the bag compartment- besides, I wouldn't want to let any dust in.  I take a bit too much offense anytime someone insinuates that I am lying. 

Tech
Replies: 52 - 61 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42