Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > comparing the dyson with the 90's fantoms

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

comparing the dyson with the 90's fantoms
Original Message   Jul 21, 2008 11:24 am
I was just watching my Fantom Fury video (have the video, not the machine though I was obsessed with them as a teenager) and it said that if the dirt in the chamber ever stopped spinning, the user should check the machine for a clog. 

My Dyson DC14 actually has baffles in the dirt chamber that inhibit spinning of the dirt.  When I vacuum with it, the dirt just kind of lays in the chamber without moving.  The cat hair usually gets stuck on the baffles, and the heavier sand falls to the back of the chamber as the reclined position of the handle would dictate. 
Replies: 17 - 26 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mole

Re: comparing the dyson with the 90's fantoms
Reply #17   Jul 22, 2008 8:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
"Plush" is the word EUREKA uses for the claim comparing the $150 Boss Smart Vacuum to the $400 DC07.  BTW, in every Consumer Reports that rates vacuums and includes the EUREKA BOSS Smart Vacuum,  the BOSS rates an "Excellent" for performance on Bare floors.  You claim it failed miserably.  Interesting?  Did you set the BOSS to the bare floor adjustment? 

Interesting too, based on your lone perspective, that dyson never ever contests the EUREKA claim and/or offers its own test findings to contradict EUREKA's claim.  Why?  HAs to have a reason[s].  Wouldn't you think?

Dyson shows it is not shy about officially filing to dispute claims by other makers which put dyson in a poor [read humiliating] light.  Of course, now the ASA ruling eliminates any doubt that the Electrolux Intensity [MSRP in the US is $299] has 50 percent more suction at the brush roll [with a full paper bag that needs changing] than a DC14. 

BTW, the recent ASA ruling certainly gives alot of credence [read truth] to VF's findings and conclusions about a DC14 vice a bagless BISSELL Cleanview.  The $60 BISSELL Cleanview outcleans the more expensive dyson [after VF's assurance and actions that his DC14 is running properly].  Why?  BISSELL has a better brush roll?  A rug height adjustment?  Both?   Perhaps a BISSELL has more suction [at the brush roll] than a DC14?  Like the Intensity?  Surely it can't be the BISSELL headlight! 

Carmine D.

The BISSELL,bagged or bagless clear view or  cleanview,whatever your choice, have the same brushrollor and belt set up as a hoover tempo,[the bearing caps on the bissell are different]

For a big box $ 69.95er, this machine cleans and grooms the rug as good as any vacuum out there at any price,if the machine is maintained right,new belt every 6 months,filter washed or changed per manufactures specs,this a great bang for the buck vacuum, it's about the only good thing that bissell makes...............

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #18   Jul 23, 2008 12:19 pm
Hey there MOLE:

Interesting.  I knew BISSELL with the HEALTHY HOME copied the HOOVER WT brush roll but didn't realize it copied the HOOVER TEMPO brush roll too!   Why not?  Why reinvent the wheel? If there is one already that is praise and performance worthy, then go for it.  Might as well take advantage of the best the industry has to offer.  Ironically, I believe all these models have received Consumer Reports' Best Buys for vacuums and/or ranked in the top ten.  Must be the brush roll!!!  EUREKA!!!!

I'm sorry I missed the VDTA exhibit on vacuum brush rolls in the industry through the years.  I'm sure it was valuable.  Especially for any youngins who missed the evolution of the brush roll [read: facts and circumstances] by the nature of their age. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 23, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #19   Jul 23, 2008 5:07 pm
mole wrote:

The BISSELL,bagged or bagless clear view or  cleanview,whatever your choice, have the same brushrollor and belt set up as a hoover tempo,[the bearing caps on the bissell are different]

For a big box $ 69.95er, this machine cleans and grooms the rug as good as any vacuum out there at any price,if the machine is maintained right,new belt every 6 months,filter washed or changed per manufactures specs,this a great bang for the buck vacuum, it's about the only good thing that bissell makes...............

MOLE

What a POS.  I can't  believe that the filter requires maintenance or replacement.
CarmineD

Reply #20   Jul 23, 2008 8:06 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
What a POS.  I can't  believe that the filter requires maintenance or replacement.

HS:

You can always remove the dirty filter and toss it.  Use the vacuum w/o it.  Then, when the vacuum quits running, buy a new one for $60 [that's the cost of the pre and post motor filters for your fave brand].  And the BISSELL does a better cleaning job on rugs, since it uses a HOOVER brush roll. 

At that rate you can buy 6 new BISSELL Cleanviews over the course of 6 plus years for $360 and have enough money left over for a some lattes at STARBUCKS and some big Macs at McDonalds.  No bags, no filters, no belts.  No maintenance save dirt bin dumping.  No extra costs after purchase. 

As my Jewish Aunt use to say:  Such a deal!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 23, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #21   Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

You can always remove the dirty filter and toss it.  Use the vacuum w/o it.  Then, when the vacuum quits running, buy a new one for $60 [that's the cost of the pre and post motor filters for your fave brand].  And the BISSELL does a better cleaning job on rugs, since it uses a HOOVER brush roll. 

At that rate you can buy 6 new BISSELL Cleanviews over the course of 6 plus years for $360 and have enough money left over for a some lattes at STARBUCKS and some big Macs at McDonalds.  No bags, no filters, no belts.  No maintenance save dirt bin dumping.  No extra costs after purchase. 

As my Jewish Aunt use to say:  Such a deal!

Carmine D.

You didn't know what brush roll it had before mole told you.  Now in your lone opinion it out performs everything.  The amusing thing is that it is better than an $800 Oreck.

CarmineD

Reply #22   Jul 24, 2008 7:03 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Now in your lone opinion it [BISELL] out performs everything.  The amusing thing is that it is better than an $800 Oreck.

HS:

Not true, on both accounts.  I'm accepting the experiences related by VF and his friend along with the recent ASA ruling upholding the Electrolux Intensity [MSRP $299] claim that it has 50 percent more suction at the brush roll [with a full bag] than a dyson DC14 [MSRP $439]. 

First, VF said his friend's $60 bagless BISSELL Cleanview outperformed a DC14 dyson for rug cleaning.  MOLE added it is likely the brush roll that beats a dyson DC14 in a match off for rug cleaning.  Opining that the BISSELL brush roll is an exact copy of the HOOVER TEMPO [MSRP $60 typically a Consumer Reports BEST BUY and top 10 rated upright].  CR recommended the HOOVER TEMPO lightweight over the DC18 Slim [MSRP $469] in a match off.  While I don't have any personal experience with a BISSELL Cleanview bagless, I do with the bagged HOOVER TEMPO.  It's a steal for $60 and will match up worthily in performance with any of today's brands costing 8-10 times more.  I agree with MOLE and understand his reasons for complimenting the BISSELL.  It's the brush roll! [no mention of stupid]. 

Second, the $740 ORECK [with a 21 year warranty] is typically rated around 10-12  in the field of Consumer Reports tested uprights.  This is is much better than all the BISSELL-s, save the HEALTHY HOME [$250], which makes the top 10.  Tho, the BISSELL bagless models [MSRP $60-$90] have been rated a CR BEST BUY. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 24, 2008 by CarmineD
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #23   Jul 24, 2008 11:17 am
The funny thing is that I actually wanted my Dyson to outperform any other cleaner I tried it against... I like it.  I'm not anti-Dyson.  It wouldn't surprise me if a Bissell could outperform a power nozzle on a stick... I mean an Oreck.  So could a broom and dustpan. 

Give me a Hoover Concept (power drive) any day!
mole

Reply #24   Aug 10, 2008 2:50 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
The funny thing is that I actually wanted my Dyson to outperform any other cleaner I tried it against... I like it.  I'm not anti-Dyson.[well almost]....

Give me a Hoover Concept (power drive) any day!

Now your getting a little piece of brain.....

MOLE

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #25   Aug 10, 2008 7:46 pm
Why I'm not quite sure how to take that, sir.  Never heard that expression before!
DysonInventsBig

Reply #26   Aug 12, 2008 4:05 pm

VacuumFreake,

Take it as a put down.  Mole goes after Dyson the man, his products and most all James Dyson does and says, as well as those who use Dyson products or support Dyson the corp/the man.

Are you still interested in the Dyson-Fantom/Iona connection?...  Here's James Dyson’s pre-Iona dual cyclone U.S. patent - filed in 1984.  Here is a Fantom Capture dual cyclonic upright/dry shampooer that James’ 1st licensed to Iona and distributed in Canada/mostly America and U.S. patent - filed in 1988.         DIB

This message was modified Aug 12, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

Replies: 17 - 26 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42